Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Gay Americans are arming themselves to stay alive

Is there a group running around the nation stabbing and burning alive gay people? If they are armed, they don't get bashed and killed?

I think it's great though that they want to protect themselves, especially anyone that was assaulted in any way. It's great that they want to use their 2nd amendment rights. I think everything about it is great! Except, I think the reasoning is a tad misguided. To say that homophobia is out of control, and that having a gun is the difference between living and dying - based on 52 deaths per year, is a bit of a strong statement. Still their right though!

---

Gay Americans are arming themselves to stay alive

“I don’t want to get beaten to death, stabbed and burnt alive,” a slight woman with long blond hair and a checked shirt says. “I want a gun to feel equal.”

She is a member of one of the United States’ fastest-growing gun clubs, the jauntily named Pink Pistols.

Two years after the massacre at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub, gay, lesbian and transgender Americans are nervous. According to the Human Rights Center (HRC), a US LGBTI advocacy group, 52 gay people were murdered in the US last year because of their sexuality, and 28 transgender people met the same fate.

In increasing numbers, they are fighting back by taking up arms.

It’s brought them into lock step with pro-gun groups that haven’t, historically, been all that welcoming of gay people.

Australian journalist Patrick Abboud traveled to the US to meet some of the new gun-toting gay people, for a report to be broadcast on Australian news show “The Feed” on Tuesday.

It was a sobering experience, he told News.com.au.

“There is one murder per week of a gay person purely because they’re gay, and that’s really horrifying. The level of homophobia and transphobia in the USA is out of control and some people told me a gun is the difference between living and dying.”

The Pink Pistols have been nicknamed the “gay NRA,” a reference to the controversial National Rifle Association that is a staunch proponent of pro-gun laws.

“I would never have thought I’d see the LGBTI community siding with incredibly conservative, right-wing, pro-gun advocates that have been publicly homophobic and transphobic — that didn’t make any sense,” Abboud explained.

But after meeting some of the gun club’s members, Abboud said, there was a real fear that had only been stoked by the country’s rabid political landscape.

Tuesday marks two years since the massacre at Pulse. Almost 50 people were gunned down by security guard Omar Mateen in a three-hour rampage.

Abboud spoke to Piper Smith, head of the Pink Pistols chapter in San Diego: “She decided to take up arms two days after Orlando because she said it was the 9/11 of [the] gay community. She couldn’t comprehend it and she genuinely didn’t want to go outside because she felt threatened just because of who she was.”

“There is a looming fear that if it can happen in Orlando, it can happen anywhere.”

The Pink Pistols now claim to have 45 regional divisions and 10,000 mostly LGBTI people on its books. They exist for a very simple reason: “We teach queers to shoot,” states the website.

“Gays that are armed and trained, don’t get bashed and killed,” said Jeff Bloovman, a nursing student and gun instructor who has become something of a poster boy for the Pink Pistols.

“Jeff breaks every stereotype,” said Abboud. “He’s super buff, super butch, the straightest gay man I have ever met and he has tons of guns in his home.”

“He spent a couple of hours showing me his guns. I couldn’t believe the number he keeps around him, I saw 35 guns, but he wouldn’t tell me how many he had.”

“Some people might say he’s a gun nut, but I spent several days with him and he’s the sweetest, gentlest, most loving guy you’d know. But he genuinely goes out every day and feels like he’s going to be attacked and his schtick is that if it happens, he’s ready.”

Rest - https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/gay-am...to-stay-alive/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Man, there are so many things that do come to mind here, as with anything related to firearms and personal protection.

Don't get me wrong, personal protection is a very strong and important thing. And I have little against gays
    unless they get in my face for no reason, as with anyone who does.

But there are far more non-gays that get shot, maimed, or killed as compared to the OP's above article.

How many black, white, hispanics, orientals get attacked per year just because of who they are?

Were the gays the aggressor and threatening presence in these cases?

Lots of questions boil up in this.
    Last edited by Elessar; 06-13-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

So are these people going to be leftists or righties. Survive or promote my perverted lifestyle?

Dilemma brewing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

My first question is "Why?"

Second is: Did they join the NRA?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    My first question is "Why?"

Second is: Did they join the NRA?
    Fags for the second amendment.

Or. Here lemme get 21st century a minute

#fagsforthe2nd

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Lol, because he's gay, he's not a gun nut. But a straight guy with 35 guns, is. Got it.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

9. Thanks Gunny, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Fags for the second amendment.

Or. Here lemme get 21st century a minute

#fagsforthe2nd
    Long as he pays and his vote's correct and counted he might as well be useful for something.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke