Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Hell there wasn't much you COULDN'T buy right in the barracks at Nellis... pot... acid... coke. They liked the blotter acid in Vegas, and coke.

Weekends in the barracks at Nellis looked a lot like ANIMAL HOUSE. MacDill was a whole different story. The barracks looked like a ghost town on the weekends. Could have been because it was a training base. They actually encouraged people to party on base at Nellis though. It was easy to get in trouble in Vegas.
    The BEQ in 29 Palms CA, the middle of the Hi Desert and no housing in sight ... people with cars got the hell out on the weekends -- was Party Central. We just had weed and booze though. Jarheads THEN weren't really into anything else and you had to drive forever to get anything. Palm Springs was 50 miles. LA 180. When I say desert, I mean desert.

And most everybody drank or smoked weed then. Different times. We lost a lot of people when they came out with the piss test because at first it was discretionary on the part of the CO what he wanted to do and it wasn't instant death like now. Many said nope, put me out. I'm not quitting smoking pot.

Might have been different for me but the desert did a number on my sinuses. One hit of smoke would give a psycho headache from Hell. I'm sure God was behind that Anyway, I HAD to quit several months before they unveiled their wonderful piss test so I was clean. Good thing they didn't test for alcohol by volume
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-24-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The BEQ in 29 Palms CA, the middle of the Hi Desert and no housing in sight ... people with cars got the hell out on the weekends -- was Party Central. We just had weed and booze though. Jarheads THEN weren't really into anything else and you had to drive forever to get anything. Palm Springs was 50 miles. LA 180. When I say desert, I mean desert.

And most everybody drank or smoked weed then. Different times. We lost a lot of people when they came out with the piss test because at first it was discretionary on the part of the CO what he wanted to do and it wasn't instant death like now. Many said nope, put me out. I'm not quitting smoking pot.

Might have been different for me but the desert did a number on my sinuses. One hit of smoke would give a psycho headache from Hell. I'm sure God was behind that Anyway, I HAD to quit severl months before the unveiled their wonderful piss test so I was clean. Good thing they didn't test for alcohol by volume
    Best party base I was ever at though was Chanute AFB in Rantoul, ILL, my tech school base. There was 3 or 4 different bars on base depending on what you wanted to do, have a nice sit down dinner, or play pool and fooz ball, or dance, there was a bar for each thing. We had one we called The PIT and the PING, even had a huge LIT DANCE FLOOR. Good times... The Timbers was a real nice place, sit down dining, great live music on the weekends, they wanted people to stay on base. I stayed in the old WWII barracks when I got to Chanute and we never had inspections. They didn't give a crap because they had wooden floors and the like, nothing to BUFF, and we got away with all kinds of shit there. Then I got moved to the newer barracks, it sucked, inspections, inspections and more inspections.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Best party base I was ever at though was Chanute AFB in Rantoul, ILL, my tech school base. There was 3 or 4 different bars on base depending on what you wanted to do, have a nice sit down dinner, or play pool and fooz ball, or dance, there was a bar for each thing. We had one we called The PIT and the PING, even had a huge LIT DANCE FLOOR. Good times... The Timbers was a real nice place, sit down dining, great live music on the weekends, they wanted people to stay on base. I stayed in the old WWII barracks when I got to Chanute and we never had inspections. They didn't give a crap because they had wooden floors and the like, nothing to BUFF, and we got away with all kinds of shit there. Then I got moved to the newer barracks, it sucked, inspections, inspections and more inspections.
    No wonder my father liked it there. 3-4 bars was right up his alley at the time.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    No wonder my father liked it there. 3-4 bars was right up his alley at the time.
    I took my tech school in that massive old building, White Hall... it's gone now... they tore it down. Was the biggest building the AF had back in the day. The majority of the base is neglected and overgrown with brush and trees now, looks like Chernobyl... sad... and makes me feel old...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-25-2018 at 08:40 AM.

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post