Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'm trying to remember, but back in the day when 4-wheelers were actually 4-wheelers (late 60s - early 70s) wasn't the "Jimmy" GMC's version of the Chevy Blazer (full size)?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Mine's not a Jimmy. Those are GMC's small trucks. I have to be careful where I park in mine so I can get out without crushing someone.

The color is "fire engine red". It's a bit brighter. My truck was the first year they had the Heavy Duty model and the 6.0 litre engine. Basically, I bought an experiment

GM always tests their trucks out as GMC's to see if they will catch on. If they do, you will find a spiffier version in the Chevy Silverado; which, is exactly what happened with the HD. All of the big American auto makers used to do that. Oldsmobile was the test run for Buick. Ford was the test run for Mercury. GMC for Chevy.

In 17 years I have had to change the oil, replace the battery a couple times and change out a burnt out light bulb. Oh, and new tires and I DID ditch the factory rims as quickly as I could. Other than that, I've had zero issues with it. Most importantly ... it's paid for. THAT alone keeps me hesitant to get anything new. I really don't need a 3/4 ton pickup to run back and forth to the store. When I got it, I was doing commercial electrical work and owned my own house so it came in quite handy.
    Yeah actually I think where the "Jimmy" caught on was the little 1/4 ton 4x4 thingie... so... GMC! ...

That 6.0 ltr is a beast of an engine, bullet proof... damn good motor. I have the same thing in my 2015. The thing I really like about the 3/4 ton 6.0 ltr is it doesn't do that 8 to 4 to 8 to 4, back and forth shutting off half the engine crap. All the half tons do, 3/4 tons don't. The 3/4 tons have the nice 6 speed heavy duty automatic transmission too, and the half tons have that freakin' weird EIGHT SPEED. I wouldn't buy a new half ton, seriously, I don't want half my frickin' engine inadvertently shutting off, and I don't need EIGHT friggin' gears in the tranny. I have a couple friends that half bought the new 2018's with the 6.2 ltr and 8 speeds, and all I hear them do is BITCH. They say the trans hunts around for gears and feels weird most of the time, even my 6 speed does sometimes, I couldn't imagine an 8 speed, in a SMALLER truck... how stupid.

Is your's a 4x4?

Yeah this is what I'll trade in on the Camaro... my 2015, Chevy, Silverado, 2500HD, Z71, LTZ...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-16-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I just bought a new Denali last year. Had a 2004 for 13 years. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
    @SassyLady ... here's my 2011 Tahoe. I no longer have it. I traded this in on my 2015 Silverado. The Tahoe developed some kind of static drain problem and it would run the battery dead just sitting. No warranty so down the road it went. I did love that thing though... had a Bose surround sound theater in it...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-16-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah actually I think where the "Jimmy" caught on was the little 1/4 ton 4x4 thingie... so... GMC! ...

That 6.0 ltr is a beast of an engine, bullet proof... damn good motor. I have the same thing in my 2015. The thing I really like about the 3/4 ton 6.0 ltr is it doesn't do that 8 to 4 to 8 to 4, back and forth shutting off half the engine crap. All the half tons do, 3/4 tons don't. The 3/4 tons have the nice 6 speed heavy duty automatic transmission too, and the half tons have that freakin' weird EIGHT SPEED. I wouldn't buy a new half ton, seriously, I don't want half my frickin' engine inadvertently shutting off, and I don't need EIGHT friggin' gears in the tranny. I have a couple friends that half bought the new 2018's with the 6.2 ltr and 8 speeds, and all I hear them do is BITCH. They say the trans hunts around for gears and feels weird most of the time, even my 6 speed does sometimes, I couldn't imagine an 8 speed, in a SMALLER truck... how stupid.

Is your's a 4x4?

Yeah this is what I'll trade in on the Camaro... my 2015, Chevy, Silverado, 2500HD, Z71, LTZ...

Mine's a 2x4. I learned from 4-wheeling you don't need a 4x4 hardly ever unless you're 4-wheeling. Yes, it can come in handy that one time you need it, but around here you just don't need it. Even when I was in IL and there was 14" of snow and ice on the ground I didn't need it. Knowing how to drive and use the truck is more important to me.

Funny story. When I went from Okinawa back to 29 Palms they said , "Ha ha, you have the drive the Capt when we go out in the field". So let me get this straight: You're going to put me in a Jeep (we still had those Ford "Mutt" Jeeps), in the desert and we're going camping and shooting? P-L-E-A-S-E don't throw me in that briar patch, Brer Fox!
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'm trying to remember, but back in the day when 4-wheelers were actually 4-wheelers (late 60s - early 70s) wasn't the "Jimmy" GMC's version of the Chevy Blazer (full size)?
    I do believe this little gutless 1/4 ton GMC 4x4 is where the "Jimmy" thing started...

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Speaking of fast...check out this in-car miata vid :-)

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

8. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I do believe this little gutless 1/4 ton GMC 4x4 is where the "Jimmy" thing started...

Yeah. They had a 2.nothing v-6 in them. I was looking at them one time. Supposedly, it was a Chevy 305 with two cylinders shaved off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Mine's a 2x4. I learned from 4-wheeling you don't need a 4x4 hardly ever unless you're 4-wheeling. Yes, it can come in handy that one time you need it, but around here you just don't need it. Even when I was in IL and there was 14" of snow and ice on the ground I didn't need it. Knowing how to drive and use the truck is more important to me.
    That's true, you don't really need a 4 wheel drive in TX. The state is virtually all flat and it never snows there. Different story around here in the hills in Wisconsin. Not many 2x4's around here period, everything they sell is 4 wheel drive. Hard to find a 2 wheel drive truck around here in fact.

Funny story. When I went from Okinawa back to 29 Palms they said , "Ha ha, you have the drive the Capt when we go out in the field". So let me get this straight: You're going to put me in a Jeep (we still had those Ford "Mutt" Jeeps), in the desert and we're going camping and shooting? P-L-E-A-S-E don't throw me in that briar patch, Brer Fox!
    I don't believe I've ever seen one of those Ford Jeeps... in fact I know I haven't.

My brother drove his commander around in a Jeep when he was stationed in Germany in the Army. They had given him a desk job after Vietnam and he loved it. It didn't last long but he said if he could have stayed in Germany at that job, he'd have reenlisted.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-16-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yeah. They had a 2.nothing v-6 in them. I was looking at them one time. Supposedly, it was a Chevy 305 with two cylinders shaved off.
    Exactly right, Chevy small block with 2 cylinders cut off. They were true boat anchors. The carberated versions were absolutely worthless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Speaking of fast...check out this in-car miata vid :-)

My sons first wife bought a new little red Miata when they were in the Army stationed in Colorado Springs, Fort Carson.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

That's true, you don't really need a 4 wheel drive in TX. The state is virtually all flat and it never snows there. Different story around here in the hills in Wisconsin. Not many 2x4's around here period, everything they sell is 4 wheel drive. Hard to find a 2 wheel drive truck around here in fact.

I don't believe I've ever seen one of those Ford Jeeps... in fact I know I haven't.

My brother drove his commander around in a Jeep when he was stationed in Germany in the Army. They had given him a desk job after Vietnam and he loved it. It didn't last long but he said if he could have stayed in Germany at that job, he'd have reenlisted.
    You watch too much tv. I live in the'Hill Country. If you got a weak engine, you'll be pulling 30 mph by the time you get to the top of one of these "hills". I HATED driving the company truck to Kerville. That thing had about as much guts as Obama. I finally told them f you, let the helper drive. I'm taking my own sh*t.

If I lived in the country I would completely revisit that whole 4x4 thing. When considering it though, I hardly ever go off road and I lived on the edge of San Antonio because the work was in town. I'd have much rather lived outside the city.

Probably never saw the Jeeps because you zoomies like to drive around in those blue pickups. It's a Vietnam-era Jeep called a Ford "Mutt" because whoever owns Jeep owns the trademark for the name "Jeep" (which is actually military slang for G,P. - general purpose vehicle. When Ford got the contract, they could use neither the mname nor the grill which is also trademarked.

So the Mutts look and act like Jeeps and we called them Jeeps. They are noticeable because the grill slots are horizontal instead of vertical.
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-16-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well, I just talked with my salesman, told him I was going to mow grass and what not, had to be here for the new computer to be dropped off around 1:00, then I'd come up, so... make me a deal I can't refuse...

I could be posting a pic of the SS in my driveway later this afternoon, and I'd love to... all depends on the deal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    What. the. fuck? The ZL1? For a 16 year old?

Do they hate the kid? Do they want him to die?

Yeah, I know, huh?! Apparently it has safety package where parents can program it to not allow to go faster, etc. And something called GEO Fence. They will get real time notifications of speed, etc. And can have OnStar shut it down if needed. It's way too complicated for me.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Yeah, I know, huh?! Apparently it has safety package where parents can program it to not allow to go faster, etc. And something called GEO Fence. They will get real time notifications of speed, etc. And can have OnStar shut it down if needed. It's way too complicated for me.
    And that's assuming kids can't reprogram it.

18. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure that this is what you secretly want. I think you ALL secretly want this beast. I know I do!!! And for those that say no - PLEASE - if you happen to be rich, can you buy me one?

Specs? it's a BEAST! Look it up. Like a million horsepower and 0-60 in like 1 second. Seriously though, this is a great car.

Oh, btw, it's a 2019 Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

20. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post