Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

put the liberals in one state, and the conservatives in another. Let's see which would flourish.

---

Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

California residents will get a chance to vote on a measure to divide the Golden State into three separate states, election officials said Tuesday.

Proponents of the CAL 3 initiative submitted more than 402,468 valid signatures as of Tuesday, making it eligible for the Nov. 6 general election ballot, according to the California Secretary of State’s office.

The office did not say exactly how many total signatures were submitted, but backers said the petition drew more than 600,000 from residents across the state’s 58 counties, dwarfing the 365,000 signatures required to qualify for the ballot.

Adding the initiative to the ballot would be the first step in a long process that would ultimately require approval from Congress.

The proposal, led by venture capitalist Tim Draper, would split the country’s most populous state into three new states of near-equal population: Northern California, California and Southern California, according to the proposal.

Northern California would include cities between the Bay Area and the Oregon border. Southern California would begin in Fresno and cover most of the southern state. The "new" California would cover Los Angeles County and much of the coast below San Francisco Bay, the proposal said.

California Secretary of State Alex Padilla will certify the initiative as qualified for the November ballot on June 28, his office said Tuesday.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/gma/proposal-s...opstories.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    put the liberals in one state, and the conservatives in another. Let's see which would flourish.

---

Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

California residents will get a chance to vote on a measure to divide the Golden State into three separate states, election officials said Tuesday.

Proponents of the CAL 3 initiative submitted more than 402,468 valid signatures as of Tuesday, making it eligible for the Nov. 6 general election ballot, according to the California Secretary of State’s office.

The office did not say exactly how many total signatures were submitted, but backers said the petition drew more than 600,000 from residents across the state’s 58 counties, dwarfing the 365,000 signatures required to qualify for the ballot.

Adding the initiative to the ballot would be the first step in a long process that would ultimately require approval from Congress.

The proposal, led by venture capitalist Tim Draper, would split the country’s most populous state into three new states of near-equal population: Northern California, California and Southern California, according to the proposal.

Northern California would include cities between the Bay Area and the Oregon border. Southern California would begin in Fresno and cover most of the southern state. The "new" California would cover Los Angeles County and much of the coast below San Francisco Bay, the proposal said.

California Secretary of State Alex Padilla will certify the initiative as qualified for the November ballot on June 28, his office said Tuesday.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/gma/proposal-s...opstories.html
    Would this fall under the no secession ruling in the 1880s or no?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I don't like that proposed split. It still leaves the coastal counties in control. I saw one proposal awhile back that split the coastal part from the rest of the state. That would leave conservatives/Republicans having to deal only with Fresno.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Don't know who would come out further ahead. It wouldn't be a fair competition. Those on the coast have tons and tons of money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

It would take an act of congress to split the state so, I don't think this will be happening any time soon, especially not split up the way it is, as mentioned, leaving the democrat cess pools along the coast still in control. It would have to be an equitable split up that gave the conservatives in the state a chance to break free from the radicals.

6. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

If I was still in CA, I would vote for it.

Too long has Sacramento neglected the Northern part, and the selfish
    denizens in the greater LA area sucked up resources from the East and North.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffer...Pacific_state)
    Last edited by Elessar; 06-13-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Here in Wisconsin I live pretty good. I'd have to say I'm comfortable. But if I was in CA, on my fixed income, I'd be living in a tent pitched on the sidewalk and pushing a shopping cart during the day collecting cans for extra money.

The ugliness of the state's political radical democrat hacks in control have far outweighed any beauty the state might have had.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.

10. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

For every new state 2 new senators. If those states are truly conservative then that's a good thing.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't like that proposed split. It still leaves the coastal counties in control. I saw one proposal awhile back that split the coastal part from the rest of the state. That would leave conservatives/Republicans having to deal only with Fresno.
    Not true.
    Don't forget Bakersfield.
    Last edited by SassyLady; 06-13-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

13. Thanks Elessar thanked this post