Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Trump Greets EU Trade Reprisals With Threat Of Steep Auto Tariff

June 22, 2018
    By David Shepardson
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Donald Trump on Friday threatened to escalate a trade war with Europe by imposing a 20 percent tariff on all U.S. imports of European Union-assembled cars.
    Trump posted his threat on Twitter the day European Union reprisals took effect against U.S. tariffs on European steel and aluminum. The EU targeted $3.2 billion in American goods exported to the 28-member bloc.
    “If these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!” Trump wrote.
    A month ago, the administration launched a probe into whether auto imports pose a national security threat.
    The United States currently imposes a 2.5 percent tariff on imported passenger cars from the European Union and a 25 percent tariff on imported pickup trucks. The EU imposes a 10 percent tariff on imported U.S. cars.
    German automakers Volkswagen AG <VOWG_p.DE>, Daimler AG and BMW AG build vehicles at plants in the United States. Industry data shows German automakers build more vehicles in southern U.S. states that voted for Trump than they ship to the United States from Germany.
    The European Autos Stocks Index fell sharply after Trump’s tweet and closed down 0.5 percent. Shares of U.S. automakers Ford Motor Co and General Motors Co fell immediately after Trump’s tweet but rebounded and closed higher.
    The Commerce Department has scheduled two days of public comments in July in its probe of the national security implications of imported automobiles and auto parts. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Thursday the department aims to wrap up the probe by late July or August, but added the probe is in its “early stages.”
    Last month, Evercore ISI said in a research note that a 25 percent import tariff on auto imports “would pretty much destroy the business of importing cars from Europe/China” to America.
    Major automakers and at least two dozen auto suppliers are gearing up to file written comments sharply opposing the tariffs before a June 29 deadline. U.S. auto executives said privately they have spent months looking at the potential impacts to sales of new tariffs, and they view the presidential tweet as a sign significant new tariffs appear likely.
    Trump has launched or threatened an array of trade measures, saying he aims to create U.S. jobs and protect domestic industries.
    He has threatened duties on up to $450 billion of imports from China. Such a move could raise prices for American consumers and businesses and hit global supply chains for industries like carmakers and electronics. Chinese reprisals have hit American farmers already.
    Trump’s trade policies have also escalated conflict with Canada and Mexico as he seeks to renegotiate the $1.1 trillion North American Free Trade Agreement.
    German automakers did not comment on Trump’s tweet.
    The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, representing major U.S. and European automakers, said “tariffs raise vehicle prices … limit consumer choice and invite retaliatory action by our trading partners. Automakers support reducing trade barriers across the board.”
    German auto industry association VDA said Germany exported 657,000 cars to North America, 7 percent less than a year earlier, and 200,000 fewer cars than in 2013.
    German-built vehicles exported to the United States fell 10 percent to 494,000 vehicles, while German automakers produced 804,000 vehicles in the United States last year. Automotive News data shows about 7.2 percent of vehicles sold in the United States through May were assembled in Europe.
    Trump has repeatedly criticized German auto imports. He reportedly told French President Emmanuel Macron he wanted to halt Mercedes-Benz models from driving down Fifth Avenue in New York City. He told automakers at a White House meeting in May he was planning tariffs on some imported vehicles.
    Republican lawmakers and business groups have opposed higher auto tariffs.
    The Auto Alliance has said it was “confident that vehicle imports do not pose a national security risk.”
    The U.S. Chamber of Commerce noted that American auto production has doubled over the past decade, and said tariffs “would deal a staggering blow to the very industry it purports to protect and would threaten to ignite a global trade war.”
    The United States in 2017 accounted for about 15 percent of worldwide Mercedes-Benz and BMW brand sales. It accounts for 5 percent of VW brand sales and 12 percent of Audi sales.
    (Reporting by David Shepardson Addditional reporting by Edward Taylor in Frankfurt; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and David Gregorio)
    http://www.oann.com/trump-threatens-...an-union-cars/

Doesn't really matter which government wins this little pissing contest. The loser is going to be the consumer.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Doesn't really matter which government wins this little pissing contest. The loser is going to be the consumer.
    Play fair or don't play at all. Their economies are a lot more fragile than our's. Let 'em cut their own throats... they'll learn sooner or later. They'll have to pay a lot more for things than we will.

I'm ready and willing to pay a little more just to put the screws to these ass clowns that think screwing America is the ONLY thing that's acceptable... fuck them.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-22-2018 at 06:26 PM.

3. Likes Old ridge Runner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Play fair or don't play at all. Their economies are a lot more fragile than our's. Let 'em cut their own throats... they'll learn sooner or later. They'll have to pay a lot more for things than we will.

I'm ready and willing to pay a little more just to put the screws to these ass clowns that think screwing America is the ONLY thing that's acceptable... fuck them.
    There's a lot of anti-American arrogance from my side of the Pond (and considerable arrogance from the EU as just their normal mindset). For that reason, I enjoy seeing the EU being slapped down a bit.

My understanding is that the EU is getting what it's been begging for, for quite some time. President Trump ... bring it on.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

5. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

volvo is opening a new factory in the US......Make Exports Great Again.......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 06-22-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I don't give a damn who's playing what when they're having a chest puffing contest with my dollar.

Again, there's no playing fair to Trump artificially propping up a failed industry at OUR expense.

Better hope what they learn ISN'T that they can do without us. All it take is some balls and some trade rewiring and we're cut out.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default You are correct Gunny.

For all of the years that nations around the World have been cheating us, and not playing fair with taxes that OUR politicians were afraid to confront them about. Trump is finally CHANGING the Losers from WE THE PEOPLE to ALL OF THOSE who charged higher tariffs on US, and we just took it on the chin to get them to LIKE US. Trump is calling all of them out for being Cheaters. So now. Their Losers will be Their Consumers. If you have to call it a pissing contest...PAYBACKS REALLY ARE A BITCH.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

9. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Old ridge Runner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

All this cheating and not playing fair and still some how we managed to become the biggest economy. Bunch of snowflakes. You guys always need a boogyman. If it's not the muslims it's the mexicans, if not the mexicans, it's the blacks, if not the blacks it's the germans. Blame everyone but yourselves.
    Last edited by pete311; 06-22-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    All this cheating and not playing fair and still some how we managed to become the biggest economy. Bunch of snowflakes. You guys always need a boogyman. If it's not the muslims it's the mexicans, if not the mexicans, it's the blacks, if not the blacks it's the germans. Blame everyone but yourselves.
    And you democrat "SNOWFLAKES," did ya catch that Greasy Pete, SNOWFLAKE, to YOU, because president Trump coined that term for YOU people, "YOU," and quite frankly I'm shocked that you're just either too STUPID or just don't care that people see you as a pathetic little COPY CAT to call conservatives snowflake. I'm also amazed that you, with your unhinged HATE of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING president Trump, that you'd use a term HE COINED. It always amazes me that you democrats will say the most ASININE things and then press on as if no one will notice, but believe me, we notice, like your comment above... what it does is blatantly illustrate how you America hating liberal trash blame NO ONE for ANYTHING other than AMERICA. That is EXACTLY what you just said. In effect, you said MUSLIMS ARE WITHOUT BLAME, MEXICANS ARE WITHOUT BLAME, BLACKS ARE WITHOUT BLAME, GERMANS ARE WITHOUT BLAME... the ONLY people we should be blaming for ANYTHING is AMERICA. Yup, there ya go, that's what you DEMOCRATS think of America. It is OUR FAULT for EVERYTHING and NO ONE ELSE is EVER to BLAME.

THANK YOU for EXPOSING yourself... you America hating liberal/democrap... SNOWFLAKE.

I also noticed you made NO comment on the thread topic. You came into the thread, AGAIN, and just dropped another one of your inane little sophomoric conservative bashing thread hijacking insult comments.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-23-2018 at 08:43 AM.

12. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, Old ridge Runner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I don't give a damn who's playing what when they're having a chest puffing contest with my dollar.

Again, there's no playing fair to Trump artificially propping up a failed industry at OUR expense.

Better hope what they learn ISN'T that they can do without us. All it take is some balls and some trade rewiring and we're cut out.
    Nobody is having a chest puffing contest, but we do have a president looking out for America. They shouldn't be confused.

Looks like that failed industry you keep harping about isn't so failed after all...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...-trump-tariffs

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

don't be silly.....its always been the demmycrats and always will be.........
    ...full immersion.....

16. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

And you democrat "SNOWFLAKES," did ya catch that Greasy Pete, SNOWFLAKE, to YOU, because president Trump coined that term for YOU people, "YOU," and quite frankly I'm shocked that you're just either too STUPID or just don't care that people see you as a pathetic little COPY CAT to call conservatives snowflake. I'm also amazed that you, with your unhinged HATE of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING president Trump, that you'd use a term HE COINED. It always amazes me that you democrats will say the most ASININE things and then press on as if no one will notice, but believe me, we notice, like your comment above... what it does is blatantly illustrate how you America hating liberal trash blame NO ONE for ANYTHING other than AMERICA. That is EXACTLY what you just said. In effect, you said MUSLIMS ARE WITHOUT BLAME, MEXICANS ARE WITHOUT BLAME, BLACKS ARE WITHOUT BLAME, GERMANS ARE WITHOUT BLAME... the ONLY people we should be blaming for ANYTHING is AMERICA. Yup, there ya go, that's what you DEMOCRATS think of America. It is OUT FAULT for EVERYTHING and NO ONE ELSE is EVER to BLAME.

THANK YOU for EXPOSING yourself... you America hating liberal/democrap... SNOWFLAKE.

I also noticed you made NO comment on the thread topic. You just came into the thread, AGAIN, and just dropped another one of your inane little sophomoric conservative bashing insults thread hijacking comments.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

18. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default It's about the best entertainment we could ask for from the Hypocrites on the Left

Don't forget Petey....

Last edited by aboutime; 06-23-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

20. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You're about full of shit. If it ain't Trump, it's the Russians. If it ain't the Russians, it the rightwing racists. If it we want the law enforced, we're racists. If we point out the statistics on minority crime/incarceration rates, it's because we're racists. If some screwball goes haywire, it's the rightwing gun's fault. If the racist police arrest criminals they're racists.

All you do is cry. There's a crime in everything anyone on the right does. You unhinged leftwingnuts do nothing but push hatred and divisiveness. Then, people like YOU try to turn it around and stick on the right.

Hare's a clue: I'm a conservative and I don't agree with this trade war BS and I'm not the only one. I'm STILL not stupid enough to be a hate-filled, hypocritical, lying and don't care who knows it, moral-less scumbag leftwinger Hell-bent on destroying everything this Nation stands for.

STFU and get off your high horse.
    Last edited by Gunny; 06-24-2018 at 12:05 PM.

22. Thanks CSM, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

You're about full of shit. If it ain't Trump, it's the Russians. If it ain't the Russians, it the rightwing racists. If it we want the law enforced, we're racists. If we point out the statistics on minority crime/incarceration rates, it's because we're racists. If some screwball goes haywire, it's the rightwing gun's fault. If the racist police arrest criminals they're racists.

All you do is cry. There's a crime in everything anyone on the right does. You unhinged leftwingnuts do nothing but push hatred and divisiveness. Then, people like YOU try to turn it around and stick on the right.

Hare's a clue: I'm a conservative and I don't agree with this trade war BS and I'm not the only one. I'm STILL not stupid enough to be a hate-filled, hypocritical, lying and don't know who cares it, moral-less scumbag leftwinger Hell-bent on destroying everything this Nation stands for.

STFU and get off your high horse.
    Good thing Gunny replies to posts like Pete's. Otherwise, I would have to type all that out myself.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

24. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

What about the tariffs Canada (and other countries) puts on our goods? Can we get rid of those or is that different?