Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default Is Honesty Obsolete?

Yesterday was the be-bop's first birthday. So I got him a little baby pool at Dollar General (big spender, I know ). I get home and find out I had grabbed 2 pools. My granddaughters who could rival ANY cat burglars in the world made a big deal about it and I just said I'd pay for it tomorrow (today). No big deal. That of course is not going to shut up 5 and 9 years old girls for jack.

So I go back today and got my chips and sodas and told the guy I owed him $8 for the pool because I grabbed 2 instead of one. He didn't know what to do and couldn't believe I came back to pay for it. He told me not to worry about it. Wrong. He had to call his manager. I take it there's not a test to work at Dollar General. The manager thanked me for not screwing him on his inventory and it was done.

Don't know about anyone else but I would have drove myself nuts knowing I hadn't paid the measly $8 for the pool.

Then it hit me. When I was younger I remember watching my grandfather argue with the cashier at HEB because she gave him a dime too much in change. I've turned into my grandfather

There are worse people I could be like
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yes, it is almost obsolete.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Thanks Gunny, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yes, it is almost obsolete.
    Yeah. You'd think I'd learn. I always manage to get burned from expecting honesty and getting the opposite. Oh well. I don't have to answer for them in the end. Just me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

To be honest (no pun intended ), I know it is unChristian-like to lie and steal but the actual understanding of the morality came in second to practicality with me.

When you get a dose of your own medicine and sh*t-for-brains steal something you worked your butt off to get, you get the "now you know how it feels" feeling and you got no right to bitch because what goes around just came around.

I don't lie because I'm too lazy to remember them I don't know a better way to put that. Liars have to remember all their lies or they get busted sooner or later. And once you're a liar, you're forever a liar. Doesn't seem much worth it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default For many Americans....

Yes. Honesty is given up, and replaced by political correctness, and fear of being accused of any number of things IF YOU ARE HONEST. Because all of the Liars are Uninformed, Lazy, Selfish, and have no personal responsibility to obey rules, laws, or anyone who tells the TRUTH.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

8. Thanks Black Diamond, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Yes. Honesty is given up, and replaced by political correctness, and fear of being accused of any number of things IF YOU ARE HONEST. Because all of the Liars are Uninformed, Lazy, Selfish, and have no personal responsibility to obey rules, laws, or anyone who tells the TRUTH.
    I think it's a shame. I was taught from before I can remember that a man is only as good as his word.

I fall into that trap a lot on message boards especially. Not this one so unless it's someone who disagrees with me politically and is looking for a label, but I serious have no reason to, and as previously stated too lazy to lie. Not that I'm planning on it, but have in the past, meet someone from the board? I mean it's not unheard of on this board. And you're not who and what you say you are?

Seems like that would be an awkward moment.

10. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I think it's a shame. I was taught from before I can remember that a man is only as good as his word.

I fall into that trap a lot on message boards especially. Not this one so unless it's someone who disagrees with me politically and is looking for a label, but I serious have no reason to, and as previously stated too lazy to lie. Not that I'm planning on it, but have in the past, meet someone from the board? I mean it's not unheard of on this board. And you're not who and what you say you are?

Seems like that would be an awkward moment.
    I met someone on this board .... somehow I gave the impression I would be driving a pickup truck, wearing cowboy boots and wearing a gun. She got the gun part right!

I don't like lies ... agree with Gunny ... to hard to remember them.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

12. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I met someone on this board .... somehow I gave the impression I would be driving a pickup truck, wearing cowboy boots and wearing a gun. She got the gun part right!

I don't like lies ... agree with Gunny ... to hard to remember them.
    That's too funny.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That's too funny.
    😇 Same here. I guess I give off a vibe as being as big as my mouth! LOL! Then again, I'm usually quieter than most would think.

It's just easier to be truthfu and honest.

It helps with sleep.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That's too funny.
    You laughing at me? LOL! BTW, My felz and mouth just come out with these things, she does carry-just a small, but I'm sure, effective piece.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Lots of honesty in this thread.

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    You laughing at me? LOL! BTW, My felz and mouth just come out with these things, she does carry-just a small, but I'm sure, effective piece.
    I was laughing at what Sassy said about the pickup, boots and cowboy hat. Minus the hat, that's how I went work every day as an electrician. Ball caps are a lot more efficient.

20. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Lots of honesty in this thread.
    That's kinda the point. When I was a kid, and I raised my kid the same way, if you got busted for screwing up you got punished. If you lied when you got busted, you got a separate and usually worse punishment for the lie.

At some point before I really remember I came to the conclusion that it was better to just take the punishment for screwing up so I could get back to screwing up than get busted telling a lie that in afterthought sounded stupider than the truth anyway.

And every single person I have known or know that lies, I bust (whether or not I confront them is a separate issue -- usually not. Just make a mental note and move on) because they can't remember their lies and keep their stories straight.

Think about it. You'd have to take notes on everything YOU say. F- THAT. Too much work when I really don't have anything to hide anyway. I work out, clean house, cook, babysit, run to the store, and play on a message board.

I'm getting better about it but a lot of that is due to circumstance rather than being reclusive. I couldn't walk when I got out of the hospital and it took me a year to get to where I can walk in what I consider a normal manner again. My balance was screwed from the stroke so I teetered all over the place. I wasn't going out in public like that. My luck I'd get busted for drunk in public when I was stone cold sober

So there's really not a story to tell or embellish. "Hey! Guess what happened while I was walking around the block for 3 miles today! I was picked up by a UFO! "
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-19-2018 at 09:38 AM.

22. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Gotta be good when you only have 5 shots, so yes I'm effective.

BTW, I'm always prepared to stop at gun range so I'm always carrying my arsenal with me with plenty of extra rounds..... including used and new targets.

Belong to TWAW club and did this class for fun one day. During running drill had to fall and recover from jammed gun and shoot target from prone position. Loved this class.

Sorry about blurred .. original not blurred.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SassyLady; 05-19-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

24. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'm getting better about it but a lot of that is due to circumstance rather than being reclusive. I couldn't walk when I got out of the hospital and it took me a year to get to where I can walk in what I consider a normal manner again. My balance was screwed from the stroke so I teetered all over the place. I wasn't going out in public like that. My luck I'd get busted for drunk in public when I was stone cold sober
    I hope you don't mind, man, but was there a reason you had a stroke? I'm assuming you were in good health...