Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Mike Rowe on "What's wrong in America?"

I really like this guy; I think i'd vote him into office - because he's reasoned, well-spoken, and knows what hard work is.

"What happens when we elevate feelings to a level of primacy - I think it creates a real disconnect people are struggling to parse. I'm saying everyone wants to go home safe - safety always would be a wise platitude. Safety first is the stuff of idiocy. It allows us to being to believe that somebody other than us might care more about our well-being than we do, and the minute we buy into that nonsense we embrace the warm grip of complacency. Safety - as the priority - let's just wrap ourselves in bubble pack and drive at speeds approaching five miles per hour and never assume anything that could ever be confused as risk."
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Likes Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Follow on FB.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks darin, SassyLady thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Follow on FB.
    i'm there.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

6. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    i'm there.
    Me too.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Likes darin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

He definitely makes some good points. I could care less about Starbucks or who they let in. I don't get the significance of them "suddenly allowing non-paying customers to use the restroom". Was there some controversy about it before that makes it significant? I mean people go in fast food joints and gas stations solely to use the restroom all the time here.

Suing your parents for the right to stay in their basement is just out there. Dude must have ZERO pride.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Dem/lib education system geared to take the manhood out of male children. Been going on since the 60's. Here in the South it was rigorously resisted but eventually (Decades later it infected our public schools here the same way))..
    Some of us " bust our asses" teaching our sons(daughters too) to shoot, fight, build muscles, work hard, take pride in their work, who they are and their family name.
    We that do that are vilified by the usual pieces of shit and the media, the federal gov, and other vermin that hate this nation as it was founded..
    I have my usual stand/reply to those people.-- ffkk you all...
    I stand ready to fight to defend me and mine, and that goes 24/7 , 365 days a year until I die...
    I pray that I never have to , for my children;s sake but ALWAYS SIT ON READY AND READY WITHOUT A MOMENT'S HESITATION.
    If you are one of those vermin reading this-- THEN FFKK YOU!!!!
    I always mean what I say- it is the mark of a real man..--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

12. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Dem/lib education system geared to take the manhood out of male children. Been going on since the 60's. Here in the South it was rigorously resisted but eventually (Decades later it infected our public schools here the same way))..
    Some of us " bust our asses" teaching our sons(daughters too) to shoot, fight, build muscles, work hard, take pride in their work, who they are and their family name.
    We that do that are vilified by the usual pieces of shit and the media, the federal gov, and other vermin that hate this nation as it was founded..
    I have my usual stand/reply to those people.-- ffkk you all...
    I stand ready to fight to defend me and mine, and that goes 24/7 , 365 days a year until I die...
    I pray that I never have to , for my children;s sake but ALWAYS SIT ON READY AND READY WITHOUT A MOMENT'S HESITATION.
    If you are one of those vermin reading this-- THEN FFKK YOU!!!!
    I always mean what I say- it is the mark of a real man..--Tyr
    I don't know, tyr. I could give you a thousand or more for instances of just going through my head since I retired from the Marines. I went into instant culture shock and STILL haven't come out of it. No pride in appearance, their work, no work ethic. Being late is the norm. Run crying to the doctor if they stub their toe. Hell, if I wasn't working hurt I got worried because that was just all wrong

I worked for one electrical company twice for about 8 years total and in between I worked for one for 7 years. That in and of itself is unheard of in the non-union electrical trade. All 3 times I left it was because I'd had it with the idiots running the jobs. Working 10 hour days 6 days a week when if the idiots on the job were actually working and we weren't doing things twice going behind shitty work we could easily have accomplished the jobs in 8 hour days and 5 day weeks. EVERY job I did that I ran was finished early, very little material was left over, and no one every had to go back and fix anything that was jacked up from my work.

I just don't get it and it isn't looking good that I ever will.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't know, tyr. I could give you a thousand or more for instances of just going through my head since I retired from the Marines. I went into instant culture shock and STILL haven't come out of it. No pride in appearance, their work, no work ethic. Being late is the norm. Run crying to the doctor if they stub their toe. Hell, if I wasn't working hurt I got worried because that was just all wrong

I worked for one electrical company twice for about 8 years total and in between I worked for one for 7 years. That in and of itself is unheard of in the non-union electrical trade. All 3 times I left it was because I'd had it with the idiots running the jobs. Working 10 hour days 6 days a week when if the idiots on the job were actually working and we weren't doing things twice going behind shitty work we could easily have accomplished the jobs in 8 hour days and 5 day weeks. EVERY job I did that I ran was finished early, very little material was left over, and no one every had to go back and fix anything that was jacked up from my work.

I just don't get it and it isn't looking good that I ever will.
    You mean you can run EMT and then pull THHN and not have pieces and left over shit laying all over the floor?

Yeah I worked for many years for a good friend that has his own little electrician business. I'd help him on his bigger jobs, and I liked it. Was fun just not too long ago though when he got the car hoist in his shop, we all helped with the mechanical work getting it erected and then later he wired it all up. Well I went over to check it out and he'd finished up the wiring so we powered it up, flipped the switch and NOTHING HAPPENED. Well, from the little wiring diagram on the back of the hoist control panel, he couldn't figure it out. He showed me what he had done and even had plans to entirely rewire the thing to get it to work. Well, I immediately recognized the symbol inside the control panel in the wiring diagram as a Wheatstone Bridge, so I said just hold on, let me take a crack at wiring this for you before you rip it all apart and start installing relays and switches. Took me about 5 minutes and I said give that a try. Reapplied power, hit the switch, and the hoist went up... and there's the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer...

He said... WHAT DID YOU DO? ... HA HA HA... I told him to go on the computer and google "wheatstone bridge."
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-25-2018 at 09:49 AM.

16. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    You mean you can run EMT and then pull THHN and not have pieces and left over shit laying all over the floor?

Yeah I worked for many years for a good friend that has his own little electrician business. I'd help him on his bigger jobs, and I liked it. Was fun just not too long ago though when he got the car hoist in his shop, we all helped with the mechanical work getting it erected and then later he wired it all up. Well I went over to check it out and he'd finished up the wiring so we powered it up, flipped the switch and NOTHING HAPPENED. Well, from the little wiring diagram on the back of the hoist control panel, he couldn't figure it out. He showed me what he had done and even had plans to entirely rewire the thing to get it to work. Well, I immediately recognized the symbol inside the control panel in the wiring diagram as a Wheatstone Bridge, so I said just hold on, let me take a crack at wiring this for you before you rip it all apart and start installing relays and switches. Took me about 5 minutes and I said give that a try. Reapplied power, hit the switch, and the hoist went up... and there's the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer...

He said... WHAT DID YOU DO? ... HA HA HA... I told him to go on the computer and google "wheatstone bridge."
    No offense, but electrical engineers are quacks. They need to add 2 years OJT in the field as an electrician BEFORE getting their diploma. Nothing worse than a wiz kid telling you to do something that is just stupid when you know what is going to work that fucker's got his incoming info button turned off.

However, your average electrician doesn't understand controls and motors beyond what it takes to pass the test. I always struggled with it because we did not do them regularly and as in everything else in the electrical trade, no two anything is alike.

And yes, I'm a good estimator. They invented this little gadget called the measuring tape some estimators don't bother to use. Besides being a perfectionist I was making a point because at the time, the journeyman was working for ME, and I was the apprentice. Didn't bother to point out my grandfather was an electrician for 40 years and I could wire shit by the time I was 6 I had that helper thing down pat too. Hell I thought I was being all cool helping my grandfather and hopefully impressing him. I learned later on he taking some serious advantage of some free labor from a cock-strong kid It was cool though. My grandfather was my hero. First time he ever let me wear one of his old tool belts I thought I was THE shit. I strutted around in the SOB ALL afternoon

Bit I could dig a straight ditch before I was 10. You can't get these kids nowadays to dig for shit anyway. They're wondering why you didn't get them a trencher. It's only a 10 ft ditch?

18. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Follow on FB.
    Me too.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

20. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

22. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    No offense, but electrical engineers are quacks. They need to add 2 years OJT in the field as an electrician BEFORE getting their diploma.
    I resent that remark ya sod buster. We're not QUACKS.

Electrical Engineer and Electrician are two different animals, but they have one thing in common... ELECTRICITY.

I don't know what kind of experiences you've had with electrical engineers, but please don't call us QUACKS. It took me two years of technical college to get my degree in Electrical Engineering. It wasn't worth much because all the jobs I looked up for a 2 year grad of electrical engineering didn't pay SQUAT. So what did I do... I went to school for HARLEY TECH... Paid a hellova lot better and I enjoyed it more.

I probably could have made some good money in the electrical engineering field too had I gone for a BA, or a Masters degree, but I'm not a school lover or a book worm. I put everything I had into my Associates for Electrical Engineering though and was on the high honor roll, that's virtual straight A's with a rare B+.

Quack my ass ya brush popper...

Tell me the difference between a diode and NAND gate... tell me the function of a dielectric... OK... you're going to google it...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-27-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Without wifi. I really can't watch vide. I dod follow his series of 'surprising' people that did great things to help othets. Almost always made me cru.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I resent that remark ya sod buster. We're not QUACKS.

Electrical Engineer and Electrician are two different animals, but they have one thing in common... ELECTRICITY.

I don't know what kind of experiences you've had with electrical engineers, but please don't call us QUACKS. It took me two years of technical college to get my degree in Electrical Engineering. It wasn't worth much because all the jobs I looked up for a 2 year grad of electrical engineering didn't pay SQUAT. So what did I do... I went to school for HARLEY TECH... Paid a hellova lot better and I enjoyed it more.

I probably could have made some good money in the electrical engineering field too had I gone for a BA, or a Masters degree, but I'm not a school lover or a book worm. I put everything I had into my Associates for Electrical Engineering though and was on the high honor roll, that's virtual straight A's with a rare B+.

Quack my ass ya brush popper...

Tell me the difference between a diode and NAND gate... tell me the function of a dielectric... OK... you're going to google it...
    I'm not going to Google it. I don't care what those things are. If I NEEDED to know I would probably Google it. That information is absolutely useless knowledge at the practical app level.