Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default 3 hour vid: peterson/rogan - Jordan preaches; better than most sermons i've heard

Jordan Peterson offers more help, hope and insight than most pastors i've heard.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default 3 hour vid: peterson/rogan - Jordan preaches; better than most sermons i've heard

A fair long form interview that gives him a chance to really put out his ideas and build on them - however it’s clear that Rogan isn’t really in a position to push back on those ideas - and arguments always sound better when they’ll not put to scrutiny.

The time they spent discussing his and his daughters diet is one of the weirder stories I’ve ever heard about.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Nothing he says has to be challenged. This wasn't a debate - was a way to teach people how to do things better, to think better, to fix their reasoning and efforts.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Nothing he says has to be challenged. This wasn't a debate - was a way to teach people how to do things better, to think better, to fix their reasoning and efforts.
    I get that the format of the show is not designed to challenge the guest, which is fine to an extent, though because of that it does end up as a sort of private PR exercise because of that.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I get that the format of the show is not designed to challenge the guest, which is fine to an extent, though because of that it does end up as a sort of private PR exercise because of that.
    What do you want to happen that he hasn't already done?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    What do you want to happen that he hasn't already done?
    Peterson? I definitely want to see him in some challenging debates, and for him to have some pressure applied to his ideas - for example my biggest gripe (which iirc was mentioned in passing in the Rogan interview) is his bizarre belief in pragmatic truth, and given what is “true” is a pretty big component of any discussion I think that needs to be pressed hard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Peterson? I definitely want to see him in some challenging debates, and for him to have some pressure applied to his ideas - for example my biggest gripe (which iirc was mentioned in passing in the Rogan interview) is his bizarre belief in pragmatic truth, and given what is “true” is a pretty big component of any discussion I think that needs to be pressed hard.
    Munk Debate on Political Correctness?
    Debate at University of Toronto
    Rubin Report with Ben Shapiro
    Sam Harris

So, you probably ascribe to the Sam Harris view of what is "truth".
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Noir....how lonely you must be?

A fair long form interview that gives him a chance to really put out his ideas and build on them - however it’s clear that Rogan isn’t really in a position to push back on those ideas - and arguments always sound better when they’ll not put to scrutiny.

The time they spent discussing his and his daughters diet is one of the weirder stories I’ve ever heard about.

Maybe you will never notice Noir, but after seeing your endless..."glass is always half empty" negativity in most of your posts. You actually come off as someone who is deeply troubled by being a human being, among other humans whom you must always INSTRUCT, as to how YOU believe they should react, think, or speak. Life must be really miserable for you, and DP is the only outlet you have...where nobody can stop you from whining about life...at any extreme.
    If you would like to discuss it. I know, you won't lower yourself to respond to me.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Munk Debate on Political Correctness?
    Debate at University of Toronto
    Rubin Report with Ben Shapiro
    Sam Harris

So, you probably ascribe to the Sam Harris view of what is "truth".
    The Munk debate was pretty awful in terms of a debate, not Peterson’s fault but still. His discussions with Harris and Shapiro aren’t overly combative, thought they are atleast interesting.

Truth beyond the cogito is a real difficult question, I don’t know if I could back the Harris view to the hilt, however Peterson’s position is demonstrably unhelpful imo.
    Last edited by Noir; 08-03-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Life must be really miserable for you
    Sorry, but wrong. Let’s talk about the topic instead (:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default I agree with you Noir....

Sorry, but wrong. Let’s talk about the topic instead (:

You ARE sorry! YOU have become the topic.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !