Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Millennials & Dating

If anyone here is exposed to young folks from high school through their twenties, you will understand.

When we were young, if a boy liked a girl, he asked her out. On a date. And if things went well, often he’d ask her to “go steady”. Not a complicated process, and everyone pretty much knew where they stood.

Have you seen the current state of relationships between singles? They don’t admit to dating; they just “hang out”, because you know they are too cool to appear interested. Maybe it’s due to that lessened testosterone someone mentioned? Maybe it’s because women are so aggressive now? Maybe one has caused the other? Hmm.

No one admits to having a boyfriend/girlfriend. They discuss whether or not they have a “connection”, and the first thing they do when the connection changes is update FB.

I’m amazed when I see someone actually get engaged.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Social media.... that's how they do EVERYTHING.... face to face interaction ain't gonna happen. Most of the millennials I have seen are socially inept unless they are texting/tweeting
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Russ thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Back then we had like "57" flavors or whatever the number was, and the boys and girls were outside being normal. Today, we have like 57 states & 57 different types of genders. It must be hard to date when you have so little time to figure out such a massive scale of genders!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Russ thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Millennials & Dating

As a “millennial” I don’t recognise that description at all, pretty much all of my social circle either friends or family discuss dating, and their boyfriends/girlfriends etc. and I’m at an age we’re many of my friends/family are now getting engaged/married.

Maybe it’s a cultural difference, but I think so as many of our social expressions in the U.K. are Americanised, so I doubt that. Or maybe my social circles a bunch of weirds.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Social media.... that's how they do EVERYTHING.... face to face interaction ain't gonna happen. Most of the millennials I have seen are socially inept unless they are texting/tweeting
    Boy, ain’t that the truth. And they are afraid to even call each other. It would apparently show too much interest.

-Abbey

9. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Boy, ain’t that the truth. And they are afraid to even call each other. It would apparently show too much interest.
    Being indoctrinated into a culture of no commitment supports the way they are acting. We see schools, society, media and Hollywood all supporting this
    abhorrent behavior and vilifying the societal standards of their parents/grandparents.
    Such is destruction being promoted by certain entities, main ones being our own government ,public education and media, IMHO.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

11. Thanks Abbey Marie, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

It depends on where you are, millennials aren't a monolithic group. My 20 year old is dating a very nice girl, I'm not sure how much phone time they actually get and I'm sure they text more than anything. But, they do date and see movies as well as hang out here at the house. My 25 yea old is married--and celebrated his one year on Sunday.

I've seen lazy 20 somethings and hardworking 20 somethings, it's all down to which degrees or career fields they've gone into.

13. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    As a “millennial” I don’t recognise that description at all, pretty much all of my social circle either friends or family discuss dating, and their boyfriends/girlfriends etc. and I’m at an age we’re many of my friends/family are now getting engaged/married.

Maybe it’s a cultural difference, but I think so as many of our social expressions in the U.K. are Americanised, so I doubt that. Or maybe my social circles a bunch of weirds.

My 25 year old goes to weddings all the time, many of his friends are also starting to have kids.

15. Thanks Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Mores change. My mom never understood, 'going steady.' Coming of age in the late 30's and 40's, she dated a lot. Some for awhile, some just a few times or once. No promises given or expected. Until one met 'the one' that was worth going out for a long while and got engaged, you dated. Of course sex wasn't happening on the third date or sooner, so I guess that is one difference.

My kids dated when two dates made a 'in a relationship.' Dating someone else, without 'breaking up' would be cheating. How in the hell do you cheat on someone after a week or two?

They are all married now, seemingly happily.

Sometimes I just feel so 'out of it,' that I'm not down on the generations that follow. Maybe I don't want to sound like those that used to complain about the music of our times-sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

17. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Easiest way to RUIN a Millenial's Day, Week, Month, or Life???

Cell towers stop operating. Batteries run down. The Electric Grid goes DARK.

Millenials depend on ELECTRONIC devices too much. They no longer SPEAK actual words, and they rarely....if ever, look into someone else's eyes. Computer dating is really safe. NEVER CONSUMATED as long as the batteries are at full power.

Last edited by aboutime; 08-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

19. Thanks Abbey Marie, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Being indoctrinated into a culture of no commitment supports the way they are acting. We see schools, society, media and Hollywood all supporting this
    abhorrent behavior and vilifying the societal standards of their parents/grandparents.
    Such is destruction being promoted by certain entities, main ones being our own government ,public education and media, IMHO.-Tyr
    Great point, Tyr. It is inherent in the culture at this point. I was watching a show where a guy in his 20s admitted he was a virgin. The girl on the date with him actually left the room to try to absorb this horrifying information.

And how often do we see folks doing things in this order:
    Have child
    Buy house
    Get married (maybe, maybe not).

As for every generation “looking down on” the next, there is a fairly big difference between unlikable differences in music and clothing, vs a wholesale failure to being able to admit to dating, or to make a commitment to someone. I love my daughter’s friends; in fact, they just vacationed with us old folks. I’m talking about a fundamental cultural shift, not old biddies looking down on “those crazy kids”.

And never did I say no one ever dates or marries. Of course they do. There are no absolutes in culture, and always anecdotal evidence. But if you havent noticed this “hanging out” phenomenon, I’m not sure what to say. It is pretty huge.

-Abbey

21. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post