Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default In your view, can a Minority be a Racist?

With the whole Biden thing -had a black man said what he said, would there be any uproar?

Mayor Nagin once prodly proclaimed NO as a "Chocolate City" and there was no uproar...Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpten are the most visible racists alive today - yet nobody holds them accountable.

White Males are likely the MINORITY by a LONG shot, in all of humanity, yet white males are those most-often accused of Racism...while a black man says things like Nagin, and nothing happens.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    With the whole Biden thing -had a black man said what he said, would there be any uproar?

Mayor Nagin once prodly proclaimed NO as a "Chocolate City" and there was no uproar...Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpten are the most visible racists alive today - yet nobody holds them accountable.

White Males are likely the MINORITY by a LONG shot, in all of humanity, yet white males are those most-often accused of Racism...while a black man says things like Nagin, and nothing happens.
    Hell yes. Let me tell you. I live in a predominantly black city (College Park, GA) and even though the majority of the blacks there are middle to upper middle class, I have definately noticed a difference in the way I am treated (a blue-eyed white male) compared to another black person. And let me tell you about their driving. Jeezus! It's like a demolition derby out there! And all the businesses are very poorly managed compared to the businesses in my home town and in the town I went to college in. Seriously.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Racism is defined as the belief that one race is superior to another. I not only believe that minorities can be racist, but I think most "African-American interests" lobbiests and Democrat race-baiters of all stripes are not only racists, but they are white supremicist racists. Think about it. They proclaim up and down that blacks must be given special priviledges to 'even the playing field.' Does this not imply that the playing field is, by nature, uneven in favor of whites? Doesn't this mean that whites are superior and that only with government help can an inferior black man succeed.

*For the record, I don't think any race is inherantly superior, just that they're all different.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Racism is defined as the belief that one race is superior to another. I not only believe that minorities can be racist, but I think most "African-American interests" lobbiests and Democrat race-baiters of all stripes are not only racists, but they are white supremicist racists. Think about it. They proclaim up and down that blacks must be given special priviledges to 'even the playing field.' Does this not imply that the playing field is, by nature, uneven in favor of whites? Doesn't this mean that whites are superior and that only with government help can an inferior black man succeed.

*For the record, I don't think any race is inherantly superior, just that they're all different.

Dude - WELCOME to this board. You are always the souce of pearls of wisdom such as the above.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dude, seriously. The playing field IS pretty damn uneven. I used to think that blacks, whites, yellows (racist I know), redskins, haha etc. were all equal, but there are serious differences between the races. I've learned that living where I do. The factors are mostly cultural, but people of other races have a much higher chance of being born into a lower class, ethnic life, which hinders them from reaching equal status with whites in a white culture automatically from birth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Dude, seriously. The playing field IS pretty damn uneven. I used to think that blacks, whites, yellows (racist I know), redskins, haha etc. were all equal, but there are serious differences between the races. I've learned that living where I do. The factors are mostly cultural, but people of other races have a much higher chance of being born into a lower class, ethnic life, which hinders them from reaching equal status with whites in a white culture automatically from birth.
    Which is why I advocate giving 'hand up' programs based on those factors, rather than directly on race. I live near Atlanta, and I know how much despair there is in the black ghettos and how many people get ahead (and now live in North Fulton) through some of the programs. However, we need to attack the playing field at the point where it is uneven, meaning offering help to low income families. Because of the currently prominent demographics, minorities will still recieve the majority of these programs, but they will also be open to whites who are in the same circumstances.

I have yet to see a good counter to the minority scholarship argument, "Well, if you need minority scholarships because minorities are poor, then why not just give a poor scholarship and open it up to all races?" And if we're talking about the black, inner city culture of embracing ignorance and hoping stardom saves you from poverty, that's blacks holding themselves back and no amount of handouts can fix that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which is why I advocate giving 'hand up' programs based on those factors, rather than directly on race. I live near Atlanta, and I know how much despair there is in the black ghettos and how many people get ahead (and now live in North Fulton) through some of the programs. However, we need to attack the playing field at the point where it is uneven, meaning offering help to low income families. Because of the currently prominent demographics, minorities will still recieve the majority of these programs, but they will also be open to whites who are in the same circumstances.

I have yet to see a good counter to the minority scholarship argument, "Well, if you need minority scholarships because minorities are poor, then why not just give a poor scholarship and open it up to all races?" And if we're talking about the black, inner city culture of embracing ignorance and hoping stardom saves you from poverty, that's blacks holding themselves back and no amount of handouts can fix that.
    I think the differences are largely class-based too rather than race-based. I think we'll never see an end to this debate. Wasn't it Jesus who said "the poor shall always be among you?" I think he was probably right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With our agreeance over class-based differences in mind, I am still curious as to why white/western culture has proven to be so much more superior to that of other cultures and why the white Euro-race has dominated the planet throughout human history. Have you ever read the book "Guns, Germs and Steel?" It's a good read if you're interested in anthropology.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hell yes. Let me tell you. I live in a predominantly black city (College Park, GA) and even though the majority of the blacks there are middle to upper middle class, I have definately noticed a difference in the way I am treated (a blue-eyed white male) compared to another black person. And let me tell you about their driving. Jeezus! It's like a demolition derby out there! And all the businesses are very poorly managed compared to the businesses in my home town and in the town I went to college in. Seriously.
    Stay off of MARTA.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Stay off of MARTA.
    Haha, actually MARTA is smarta!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You ask a question which begs two answers:

1. Yes. Someone in a minority can be racist, racism being the blanket hatred of another group of people based on their race.
    2. The fact of a group being a "minority" in no way prevents that group from oppressing a majority of people.

As for Nagin, there WAS an outcry. He was soundly thrashed for his comments.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With our agreeance over class-based differences in mind, I am still curious as to why white/western culture has proven to be so much more superior to that of other cultures and why the white Euro-race has dominated the planet throughout human history. Have you ever read the book "Guns, Germs and Steel?" It's a good read if you're interested in anthropology.
    Chinese researchers studying the rise of the West have attributed the success of White Europeans to Christianity, claiming it is the only thing that sets Europe apart from everyone else in the world. This would also explain the decline of the West coinciding with its secularization. The Protestant work ethic, the desire of scientists to understand God's creation, and several other key factors in Christianity are quite possibly why, for example, most cultures had an alchemy program, but Europe was the first to develop actual chemistry.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    As for Nagin, there WAS an outcry. He was soundly thrashed for his comments.

:bs:

Trent Lott said something even MORE innocent, and HE lost his job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, a minority cannot be a racist, by definition. I have it on the authority of my African-American Studies professor at NKU (a ponytailed, jeans-wearing white man). This is what I learned at university, and I believe everything I was taught there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:bs:

Trent Lott said something even MORE innocent, and HE lost his job.

What Trent said wasn't innocent. But do we really want to debate that issue yet again on *this* thread.... particularly since your question was an interesting one.