Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    The vote of no confidence hasn’t happened, because despite *everything* the 1922 committee haven’t received letters from 15% of the Tory MPs calling for a leadership election. So apparently as of right now 86%+ of Mays MP think she’s the best person to lead the party, and country. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It looks, now, as though the mandatory 48 letters minimum won't be reached. Still, there's no certainty about that. More letters may be sent. It's still an ongoing matter.

Besides, Noir, you surely can't be naive enough to imagine that any Conservative MP not sending one of those letters is unreservedly happy with Mrs May. Some will have lingering doubts. How do you know that pressure isn't being brought to bear, behind the scenes, to stem further revolts ?

Consider also the breakneck speed with which Mrs May is working to get Brexit 'done & dusted'. Leadership challenges take time to bring about. We've gone from 'will the 48 letters arrive ?', to an EU-ratified deal, to a public letter to all of us, pleading for popular support for the deal .. all this, happening within ONE SINGLE WEEK !!

Oh, Mrs May is worried, Noir. She knows the whole situation is a precarious one for her, here back in the UK. Everything points to her being acutely aware of that !
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-25-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default THOSE WHO HATE BREXIT need to understand this...

I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

3. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default Goodbye, drinking water ? Seriously ??

Wow.

Now that there's a fierce battle being waged for the 'hearts and minds' of anyone who'd oppose Theresa May's deal, this in the run-up to the all-important (hoped-for) ratification of the deal in the UK Parliament in 2 weeks ... 'Project Fear' has been re-animated with a vengeance. From Mark Carney, a warning from the Bank of England that our GDP would nosedive, making our economy contract, if we end up with no deal with the EU.

Ah, but now, we have even THIS ......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hZxkbhwai8Fyl8

Britain would run out of clean drinking water within days of a no-deal Brexit in a doomsday scenario that convinced Michael Gove to back Theresa May’s deal.

Whitehall disaster planners have warned Ministers that leaving the EU without a deal could spark a national crisis as crucial chemicals used in water purification are imported to the UK from Europe.

The deliveries risk getting caught in weeks of border chaos if Britain quits the EU next March without the Prime Minister’s deal with Brussels being approved by MPs.

The vital chemicals are timed to arrive ‘just in time’ and cannot be stockpiled as they are too volatile, meaning water plants would have to turn off the taps as soon as they ran out or risk poisoning millions.

Offices and schools would close and hospitals plunged into chaos.
    Everyone knows that we had no water fit to drink, before tying ourselves to Europe. Well ... don't they ??

This is 'Project Fear' sinking to a new low. There is literally NO depth the 'powers-that-be' won't sink to, to see to it that Mrs May's sellout deal succeeds.
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-28-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Tongue in cheek here....Sir Drummond, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Wow.

Now that there's a fierce battle being waged for the 'hearts and minds' of anyone who'd oppose Theresa May's deal, this in the run-up to the all-important (hoped-for) ratification of the deal in the UK Parliament in 2 weeks ... 'Project Fear' has been re-animated with a vengeance. From Mark Carney, a warning from the Bank of England that our GDP would nosedive, making our economy contract, if we end up with no deal with the EU.

Ah, but now, we have even THIS ......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hZxkbhwai8Fyl8

Everyone knows that we had no water fit to drink, before tying ourselves to Europe. Well ... don't they ??

This is 'Project Fear' sinking to a new low. There is literally NO depth the 'powers-that-be' won't sink to, to see to it that Mrs May's sellout deal succeeds.
    Did Mrs. May have a secret affair with Obama? No wonder Obama's other Half/male/female, Michelle always has such a scowl on her face! Sounds like Madam May attended the American, Democrat party DNC training school for convincing voters that Kool-aid from cesspool's can be used to appease Anti-Brexit idiots.
    By the way. Why doesn't May seek out the U.S.A. for the chemicals needed for purification?
    Just wondering?
    So, this is for them.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Did Mrs. May have a secret affair with Obama? No wonder Obama's other Half/male/female, Michelle always has such a scowl on her face! Sounds like Madam May attended the American, Democrat party DNC training school for convincing voters that Kool-aid from cesspool's can be used to appease Anti-Brexit idiots.

By the way. Why doesn't May seek out the U.S.A. for the chemicals needed for purification?
    Just wondering?
    Interesting point.

... Well. Since we're discussing the outcome of a 'no deal' Brexit, in that scenario, nothing would prevent her doing exactly that. She DOES have four months to make arrangements ... and significantly longer if in fact the chemicals needed could be stockpiled (.. or ARE being, even now).

It's not as though a 'no deal' Brexit kills off trade with the EU in any case. We'd still trade with the EU, still buy what we needed, just on terms not quite as 'cozy' as they were when we were a member of their trading club. What we'd be doing, at minimum, was arranging a stopgap between our need for them, and the end of a temporary delay of supply at the EU end of things.

Of course, we might just decide that the EU had become too unreliable to trade with ... in which case, it's the EU's loss, and the US's gain.

'Project Fear' will, of course, reflect none of this.
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-28-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Thank you Sir Drummond.

Interesting point.

... Well. Since we're discussing the outcome of a 'no deal' Brexit, in that scenario, nothing would prevent her doing exactly that. She DOES have four months to make arrangements ... and significantly longer if in fact the chemicals needed could be stockpiled (.. or ARE being, even now).

It's not as though a 'no deal' Brexit kills off trade with the EU in any case. We'd still trade with the EU, still buy what we needed, just on terms not quite as 'cozy' as they were when we were a member of their trading club. What we'd be doing, at minimum, was arranging a stopgap between our need for them, and the end of a temporary delay of supply at the EU end of things.

Of course, we might just decide that the EU had become too unreliable to trade with ... in which case, it's the EU's loss, and the US's gain.

'Project Fear' will, of course, reflect none of this.
    I worry that the U.K. will become the victim of the EU in all kinds of trade. What laws are in place to prevent the EU from overcharging for all goods, oil, medicine, food, water chem's if they become the EXTORTIONISTS they appear to be???
    Our president know's all about how the EU operates, and he can help the U.K. and Madam May to overcome all of the threats of extortion from the EU in an instant.

Somebody only needs to ask since....AS I RECALL. Great Britain and Israel are TWO of our greatest ALLIES. And we NEVER let our Allies fend for themselves. Unless Obama is in office.
    So, this is for them.

9. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    I worry that the U.K. will become the victim of the EU in all kinds of trade. What laws are in place to prevent the EU from overcharging for all goods, oil, medicine, food, water chem's if they become the EXTORTIONISTS they appear to be???
    Our president know's all about how the EU operates, and he can help the U.K. and Madam May to overcome all of the threats of extortion from the EU in an instant.

Somebody only needs to ask since....AS I RECALL. Great Britain and Israel are TWO of our greatest ALLIES. And we NEVER let our Allies fend for themselves. Unless Obama is in office.
    I appreciate your sentiment very much. Thank you, Aboutime.

You make an excellent case. Nothing prevents EU-based companies from charging what they like, if previous rules allowing us preferential treatment no longer apply. The only answer would be for us to seek out an alternative source of what we need.

The only 'wriggle room' we'd have is to say to one company, 'We have a better deal open to us from a competitor of yours. Which would mean nothing, if companies decided between them to single us out for extortionate prices, perhaps agreeing between themselves to do so.

This is why your suggestion of going to the US is an ideal answer, assuming of course that they'd assist us in a trade (as I'm sure they would) which was far fairer.

11. Thanks LongTermGuy, aboutime thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Anti-Brexit scaremongering ....

Would you look at that, pure scandal!
    Can’t wait till we’re rid out the EU and £1.40 can be rightly split among the 14 categories above it!

(Not my tax figures, a friends.)
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Would you look at that, pure scandal!
    Can’t wait till we’re rid out the EU and £1.40 can be rightly split among the 14 categories above it!

(Not my tax figures, a friends.)
    Indeed, Noir - I sympathise.

Multiply that by the MILLIONS paying that tax .. and, for what ? To be dictated to by a foreign power (or in fact, a couple of dozen of them ?).

Try thinking about any potential pooling of all that tax revenue, into other worthwhile causes. Maybe a couple of hospitals could be built, that wouldn't exist otherwise ?

I'm sure there are various worthwhile schemes, or causes, that'd be grateful for the financial assistance such additional revenue would give them. Who are you to want to begrudge them that money .. for the 'pleasure', instead, of paying extra into MEP's already hefty salaries ?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Try thinking about any potential pooling of all that tax revenue, into other worthwhile causes. Maybe a couple of hospitals could be built, that wouldn't exist otherwise ?
    Why yes! Just think my friend could of added an extra £1.40 to the £685 spent on welfare, and an extra £1.40 to the £573 spent on health, and an extra £1.40 to the £369 spent on state pensions etc etc!

All all we would have to give up for that £1.40 in each category over the year is access to the single market, a voice in the European Parliament, and any funding that we receive back in kind. What a bargain!
    Last edited by Noir; 12-08-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Also I’m sure you’re aware we don’t actually use tax revenue to build hospitals, instead we loan out the costs as PFIs that we can then pay interest on (though the debt itself is not on state books) to private companies who make a fortune of the projects while the hospitals themselves are left penniless.

Sadly Europe isn’t the blame for that one - successive U.K. governments are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Also I’m sure you’re aware we don’t actually use tax revenue to build hospitals, instead we loan out the costs as PFIs that we can then pay interest on (though the debt itself is not on state books) to private companies who make a fortune of the projects while the hospitals themselves are left penniless.

Sadly Europe isn’t the blame for that one - successive U.K. governments are.
    Yes, well, I'm sure you'd rather not blame the EU for anything, and the UK for everything, eh ?

No matter. Once we're rid of our EU shackles, you'll be thrilled at how well we manage our OWN affairs, as WE choose, instead of having them dictated to us ....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Yes, well, I'm sure you'd rather not blame the EU for anything, and the UK for everything, eh ?

No matter. Once we're rid of our EU shackles, you'll be thrilled at how well we manage our OWN affairs, as WE choose, instead of having them dictated to us ....
    I’ll happily blame the U.K. government for their faults - and of course the EU for theirs. As you brought up hospitals I thought it only reasonable to bring up the problematic way in which we have funded them, which was not by the way you suggested.

I see May is striding from defeat to defeat, with about as much charisma as a lead pipe - yet is still the unchallenged leader of the conservative party, amazing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I’ll happily blame the U.K. government for their faults - and of course the EU for theirs. As you brought up hospitals I thought it only reasonable to bring up the problematic way in which we have funded them, which was not by the way you suggested.

I see May is striding from defeat to defeat, with about as much charisma as a lead pipe - yet is still the unchallenged leader of the conservative party, amazing.
    Oh, I think she'll be challenged, but when she's at her weakest, when the need for that challenge is beyond reasonable dispute. You see, the Conservatives prefer not to compound difficult situations with un-needed chaotic complications. Better to wait for better times. As in, soon ... no doubt.

... but, I'm intrigued ....

... You'll happily blame the EU for their faults ?? Really ??!? Now, Noir, this I really MUST put to the test !! So, a challenge of my own ... reply to this with a post that lists the EU's various faults !!

Go on ... DO IT. Don't duck this.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Oh, I think she'll be challenged, but when she's at her weakest, when the need for that challenge is beyond reasonable dispute. You see, the Conservatives prefer not to compound difficult situations with un-needed chaotic complications. Better to wait for better times. As in, soon ... no doubt.
    “Better to wait for better times”
    I could not adequately describe how hearty a chuckle that like drew out of me, pure gold.

... but, I'm intrigued ....

... You'll happily blame the EU for their faults ?? Really ??!? Now, Noir, this I really MUST put to the test !! So, a challenge of my own ... reply to this with a post that lists the EU's various faults !!

Go on ... DO IT. Don't duck this.
    Sure - Too bureaucratic, not transparent in policy or process, poor implementation of international court rulings, unnecessary formation of executive, poor responses to financial crisis, very slow to modernise law in the digital space (ie net neutrality, Patents etc), poor protections and representation for smaller countries...the list goes on, and on.