Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I hope you don't mind, man, but was there a reason you had a stroke? I'm assuming you were in good health...
    Heh .. you'll LOVE this one. I did it to myself. Hell, no one else can kill me, figured I'd give it a shot

I was in ICU on life support in a civilian hospital. Not their fault, but they were out of their league. Me, PTSD and anesthesia do NOT get along. Anesthesia makes you dream some weird shit. I was back in combat. I guess they went a little light on the anesthesia or something but I came out of it enough to think the enemy was shoving something down my throat and I yanked the tube out. My brain was without oxygen for about 2 minutes and I flatlined.

Anesthesia is some evil shit. When they brought me out of it, I was sure they were trying to kill me. I since learned that is not an uncommon thought for some to have coming out of anesthesia. My nurse was this hateful-ass African f*cker and they'd ask me questions and I thought they were trying to interrogate me so I didn't tell them shit until some of that crap cleared out of my head and I sorta got my bearings. Good thing for him because I was trying to figure out how could kill him with all those tubes in my arms if I had to. And nobody would tell me shit, Not from the time they brought me out of it until the day I checked out. Had they explained the situation to me instead of "you've had a bad shock to your system and still have a horrible infection" I may have not been so hostile to them.

Anyway, the 2 minutes without oxygen affected my memory. I literally couldn't remember shit. I thought Ronald Reagan was the President. I've got my long term menory back, Short term is iffy and I have to write most things down. There are threads I posted in today and if they roll off the Top Ten Latest Posts or howver many I won't remember the thread unless I run across it going through the subforums.

My memory recognition is what got hit the worst. Unless I knew you before the stroke, or see you every day, this is how I recognize my neighbors. Their cars and their houses. And that means I recognize their cars and their houses. If they were to come up to me in my driveway or the convenience store, I won't know who they are. It's hard to explain. I see them clearly vision-wise, but I don't "see" them. The face doesn't stick and I'll forget it in a minute. I've seen pics of people on this board over the years and probably the only people i would recognize if the walked up to me is Jim and Kathianne and that's because I i know their voices and accents. I've never seen Kathianne and only vaguely remember what Jim looks like.

That part hasn't really improved. The nerve damage in my feet, lower left leg and left forearm is permanent. My balance was f*cked for over a year but I've put som much effort into getting it back it's improved a lot. I went from 205 to 155. The significance of that is I was 205 lbs of mostly muscle. when I ran into crap it either moved, broke or I bounced off. At 155 (my HS weight) everything I ran into hit bone and it hurt. THAT took some getting used to. I've since gained about 30 lbs or so back but i still can't just go slamming into crap like I used to.

So, after all that, pulling the incabation tube out and the oxygen deprivation gave me the stroke.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Heh .. you'll LOVE this one. I did it to myself. Hell, no one else can kill me, figured I'd give it a shot

I was in ICU on life support in a civilian hospital. Not their fault, but they were out of their league. Me, PTSD and anesthesia do NOT get along. Anesthesia makes you dream some weird shit. I was back in combat. I guess they went a little light on the anesthesia or something but I came out of it enough to think the enemy was shoving something down my throat and I yanked the tube out. My brain was without oxygen for about 2 minutes and I flatlined.

Anesthesia is some evil shit. When they brought me out of it, I was sure they were trying to kill me. I since learned that is not an uncommon thought for some to have coming out of anesthesia. My nurse was this hateful-ass African f*cker and they'd ask me questions and I thought they were trying to interrogate me so I didn't tell them shit until some of that crap cleared out of my head and I sorta got my bearings. Good thing for him because I was trying to figure out how could kill him with all those tubes in my arms if I had to. And nobody would tell me shit, Not from the time they brought me out of it until the day I checked out. Had they explained the situation to me instead of "you've had a bad shock to your system and still have a horrible infection" I may have not been so hostile to them.

Anyway, the 2 minutes without oxygen affected my memory. I literally couldn't remember shit. I thought Ronald Reagan was the President. I've got my long term menory back, Short term is iffy and I have to write most things down. There are threads I posted in today and if they roll off the Top Ten Latest Posts or howver many I won't remember the thread unless I run across it going through the subforums.

My memory recognition is what got hit the worst. Unless I knew you before the stroke, or see you every day, this is how I recognize my neighbors. Their cars and their houses. And that means I recognize their cars and their houses. If they were to come up to me in my driveway or the convenience store, I won't know who they are. It's hard to explain. I see them clearly vision-wise, but I don't "see" them. The face doesn't stick and I'll forget it in a minute. I've seen pics of people on this board over the years and probably the only people i would recognize if the walked up to me is Jim and Kathianne and that's because I i know their voices and accents. I've never seen Kathianne and only vaguely remember what Jim looks like.

That part hasn't really improved. The nerve damage in my feet, lower left leg and left forearm is permanent. My balance was f*cked for over a year but I've put som much effort into getting it back it's improved a lot. I went from 205 to 155. The significance of that is I was 205 lbs of mostly muscle. when I ran into crap it either moved, broke or I bounced off. At 155 (my HS weight) everything I ran into hit bone and it hurt. THAT took some getting used to. I've since gained about 30 lbs or so back but i still can't just go slamming into crap like I used to.

So, after all that, pulling the incabation tube out and the oxygen deprivation gave me the stroke.
    FUCK... ya know, my Dad when he had a quadruple heart bypass, when he came out of anesthesia, he had a really bad reaction too. He did almost exactly the same thing you did. He was pulling tubes and needles out of him and thought they were trying to kill him too. They had a heck of a time with him. My paw wasn't exactly a little guy. He was a Master Pressman and back in the day he rolled around 2.5 ton rolls of paper on carts. Course he was at Pearl Harbor shortly after it happened. He wasn't in the attack but helped clean up that mess.

If it makes ya feel better, bro, I have to write shit down to remember it too... One the best uses for my "smart phone" is the "NOTE PAD"...

I have neuropathy too, and muscle atrophy, especially my right triceps. If I lay my right forearm on my head I can't lift it off. There's other small nerve atrophies but that's the big one. That's from the nerves getting crushed in my neck. They said I'd get 90% of that back before they did the discectomy on me but... aaah... no... never came back.

Glad you're doing better man... I weighed myself this morning and I was 212, down from winter weight of 219. Not a good thing... all that weight seems to conglomerate on me right around the middle. I've been outside every day I can though, as usual, soon as the warm weather hits, working around the property here getting that major sweat going on. Need to lose another 10 at least. I like to be around 200.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

FUCK... ya know, my Dad when he had a quadruple heart bypass, when he came out of anesthesia, he had a really bad reaction too. He did almost exactly the same thing you did. He was pulling tubes and needles out of him and thought they were trying to kill him too. They had a heck of a time with him. My paw wasn't exactly a little guy. He was a Master Pressman and back in the day he rolled around 2.5 ton rolls of paper on carts. Course he was at Pearl Harbor shortly after it happened. He wasn't in the attack but helped clean up that mess.

If it makes ya feel better, bro, I have to write shit down to remember it too... One the best uses for my "smart phone" is the "NOTE PAD"...

I have neuropathy too, and muscle atrophy, especially my right triceps. If I lay my right forearm on my head I can't lift it off. There's other small nerve atrophies but that's the big one. That's from the nerves getting crushed in my neck. They said I'd get 90% of that back before they did the discectomy on me but... aaah... no... never came back.

Glad you're doing better man... I weighed myself this morning and I was 212, down from winter weight of 219. Not a good thing... all that weight seems to conglomerate on me right around the middle. I've been outside every day I can though, as usual, soon as the warm weather hits, working around the property here getting that major sweat going on. Need to lose another 10 at least. I like to be around 200.
    I weight about 185 now. I put about 30 lbs back on and so far resisted piling more weights on the bar and getting even bigger. I just don't want to carry the weight around anymore.

I sort of even goofed that up. I was so intent on filling my skin back out in my arms and upper body because I was literally a bag of bones that I neglected working on my balance and leg strength. I've since rearranged that because my balance wasn't getting better and I was doing a lot of teetering if I turned to fast or got off balance in any way.

That hospital stay was a trip. I guess in a way I did make it worse but I go back to them not just sitting down and laying everything out for me so I knew EXACTlY what had happened and what I was facing. I don't know wher ethat mentality comes from unless it's the "don't up set the patient" BS. If that's the case, it backfired on them. "The patient" was upset because he did not have a clear understanding of what had happened and what was going on and wanted to get moving.

And I wasn't at home. I was out of state. Had it happened here with my daughter and mother around and I'd been on base, it might have gone a bit differently. Hard to say now. I basically rehab'd myself here at my daughter's house.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I weight about 185 now. I put about 30 lbs back on and so far resisted piling more weights on the bar and getting even bigger. I just don't want to carry the weight around anymore.

I sort of even goofed that up. I was so intent on filling my skin back out in my arms and upper body because I was literally a bag of bones that I neglected working on my balance and leg strength. I've since rearranged that because my balance wasn't getting better and I was doing a lot of teetering if I turned to fast or got off balance in any way.

That hospital stay was a trip. I guess in a way I did make it worse but I go back to them not just sitting down and laying everything out for me so I knew EXACTlY what had happened and what I was facing. I don't know wher ethat mentality comes from unless it's the "don't up set the patient" BS. If that's the case, it backfired on them. "The patient" was upset because he did not have a clear understanding of what had happened and what was going on and wanted to get moving.

And I wasn't at home. I was out of state. Had it happened here with my daughter and mother around and I'd been on base, it might have gone a bit differently. Hard to say now. I basically rehab'd myself here at my daughter's house.
    I'm going to buy that little universal gym this Fall. I am NOT going to just do another winter here sitting around doing nothing getting fat. I HATE the inactivity. I always think to myself that when I die, it's going to be in the winter because I get so out of shape, and this last winter was the worst. Wonder why... couldn't be that I'm getting OLDER...

Nice little gym... going to go in the house too, not out here in the shop. I want it right under my nose so I use it. I keep it in my wish list on Amazon... damn thing keeps going UP IN PRICE though... wtf...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZPB2E...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I'm going to buy that little universal gym this Fall. I am NOT going to just do another winter here sitting around doing nothing getting fat. I HATE the inactivity. I always think to myself that when I die, it's going to be in the winter because I get so out of shape, and this last winter was the worst. Wonder why... couldn't be that I'm getting OLDER...

Nice little gym... going to go in the house too, not out here in the shop. I want it right under my nose so I use it. I keep it in my wish list on Amazon... damn thing keeps going UP IN PRICE though... wtf...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZPB2E...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Move South. We don't do winter. Been in the 90s all week. I have to get my ass up and get moving early to beat the heat. I used to work out in it in the middle of July, and probably will if I have to, but I'm going to try and be done by 9-10 and get my butt inside where the AC lives.

I run/ run/walk on the street, and lift steel plates in the garage. Only thing I do inside is pullups because the pullup bar is in my closet doorway. I was pondering getting an Olympic weight set, but that means a new bench as well. It would actually just be easier to use than what I have now which is one of the smaller weight sets. I have the same amount of weight as an Olympic set, just in 25 and 10 lb plates. But I know me and what'll happen if I get more weights. I'll have to lift them all

7. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Move South. We don't do winter. Been in the 90s all week. I have to get my ass up and get moving early to beat the heat. I used to work out in it in the middle of July, and probably will if I have to, but I'm going to try and be done by 9-10 and get my butt inside where the AC lives.

I run/ run/walk on the street, and lift steel plates in the garage. Only thing I do inside is pullups because the pullup bar is in my closet doorway. I was pondering getting an Olympic weight set, but that means a new bench as well. It would actually just be easier to use than what I have now which is one of the smaller weight sets. I have the same amount of weight as an Olympic set, just in 25 and 10 lb plates. But I know me and what'll happen if I get more weights. I'll have to lift them all
    Yeah I've done the "move south" already, bro. Florida, Arizona... Reno, NV had the best climate of anywhere I've ever lived. But moving, ain't gonna happen. Starting over somewhere new at this point in my life just isn't doable. I have my family and friends here, have a great little chunk of land and house and shop, and moving somewhere with NO family or friends, alone... can't do it. Didn't care when I was younger, and/or in the military. It was a grand adventure, but my adventure days are over. I'll just make the best of it where I'm at.

I don't care if I have to move my dining room table out, I'm going to have that gym this Fall, and I'm going to use it. Before my nerves got crushed I lifted a lot. I loved the base gyms. I was getting size too, but mostly just ripped. Had the "six pack." I was in good shape. Aaaah being young... *sigh*... can't go back, but I can try to NOT be a lard ass marsh mellow...

I know you know what I mean. Working out kinda gets in your blood. The prior owner of this property put RAIL ROAD TIES ALL THE FUCK OVER as landscaping, and he used a TRACTOR with a BUCKET to do it. Problem is now they're all sagging and rotting, but I'm taking them out BY HAND. It's hard work, but I just look at it as working out.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-19-2018 at 11:46 PM.

9. Thanks Gunny, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I can't wait to get back south. Can't.... Wait.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    I can't wait to get back south. Can't.... Wait.
    I would if I was 30 again.