Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Chandler honored with Quilt of Valor

Chandler honored with Quilt of Valor

Friday, March 9, 2018
    By COREY CLAIRDAY, DT News Staff

A Trumann veteran who served in both the Korean and Vietnam wars was awarded a Quilt of Valor recently. Carlton Chandler served in the U.S. Army for 21 years from October of 1949 until July of 1970, and after receiving the quilt surrounded by family and friends at his home, he said it was the first time he had been publicly recognized for his service.
    Carlton Chandler is presented with a Quilt of Valor for his military service. (DT Photo/Corey Clairday)

Chandler, who turns 86 next month, was born in Good Luck between Bay and Lunsford. His family lived in Mississippi for a time before moving to Trumann when he 15 years old. He went into the Army when he was 17. After basic training, he was sent to Japan before serving two combat tours in Korea. After Korea, he spent time at Fort Bragg, N.C.; Hawaii; and San Antonio, Texas, before serving in Vietnam. After time there, he and his wife, Irene, who he married in 1956, went to Milwaukee, Wis., before he went back to Vietnam.

After that, Chandler retired from the military and worked at a Ford factory in Michigan. He and his wife then lived in New Mexico and Texas before coming back to Trumann, where they have lived for the past 32 years. They have three children: Renata Smotts, Mike Chandler, and Kim Chandler.

Quilts of Valor is a nonprofit group that was founded in 2003 by Catherine Roberts, who had a son serving in Iraq at the time. According to Ginny Musgrove, who presented the quilt, each quilt is handmade by volunteers and awarded to veterans in honor of their service, as a thank you for their sacrifice, and to offer them comfort in knowing "they are forever in our thoughts and hearts." The Disabled Amercian Veterans also helped set up the quilt presentation.

"It is a great honor," Carlton Chandler said. "They put a lot of work into that quilt. When I first came back from Korea, people treated us like second-rate citizens. It feels good to finally be recognized for our service to our country."

"When all of them returned from North Korea and Vietnam, they had no recognition," Irene Chandler said. "I'm thrilled he's being honored this way. This is an honor not all men get. I'm very thankful to the Lord he's getting this."
    Another view of the quilt presented to Carlton Chandler.
    News from Trumann ,honoring a military veteran that fought in two wars..
    Trumann, Ark. is about 14 miles from the town that I was born and raised in.
    As it brings a smile when I read about these men getting the recognition and admiration that they so truly deserve for their service to our nation.
    And that instead of articles,news stories, etc. about reparations for blacks, that do nothing but cry and beg for more damn dem/lib gubbermint freebies!!--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    News from Trumann ,honoring a military veteran that fought in two wars..
    Trumann, Ark. is about 14 miles from the town that I was born and raised in.
    As it brings a smile when I read about these men getting the recognition and admiration that they so truly deserve for their service to our nation.
    And that instead of articles,news stories, etc. about reparations for blacks, that do nothing but cry and beg for more damn dem/lib gubbermint freebies!!--Tyr
    That is a great gesture.

Every year on Veteran's Day, Curry County OR hands out quilts to Vet's and persons supporting Vets
    who have displayed diligent honor and devotion to the County Vet's support organizations.

This is done at the County Veteran's, Peace Officer, and Firefighter, Memorial at the south end
    of Gold Beach OR along U.S. 101.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!