Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

This is a weird shot, but I guess those who know vehicles will know what they are looking at. Instead of straight down, I'm under the truck and this is straight up at bumper and radiator area.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok, last one, this is level with the hood so that you can see not only how far she was pushed back, but also how high away from it's original position. An awful lot of damage for a car that was about 10-12 feet away!!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    This so you can see where the entire bumper is pushed in and then flared out on BOTH sides - the passenger side looks identical to this damage.

That's the bumper fascia. Maybe you dodged a bullet there and your uni-frame is OK. Still a lot of damage, but it might be bolt on, but they'll still have to paint it all. Big money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

This is a weird shot, but I guess those who know vehicles will know what they are looking at. Instead of straight down, I'm under the truck and this is straight up at bumper and radiator area.

Most radiator supports are just bolt in, they're not part of the frame.

5. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Thanks for all the info, Tom!! I know shit about cars. But if you have a desktop computer in the passenger seat...

7. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thanks for all the info, Tom!! I know shit about cars. But if you have a desktop computer in the passenger seat...
    Newer cars have what's called a "crumple zone," and it's designed to absorb impacts better than an older car with a frame. Problem with that is, it transfers the impact through the whole car. This wasn't a high speed impact but still, it had a lot of energy behind it being it was a huge truck.

I'll be interested to hear what the body shop says.

I just CRINGED watching the vid. I was imagining that happening to my Camaro...

I've looked at dash cams a lot of times. That was very cool you have one. There's NO QUESTION who was at fault with that. GOOD idea.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-25-2018 at 02:06 PM.

9. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Newer cars have what's called a "crumple zone," and it's designed to absorb impacts better than an older car with a frame. Problem with that is, it transfers the impact through the whole car. This wasn't a high speed impact but still, it had a lot of energy behind it being it was a huge truck.

I'll be interested to hear what the body shop says.

I just CRINGED watching the vid. I was imagining that happening to my Camaro...

I've looked at dash cams a lot of times. That was very cool you have one. There's NO QUESTION who was at fault with that. GOOD idea.

Just got that in the truck like a month ago or so, and now I'm glad I did! But he turned out to be an older Italian gent "Alfredo" and was very nice about everything. Once I calmed and no longer wanted to fight, we got to talking and he was just really a nice guy. I feel bad for him, but not that bad.

11. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Just got that in the truck like a month ago or so, and now I'm glad I did! But he turned out to be an older Italian gent "Alfredo" and was very nice about everything. Once I calmed and no longer wanted to fight, we got to talking and he was just really a nice guy. I feel bad for him, but not that bad.
    I think I should get one for the Camaro. This incident with your car illustrates just how valuable they can be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I think I should get one for the Camaro. This incident with your car illustrates just how valuable they can be.
    I paid like $25 on Amazon, can't go wrong!!

14. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I paid like $25 on Amazon, can't go wrong!!
    Wow... no shit... I thought they were more expensive than that. I'm going to take another look.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Too bad Jim.

If his insurance totals it. You won't be happy either way. I just wondered why the AIRBAGS didn't deploy? Good thing it wasn't faster, or harder. But airbags should be checked....UNLESS you have them Turned Off.

Good luck. Kelly Blue Book time.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

this blows. Do you always record while driving though?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    If his insurance totals it. You won't be happy either way. I just wondered why the AIRBAGS didn't deploy? Good thing it wasn't faster, or harder. But airbags should be checked....UNLESS you have them Turned Off.

Good luck. Kelly Blue Book time.
    Those airbag computers are smart. They will determine speed and determine if it would do more damage to use them. So in this case - deceleration - there was none - and it likely knew it, so didn't deploy them. Only thing I can come up with!

19. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    this blows. Do you always record while driving though?
    Should I not be? It'll overwrite itself after time unless something happens - it auto knows it and saves that video. Or, if I do something bad, and think the cops may seize it, I can quickly eat the chip. LOL But honestly, I have really no reason to not have it running all the time, I think?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Should I not be? It'll overwrite itself after time unless something happens - it auto knows it and saves that video. Or, if I do something bad, and think the cops may seize it, I can quickly eat the chip. LOL But honestly, I have really no reason to not have it running all the time, I think?
    no no no...i love the idea. It's really neat. That's all. It's smart in today's world.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.