Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

My biggest "thing" when I started this thread is the amount of gimmicks. I watched Paul Anderson in the 50-something Olympics and these guys today couldn't compete. The 50s guys walk up, yank the weight off the ground to their shoulders with more power than technique, and they press it overhead. The squat-clean and press is technique. Yes, you have to be strong but not like the former group.

The former group also had weights that looked like they just bought them at Dick's Sporting Goods. Just steel.

Nowadays, those plates are some ceramic composite and the inner rings are milled. The bar inside rolls on a milled cam. This increases the speed of the spin of the weight. I am sure there is a momentum advantage to the spinning but being the garage kinda guy I am mine just go clang

The amount of weight they lift is unreal. Watching them, you know they're strong, but it's more like a technical proficiency than it is ripping the bar off the floor and slinging the weight up.

They also get to drop the bar at the top. Once the lift up is complete, they let go and step back. That's HALF the lift in MY book. I have to bring the damned thing back to the rack/floor. I couldn't afford the bars and weights and whatever they landed on if I did that crap.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes Hot Dogger, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    My biggest "thing" when I started this thread is the amount of gimmicks. I watched Paul Anderson in the 50-something Olympics and these guys today couldn't compete. The 50s guys walk up, yank the weight off the ground to their shoulders with more power than technique, and they press it overhead. The squat-clean and press is technique. Yes, you have to be strong but not like the former group.

The former group also had weights that looked like they just bought them at Dick's Sporting Goods. Just steel.

Nowadays, those plates are some ceramic composite and the inner rings are milled. The bar inside rolls on a milled cam. This increases the speed of the spin of the weight. I am sure there is a momentum advantage to the spinning but being the garage kinda guy I am mine just go clang

The amount of weight they lift is unreal. Watching them, you know they're strong, but it's more like a technical proficiency than it is ripping the bar off the floor and slinging the weight up.

They also get to drop the bar at the top. Once the lift up is complete, they let go and step back. That's HALF the lift in MY book. I have to bring the damned thing back to the rack/floor. I couldn't afford the bars and weights and whatever they landed on if I did that crap.
    That's the truth, Gunny... these guys train to do ONE THING... CLEAN AND JERK. Well, that's not body building in my opinion. It's a competition to see who can dead lift the most weight.

If that's what you want to do, then go for it. I know it's even an olympic competition. But it's not for me. I gotta get the whole work out when I do it, from top to bottom. From the muscles in my neck to the muscles in my calves, they ALL get worked out.

I don't think it's really a good example of how strong a person is either. So they've perfected and built themselves up to be able to clean and jerk a ton of weight... ok... have at it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

PART 1

PART 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    That's the truth, Gunny... these guys train to do ONE THING... CLEAN AND JERK. Well, that's not body building in my opinion. It's a competition to see who can dead lift the most weight.

If that's what you want to do, then go for it. I know it's even an olympic competition. But it's not for me. I gotta get the whole work out when I do it, from top to bottom. From the muscles in my neck to the muscles in my calves, they ALL get worked out.

I don't think it's really a good example of how strong a person is either. So they've perfected and built themselves up to be able to clean and jerk a ton of weight... ok... have at it.
    Couple of misconceptions in your response:

At no point did I say anything bad about Olympic weightlifting. That would make me pretty dumb since that is basically what I do I was just doing the usual, "these young kids today ..." old school die hard way They STILL move some weight.

At no point have you ever seen me refer to myself as anything but a weightlifter (accepted for Olympic weightlifter). Yes, I do a few other things but the ground floor is the squat-clean and press for me. I don't do the squat snatch because it is quite frankly too painful for what it's worth and has a detrimental affect on my other lifts.

The squat-clean and press requires every muscle in your body and they ALL have to be strong enough. If you don't have a solid base from ass to neck and ass to head, you aren't putting any damned thing over your head. It is THE accepted indicator of actual power and strength. Even the NFL uses the power clean as an indicator for speed and strength.

The "competition" in weightlifting is not some other schmoe. Sure, they have contests and crap but you got the enemy all wrong. The bar is your enemy. The bar (and weights on it) is what you are trying to beat. You don't beat anybody until you beat that bar. The lifters are actually supportive of one another's lifts, win, lose or draw. In other words they're good sports.

Same pretty-much with powerlifters except they are more aggressive and always having contests and crap, BUT it is most times good natured crap.

Bodybuilders? Forget it. Narcissists in the extreme. Always trying to mind*screw* each other. Hate their competition and wish them ill (this is at the pro level ). In everyday gyms they're clique-ish. Think their clique owns the place. Rude. Heaven forbid one has name recognition.

On the other hand, most at home "boybuilders" are just doing their own thing. Building their bodies. Their goal is completely different that the other two. They want to look a certain way. It's not about the amount of weight at all. It's what each weight does for appearance.

Straight up, I started the actual Olympic-style lifting with the goal in mind of a person who woke up in the hospital and couldn't walk. I used to be a great "bench presser". Now, I'm building the core from the bottom up. You don't EVER want to not be able to walk. It'll rearrange your viewpoint, that's for sure
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

My personal best - many, many years ago - was 310 bench, freeweight. Think it was 320 on the machine, and I weighed 165 at the time.

Those days are long gone, especially after my heart attack. I've always grabbed heavy things and they moved, but I have to remind myself now that I shouldn't do things like that anymore. It's humbling, but a part of life if we're lucky enough to live that long.

I remember my dad telling the stories of feats of strength back in the depression in Nebraska where my Great-grandfather was a farmer.

The entertainment back then was for everyone to gather and have contests to see who was the strongest man. My Great-grandfather was the only man in the county that could lay under a loaded grain wagon and lift the rear axle off the ground with his legs - the ultimate leg press. I'd love to know how much weight that actually was. I remember as a youngster, he'd be on the couch and he'd roughhouse with me and put my head in a scissors and even as an 80 year old, his legs were iron.

They were very tough men back in those days.
    Last edited by NightTrain; 12-16-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Couple of misconceptions in your response:

At no point did I say anything bad about Olympic weightlifting. That would make me pretty dumb since that is basically what I do I was just doing the usual, "these young kids today ..." old school die hard way They STILL move some weight.

At no point have you ever seen me refer to myself as anything but a weightlifter (accepted for Olympic weightlifter). Yes, I do a few other things but the ground floor is the squat-clean and press for me. I don't do the squat snatch because it is quite frankly too painful for what it's worth and has a detrimental affect on my other lifts.

The squat-clean and press requires every muscle in your body and they ALL have to be strong enough. If you don't have a solid base from ass to neck and ass to head, you aren't putting any damned thing over your head. It is THE accepted indicator of actual power and strength. Even the NFL uses the power clean as an indicator for speed and strength.

The "competition" in weightlifting is not some other schmoe. Sure, they have contests and crap but you got the enemy all wrong. The bar is your enemy. The bar (and weights on it) is what you are trying to beat. You don't beat anybody until you beat that bar. The lifters are actually supportive of one another's lifts, win, lose or draw. In other words they're good sports.

Same pretty-much with powerlifters except they are more aggressive and always having contests and crap, BUT it is most times good natured crap.

Bodybuilders? Forget it. Narcissists in the extreme. Always trying to mind*screw* each other. Hate their competition and wish them ill (this is at the pro level ). In everyday gyms they're clique-ish. Think their clique owns the place. Rude. Heaven forbid one has name recognition.

On the other hand, most at home "boybuilders" are just doing their own thing. Building their bodies. Their goal is completely different that the other two. They want to look a certain way. It's not about the amount of weight at all. It's what each weight does for appearance.

Straight up, I started the actual Olympic-style lifting with the goal in mind of a person who woke up in the hospital and couldn't walk. I used to be a great "bench presser". Now, I'm building the core from the bottom up. You don't EVER want to not be able to walk. It'll rearrange your viewpoint, that's for sure
    Yeah I wasn't trying to put anyone down, bro. I think all forms of exercise are beneficial for sure.

I never belonged to a civilian gym, so I wouldn't know about their cliques, although I believe every word you said about it. The only big gyms I ever hit were the base gyms. I never noticed any cliques in them. Don't know if the gyms on Marine Corp bases were the same or not. Whatever they were, I'll take your word for it.

And myself, I'm not really body building either, although I am finally starting to put on some size. I can cable bench press more weight now than I could ten years ago when I had my old Golds universal gym. I've been at it steady for over a year now though too, I haven't quit. I LOVE my new gym, it's a real dandy. Amazing how many different exercises I can do on it. But for me, working out is about quality of life, but I think it's FUN too, for sure, I LIKE it. But I don't have a kid or any other immediate family around to look in on me when I get OLD, old. I need to be able to get around and fend for myself. My paw, God rest his soul, was still walking bolt upright and getting around with zero problem at 85 when the stinking cancer got him. There's no doubt in my mind that guy could have had another 10 years in him, easy. So I lift for my health pretty much. All the other benefits, looks, size, strength, they're just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Running, swimming, and sex are all the exercise a man needs to live a healthy life.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Running, swimming, and sex are all the exercise a man needs to live a healthy life.

26E1B9F3-10A7-4A65-B0CE-2E95D6F9EDF5.gif
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey