Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Ever wonder?

Why atheists and other Christian-phobics feel such a strong need to (attempt to) disprove the Bible? It has become almost a national pastime. Even to the point of trying to convince us that "Jesus never existed".

I don't believe in Hinduism, but I have zero desire to disprove anything contained in Hindu texts. If I don't think it is a true religion, why would I care? I only care about the Quran because it is used as an excuse to repress, mutilate, and murder.

I could conclude that folks attack the Bible and Christianity because in their heart of hearts, they know, or at least fear, it is all too real.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Likes Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Why atheists and other Christian-phobics feel such a strong need to (attempt to) disprove the Bible? It has become almost a national pastime. Even to the point of trying to convince us that "Jesus never existed".

I don't believe in Hinduism, but I have zero desire to disprove anything contained in Hindu texts. If I don't think it is a true religion, why would I care? I only care about the Quran because it is used as an excuse to repress, mutilate, and murder.

I could conclude that folks attack the Bible and Christianity because in their heart of hearts, they know, or at least fear, it is all too real.
    A lot of factors come into play. A big one, IMO, is Man's arrogance. I look at some of the scientific theories out there and just roll my eyes because each and every scientific theory to explain Man and deny God defies the laws of actual science. Lot of imagination and effort wasted to just not follow the rules.

But Man is arrogant and presumes to be God and that man is the most intelligent and powerful force in the universe. It all stems from caving in to desire and trying to justify it rather than follow God's rules which cramp their self-serving, self-absorbed, hedonistic style.
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-23-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Russ, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Why atheists and other Christian-phobics feel such a strong need to (attempt to) disprove the Bible?
    Yes! This bugs me. I see why Christians want to prove the Bible - they feel they are doing everyone else a big favor by saving them from damnation, after all. I don't see why non-believers would want to disprove the Bible. Do they think they are doing anyone a favor by spreading non-belief? At best, they are helping others relax and not help others, and not feel duty-bound to live up to any Christian expectations. At worst, they are sending others toward damnation. Why is any of that worth it to them?

The only answer I've been able to come up with is that atheists think getting others to agree with them will allow them to relax and feel less guilty (or worried) about their atheistic choice. Not sure if that's it, though.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Yes! This bugs me. I see why Christians want to prove the Bible - they feel they are doing everyone else a big favor by saving them from damnation, after all. I don't see why a non-believers would want to disprove the Bible. Do they think they are doing anyone a favor by spreading non-belief? At best, they are helping other relax and not help others, and not feel duty-bound to live up to any Christian expectations. At worst, they are sending other toward damnation. Why is any of that worth it to them?

The only answer I've been able to come up with is that atheists think getting others to agree with them will allow them to relax and feel less guilty (or worried) about their atheistic choice. Not sure if that's it, though.
    I actually do not feel the need to prove the Bible. My belief in the Bible is faith based on a promise from God. There's nothing for me to prove.

I will argue on a message board about it because that's kinda what we do My arguments are usually based on disproving or showing the fallacy of the arguments presented rather than trying to prove anything about the Bible.

There IS historical fact that supports the Bible. There is historical fact that supports the existence of Jesus Christ. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I always go back to my second sentence, first paragraph, this post.
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

People want to be right. They want to be special. They want inside information. They want to be different. In the 60s people became classic liberals. In the 80s and 90s people became progressives. Lately, people are becoming conservatives.

It goes to religion too - be it Christianity or atheism or global warming or politics. militant, zealous Atheists are the Westboro baptists of their world.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

10. Thanks Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Democrats rail against the Bible because much of it stands against their perverted agenda.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.

12. Thanks LongTermGuy, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Democrats rail against the Bible because much of it stands against their perverted agenda.
    Liberals back in the day, wanted to tear down barriers that restricted their freedoms based on others' religious beliefs. They also wanted needless, archaic and nonsensical laws. But it was based on common sense and we were still all very much Christians, had common sense and basically followed the rules. Liberals back in my day were more conservative than conservatives are NOW.

Today's progressives want to tear down rules for no more reason than they are told no. They don't care why they are told no -- like of you pull the pin on that grenade and release the charging handle you're going to regret it for the split second you can-- They're going to show YOU. I wish they would . The hate conservatives and are against anything we are for just because. They don't know why. To be fair, I've seen a lot of that from the right lately as well.

God is "no". They don't like that. So they try and wordsmith and warped-reason God out of the picture. "You can't prove He exists so he doesn't". Well, if you're right and I'm wrong I'll never know it after I die. If I'm right and you're wrong? You got an eternity to ponder the error in your judgement

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Liberals back in the day, wanted to tear down barriers that restricted their freedoms based on others' religious beliefs. They also wanted needless, archaic and nonsensical laws. But it was based on common sense and we were still all very much Christians, had common sense and basically followed the rules. Liberals back in my day were more conservative than conservatives are NOW.

Today's progressives want to tear down rules for no more reason than they are told no. They don't care why they are told no -- like of you pull the pin on that grenade and release the charging handle you're going to regret it for the split second you can-- They're going to show YOU. I wish they would . The hate conservatives and are against anything we are for just because. They don't know why. To be fair, I've seen a lot of that from the right lately as well.

God is "no". They don't like that. So they try and wordsmith and warped-reason God out of the picture. "You can't prove He exists so he doesn't". Well, if you're right and I'm wrong I'll never know it after I die. If I'm right and you're wrong? You got an eternity to ponder the error in your judgement
    You went into more detail but... ya... like I said...

Read this old saying a long time ago and it stuck with me... odd I can remember it...

"I'd rather live my life as though there is a God and die and find out there isn't, than live my life as though there isn't a God and die and find out there IS."

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    You went into more detail but... ya... like I said...

Read this old saying a long time ago and it stuck with me... odd I can remember it...

"I'd rather live my life as though there is a God and die and find out there isn't, than live my life as though there isn't a God and die and find out there IS."
    Here I've been saying that (the way I said it) for years and thought I was the genius that thought it up. Oh well. Nothing new under the sun. Common sense is common sense.

17. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Here I've been saying that (the way I said it) for years and thought I was the genius that thought it up. Oh well. Nothing new under the sun. Common sense is common sense.
    I think an ounce of common sense is worth a hellova lot more than a pound of intelligence.

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default I really enjoy this kind of conversation. Always come away without an Answer...

Based on nothing more than a little common sense, and logic. If Athiests were smarter. They'd just shut up, and let well enough alone, IMO.

Since they DENY there is a Deity, or God that we believers worship. If their feelings are true about there NOT being a GOD. Why then, must they insist, and demand they are Offended, Insulted, or Hurt when they see, or hear the word GOD?

If there is NO SUCH THING....using their logic. WHY must they demand a GOD doesn't exist? And, why do they care whether something THEY SAY doesn't exist...would bother them at all????

Unlike our FAITH. Which is the belief in the Unseen. They really only need to tell themselves...THEY HAVE NO FAITH. But then...it comes full circle again. NO FAITH IN WHAT????
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Based on nothing more than a little common sense, and logic. If Athiests were smarter. They'd just shut up, and let well enough alone, IMO.

Since they DENY there is a Deity, or God that we believers worship. If their feelings are true about there NOT being a GOD. Why then, must they insist, and demand they are Offended, Insulted, or Hurt when they see, or hear the word GOD?

If there is NO SUCH THING....using their logic. WHY must they demand a GOD doesn't exist? And, why do they care whether something THEY SAY doesn't exist...would bother them at all????

Unlike our FAITH. Which is the belief in the Unseen. They really only need to tell themselves...THEY HAVE NO FAITH. But then...it comes full circle again. NO FAITH IN WHAT????
    If you can figure what's going on in a liberal's head... let me know...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

Exactly.