Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default Boater: File a Float Plan!

This is only common sense. Make sure you give a full description of the vessel as well as the other information
    in this press release.

Also, invest in a VHF-FM Marine band radio. Cell Phones are NOT a reliable means of communication.
    The phone has to be within 'sight' of a cell tower to work. There are many places, especially Northern
    California, Oregon, and Alaska that cell towers are far and few between. Plus the tower's visibility can be
    blocked by terrain (mountains).

Satellite phones will work, but they are costly and a person needs to subscribe to the service with a monthly fee.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1f09799
    Last edited by Elessar; 05-21-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    This is only common sense. Make sure you give a full description of the vessel as well as the other information
    in this press release.

Also, invest in a VHF-FM Marine band radio. Cell Phones are NOT a reliable means of communication.
    The phone has to be within 'sight' of a cell tower to work. There are many places, especially Northern
    California, Oregon, and Alaska that cell towers are far and few between. Plus the tower's visibility can be
    blocked by terrain (mountains).

Satellite phones will work, but they are costly and a person needs to subscribe to the service with a monthly fee.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1f09799
    I hear that. I ALWAYS file a float plan when cruising. I always tell folks where I am headed and how long I expect to be gone. I have two radios on board plus a hand held. I have a chart plotter with GPS/radar plus a handheld and paper charts. I have a pre-cruise and post cruise checklist which I actually follow even though I know them by heart.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

One thing I forgot to mention - if you plan on spending a lot of time on the water,
    invest in an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon).

Make sure it is registered fully with NOAA! That way searchers will know what they are looking for.
    The registration is FREE and no processing fees.

Read the owner's manual on proper use.

To properly activate one, make sure it points straight up into the sky and, as much as possible, free
    of overhead obstructions. Do NOT point one sideways! That will give a false position to the satellites
    that detect them.

Testing period is at the top of the hour to 5 minutes past - every hour.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I can't believe someone would get on any body of water without doing as you outlined! Heck, driving from where I am to where I'm moving has me out of cell service for nearly an hour. I hate that, bit know someone will call any accident or breakdown in, while I keep myself safely out of danger. To rely on a cell phone in a water emergency? Nuts!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I can't believe someone would get on any body of water without doing as you outlined! Heck, driving from where I am to where I'm moving has me out of cell service for nearly an hour. I hate that, bit know someone will call any accident or breakdown in, while I keep myself safely out of danger. To rely on a cell phone in a water emergency? Nuts!
    After 25 years in Search and Rescue, you would not believe some of the tales I could
    tell about ill-prepared or simply ignorant boaters.

A Deplorable!

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post