Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Haiku thread

Starting this thread to present my Haiku's.
    As they to me are not my usual fair and perhaps should be placed in a separate category.

A New Dawn's Awakening

empty can, long road
    hill view, three horses below
    wet paint, broken bench

Robert J. Lindley, 4-11-2018
    Haiku, ( Seeing Is Believing)

Note- Things remembered and pondered in my youth.....

Copyright © Robert Lindley | Year Posted 2018
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 04-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Likes LongTermGuy, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Day's Adventures

bacon and three eggs
    red hues, shadows on the hills
    old man, one small dog

Robert J. Lindley, 4-13-2018
    Haiku, ( Where Is The Soap)

18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

4. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

When One Flows Into The Other

sunset, day has flown
    midnight moon, storm-less skies
    bowl, sweet cereal

Robert J. Lindley, 4-15-1018
    Haiku, ( Time and Human Existence)

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Exasperated

crumpled paper, floor
    grapevines, leaves on frozen ground
    poet, midnight moon

Robert J. Lindley, 4-19-2018
    Haiku, ( heartache)

8. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I know you don't like me wrecking your thread ... You know Haiku is a pro wrestler? The other wrestlers are scared to death of him.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, Mika-El liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I know you don't like me wrecking your thread ... You know Haiku is a pro wrestler? The other wrestlers are scared to death of him.
    I thought it was a form of Martial Arts...

12. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

A wrestler eh? Well when I first started, WRITING IN THAT POETRY FORM IT WAS LIKE A WRESTLING MATCH TO ME.
    Was very hard to turn off my creativity and limit the scope of my idea/thought and message.
    Also torture for me to write and have it not rhyme....-Tyr

hai·ku
    ˈhīˌko͞o/
    noun
    noun: haiku; plural noun: haikus; plural noun: haiku

a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world.
    an English imitation of this.

Haiku (or hokku)

A Japanese verse form most often composed, in English versions, of three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables. A haiku often features an image, or a pair of images, meant to depict the essence of a specific moment in time.

Not popularized in Western literature until the early 1900s, the form originates from the Japanese hokku, or the opening section of a longer renga sequence. In this context, the hokku served to begin a longer poem by establishing a season, often with a pair of seasonal images. Unlike the rest of the renga sequence, which was composed collaboratively, the hokku was often created by a single poet working alone, and was subsequently used as an exercise for students. Over time, the hokku began to be appreciated for its own worth and became distinct as a poetic form, formally mastered by poets such as Basho and Yosa Buson.

In 1905, Paul-Louis Couchoud became one of the first European translators of the form, converting many short Japanese verses into his native French. This began the popularization of haiku in Europe, where the form was translated by French and Spanish poets, such as José Juan Tablada. Throughout the two World Wars and the rise of Modernism, haikus were gradually adapted and celebrated by Imagist poets, such as Ezra Pound, H.D., and T.E. Hulme. In this context, the haiku was appreciated for its linguistic and sensory economy. Most notably Pound’s “In a Station of the Metro,” though not intended as a haiku, adapts the sparse, visual style of the Japanese form.

Despite its formal history, the haiku’s composition has expanded somewhat over time. This is due in part to the differences between the Japanese language and Western languages. In its original Japanese form, the haiku is often divided into 17 mora (a Japanese unit of syllable weight) and arranged in a single vertical line. However, in English there is no exact equivalent to the mora unit. As a result, in English and other languages, haikus are most frequently adapted into three lines of verse, usually unrhymed, composed of five, seven, and five syllables, adding up to seventeen syllables total. However, many American poets, such as Jack Kerouac, began to gradually depart from this traditional syllable and line count, in favor of depicting images as succinctly as possible.

Despite its many adaptions into multiple languages and styles, the haiku remains a powerful form due to its economic use of language to evoke a specific mood or instance. Most often occurring in the present tense, a haiku frequently depicts a moment by using pair of distinct images working in tandem, as in these lines by Kobayashi Issa, translated by Jane Hirshfield:

On a branch
    floating downriver
    a cricket, singing.

(Notice how, in translating from Japanese to English, Hirshfield compresses the number of syllables.)

The haiku continues to be a popular form today, and its different qualities have been emphasized and expanded by a wide variety of writers. Poets such as Etheridge Knight, emphasize the formal and sonic quality of the verse, as seen in his piece “Haiku,” whereas poets such as Scott Helmes have chosen to emphasize the haiku’s visual arrangement, as seen in his piece, “haiku #62.”

For further examples, see also “Three Haiku, Two Tanka” by Philip Appleman and Robert Hass’s “After the Gentle Poet Kobayashi Issa.” In addition, see the Imagist poets of the early 20th century, most notably Ezra Pound.

14. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I thought it was a form of Martial Arts...
    Some think it is a men's cologne.....--Tyr

16. Likes LongTermGuy, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Echoes Of The Past

green moss, low fog dawn
    windswept breeze through old willows
    tombstone, cold alone

Robert J. Lindley, 4-22-2018
    Haiku, ( Escaping Dreams)

18. Likes Drummond, Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    A wrestler eh? Well when I first started, WRITING IN THAT POETRY FORM IT WAS LIKE A WRESTLING MATCH TO ME.
    Was very hard to turn off my creativity and limit the scope of my idea/thought and message.
    Also torture for me to write and have it not rhyme....-Tyr

hai·ku
    ˈhīˌko͞o/
    noun
    noun: haiku; plural noun: haikus; plural noun: haiku

a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world.
    an English imitation of this.

Haiku (or hokku)

A Japanese verse form most often composed, in English versions, of three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables. A haiku often features an image, or a pair of images, meant to depict the essence of a specific moment in time.

Not popularized in Western literature until the early 1900s, the form originates from the Japanese hokku, or the opening section of a longer renga sequence. In this context, the hokku served to begin a longer poem by establishing a season, often with a pair of seasonal images. Unlike the rest of the renga sequence, which was composed collaboratively, the hokku was often created by a single poet working alone, and was subsequently used as an exercise for students. Over time, the hokku began to be appreciated for its own worth and became distinct as a poetic form, formally mastered by poets such as Basho and Yosa Buson.

In 1905, Paul-Louis Couchoud became one of the first European translators of the form, converting many short Japanese verses into his native French. This began the popularization of haiku in Europe, where the form was translated by French and Spanish poets, such as José Juan Tablada. Throughout the two World Wars and the rise of Modernism, haikus were gradually adapted and celebrated by Imagist poets, such as Ezra Pound, H.D., and T.E. Hulme. In this context, the haiku was appreciated for its linguistic and sensory economy. Most notably Pound’s “In a Station of the Metro,” though not intended as a haiku, adapts the sparse, visual style of the Japanese form.

Despite its formal history, the haiku’s composition has expanded somewhat over time. This is due in part to the differences between the Japanese language and Western languages. In its original Japanese form, the haiku is often divided into 17 mora (a Japanese unit of syllable weight) and arranged in a single vertical line. However, in English there is no exact equivalent to the mora unit. As a result, in English and other languages, haikus are most frequently adapted into three lines of verse, usually unrhymed, composed of five, seven, and five syllables, adding up to seventeen syllables total. However, many American poets, such as Jack Kerouac, began to gradually depart from this traditional syllable and line count, in favor of depicting images as succinctly as possible.

Despite its many adaptions into multiple languages and styles, the haiku remains a powerful form due to its economic use of language to evoke a specific mood or instance. Most often occurring in the present tense, a haiku frequently depicts a moment by using pair of distinct images working in tandem, as in these lines by Kobayashi Issa, translated by Jane Hirshfield:

On a branch
    floating downriver
    a cricket, singing.

(Notice how, in translating from Japanese to English, Hirshfield compresses the number of syllables.)

The haiku continues to be a popular form today, and its different qualities have been emphasized and expanded by a wide variety of writers. Poets such as Etheridge Knight, emphasize the formal and sonic quality of the verse, as seen in his piece “Haiku,” whereas poets such as Scott Helmes have chosen to emphasize the haiku’s visual arrangement, as seen in his piece, “haiku #62.”

For further examples, see also “Three Haiku, Two Tanka” by Philip Appleman and Robert Hass’s “After the Gentle Poet Kobayashi Issa.” In addition, see the Imagist poets of the early 20th century, most notably Ezra Pound.
    Samurai prided themselves on harmony. Poetry and gardening balanced the blade. There are a million cherry blossoms but no two is alike but each is perfect. Every one.

if you cannot understand the force that gives you life, you're just a murderer when you take one.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

20. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Once upon 6 a time there was this asshole. He'd kill without blinking an eye, despite what some people think he was or did. I watched him hold a dying baby in one arm and an M-M216 In the other. The baby still died. He met Christ that day. Jan 1992.
    Not that I know him.

Y'all can think what you want of that guy. He doesn't care. The Higher Person isn't any of you. He asked what I thought I was doing destroying a ville. Those are still his children.

didn't know what o say to a ghost. Was still holding a dead baby. Little jarbrains surrounded the Sgt while he buried the little guy. And then everybody fucking died. Not telling any of you anything esle except this

Guess why I hate abortion?

22. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

so tyr ,,, love the poetry. I know it well.

24. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

so tyr ,,, love the poetry. I know it well.
    If you also write poetry, then would be great if you present it here my friend.
    Always room for more poetry here.
    Even if it is only Haiku's.
    Writing haiku, is a new form to me but it has grown on me and yes , some Samurai warriors also wrote Haiku's..
    Some of the greatest warriors in history, were not only brave, fierce, courageous and tough but were deep thinkers(poets, writers/philosophers) as well.--Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 01-31-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    If you also write poetry, then would be great if you present it here my friend.
    Always room for more poetry here.
    Even if it is only Haiku's.
    Writing haiku, is a new form to me but it has grown on me and yes , some Samurai warriors also wrote Haiku's..
    Some of the greatest warriors in history, were not only brave, fierce, courageous and tough but were deep thinkers(writers/philosophers) as well.--Tyr
    The Book of 5 Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. If you can understand the words past just mouthing them (and I don't mean you tyr ,, that universal you us Southern folk always speak of you can learn something. It's a lesson of life and death and being a warrior, balance and knowing when to turn it off.

It's easy to turn it on. Off? Not so much.

Lesson: a true friend means you no harm and any question about such should be tempered by that fact. If that so called friend tries to hurt you for any reason guess he's not your friend after all, huh? You can lose family that way easier than you can friends.

If you jump to an unwise and hasty conclusion, you can lose that friend. Losing a friend is forever. Ensure the choice is wise and not driven by anger and pride. Your mouth can talk you into Hell in a second and years of talking yourself out means you still get no do-over.

27. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Deep Views

shovel, one small hole
    rooftop view, ants far below
    Forest, giant trees

Robert J. Lindley, 4-26-2018
    Haiku, (Things Felt and Seen)

29. Likes Drummond liked this post