Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Teen told to put Band-Aids on her niρρles so she wouldn't distract boys at school

U.S.
    Teen told to put Band-Aids on her niρρles so she wouldn't distract boys at school
    Sabrina Rojas Weiss 21 hours ago

Photo: Lizzy Martinez
    Photo: Courtesy of Lizzy Martinez

After a weekend in Orlando, 17-year-old Lizzie Martinez decided to go easy on her sunburned shoulders. So she went to school, Braden River High in Bradenton, Fla., without a bra under her oversize, gray, long-sleeved T-shirt. Those straps can sting when they rub against a sunburn!

I just expected to make it through a normal day, Martinez tells Yahoo Lifestyle. I didnt think anything of it.

But during the day, Martinez says school dean Violeta Velazquez called Martinez into her office and told her a teacher heard a boy in her class laughing and telling his friends about her lack of bra.
    The offending shirt. (Photo: Lizzy Martinez)
    The offending shirt. (Photo: Courtesy of Lizzy Martinez)

I never heard anybody, Martinez says. Velazquez had her put on an undershirt and then asked Martinez to stand up and move around, according to the teen. Not satisfied with the solution, Martinez says the dean asked the nurse to get her four Band-Aids and told her to go to the bathroom and X-out her nipples.

I got a text message from Lizzy that said, I feel completely sexualized and Im so embarrassed, Martinezs mother, Kari Knop, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. Knop left work and picked her daughter up from school right away. If this was a male dean, we would not even be having this discussion to try to justify the behavior.

Over the course of three conversations with school administrators, Knop says she heard different variations on the story because her daughter hadnt violated any dress code rule, she wasnt in trouble, but they also said that she was a distraction.

What about the kid that was supposedly cackling in the class? Knop said she asked during a meeting with the dean, the principal, and a representative of the school board. Thats social bullying. Did we address that? You have a zero tolerance for bullying in the school.

Martinez asked her mother to take their story to the local media to address the issue of body-shaming girls.

The dean told me it was to save myself from my own embarrassment, Martinez says. If it truly was that, the students that were talking about me, that should have been addressed and not me, because I wasnt the issue. I felt like they were shaming me into believing that I was the issue because I have a larger amount of breast tissue than most people at my school.

The school district has admitted that the deans way of addressing Martinez was wrong.

It is undisputed that this matter should have been handled differently at the school level, and corrective measures have been taken to prevent a reoccurrence in the way these matters will be addressed in the future, Mitchell Teitelbaum, the districts general counsel, told the Bradenton Herald in a prepared statement.

Knop tells Yahoo Lifestyle that school district Superintendent Diana Greene said in a phone conversation that she wanted to change the dress code to require girls to wear undergarments to avoid this kind of dispute in the future. Knop and her daughter dont think this would be fair, either.

Not that Im going to start a whole revolution about it, but if girls dont feel comfortable wearing bras, or whatever the case may be, I dont think they need to be held up to a standard that they have to, Martinez says.

Martinez is one of many students across the country who have been taking a stand against dress code rules that, at least in practice, some argue tend to discriminate against girls and children of color. Education and child psychology experts disagree with these schools justification that theyre protecting students from distraction.

Its much more disruptive, not just of that childs education but of all childrens education, to pull that kid out, to have him and his peers buzzing about, Is his hair going to get him in trouble? Deborah Gilboa, MD, a family physician and parenting expert, told Yahoo Lifestyle recently. That drives a wedge between the educators and the students, and puts them on opposite sides of an issue that doesnt have to be an issue.

Martinez, who attended the March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C., in March, has taken inspiration from the student activists from Parkland, Fla.

Theres a valuable lesson kids can learn when they question the rules, whether theyre about gun control, dress codes, or something else that affects their lives, Gilboa said.

Teaching kids how to create change within the systems in which they live, respectfully thats an incredibly useful skill, she said.
    If this was my teenage daughter and the female dean/principal made that request, I'd have no problem as log as it was done in n nice and respectful way. I do not see it as shaming , if her nipples were that prominent and truly a distraction to the boys. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Or keep very padded bras in stock just in case. Or any kids knowing they have, ummm, parts that are doing such things, maybe wear clothing and underparts to get rid of any, display?
    You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more? - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

So y'all should duct tape your dicks between your legs and not wear nut-hugger jeans? That woman's head would have exploded in the 70s.
    When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks LongTermGuy, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Or perhaps boys should be told that nipples are an ordinary body part that everyone (including boys) has, and told to just ignore it.
    Tight, form fitting jeans are popular among teens. I've never heard any stories about boys being shamed for displaying prominent bulges. Perhaps because men are not oversexualized like women are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Or perhaps boys should be told that nipples are an ordinary body part that everyone (including boys) has, and told to just ignore it.
    Tight, form fitting jeans are popular among teens. I've never heard any stories about boys being shamed for displaying prominent bulges. Perhaps because men are not oversexualized like women are.
    I beat you to it. Without all the blather.
    When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edumnd Burke

7. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I beat you to it. Without all the blather.
    I'm an educator. I enjoy blather.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

You're an educator. THAT is scary.

My previous comment is sarcasm. The woman went too far and the accusation swings both ways because I've seen some pretty vulgar guys. It's a non-issue. Don't look comes to mind.

10. Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So y'all should duct tape your dicks between your legs and not wear nut-hugger jeans? That woman's head would have exploded in the 70s.
    I think any dickhead wearing jeans to the point that you can see his eggs - SHOULD be forced to change!! LOL Same as any kids wearing clothing to where you can see there asscrack and underwear, all races these days that like to wear their clothes down below their butts. I say lift them up ya little bastards!
    You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more? - Chris Rock

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I think any dickhead wearing jeans to the point that you can see his eggs - SHOULD be forced to change!! LOL Same as any kids wearing clothing to where you can see there asscrack and underwear, all races these days that like to wear their clothes down below their butts. I say lift them up ya little bastards!
    I don't. It's not that big a deal to me. I don't see why people should care. Like I said, back in the 70s ...

Our jeans were so tight I can't even imagine I wore them, and "country and western style" is tight jeans even now. Girls routinely didn't wear bra's. It wasn't an issue. I was a teenager. I LIKED girls not wearing bra's And I wasn't checking out the dudes so that was a non-issue as well.

I remember our juvenile little asses making fun of girls that DID wear bras when half of us were still waiting on puberty to strike

This kind of crap drives me nuts. In one thread people are being gassed to death and in this one someone's worried about some girl's nipples. Mind boggling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd have to see the nipples to make a determination.

Having been a teenage boy and raised two teen aged boys, it can be a lot less than some nippleage to send a teen boy's mind to fantasy land.

15. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taco Junkie View Post
    I'd have to see the nipples to make a determination.

Having been a teenage boy and raised two teen aged boys, it can be a lot less than some nippleage to send a teen boy's mind to fantasy land.
    Hot and breathing usually worked for me

17. Likes Taco Junkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Back in 1970 I was age 16 and something similar happened at our high school. Mr. Jones our principal called a ravishingly beautiful and sexy senior girl from out of 3rd period study hall because her miniskirt was too short(which she had been doing for a few months(to our delight) and hell it was-- but just not too short for we boys, as we thought it great.
    She was sent home to change clothes. Nobody raised a stink about it and after that she wore far less revealing clothes.
    Her miniskirt was so short that without even trying you'd see her panties full view when she sat down.......
    Which caused many a young lad's stiff attention to appear. True incident and even had she not worn such revealing clothes she was so very hot, hot , hot that it was mind boggling.
    I heard later, her second year at college she got pregnant and married the guy.
    She certainly gave me cause to hit the red zone and wish that I was two/three years older. --Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 04-08-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    18 U.S. Code 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes mundame liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

21. Thanks Taco Junkie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

As long as the boys don't get adverse action for noticing. That would be like giving someone a hard time because their mouth waters when they see and smell smoked brisket. After all, it's just food and everybody eats.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)