Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default 1 day to Rensselaer

I have very confused emotions about all of this. My truck is already packed with a huge refrigerator for a "mini" for his dorm room, a microwave and a monster sized chest filled with hopefully everything he will need. Will pack computer stuff very last as leaving, likely like 6am tomorrow. I had found a dorm room "move in checklist" a ways back and got him a ton of shit.

Part of me is so happy that all the high school crap is behind him and us, and so so happy for him to be about to living his dream. This was his first choice when he was in like 7th grade. He put his mind to it and made it happen, not us in the slightest. I'm hoping to see him make new friends and open new opportunities. I'm happy that he will be living on his own, responsible for himself, he truly needs that, and he'll be doing so in a safe environment and with support all around him. He'll have no choice but to get up early here, work hard, walk a lot and stay up late a lot. Do it or go home, now's the time to shine and don't look back or sideways for 4 years.

I'm saddened that I won't see him but rarely. I'm nervous that he'll fit in, and make friends, and be happy while he learns. The kid never leaves the house, and I mean never, so this will be a huge leap for him, and I'm scared for him, even if he's thrilled and looking forward to it. I'm scared that he won't hack it, even though I know he is well above average in the intelligence department. I just have so many worries to go along with all of the happiness.

Tomorrow will be a long day. 3 hours or so each way. Unpack all this crap. Help him settle in. Probably all go out for dinner and then say goodbye.

And then it will be me, a chihuahua and a husky for awhile. And Gunny just HAD to mention something about "empty nest syndrome" in my last thread and has me worried, as I do get set off easily in depression mode.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Hell, you DO know that successful parenting is that your kids leave, right? I mean they should also want to visit, but it's time to soar. Don't let your fears leak, if he's excited, he'll find his way. Umm, in your list of 'left behind,' you forgot the lady, whom you now can get to know outside of being parents. Have fun and do your own explorations!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I can vouch that Kath is consistent in message. I think she pretty much counseled me similarly.

Our daughter has a friend who has plenty of other friends and social activities. But she was still afraid to live away at school, and commuted all 4 years. Eventually, though, she overcame it, and moved away to Kentucky.

Your son is showing courage in taking this step. I agree with Kath that if you possibly can, only show him enthusiasm tomorrow. I know it will be difficult!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

My friend, I predict your son will do just fine and your doubts/fears(which are natural) will prove to be unfounded even tho' they are evidence of a parent that truly and deeply loves their child.
    I pray blessings and good days are a steady occurrence for him and he proves to the world what great and loving parents he has..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

8. Likes jimnyc, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Today was a long emotional day, but we all made it through!

We arrived and they directed everyone to the RPI indoor stadium, basketball place it looks like. Get in line behind the other 2,000 people to get your ID badge and keys to your room. It went much faster than you would have thought though. Maybe like 1.5 hours? But now we still have everything in the truck to unload. Well, not that easy. BACK IN LINE again, a smaller line at least, of vehicles in line for each dorm. That was like another hour before we got to the front of the line. But the school has it very well rehearsed! When we pulled up, they had us pull up almost right on a pathway by the front door to Jordan's dorm. They had like 40 kids there, college kids, in red shirts helping. So we emptied the truck on the grass in like 5 minutes, and while I went to park - they literally did all the work and brought all the stuff to the kids room. Sweet!

Parked and went back and found his room. Pretty cool, 17 and first time out of the house, and they have him in a co-ed dorms, and not even floor separated. I saw several gals setting their things up on the same floor as him - thankfully which was the 1st floor! And the board has some photos and appears to be 5 RA's in his one building. The cafeteria hall is like 30 feet from his dorm entrance. The only thing is shared mens room/showering, common rooms, is what it is. Also, pretty dang hot in his room and only fans allowed!! I'd have to quit college on day one! LOL

Went food shopping and some last minute crap and some electronic crap (I like gadgets) So his freezer and fridge are full already, and his microwave runs well. Even got him the mandatory college kid box of 50 Ramen Noodles!

But eventually had to say goodbye. I'm not good with goodbyes. I'm not good with goodbyes when it's good friends, you can imagine how it feels knowing this is my child. Relief that things are done and he's ready to rock, but very nervous myself, for him I guess, and feel sad.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sounds like it’s going well!

Are the boys and girls sharing the bathrooms and showers?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

11. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Uncle Tom predicts everything will be fine...

13. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Today was a long emotional day, but we all made it through!

We arrived and they directed everyone to the RPI indoor stadium, basketball place it looks like. Get in line behind the other 2,000 people to get your ID badge and keys to your room. It went much faster than you would have thought though. Maybe like 1.5 hours? But now we still have everything in the truck to unload. Well, not that easy. BACK IN LINE again, a smaller line at least, of vehicles in line for each dorm. That was like another hour before we got to the front of the line. But the school has it very well rehearsed! When we pulled up, they had us pull up almost right on a pathway by the front door to Jordan's dorm. They had like 40 kids there, college kids, in red shirts helping. So we emptied the truck on the grass in like 5 minutes, and while I went to park - they literally did all the work and brought all the stuff to the kids room. Sweet!

Parked and went back and found his room. Pretty cool, 17 and first time out of the house, and they have him in a co-ed dorms, and not even floor separated. I saw several gals setting their things up on the same floor as him - thankfully which was the 1st floor! And the board has some photos and appears to be 5 RA's in his one building. The cafeteria hall is like 30 feet from his dorm entrance. The only thing is shared mens room/showering, common rooms, is what it is. Also, pretty dang hot in his room and only fans allowed!! I'd have to quit college on day one! LOL

Went food shopping and some last minute crap and some electronic crap (I like gadgets) So his freezer and fridge are full already, and his microwave runs well. Even got him the mandatory college kid box of 50 Ramen Noodles!

But eventually had to say goodbye. I'm not good with goodbyes. I'm not good with goodbyes when it's good friends, you can imagine how it feels knowing this is my child. Relief that things are done and he's ready to rock, but very nervous myself, for him I guess, and feel sad.

Sounds like a good start! Are you going back for Homecoming? If so, get a room now!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

15. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Sounds like it’s going well!

Are the boys and girls sharing the bathrooms and showers?

Ooooo, I'm sure the boy wishes! But no, separate bathrooms on separate floors.

17. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Sounds like a good start! Are you going back for Homecoming? If so, get a room now!
    I thought of that, and asked the woman and she said no? How big of a deal is this, outside of everyone of course hitting up the football game that weekend? Never went to one outside of weekend football games at Rutgers Uni homecoming, because they played Virginia Tech that weekend - and we also went to Virginia Tech once for the same, I don't recall who they played, Wake Forest maybe? But we never did anything outside that as both times were just as adults going to the game only.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I thought of that, and asked the woman and she said no? How big of a deal is this, outside of everyone of course hitting up the football game that weekend? Never went to one outside of weekend football games at Rutgers Uni homecoming, because they played Virginia Tech that weekend - and we also went to Virginia Tech once for the same, I don't recall who they played, Wake Forest maybe? But we never did anything outside that as both times were just as adults going to the game only.
    Neither of my boys, nor daughter played football. None showed much interest in HS, other than the dance. College? Way different, especially freshman year. No dance, but the game was 'big' for parents to come. At least at their state schools they combined with a bunch of activities for families, might be different at his school.

I think it's basically a good excuse for parents to come and see the 'settling in.'

20. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Neither of my boys, nor daughter played football. None showed much interest in HS, other than the dance. College? Way different, especially freshman year. No dance, but the game was 'big' for parents to come. At least at their state schools they combined with a bunch of activities for families, might be different at his school.

I think it's basically a good excuse for parents to come and see the 'settling in.'
    It looks pretty big there according to their calendar, a 2-3 day event actually. The reason that Diana had quickly shrugged as she went to VT, she knows, and all I saw was the insane crowds and parking - and that's what she said, good luck getting a hotel, even now, and that the place will be miserably packed and not fun - unless you were a student on campus. I still may talk her into going. I enjoyed my time there yesterday and would like to go back, and have more time to visit and check things out. And yeah, I'd be curious just how he is settling in by then, and how badly he could destroy a tiny dorm room! Probably won't do laundry til homecoming! LOL

22. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It looks pretty big there according to their calendar, a 2-3 day event actually. The reason that Diana had quickly shrugged as she went to VT, she knows, and all I saw was the insane crowds and parking - and that's what she said, good luck getting a hotel, even now, and that the place will be miserably packed and not fun - unless you were a student on campus. I still may talk her into going. I enjoyed my time there yesterday and would like to go back, and have more time to visit and check things out. And yeah, I'd be curious just how he is settling in by then, and how badly he could destroy a tiny dorm room! Probably won't do laundry til homecoming! LOL
    I would think a lot of the parents aren't within easy driving, lots of out of state? I bet you can get a room, maybe not what you'd pick right off the bat, but something. It was a lot of fun and I'm not big on football.

Derek wanted me to come down for his last year, he was an RA and 'big on the school.' He got me a room in one of the dorms that had closed-I think it was like $60! LOL! Only for parents though. They've since demolished that one, but I think there's still two they are holding off on, as they could be remodeled if needed.

If it's at the end of Sept, I bet he'll be dying to go out for a couple of meals.