Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Modern passenger planes are incredibly-capable...watch.

unreal.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

2. Thanks Gunny, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

They scare the crap out of me. I felt safer on a CH-46 than one of those modern "buses with wings". The wind alone blows them around. Old school passenger planes just blasted through most turbulence. You feel every rattle on the new ones.

I've made one round trip on the noobs and it'll be my last if I can help it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Always loved to fly.

One of my bucket list item's is learning to fly. Maybe just once, in a piper cub. Gunny loved helo's, I flew in a few myself. But, there's nothing like a 747 civilian, or an Air Force C-41, that flew me home during the 1ST Gulf WAR...Operation Desert Storm.
    Got to see NEW YORK CITY from 40,000 feet, and it looked amazing, seeing all 5 boro's at once.
    Flying is safer than driving among the PEP BOY LICENSE crowd.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

5. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    They scare the crap out of me. I felt safer on a CH-46 than one of those modern "buses with wings". The wind alone blows them around. Old school passenger planes just blasted through most turbulence. You feel every rattle on the new ones.

What scares me is thinking, as i sit there, I am about 8 feet from 30,000 feet of empty air. It's unnatural. I get flight-fear pretty rough. I felt uneasy in CH47s because the thing would rattle and shake...but at least i could see the crew and trusted them. On commercial air I feel like i'm in an egg carton

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    One of my bucket list item's is learning to fly. Maybe just once, in a piper cub. Gunny loved helo's, I flew in a few myself. But, there's nothing like a 747 civilian, or an Air Force C-141, that flew me home during the 1ST Gulf WAR...Operation Desert Storm.
    Got to see NEW YORK CITY from 40,000 feet, and it looked amazing, seeing all 5 boro's at once.
    Flying is safer than driving among the PEP BOY LICENSE crowd.

I've done blackhawk simulator time. I think learning to basically fly shouldn't take but a few hours.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

7. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Let me tell you a story about feeling every rattle. I was returning home from my first trip to Asia in Nov. '85. My Pan Am flight took off at sunrise from Kai Tak International, Hong Kong and landed 13 hours later at sunrise at San Francisco International. The only land I saw the entire flight was the island of Guam for about 15 minutes. Just as the light was disappearing over the middle of the Pacific, the overhead bins began to violently shake and eventually the seats were shaking, trays falling in the galleys the whole nine yards. This went on for about three minutes. Suddenly the shaking stopped and I was being pushed back in my seat as the aircraft accelerated. Eventually the captain came over the PA system and apologized for the discomfort but he had found the jet stream and figured it would knock an hour and a half to two hours off our flight time.

Pan Am was on its last legs at the time and I must have been on board one of the original 747's they ever purchased. Tears in seats taped up, cabinets not latching in the bathrooms, worn carpeting, etc. I thought the aircraft was in the process of disintegrating at 35,000 ft over the middle of the Pacific, what a ride!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I hate!! flying!

I did not mind it much in helicopters in the Service, but
    fixed wing commercial?

The two worst were LaGuardia and San Francisco -SFO...
    The cross winds at SFO will knock a 737 50 feet sideways!
    LaGuardia was horrible for the take off slope.

Dad - USAF 1946 to 1995 - asked if I was a 'white knuckle" flyer.
    Told him "Nope....white up to the Elbows"
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

10. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I hate!! flying!

I did not mind it much in helicopters in the Service, but
    fixed wing commercial?

The two worst were LaGuardia and San Francisco -SFO...
    The cross winds at SFO will knock a 737 50 feet sideways!
    LaGuardia was horrible for the take off slope.

Dad - USAF 1946 to 1995 - asked if I was a 'white knuckle" flyer.
    Told him "Nope....white up to the Elbows"
    I flew in and out of Kai Tak, Hong Kong 20-25 times. They opened a new airport after I quit flying there. Crosswinds were always a problem there. I can't tell you how many times I landed there just the the planes in the video. White knuckle for sure!:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Just got back from a month in Indonesia. Had a 15.5hr flight to and from connecting Taipei. Modern planes and aviation is so safe these days I don't worry at all. Even in strong turbulence. The crash rate is so extremely low.
    Last edited by pete311; 07-28-2018 at 09:18 AM.

13. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Just got back from a month in Indonesia.
    pics or it never happened.

15. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Perhaps I lack imagination ... but commercial jet flying has never bothered me. Not even the one transatlantic flight I took, going home to London from New York, which had severe turbulance, mid-flight.

Jumbo jets 'feel' unwieldy, somehow. But my faith in engineers and flight crew is total. Those things wouldn't be flying, if they really WERE a tenth as scary as my imagination COULD tell me that they were ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I took one flight out of Wash D.C. to Norfolk on a 'short hop' prop job.
    It was thunderstorm season and that plane was knocked all over at 20k feet.
    When we landed I kissed the ground, and the other 18 passengers applauded!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!