Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Does Anyone Here Have a Cookware Preference?

I think I've tried just about everything there is out there short of the ridiculously high priced stuff, but I have this 10/11" Oxo frying pan with a lid and I liked it. I'm doing dishes just now and notice that in a bunch of places the non stick is starting flake off and the damn thing isn't that old, and I have never, ever had anything in it that would have nicked it, and I don't stack anything on it and I wash it alone. Needless to say I don't want to buy another Oxo. Also have a Calphalon large skillet and it isn't bad, love my Calphalon stainless steel fry pan and all my cast iron, but I like to have a couple good non stick so I'm wondering what others here use and what their experiences have been.

I have several sauce pans / pots that are Paula Dean non stick, and those have worn like iron. I'd recommend those to anyone. I was really pissed when walfuck decided to stop selling Paula Dean cookware. I've cut back my shopping at walmart since then. I buy everything I possibly can locally before I make a trip to walmart to buy anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I really like All-Clad cookware. It is expensive, only get a piece that I want when it's on sale. I don't use non-stick finishes.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Bilgerat, Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I really like All-Clad cookware. It is expensive, only get a piece that I want when it's on sale. I don't use non-stick finishes.
    Ah yes, All-Clad, pricey but great stuff. I thought my stainless steel was Calphalon but it's T-Fal. Great pan, I love it. Made out of 18/10 stainless steel, as good as you can get.

I might try the All-Clad non stick though. Like this 3 pan set on Amazon, gets fantastic reviews and that's hard to do. Seems people will nit pick anything but these get great reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-HA1-...ustomerReviews

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I’ve had T-Fal non stick for over a decade. No issues.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have some T-fal which is good.

But I also have a full set of Revere Wear Pots and Pans that is stainless
    with copper bottoms. The copper bottoms cut down on cooking time, it seems.

Beware of some of those cheaper teflon-lined skillets. I found if you use cooking spray
    on them, it will cause the teflon coating to loosen and peel.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I have some T-fal which is good.

But I also have a full set of Revere Wear Pots and Pans that is stainless
    with copper bottoms. The copper bottoms cut down on cooking time, it seems.

Beware of some of those cheaper teflon-lined skillets. I found if you use cooking spray
    on them, it will cause the teflon coating to loosen and peel.
    Yeah I remember when non stick first came out, everything was teflon. The non stick got better over time and I think they use a lot of different stuff now. I wouldn't buy the ceramic coated non stick because they get pathetic reviews. People say they're great the first couple times you use them and then something happens and everything sticks, horrible.

Never heard of this brand... gets pretty dang good reviews... might be a worth a try...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ16...EAAAAAAAAAAN9B

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah I remember when non stick first came out, everything was teflon. The non stick got better over time and I think they use a lot of different stuff now. I wouldn't buy the ceramic coated non stick because they get pathetic reviews. People say they're great the first couple times you use them and then something happens and everything sticks, horrible.

Never heard of this brand... gets pretty dang good reviews... might be a worth a try...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ16...EAAAAAAAAAAN9B
    I have one small pan by that brand. Also seems fine, but I’ve only had it less than a year, and don’t use it that much.

-Abbey

11. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I’ve had T-Fal non stick for over a decade. No issues.
    That's the brand I usually go for. Not top of the line nor bottom of the line cheap crap. I've had no issues except the first one I had I scratched up cooking my eggs with a fork. But then, I just told you WHO the problem was there
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Thanks Abbey Marie, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

You can all thank me another time! Now my wife likes all that expensive fancy schmancy non-stick pans and an iron skillet thingy and all that - coming from the guy who is in charge of doing the dishes...

Some great stuff right here, and at a very reasonable cost, and just so much easier to clean.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    You can all thank me another time! Now my wife likes all that expensive fancy schmancy non-stick pans and an iron skillet thingy and all that - coming from the guy who is in charge of doing the dishes...

Some great stuff right here, and at a very reasonable cost, and just so much easier to clean.

Yep paper plates. Greatest invention EVER. I didn't mention since it wasn't there yet but I eat like a jarhead. If I'm cooking for me? I'll eat right out of the pan or pot so I don't have to wash a freakin' plate. We didn't have dishes in the field. Canteen cup, (steel pot back in the day) fork, knife and a John Wayne.

And yes, I WILL eat straight out of the can if I REALLY don't want to do dishes
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yep paper plates. Greatest invention EVER. I didn't mention since it wasn't there yet but I eat like a jarhead. If I'm cooking for me? I'll eat right out of the pan or pot so I don't have to wash a freakin' plate. We didn't have dishes in the field. Canteen cup, (steel pot back in the day) fork, knife and a John Wayne.

Meat to grill. Grill to paper plate. Meat into fat face. Done!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

18. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Meat to grill. Grill to paper plate. Meat into fat face. Done!
    I used to grill all the time. SILs grill. If one thing goes wrong with that thing I'd never hear the end of it.

I keep meaning to get a little one-two person grill like they used to make Hibachi's (haven't seen one of those in years). And did I tell you about the quickie, jarhead BBQ grill?

6 rocks/bricks/ one confiscated oven or contrived rack, shovel, box of matches, mogas and "liberated" meat (and yes, I DO know how to light the gas without blowing my face off)

20. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Gotta love guys. My BIL told me that when he was a bachelor, he was too lazy to ever empty the dishwasher. So he’d put his dirty plate and silverware into the full-of-clean-dishes dishwasher after dinner every night, and just rerun the already 98% clean dishes over and over.

-Abbey

22. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Gotta love guys. My BIL told me that when he was a bachelor, he was too lazy to ever empty the dishwasher. So he’d put his dirty plate and silverware into the full-of-clean-dishes dishwasher after dinner every night, and just rerun the already 98% clean dishes over and over.
    That's funny I wash dishes. THAT is why I love paper plates I wash by hand. I don't like nor trust dishwashers. It was just me and Ash, then me and Susan for so long we didn't have enough dishes to go round for just 2 people to fill a dishwasher. I would NEVER let dirty dishes sit that long.

Now I should use the dishwasher but that "old man" thing keeps biting me in the butt

24. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

Yup, paper plates all the way. Been using them for decades. I do splurge for the more rigid ones though. I usually use the same glass over and over too, just rinse it out when I'm done with it. The only thing I go through like crazy is my pots and pans and silverware. I do like to cook, and I've trying to pare down recipes so I'm only cooking for one, unless I want the leftovers.

Watching some vids and it looks like Kathianne with her All-Clad is the winner. I just might try and ween myself off non stick all together. I have known that All-Clad is high quality stuff but it's been the price that's held me back, but if a pan lasts virtually forever, then it's actually worth the money, and cheaper in the long run. I do occasionally cook something that I want to finish in the oven, so it's good to have an all metal pan. Some say you can put these pans with the plastic kind of handles in the oven but I just don't trust that.

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 08:28 PM.

26. Thanks Gunny thanked this post