Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Just Baked Computer #2...

NOTE TO SELF: Place shop computer in spot where DUST will be at a minimum.

In all fairness, they were old. First one my son built and it was a total POS old thing, and it crapped out because of an update. The other one has to be going on 8 years old and I've had plenty of problems with it, an ASUS. It just locked up, tried restarting it, did all kinds of strange things, finally KINDA got it working but it was super, SUPER slow. Opened it up and it was packed with dust. Took it outside and blew it out. Restarted it and kinda got it working but it was so slow I couldn't even get into any of the utilities or programs to try and fix it. It finally just got into a screwy BIOS loop and wouldn't even boot. Just put a $125 PNY video card in it too. Oh well, could have been the dust, could have just been old, IDK, but it's going to get the Hitlery treatment tomorrow, after I take the video card out.

So... I bought a new HP to replace the old thing my son built and I'm real happy with it, so I bought a higher end one on Amazon. Figured get a good one and hope it lasts as long as the ASUS did. I did pop for an extra 4 year warranty. Thought it might be a good idea...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Next time that happens, take every last piece out and clean them individually. Sometimes it can be just the video card, and the machine allows basic but won't boot on over heated card. Could be HDD, memory, CPU, motherboard. I'm a parts keeper, I like to take it all out, rebuild and find bogus pieces, replace and rebuild. And if not, test and keep good pieces for future use!

Your new one - I LOVE the I7, that's an awesome processor and you'll be pleased with the processing power! If me, I would add another 4gig of memory, you're that close, have the full 16! 1 terabyte drive should be more than enough for the life. And that's a great price! I build and sell, and that's about cost for me after build before any testing and profit! Great deal there.

If you need some software, hit me up, I may be able to help.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Next time that happens, take every last piece out and clean them individually. Sometimes it can be just the video card, and the machine allows basic but won't boot on over heated card. Could be HDD, memory, CPU, motherboard. I'm a parts keeper, I like to take it all out, rebuild and find bogus pieces, replace and rebuild. And if not, test and keep good pieces for future use!

Your new one - I LOVE the I7, that's an awesome processor and you'll be pleased with the processing power! If me, I would add another 4gig of memory, you're that close, have the full 16! 1 terabyte drive should be more than enough for the life. And that's a great price! I build and sell, and that's about cost for me after build before any testing and profit! Great deal there.

If you need some software, hit me up, I may be able to help.
    I bought this newest computers little brother, the HP Pavilion 570-023, with an i5 but also 128G-SSD. It's real fast and so far I love it, so I'm hoping I'll like the big brother HP as well.

Yeah I did get a screen right before the computer just kept giving me the black BIOS info screen that some important file was missing. I did do a bunch of hard turn offs so I probably corrupted the OS, but it was running so slow that is was just one step up from total lock up. I couldn't get anywhere in the utilities or programs to try anything to fix it, it just sat there and did nothing after you click on something. I'll scavenge the PNY video card and give the hard drive the Hitlery treatment. Maybe put the rest on craigslist for $50. I mean it is old. It was designed around W7, and it's time to move on from that. It never ran right with W10 in it either.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-09-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Looks like a pretty nice computer that you bought, the only things I would have changed would have been to have a decent Vid Card in it and added SSD for fast boots - eliminating the need to just have them sleep, which is probably why it was so choked with dust because if your fans are turning, they're sucking in dust particles.

You can have your computer fully booted in seconds with a SSD... they're pretty amazing.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

7. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Looks like a pretty nice computer that you bought, the only things I would have changed would have been to have a decent Vid Card in it and added SSD for fast boots - eliminating the need to just have them sleep, which is probably why it was so choked with dust because if your fans are turning, they're sucking in dust particles.

You can have your computer fully booted in seconds with a SSD... they're pretty amazing.
    Yeps, HUGE difference in booting time. I have a 240gb SSD with my OS just for booting, and then a few terabyte drives as D and E after that for most apps and storage and music and some other warez.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post

I just happen to have a very nice PNY video card that came out of the old ASUS... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The HP I already bought does have a 128GB SSD. It does boot quick.

The old computer in the shop was packed with dust because of me being careless mainly, doing wood projects cutting wood, die grinding metal and/or just sweeping and not covering it up, it was abnormally packed with all kinds of dust... my fault. I'm going to throw a towel over the new one I put out there when I sweep or work on projects that cause dust. Since now I'll have two new desktops, and I wasn't planning on having to replace them so it was a hit to the budget, I surely don't want to ruin a brand new machine.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

11. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

UPDATE: Out of curiosity, wondering if letting the old ASUS sit, if it would act differently, I was able to get it to boot to disc and it appears it's reloading W7. If it works and I'm able to get it running again, I'm going to cancel that new computer order and save some money. The only thing I use that shop computer for is listening to Spotify and look up something, usually auto parts and such. I don't need anything fancy. I hope like heck I can get this thing running again. I would really love to save the money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well, I was able to load W7, and it did appear to kinda be working. It was still slow but not locked up kinda slow. Thought I might get somewhere but went to restart it and it said "unable to restart computer," so... it's been dismantled and the hard drive got the Redwing mineral pic hammer treatment. Something was catastrophically wrong, something fried on the mother board probably.

I backed out on that bigger HP computer too. It was taking forever to ship anyway so I cancelled it. There's a ton of the same computer I bought not long ago for sale online. I'm watching one on ebay in an auction. Going to save a couple hundred bucks +, and I'm real happy with that computer anyway, it's fast, it's new, it has HDMI and built in wifi and bluetooth... good enough.