Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yes. The jackass is talking over Trump at every point. What a crackpot. He's stating stuff that doesn't even need to be stated just to have something to day.
    OK, thanks for that.

I only wish that our people DID see him as a crackpot. He's been broadcasting for years, and every now and again he gets called upon by the BBC (a rival broadcaster to LBC) to host their flagship 'NewsNight' late night news and current affairs programme, aired on BBC2.

Usually, he's a phone-in host on LBC. His pet hates include Brexit ... he's passionately pro-Europe, and sees any effort on our part to leave the EU as an act of great self-harm (Trump's position on that couldn't be more different). I think he'll be delighted that Trump is going cool on the idea of new US-UK trade deals.

He also bullies his callers if they disagree with him too strongly. He'll talk over them, fade them out, disparage them, even cut off their calls, if he doesn't like the outcome of the call ....

... so, yes, of course he's a Left-winger ....
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

This is the last time (mercifully ?) I refer to James O'Brien, especially as I'm wandering from the point of the thread. Just to illustrate a point made before about his activities on NewsNight, and also his bullying style.

The Conservative person being interviewed laudably talks of the BBC's bias during the interview. Hopefully it'll play (??) ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Now back to the main subject ....

This has been a news item over here for several days .. and, now it's happened. The intended flying of a derisory effigy of Trump, depicted as a baby, in London, during Trump's visit here.

Trump is meant to be 'humiliated' by this action ... one receiving full approval from Sadiq Khan, our London Mayor.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/13/u...+-+Politics%29

A giant balloon of "Trump Baby" in a diaper took flight over Britain's Houses of Parliament Friday, kicking off a day of widespread protests against the US leader's controversial visit to the UK.

The orange-hued blimp was inflated in Parliament Square at about 9.30 a.m. as a crowd of onlookers cheered. As the air filled the six-meter (20-feet) ballon, it rose slowly into the air.

It flew at a height of about 30 meters (98 feet) for two hours, fluttering over Westminster Abbey and high above the statutes of prominent historical figures including Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi and Millicent Fawcett.

Blimp organizer Leo Murray told CNN the giant balloon had been designed to speak to Trump "in a language that he understands, which is personal insults."

Protesters gathered from early in the morning to watch the balloon go up. "No one really wants him to be in power ... he's not welcome in the UK, said Holly, a protester from London, who didn't give her last name. "It's bollocks," she said.

Instead of holding his meetings in London, Trump will instead hold talks with Prime Minister Theresa May at her country retreat outside the city and take tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle, west of London.

But in an interview with the Sun newspaper, he conceded that he felt unwelcome in London.

The request to fly the blimp was approved by London Mayor Sadiq Khan earlier this month. Khan, who has had a testy Twitter relationship with Trump, gave the unusual request the go-ahead after more than 10,000 people signed a petition.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-13-2018 at 06:42 AM.

5. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Another curious item ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-44807972

12:47

Stormy Daniels' lawyer protests in London

The lawyer who represents Stormy Daniels - the adult film star who says she slept with Donald Trump in 2006 - is in London for the
    Women's March.

Michael Avenatti tweeted yesterday that he was "looking forward" to attending the UK march "in protest of this most cruel and unusual president".
    According to the BBC report, a protest march is going through central London. No doubt it'll get fuller coverage ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The crowd gathered to protest Trump in London is larger than the one that gathered to hear Trump's inauguration speech.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/677099...-london-queen/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    The crowd gathered to protest Trump in London is larger than the one that gathered to hear Trump's inauguration speech.
    Umm, yeah, sure.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Umm, yeah, sure.
    .... Well .... according to the ever-accurate BBC, the numbers turning out for the central London protest is around the 10,000 mark. I don't know how this compares to the Inauguration Speech attendance.

You have to remember ... chances such as this for the Left, over here, to 'make their mark', only come by quite rarely (the last equivalent was Obama's NATO summit at the Celtic Manor, in Wales ... we Brits unsportingly parked two tanks on the nearby golf course, ruining his whole day ..). So, of course they'll mobilise in large numbers, now ! Probably many are wetting themselves in excitement over such a chance.

Fairness, decency, respect ... forget them all. The Left wants its mob tactics to 'shine through' at a time when Trump might be within 'reach' for them to do it. To make the loudest of noises. To throw tantrums. That's all they care about, and it's all they understand.

11. Thanks FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Even overseas, the President won't abide fake news:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/677099...-london-queen/

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Even overseas, the President won't abide fake news:

Good man ! I wish we had even ONE politician who was straightforward and uncompromising enough to take on such networks in such a fashion (... though, my BBC James O'Brien clip, previously, featured one Conservative who branded the BBC as biased ..).

Controversy exists, now, over a supposed interview Trump gave to the UK's Sun newspaper. According to the Sun, Trump said that if our current Brexit proposal from Mrs May wins the day, it'd mean we were still unacceptably tied to the EU on trade ... making any trade deals between the UK and US highly unlikely.

[This, of course, soured the mood somewhat, over here ....]

Trump later branded this story 'fake news'. Trump said such deals were on the cards, still.

ITV, the BBC's main competitor, report that Trump has done a 'U' turn (i.e changed his mind on this). This is at odds with what Trump himself says is true.

Today's central London protest march ... where I am, in Wales, our local news media have reported on busloads of people travelling from Cardiff to London to attend it. The impression is that the Left are going all-out to bus people from all parts of the UK to make the protests as massively attended as they can manage.

Here's an online ITV report on it:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-0...umps-uk-visit/

Protesters from Wales are to head to London to join a demonstration against Donald Trump.

The President is in London as part of his visit to the UK.

It comes after crowds gathered in Cardiff and Swansea yesterday to protest against Trump.

Hundreds took to the street as he met with Prime Minister Theresa May in London.
    [The 'hundreds' will refer just to the Welsh people, I'm sure ..].

Pictures of protesters in Cardiff .....

Last edited by Drummond; 07-13-2018 at 12:43 PM.

15. Thanks Gunny, FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

H'm. Judging by this, Trump retracted his 'fake news' allegation ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44820333

US President Donald Trump insisted he did not criticise Theresa May in the interview that dominated the build-up to the two leaders' press conference.

Mr Trump has sparked a backlash from UK politicians after telling The Sun the PM's Brexit plan would "probably kill" a UK-US trade deal.

He also said Boris Johnson would make a "great prime minister".

But after talks with Mrs May he claimed "tremendous things" he said about her had been left out of the Sun story.

He said the paper's story was "generally fine", but "it didn't put in what I said about the prime minister, and I said tremendous things".

"Fortunately, we tend to record stories now so we have it for your enjoyment if you'd like it," he said.

"We record when we deal with reporters, it's called fake news and we solve a lot of problems with the good old recording instrument."

The Sun's write-up of its interview, which was recorded, quoted him describing her as a "nice person" and saying they get along "very nicely".

..... Responding to Mr Trump's comments about The Sun, a spokesman for the newspaper said: "We stand by our reporting and the quotes we used - including those where the president was positive about the prime minister, in both the paper and in our audio - and we're delighted that the president essentially retracted his original charge against the paper later in the press conference.

"To say the president called us 'fake news' with any serious intent is, well... fake news."
    On a more positive note, here's this .... a very nice photo ....

Last edited by Drummond; 07-13-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Good man ! I wish we had even ONE politician who was straightforward and uncompromising enough to take on such networks in such a fashion (... though, my BBC James O'Brien clip, previously, featured one Conservative who branded the BBC as biased ..).

Controversy exists, now, over a supposed interview Trump gave to the UK's Sun newspaper. According to the Sun, Trump said that if our current Brexit proposal from Mrs May wins the day, it'd mean we were still unacceptably tied to the EU on trade ... making any trade deals between the UK and US highly unlikely.

[This, of course, soured the mood somewhat, over here ....]

Trump later branded this story 'fake news'. Trump said such deals were on the cards, still.

ITV, the BBC's main competitor, report that Trump has done a 'U' turn (i.e changed his mind on this). This is at odds with what Trump himself says is true.

Today's central London protest march ... where I am, in Wales, our local news media have reported on busloads of people travelling from Cardiff to London to attend it. The impression is that the Left are going all-out to bus people from all parts of the UK to make the protests as massively attended as they can manage.

Here's an online ITV report on it:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-0...umps-uk-visit/

[The 'hundreds' will refer just to the Welsh people, I'm sure ..].

Pictures of protesters in Cardiff .....

What I don't get is ... are people there just bored to death? Trump is not President of the UK. No offense, but you think he gives a hoot what anyone THERE thinks when he doesn't anyone HERE? They are going to have ZERO effect on him. Lot of time and money wasted on a pointless endeavor.

I don't recall the comment about not dealing with the UK even if BREXIT was successful. One would assume the leftwingnut MSM here would have been all over it had it been made. Maybe I was asleep?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The controversy involving the Sun interview is being widely reported here, Drummond. The Brits, along with a majority of the American public, still don't understand Pres. Trump's negotiating style. I knows it appears fumbling and disjointed compared to what the general public have come to know what politician speak should sound like. Just enjoy the ride and the results.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    The controversy involving the Sun interview is being widely reported here, Drummond. The Brits, along with a majority of the American public, still don't understand Pres. Trump's negotiating style. I knows it appears fumbling and disjointed compared to what the general public have come to know what politician speak should sound like. Just enjoy the ride and the results.
    I can see the "controversy" being reported by the left. Any real grounds for it?

I generally get Trump's style but see no real point to him making such a statement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I can see the "controversy" being reported by the left. Any real grounds for it?

I generally get Trump's style but see no real point to him making such a statement.

I believe his point in making his statement is to get May to quit trying to defang the Brexit movement by slow walking it and ultimately disregarding Brexit by maintaining an ongoing associate relationship with the EU. If this is her ultimate goal, then he believes that there is no point in negotiating a unilateral trade agreement with her since she would still be restricted by the EU in what she could agree to.

21. Thanks Gunny, SassyLady thanked this post