Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default How Big Govt-backed Bad Science made americans fat

'nuff said.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the foods fault for being so delicious!lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Too much junk/fast food, not enough exercise, sedentary life styles = fat people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I have a love/hate relationship with this topic. I made the mistake when I was a young Devilpup of taking a course in nutrition. Crap like that doesn't go well with OCD.

I agree the government is mostly full of crap on the topic of nutrition the same as it is on pretty-much ANY topic they receive research funding for. It has completely reversed itself many times over the years. Potatoes, bread, milk and red meat are the top ones that come to mind. They're good for you. No wait ... they're bad for you. Oops ... our bad ... they're good for you again

Product manufacturers are allowed to lie on the ingredients in their products, but supposedly not. If you actually know anything about breaking down calories and how they metabolize, you know you're being lied to. The ingredients listed are factually correct on the package as required by law. What they really are is another matter.

I don't agree that bad science alone has led to obesity. Gluttony certainly plays a BIG part. Our society today demands everything feel good and taste good, and if it does, they just eat without boundaries. Overeating is an addiction like any other. Hard habit to break.

You can't blame the food for being there, and I'm really against telling others what to and not to eat. Marketing to children is a BIG factor. Damn right they want something sweet. Didn't we all? Wonder what they'd do now if "something sweet" was a wad of sap from a beech tree like it was at one time?

Lazy and/or overindulgent parents are partly to blame. They'll stuff something with zero nutritional value in it into a kid's mouth to shut them up, and hitting the drive-thru on the way home sounds WAY more convenient than busting out the cookware, making dinner, and cleaning up.

And fad diets? They are a temporary fix with a temporary goal for a permanent problem. Same with all these fat burner products they sell. Not saying they don't work for some, but in general, they're somebody's way to get rich off other other people's problems. And both might achieve the temporary results, but if any of the underlying issues for obesity, such as heart disease, diabetes, etc they can do more harm than good to your health and some --especially damage to the heart, liver and kidneys -- cannot be reversed. Though they stick the the burb "consult your physician" in their literature, who really does? And if your physician doesn't know crap about nutrition you may as well pull up google.

People eat until they are stuffed. Your body is going to burn X amount of that and store the rest, and no matter what the label tell you it is, anything you don't use/burn off is going to metabolize into and be stored as fat. Your body can process only so many calories at a time. For instance, on I remember for sure is it will process roughly only 4 ounces of protein at one time. That 8 ounce steak? Stored as fat or expensive poop.

So I would say a lack of education would be another reason. Lack of desire to educate one's self another.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I'm an amateur prepper ... I'm storing extra pounds for when TSHTF.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I'm an amateur prepper ... I'm storing extra pounds for when TSHTF.
    Problematic. I would probably starve first, and be the first to catch hypothermia in the from a prolonged period in cold waters. Or just cold, I guess.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke