Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    If you mean is he like Sean Hannity, meaning Trump really could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and the writer find a ready excuse? No. If you mean he finds every opportunity to bash Trump? No.

As you say, he is most definitely conservative. He is 'for' the President succeeding, but is not without criticism. I do believe he voted for Trump and thus far, intends to repeat that.

In any case, you are focused on the messenger, rather than the message. I really expect more from you.
    Do you, now ? I'm rather less concerned about what you 'expect' from me than you think I should be.

I did indeed focus on the messenger. Why ever not ? You have to remember that I'm not likely to have heard of Ed Morrissey ... so ... I'm naturally going to immediately question whether he has his agenda, and, what exactly it is.

I'm gratified that Morrissey will continue to vote for Trump. But that doesn't mean that he 'owns' Trump. Trump has his way of doing things, he has his agenda, he has his mindset. Morrissey - IF he's a supporter - should respect all that.

Our UK ambassador has manifestly failed in his duty. He's meant to be a diplomat, someone SMOOTHING relations between our two countries .. not someone using his position to inject his prejudicial subjectivity into a narrative with poisonous effect.

I'm sure Trump understands this, and includes that in his overall judgment against Sir Kim. He well understands that to continue to have dealings with that particular character serves no useful purpose whatsoever.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Do you, now ? I'm rather less concerned about what you 'expect' from me than you think I should be.

I did indeed focus on the messenger. Why ever not ? You have to remember that I'm not likely to have heard of Ed Morrissey ... so ... I'm naturally going to immediately question whether he has his agenda, and, what exactly it is.

I'm gratified that Morrissey will continue to vote for Trump. But that doesn't mean that he 'owns' Trump. Trump has his way of doing things, he has his agenda, he has his mindset. Morrissey - IF he's a supporter - should respect all that.

Our UK ambassador has manifestly failed in his duty. He's meant to be a diplomat, someone SMOOTHING relations between our two countries .. not someone using his position to inject his prejudicial subjectivity into a narrative with poisonous effect.

I'm sure Trump understands this, and includes that in his overall judgment against Sir Kim. He well understands that to continue to have dealings with that particular character serves no useful purpose whatsoever.
    LOL! I don't really care what concerns you or not, just saying that usually you give more response to content. In this case you choose not to. Fine.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

LOL! I don't really care what concerns you or not, just saying that usually you give more response to content. In this case you choose not to. Fine.
    Glad you approve, Kath.

My responses are mine to make. I respond according to what I think merits a response ... I have that right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@Noir Just in case you think all Americans or even conservatives are in lock step...

Same site, different writer. He's very conservative, but further from pro-Trump. He mentions some of the previous article, but is giving an American perspective on what we're hearing from the UK regarding those emails and author and politicians...

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpun...ctful-country/

British Foreign Secretary Hits Back At Trump Over Ambassador: Your Comments Are Disrespectful To Our CountryALLAHPUNDITPosted at 1:31 pm on July 9, 2019

The British foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt, also happens to be one of the two finalists to succeed Theresa May as prime minister, which gave him extra incentive to fire at Trump here. The target audience for these tweets is obviously UK voters more so than the president, with Hunt seizing an opportunity to stand up to a domineering American as the Tories prepare to choose a new leader. The British naturally don’t like being viewed as the “junior partner” in the U.S.-UK “special relationship” and now here’s Trump poking them in that sore spot by presuming to tell them not just who their ambassador should be but that they’ve handled the wrenching issue of Brexit badly.

It was a gimme for Hunt to show some spine, not just to keep up morale among the diplomats he oversees but to try to impress the Tory rank-and-file before the PM vote.

Which, as I said yesterday, leaves the other finalist — and favorite — for PM in a bind. Does Boris Johnson lie low and risk looking weak on this relative to Hunt? Or does he join Hunt in vowing to keep Kim Darroch on as ambassador and risk a spat with the White House before he’s even taken office?

2,710 people are talking about this

Jeremy Hunt
    @Jeremy_Hunt

2/2...but allies need to treat each other with respect as @theresa_may has always done with you. Ambassadors are appointed by the UK government and if I become PM our Ambassador stays.

9:15 AM - Jul 9, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

2,096 people are talking about this

Johnson’s going to have to line up with Hunt. He’d look like the cuck to end all cucks if he took the boorish Yank’s side against his own team.

To my surprise, Darroch hasn’t (yet) resigned. I assume he’s offered to, just to spare May and Hunt the dilemma of what to do about all this. The fact that his resignation hasn’t been accepted is all the evidence we need that the Brits have had it with Trump’s antics and would rather spite him than make this concession. Besides, as Ed rightly noted this morning, Darroch’s done nothing wrong. He gave his honest opinion about the government of the nation where he was stationed, believing it would remain confidential. The leak was wrong but there’s no evidence that Darroch was involved in that. (Why the hell would he be, knowing what it would mean for him professionally?) If Trump were less narcissistic, he could have channeled his pique at Darroch’s criticism of him into faux concern about British cybersecurity. “Not sure how we can continue to meet with British diplomats knowing that they can’t protect their own secrets! Sad!”

Although after Snowden and Wikileaks and 8,000 other breaches of U.S. cybersecurity, that argument would have been even less convincing than his tantrum over what Darroch wrote about him.

From what I can tell, British media today is a mix of “How can Darroch possibly continue?” and more defiant pieces like this one from Alex Massie at the Spectator, tearing into Nigel Farage for toadying on Trump’s behalf by demanding Darroch be canned:

Still, sides must be chosen. Donald Trump doesn’t like the UK’s ambassador to the United States and if Donald Trump says that then his British acolytes will agree with him. This, it seems, is what believing in Britain is all about. There is something humiliating, even perhaps something servile, about this.

On the right as well as on the left there is now an instinctive willingness to grant foreign powers the benefit of the doubt while reserving nothing but contempt for the claimed fecklessness of our own political leaders, diplomats and other representatives. It is hardly a surprise that Nigel Farage and Jeremy Corbyn each, for different reasons, grant Vladimir Putin a measure of indulgence they would never offer the UK’s own political leaders.

The irony is that if Trump really wants Darroch replaced and isn’t just exploiting Diplogate to pick a fight with May’s government for whatever weird Trumpy reason, the worst thing he could have done is tweet about it. He should have spoken to them privately and nudged them to create some pretext for Darroch to leave his post early or even to resign forthrightly as penance for the leak of his cables. By making a public stink about it, he forced the Brits to make a “him or me” decision in full view of their own citizens. Naturally they were going to side with their own man. Which is to say, this very incident demonstrates the aptness of some of Darroch’s criticism of the administration — diplomatically clumsy, unpredictable, inept.

Here’s Hunt yesterday sounding much more diplomatic about this mess, before the latest round of presidential tweet-farting forced a sterner response.

(Video)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

@Noir Just in case you think all Americans or even conservatives are in lock step...

Same site, different writer. He's very conservative, but further from pro-Trump. He mentions some of the previous article, but is giving an American perspective on what we're hearing from the UK regarding those emails and author and politicians...

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpun...ctful-country/
    Is this 'different writer' actually a Trump hater ? I get that impression.

Anyway: you aimed your post at Noir ? OK. I'll limit my own response.

Just to report this ... a short while ago on British television, the two Conservative leadership (therefore PM) contenders, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt, squared off against each other in a TV debate (on ITV). On this matter of the British ambassador, each was asked about Sir Kim's future as ambassador to the US.

Jeremy Hunt was emphatic. He said that, as PM, he'd keep Darroch in his current post until he was due to retire.

Boris Johnson was less forthcoming, and gave no definite commitment either way, just saying that he'd built up a good relationship with the White House. He did say that, as PM, it would fall to him, and only him, to decide if Sir Kim continued on as Ambassador (i.e, implying he'd not bend to pressures to remove him).

So it appears that your writer/commentator has judged this with some degree of accuracy. Neither Johnson nor Hunt want to seem to 'bend' to Trump's own preferences ... but, it was only Hunt who categorically pledged to keep the current Ambassador doing his current job for months to come.

Hunt, by the way, also took issue with Trump's criticism of Theresa May ... he considers the criticism unjust and unacceptable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Once again, Trump wins:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...sador-cheerio/

Ambassador is allowed to resign.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Once again, Trump wins:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...sador-cheerio/

Ambassador is allowed to resign.
    I don't understand your comment.

Darroch resigned because he was unable to continue doing his job as UK Ambassador.

Why ?

Because his comments on Trump and his Administration were so poisonous to the nature of that job, that to continue on would have been impossible. Darroch is supposed to be A DIPLOMAT ... not a figure who gives vent, in an official communication, to whatever biases, prejudices, twisted perceptions, his mind is infected with.

Darroch was never privy to the inner workings of the Trump Administration .. how could he be ? His only real and detailed knowledge of Trump himself, beyond a swift meeting or 2 where they shook hands, in front of cameras, was filtered by media prejudices. After all, Darroch - despite his diplomatic status - was nonetheless NOT an 'insider', but someone on the outside, looking in, as any foreign figure would be.

I'm disgusted by the whole business. Darroch - as Nigel Farage correctly assesses - wasn't fit to continue on as 'ambassador'. Happily Darroch himself, however belatedly, understood what he had to do, and he did it.

But our politicians are busily heaping PRAISE on Darroch, and so ludicrous is this, that for Boris Johnson to so much as hint at a lack of support for Darroch has earned him a backlash today in our Press, and from political opponents in his OWN Party.

So, yes. I'm disgusted. Anti-Trumpism has reached such a pitch as to defy all reason.
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-10-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I realize that it is not in PM May's character but I think I have an "out of the box" solution to the Brexit problem. Why not proceed with the attitude that Brexit has already occurred? Pursue policies that are in the UK's interest whether or not they align with requirements of the EU. Ignore any penalties or requirements imposed by the EU (much like most EU nations do under the NATO Treaty) and go on with your life. What are they going to do, kick you out of the EU?

11. Thanks Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    I realize that it is not in PM May's character but I think I have an "out of the box" solution to the Brexit problem. Why not proceed with the attitude that Brexit has already occurred? Pursue policies that are in the UK's interest whether or not they align with requirements of the EU. Ignore any penalties or requirements imposed by the EU (much like most EU nations do under the NATO Treaty) and go on with your life. What are they going to do, kick you out of the EU?

The number of people who would support something like this is sadly not zero.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

The number of people who would support something like this is sadly not zero.
    ... and I can vouch for that. I'm one person who would !!

14. Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    I like that suggestion, a lot. If it could be done, I'd be delighted.

But I suspect that trying it would present us with enormous difficulties.

The EU would argue that we were a member defying both their rules and treaties, but, most probably, their laws, too. We'd be seen as a 'defaulter' Member of theirs.

My guess: at minimum, the'd raise crippling trading tariffs against us. As a recognised Member, they'd see us breaking EU immigration rules .. since no non-criminal EU member can be denied entry into any Member State's territory. There'd quickly be legal cases brought against us for failing to live up to Treaty obligations.

Perhaps Brits living in other EU nations' territories (there are always many thousands of them) would suddenly find themselves regarded and treated as 'non-citizens', deprived of basic rights, e.g employment, or, access to State benefits ?

There might well be outright bans imposed on trade with us.

Perhaps most worrying ... if we're seen, internationally, as a reneger against treaties we take exception to, who ELSE would trust us enough to enter into trade deals with them ? What if the EU boycotted trade with any other nation which tried to deal with us ?

Trade is continuous. Any implementation of resistance to EU treaty might see UK assets in the EU territories frozen. Any goods in transit might be impounded. Medical supplies ... will we be banned from receiving any of EU origin, putting lives at risk ?

No. I like the idea, but I'm sure the EU would kick back .. hard. They'd have to, because if they failed to, they just might encourage another EU Member State to one day follow suit. Deterrence against that ever happening would be the name of the game .... we'd have to be made an example of.
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-10-2019 at 05:50 PM.

16. Thanks FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Well Boris has set out his stall in black and white for the Northern Irish border, and surprise his unique soulution is...a sea boarder separating Northern Ireland and the rest of the U.K.

4481622B-FEB1-4B95-BDD0-15F11A661E2C.jpeg
    Last edited by Noir; 08-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

The government are expected to announce the suspension of parliament from the middle of September through to mid October, given the processes involved this will all but guarantee a ‘no-deal’ Brexit, Parliament will have less than 2 weeks leading up to the break to have any further input.

This announcement comes one day after 6 parties (the Liberal Democrat’s, Labour Party, Scottish National Party, Green Party, Plaid Cymru, and Change UK) agreed the ‘Church House Declaration’ to stop parliament being suspended. The declaration current has the signatures of over 200 MPs.

19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    The government are expected to announce the suspension of parliament from the middle of September through to mid October, given the processes involved this will all but guarantee a ‘no-deal’ Brexit, Parliament will have less than 2 weeks leading up to the break to have any further input.

This announcement comes one day after 6 parties (the Liberal Democrat’s, Labour Party, Scottish National Party, Green Party, Plaid Cymru, and Change UK) agreed the ‘Church House Declaration’ to stop parliament being suspended. The declaration current has the signatures of over 200 MPs.
    As you'll know by now, Boris has asked the Queen to suspend Parliament.

'Naturally', those who have contempt for the result of the 2016 Referendum result regard Boris's action as a 'democratic outrage' ... not caring to give a nanosecond's thought to the sheer hypocrisy implicit in their utterances.

The 2016 Referendum was clear. We get OUT of the EU. No ifs, buts, maybes, involved. Many in Parliament have worked to derail that process. They want Parliament to keep going, for its business to be uninterrupted, so that it can then give power to wreckers to continue their derailing efforts.

Boris considers himself answerable to a greater democracy, that of the WILL OF THE PEOPLE. It's because there are too many in the Commons who have proven their contempt for this, that Boris has now acted.

These are grim times, made that way by those having total contempt for the Peoples' wishes.

News just breaking ... I understand that the Queen has given her consent for the suspension of Parliament.

She could not reasonably do otherwise, I believe ... Parliament has seemingly forgotten why it even exists ... to REPRESENT THE PEOPLE.

21. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post