Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Dog training collar

It's difficult for me to think of it, but then it's not as bad as it seems, or is it? That's a weird sentence! Then again, pretty much everything I write...

The collar can either shock a dog. Send a vibration to the collar. Or it can just make the device beep. The idea certainly isn't to torture an animal, and even with such a device, I would punch someone in the face if they abused it.

You shock a few times to TRULY get attention, and with appropriate training, this goes away REAL fast, and it's easy to then get the beeping to work all on it's own.

The first thing I ever vowed is that I would never put something on the dog that I wouldn't put on myself. So it came in the mail today....

Right from the box I just up and put the 2 leads on the collar on my arm and zapped away - but I didn't feel anything. Of course THEN I read the manual, and went through the tiny setup process. I didn't feel anything, so instead of the preset number of 24, I raised it to 99. This would be the worst it could ever get. I still didn't feel anything.

The beeped worked great. The vibration works great, and I can definitely see why it would work by itself, getting the dog to focus, and take the focus away from the bad behavior.

So I jiggled it a little on my arm and hit the shock button again - AND DAMN - I nearly threw the device into the ceiling, it shocked and scared the bejeezus out of me all at the same time! I then lowered it to 30 and tried again. The device nearly hit the roof again, and of course I was giggling like a little idiot. I then set it to 10, what it recommends starting at, and you feel the tiniest level of electricity you can possibly feel. The higher amount is more WTF scared than actual pain. So you want the sweet spot, which will WTF the dog, but without the dog getting a real shock, just a refocus. And then you train and ultimately end up with using the beep or vibrate alone hopefully!

I'm going to find and shock the wife now! ...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It's difficult for me to think of it, but then it's not as bad as it seems, or is it? That's a weird sentence! Then again, pretty much everything I write...

The collar can either shock a dog. Send a vibration to the collar. Or it can just make the device beep. The idea certainly isn't to torture an animal, and even with such a device, I would punch someone in the face if they abused it.

You shock a few times to TRULY get attention, and with appropriate training, this goes away REAL fast, and it's easy to then get the beeping to work all on it's own.

The first thing I ever vowed is that I would never put something on the dog that I wouldn't put on myself. So it came in the mail today....

Right from the box I just up and put the 2 leads on the collar on my arm and zapped away - but I didn't feel anything. Of course THEN I read the manual, and went through the tiny setup process. I didn't feel anything, so instead of the preset number of 24, I raised it to 99. This would be the worst it could ever get. I still didn't feel anything.

The beeped worked great. The vibration works great, and I can definitely see why it would work by itself, getting the dog to focus, and take the focus away from the bad behavior.

So I jiggled it a little on my arm and hit the shock button again - AND DAMN - I nearly threw the device into the ceiling, it shocked and scared the bejeezus out of me all at the same time! I then lowered it to 30 and tried again. The device nearly hit the roof again, and of course I was giggling like a little idiot. I then set it to 10, what it recommends starting at, and you feel the tiniest level of electricity you can possibly feel. The higher amount is more WTF scared than actual pain. So you want the sweet spot, which will WTF the dog, but without the dog getting a real shock, just a refocus. And then you train and ultimately end up with using the beep or vibrate alone hopefully!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

You really do have a death wish!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

5. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    You really do have a death wish!
    My thoughts exactly.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Did you know that electric shock can save you from venomous snake bite? Even scorpion stings and poisonous spider bites...

http://venomshock.wikidot.com/

9. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Did you know that electric shock can save you from venomous snake bite? Even scorpion stings and poisonous spider bites...

I did not know, and that is weird. I can imagine my wife being bit, and then me trying to chase her down to shock her! LOL But hell, if that is so, that's something for folks to remember, as a low voltage shock is nothing if it saves your life!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Likes Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I did not know, and that is weird. I can imagine my wife being bit, and then me trying to chase her down to shock her! LOL But hell, if that is so, that's something for folks to remember, as a low voltage shock is nothing if it saves your life!
    A DC shock with very low current that is, like lightening. Lighten has extremely high voltage but little to no current, that's why some people survive lightening strikes. A quarter of an amp can kill you if you goes across your heart, but far more current won't if travels through you away from your heart.

Yeah evidently something in the electricity kills the venous component. I remember reading about this long ago in a "This Happened To Me" article in Field & Stream.

I don't think the collar would hurt Nikoh. Keep it on low just to get his attention. Might be a good way to get a dog's attention that has a high degree of energy and activity.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.

13. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Dumb Shit!

I was hooked into a TEMS unit for my back when they first came out.

Doc Snyder set it at 99, and I almost flew through the roof.

Do that to sweet wife and get shot, Dummie!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That is interesting. I had never heard of it before this.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Dumb Shit!

Yups!

Amazing how voltage changes so dang quickly, even at small amounts. 10 I can feel, enough to "change the focus", but it doesn't hurt in the slightest. I can set it to 99 - and mind you, it doesn't "hurt" - but it has you involuntarily clench or whatever. It WILL wake you up or stop you in your tracks from whatever you're doing, but it won't hurt you.

Now, if you put it on a dog, and hold the button repeatedly, and just keep doing it, you CAN burn them. And that's the part where I said I would punch someone in the face if I saw them doing so. I'll have this set at 10 to start, and will never go repeatedly. I'd rather go to 15, to get attention, and use once, instead of any repeated crap. I'm actually hoping to very rarely if ever use the voltage portion, but rather the beeping and vibration.

The tens machines are GREAT for folks with injuries. My sister in law in Georgia was the first one to show me one. And yeah, I used it for relief for a few minutes, and then of course jacked her up and started buzzing on Jeff and John!! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Dumb Shit!

I bought a TENS unit for my back off Amazon. Works great, but yeah, it'll sting the shit otta ya if you turn it up too high.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warr...ords=tens+unit
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.

18. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I bought a TENS unit for my back off Amazon. Works great, but yeah, it'll sting the shit otta ya if you turn it up too high.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warr...ords=tens+unit
    How is that one you got there? Effective?

I still get lasting and nagging pain in the upper back neck area, obviously from my neck surgeries combined with sitting upright, likely improperly. I've been told that these things are great for such pains. That's not a bad price at all for finally getting myself one. I'm a wimp, so if running for a tad, I'll also have 'er on a very low setting!

20. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I still get lasting and nagging pain in the upper back neck area, obviously from my neck surgeries combined with sitting upright, likely improperly. I've been told that these things are great for such pains. That's not a bad price at all for finally getting myself one. I'm a wimp, so if running for a tad, I'll also have 'er on a very low setting!
    Use a heating pad that can be damped.
    Never use salve when using the Pad, such as 'Icy-Hot'.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

It works great! You can use 2, 4 or all 6 of the pads, and it has a bunch of different patterns for electro-massage. I use it all the time, and the pads are super sticky and you can use them over and over, and the battery seems to last forever before you have to recharge it.

They say that electro-massage will even block the pain signal going to the brain, so that's another plus. I had a cervical discectomy on my neck so I suffer from almost constant neck pain, and it feels great when I use it on that. When my back hurts, depends on how many pads I use. I usually use 4, but have used just 2, not so great for the back, and all 6, and that feels awesome.

Yeah that's a great little unit, easy to use, great price, I'd recommend it. They do caution about hooking it up going across you heart.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-16-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I did not know that. I've been stung by scorpion and it took days for tingling and swelling to go away. I do have stun gun but I think I would rather go the conventional route.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.