Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default I hate NY sometimes

One of the first things I didn't like about the new truck is that it feels a little like a fish bowl, as in the tinted windows. Now the 4 rear windows are seemingly ok, and the rear cargo window is ok - but the 2 front windows and windshield seem to "see through" for me. And I noticed my arm getting warm on the left window & also noticed the glare coming in through the side of my sunglasses.

I have a LONG history of migraines since I was a toddler, so for me this is unacceptable.

I asked my mechanic if he could make a referral - he said save your money, that the front windows can't be tinted at all any longer. Well he was wrong, you can get as much to the point that 70% of light transmits through the window. Apparently they come with like 10 from the manufacturer. But any tint forward may mean a failed inspection, thanks to NY's newest laws on tinted windows.

So I told the HONEST tint guy, that this blows, as I always had it before. He said he could still offer what eye patients will sometimes get. If your eyes are REAL bad, a note will allow for darker tint. If not, you go with what I'm getting tomorrow. It's 3M 5% nearly clear tint. This will be on both front windows and the entire windshield, and BOTH will be below the allowable light transmittal when complete. He said this actually blocks out the UV rays and heat even better, and that's why it's more expensive.

So I'll be walking around my old haunting grounds of White Plains tomorrow morning while they do the tint. Hopefully they won't take long, but more importantly is no bubbles or streaks!! If this works and blocks a lot of the heat, I'll be more than happy!

The one decent thing about NY - if that's not good enough - I can go with limo tint all the way back from there to make darker, as the laws are in my favor with my mirrors and SUV, allowing for any darkness.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

If I had to drive more I'd have to bite the bullet and get some prescription sunglasses. My glasses have gradient lenses, but they're little wire-rim ones that block out ZERO peripheral light. I don't get migraines, but my eyes went all light sensitive when I had that stroke and will squint almost shut. I have to wear really dark sunglasses just to go out and smoke.

My truck's just got factory tint and I have no idea what the tint law is here. I guarantee you the sun's a lot brighter down here than in NY. Something I could do without sometimes.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

State laws - robbing freedom in the name of supposed safety for hundreds of years.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.