Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default Anti-Brexit scaremongering ....

Those opposing the UK's departure from the EU have been going overboard, recently, in dreaming up scare stories about how badly we'll fare once we leave the EU. Virtually everyday, now, in our media, we're getting 'doom & gloom' prophesies about it.

This one goes to show just how ridiculous and how ludicrously desperate these efforts are turning out to be. View with caution, if in a family environment ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...no-deal-brexit
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Did you read the document?

What are your thoughts on a no-deal Brexit?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Did you read the document?

What are your thoughts on a no-deal Brexit?
    I did read it, thanks. But, unless you're suggesting that we Brits are incapable of making up for any 'shortfall' ... I fail to understand ...

My thoughts on a no-deal Brexit are simple. A decent deal is to be preferred. However, I seriously doubt that the control-freaking EU, which has done its damndest throughout to make negotiations anything between very difficult and completely impossible, will allow a decent deal.

If we have to walk away minus a deal, then, we do. I'm totally sure that it's EU intransigence (I'm being diplomatic !) which will force that outcome on us. Not a great outcome, to be sure, but better than knuckling under to hostile control freaks, determined to rob us of our autonomy.

We will do what we must, as a proud and independent People, Noir.

5. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I did read it, thanks. But, unless you're suggesting that we Brits are incapable of making up for any 'shortfall' ... I fail to understand ...
    Im not talking about the sperm nonsense, that’s just the most clickbaitable part of the papers so ofcourse it leads the headlines - I’m talking about the likes of businesses being advised to hire customs brokers, or that value consignment relief will be cut?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Im not talking about the sperm nonsense, that’s just the most clickbaitable part of the papers so ofcourse it leads the headlines - I’m talking about the likes of businesses being advised to hire customs brokers, or that value consignment relief will be cut?
    Is it just individual members of the public who receive 'scare' stories, designed to sway them ? Why would it be ?

No - it adds to the basis for scaring people, if actual businesses can be persuaded to believe that they must see Brexit as a bad thing. Then they can add to the mix, can't they, and momentum is built.

So far as I'm concerned ... I do think that we'll go through a 'teething troubles' period, because quitting the EU will have major consequences. However, I think it all comes down to adjustment. Those who do lose their nerve, will lose out in the long run. Those who don't will know a better future.

See it this way, Noir. We might have had preferential trading terms with businesses across Europe, as EU members. We will lose those terms once we exit. BUT ... we'll still have a trading relationship, regardless.

This involves trade with just ONE THIRD of the planet's potential marketplace. Locked into the EU, we were actually prohibited from making free trade deals with the other two thirds !! Ah, but, LEAVE the EU, and the brakes come off. We know 'new' freedoms. We can start trading as WE like !!

As I see it, businesses can stay on the bandwagon, or stupidly fall off of it. But, that bandwagon will gain speed, will make progress, plenty of newcomers will join it (not least the US !!) ... and, frankly, in the fullness of time, we'll know much greater prosperity.

Be patient, Noir. Patience --- let it be your watchword. Eventually, with the exception of diehard 'Remoaners', it'll be smiles all round.
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-25-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Is it just individual members of the public who receive 'scare' stories, designed to sway them ? Why would it be ?
    These are government issued guidelines to U.K. businesses.
    Last edited by Noir; 08-26-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

These are government issued guidelines to U.K. businesses.
    ... in the event of the EU continuing with their stroppiness. Yes ?

A part of the 'let's scrap Brexit, or at least, have a second Referendum' momentum has to do with convincing people that continuing along our present path is just too problematic. Its message is to say 'We're better off in Europe. Continuing to quit it has far too many issues for us to continue as we are'.

In other words ... surrender to the will of a bully.

That, Noir, may be your choice. IT IS NOT MINE.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Is there any presentation of information you could conceive that would convince you that Brexit is a poor idea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Is there any presentation of information you could conceive that would convince you that Brexit is a poor idea?
    Doubtful, Noir. It's a classic case of prognostication versus reality.

I'm aware that various businesses, even a couple of 'think tanks', to say nothing of stories about how our Government is preparing for 'the worst' once we leave (especially in a no-deal scenario, of course) .. might all argue the 'Brexit = Armageddon' scenario. Doubtless there are many on the Left, yourself included (?) who've bought into all that.

To all of this, I'd say two things:

1. There was a time when we not only managed just fine without any propping-up from an entity the equivalent of the EU, but we even thrived on our own efforts, even to the extent of creating an Empire !! Noir, we're far from helpless. Teething troubles are to be expected, for a while. But, once we establish our new and expanded trading and business infrastructure, then thrive we will !!

2. Bear in mind that prognosticating is no substitute for reality. No matter how 'educated' the basis for it may be, nonetheless, something unforeseen may happen to render calculations and expectations worthless. We saw a major example in recent history .. the 2008 crash.

Who saw that crash coming ? What financial model foresaw its consequences in advance ?

See my point ? There's no telling what we have to come. Prognosticate your guts out ... even invoke, if you can, Office for National Statistics data (ONS) to help you ... the people who produce National Accounts data. It ultimately makes no difference. Reality, Noir, isn't known UNTIL IT HAPPENS.

You'll just have to wait for Brexit kicking in, then wait a while longer for the dust to settle, before you know for sure what our long-term future is. Probably it won't be known with certainty until the next decade is well underway.

Be patient. And, a tip: be optimistic....

================================================== =====================================

In the meantime ... who's in the mood for the latest, puerile (and ever-desperate), scare story ? Yep, another one .... get this ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45301966

Next year's Grand National could look very different if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the British Horseracing Authority warns.

Crashing out of the EU would potentially have a huge impact on Irish trainers and Irish horses.

And it could see the end of the Tripartite Agreement system which allows horses to be easily moved between the UK, France and Ireland.
    ['We're doomed. Doomed, I tell ye ...']

Scraping the bottom of the barrel, much ??
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-26-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

That’s fine - you’re in a position were you are happy to state that more or less nothing could convince you that Brexit is a poor idea. I don’t think that’s a great way to approach the topic. But you do you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Glad you appreciate my position, Noir.

REALITY .. nothing trumps it. Prognstications have limits ! It's too early for anyone to conclude that the UK won't thrive after Brexit, and as of now there's no reason at all to conclusively assume it. After all, none of the doom-mongers can possibly predict just how our future trading across the world will go !!

Noir, being a Leftie, you need people to question. You need presumptions you disagree with to be undermined. I understand that ! But in this case, you simply need to wait and see what unfolds, in due time.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Do you think it’s possible that the U.K. will struggle, and the effect of Brexit will be a net negative?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

To begin with, and as I've said, there will be teething troubles. This is only to be expected with a re-jigging of our very viability as a 'standalone' Nation State involved (.. something we were increasingly ceasing to be, as an EU member tied into EU diktats !).

In the longer term, that'll change. We'll settle in to the new order. And most importantly ... free of the EU, we'll be free to negotiate, in detail, our OWN trade deals, for OURSELVES. We are robbed of that freedom, at present.

I lack any reason at all to think that our efforts at this will fail !!! Perhaps if you can provide your own reasons, you'll do so ?

But considering that most of the world's potential trading partners will be accessible to us, in a way they currently FAIL to be, courtesy of control-freaking EU strictures ... why WOULD we be worse off ??

Reality, of course, has yet to kick in. Bear that in mind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

.... Aha. ANOTHER scare story ... seems that one per day is judged to be too few .. ?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...ed-Theresa-May

PRIME Minister Theresa May has been warned planes could be grounded across the UK if Britain leaves the EU without a one-off air deal as concerns grow about life after Brexit.

If Britain has to rely on World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules, UK air traffic control would not be given the rights it needs to operate.

This would mean Britain would need an overall agreement to ensure air traffic can function as normal, according to the Institute of Economic Affairs.

The majority of UK-based airlines would be stripped of their operating licenses for the 27 EU countries, if there was no agreement in place with the EU’s Single Aviation Market (SAM).

As some agreements had also been made through the EU, planes would also not be able to fly in airspace over these areas.

These countries include the United States, Canada and Switzerland.

Julian Jessop, the IEA’s chief economist, said: “If there are no alternative arrangements in place, it would be as bad as the worst fears suggest: planes would not be allowed out to fly.”

But the report did say the government would still have some opportunity to arrange a solution.
    Theresa May is in overall charge of our Brexit process .. on the UK side, of course.

But she was known to have a personal viewpoint which wanted us to remain within the EU ....

17. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

why WOULD we be worse off ??
    I am asking ‘could’ not ‘would’

I think we could be better off, or we could be worse off. Do you think we COULD be worse off after Brexit long term?