Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Well, I Went And Done It, Gunny...

It's been so hot and humid here that yes, I've been a little inactive. Just too damn hot to do anything hard labor outside, so yesterday when I woke up, I was feeling a little on the lard ass side so I stepped on the scale. Haven't been on it for a couple months, but I about fell over. I was heavier than I've ever been in my LIFE... 219.6. Ain't gonna have it. I freaked out. So today, after sleeping on it I figured why wait, I ordered a new universal gym from Amazon. Got 24 months interest free to pay it off on my Amazon store card so it'll be pretty painless, but I'm excited now. Going to move the dining room table, that I never use, out of the back room here in the house and put it right here under my nose. I'll be on that thing EVERY, DAY.

This is the one I ordered. I had a model under this one saved in my Amazon list. This one was more but has the two side cables for flies and what not, I like that. I figured it was worth the little extra so I got this one... and it gets great reviews from people too... can't wait to get on it. My old Golds universal gym had a leg press but I hardly ever used it. Just do squats... whatever...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Gunny
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 06:01 PM.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

~ "Haven't been on it for a couple months, but I about fell over. I was heavier than I've ever been in my LIFE... 219.6." ~

Nice machine...quick question >> (if you dont mind) How tall are you?....( Maybe I missed it...but I didnt see it)

Im 6`4 234lbs...some info I read says I should be at 219-223...but I have a large frame and feel good at 234 with no belly...(I feel tight)

Work out a daily (mostly using light weights (NO HEAVY)) punching and rotation....stretching (for speed and agility)...sit-up`s and large roller Ball I use to stretch and crack my back....I try to eat good healthy food...I do splurge at times but work it off...

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    ~ "Haven't been on it for a couple months, but I about fell over. I was heavier than I've ever been in my LIFE... 219.6." ~

Nice machine...quick question >> (if you dont mind) How tall are you?....( Maybe I missed it...but I didnt see it)

Im 6`4 234lbs...some info I read says I should be at 219-223...but I have a large frame and feel good at 234 with no belly...(I feel tight)

Work out a daily (mostly using light weights (NO HEAVY)) punching and rotation....stretching (for speed and agility)...sit-up`s and large roller Ball I use to stretch and crack my back....I try to eat good healthy food...I do splurge at times but work it off...

Used to be a solid 6' 2", but lately when I step on the scale with the height deal on it at the VA seems like I'm shrinking. They put me at 6' 1". Whatever, I'm 63, I guess we all get shorter over time, but I FEEL good, I'm just packing on extra weight that I do NOT need, and I ain't gonna have it. I'm fasting today, and tomorrow, the pop is gone, the ice cream is gone, the fudge cicles are gone, etc. Time to get back on the water and start working out. I've enjoyed working out/pumping iron, ever since Nellis AFB, early 1980. I really got into it there and packed on some bulk. Before that I was a tall, skinny drink of water. But it ain't time to give up now. My health is good, I feel good, and I need to get back to working out on a good gym. I just work around the atrophy in my right arm and such. I regret having to sell my Golds gym but I really needed the room in my shop, it was huge. This new gym is a pretty compact unit, and it has about everything anyone would want. Dang I'm excited to get it now.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 04:46 PM.

6. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Though I have played the "how much do you weigh?" game as much as anyone, bodyweight doesn't really matter. COMPOSITION of bodyweight IS what matters. Age is a BIG factor. For most people, as you age the body becomes more dense. Same size but heavier. It's REALLY hard to bite that one because we're programmed otherwise by society. I can say this: I was a LOT bigger and stronger at 24 and 175 lbs than I was at 50 and 205.
    @High_Plains_Drifter I am not familiar with the brand. Looks like it has all the bells and whistles. In a way, I wish on certain days I could work out inside. Like today when it was 98 in the garage. Or when I lived in IL and it was 0 in the garage But I got this notion it makes me tougher to just suck it up and deal (since I have no choice to begin with). Gets me outside too. Rolling out of bed and setting up the weights in the living room back in the day DID have its perks. A LOT less different apparel ensembles for one. I have stuff for rain, cold, severe cold, heat, severe heat. In the house it was shorts and a T

As long as you do something I'm sure it'll help.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Though I have played the "how much do you weigh?" game as much as anyone, bodyweight doesn't really matter. COMPOSITION of bodyweight IS what matters. Age is a BIG factor. For most people, as you age the body becomes more dense. Same size but heavier. It's REALLY hard to bite that one because we're programmed otherwise by society. I can say this: I was a LOT bigger and stronger at 24 and 175 lbs than I was at 50 and 205.
    @High_Plains_Drifter I am not familiar with the brand. Looks like it has all the bells and whistles. In a way, I wish on certain days I could work out inside. Like today when it was 98 in the garage. Or when I lived in IL and it was 0 in the garage But I got this notion it makes me tougher to just suck it up and deal (since I have no choice to begin with). Gets me outside too. Rolling out of bed and setting up the weights in the living room back in the day DID have its perks. A LOT less different apparel ensembles for one. I have stuff for rain, cold, severe cold, heat, severe heat. In the house it was shorts and a T

I did not know that about body weight... interesting. I didn't really notice the ole pants getting all that much tighter and I didn't have to let the belt out a notch, but just the GUT... my God it's always the GUT. Seems like if I gain any and all weight right there, period. Course that could be a lot just my imagination but, gonna work on that too. Sit Ups are going to be included in daily workouts from now on.

Yeah at this point in my life, I'm not so much interested in putting on bulk as I am just getting in shape. I don't think at this point in life you can put on bulk real easy anyway, IDK, I just want to start out doing high reps, low weight, to build up the stamina, and then after I'm feeling stronger maybe do a little high weight, low reps, to maybe put on some size. I'll see, but I'm just chomping at the bit now to get that thing. Been probably 6 years now since I sold the Golds gym and I've really missed that thing. Many a day has gone by that I wished I still had it.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 06:03 PM.

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That looks like a good rig, HPD! A lot of purists poo-poo them, but they are very
    safe if you work out alone.

In fact, when I was teaching remedial conditioning to officer candidate and recruit
    Personal Fitness failures, I would start them off on Universal.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

12. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I did not know that about body weight... interesting. I didn't really notice the ole pants getting all that much tighter and I didn't have to let the belt out a notch, but just the GUT... my God it's always the GUT. Seems like I gain any and all weight right there, period. Course that could be a lot just my imagination but, gonna work on that too. Sit Ups are going to be included in daily workouts from now on.

Yeah at this point in my life, I'm not so much interested in putting on bulk as I am just getting in shape. I don't think at this point in life you can put on bulk real easy anyway, IDK, I just want to start out doing high reps, low weight, to build up the stamina, and then after I'm feeling stronger maybe do a little high weight, low reps, to maybe put on some size. I'll see, but I'm just chomping at the bit now to get that thing. Been probably 6 years now since I sold the Golds gym and I've really missed that thing. Many a day has gone by that I wished I still had it.
    Yeah I don't think there's much as far as a part of your body you couldn't work out on that. I'm stoked... can't wait to get it.

I'll post pics when it comes and I get it assembled.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Weight and size is used and measured with charts along with "build size" It is no game...it is what it is....as one gets older bone density diminishes...(but it can be slowed down)...By doing something about it...working out and eating well and right....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I did not know that about body weight... interesting. I didn't really notice the ole pants getting all that much tighter and I didn't have to let the belt out a notch, but just the GUT... my God it's always the GUT. Seems like I gain any and all weight right there, period. Course that could be a lot just my imagination but, gonna work on that too. Sit Ups are going to be included in daily workouts from now on.

Sexist of me, I know, but ... the men put weight on their guts and the ladies on their butts. The feminists haven't figured out a way to reverse it or claim discrimination yet

I used to get pissed in the Marines because it was ALWAYS (until the very end) height vs weight measurement. And my minimum weight for my height was less than my bones alone weigh

I forgot where I read the thing about the density, but it has been over years and more than once (different sources). In hindsight, it appears to be true. In my case anyway, and in general according to the sources. I weigh 185 now and am as big as I was when I was at 205. And I can't lift as much total wise, but I can lift more volume-wise.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Dang, Tom, nice rig you're getting! Are you a millionaire bro?

Truly nice tho, I hope it gets a ton of good use! When I had one a long time back, one of those "Bowflex" thingies, it didn't take long before those long and huge rubbery bars - and the entire thing converted into a clothing holder on the bench, and a coat/sweatshirt holder on the bows.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Dang, Tom, nice rig you're getting! Are you a millionaire bro?

Truly nice tho, I hope it gets a ton of good use! When I had one a long time back, one of those "Bowflex" thingies, it didn't take long before those long and huge rubbery bars - and the entire thing converted into a clothing holder on the bench, and a coat/sweatshirt holder on the bows.
    Seen THAT before

20. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Seen THAT before
    Seriously though, I used the damn thing like 2x, and paid like $2,000 for it on some ripoff plan they nicked me for.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

22. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Seriously though, I used the damn thing like 2x, and paid like $2,000 for it on some ripoff plan they nicked me for.
    Both my wives were fitness gimmick freaks. Had to have the latest, greatest. Got used once or twice then if I was lucky it folded under the bed. If not, coat rack

Didn't do me much good. I don't use machines.

24. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Sexist of me, I know, but ... the men put weight on their guts and the ladies on their butts. The feminists haven't figured out a way to reverse it or claim discrimination yet

I used to get pissed in the Marines because it was ALWAYS (until the very end) height vs weight measurement. And my minimum weight for my height was less than my bones alone weigh

I forgot where I read the thing about the density, but it has been over years and more than once (different sources). In hindsight, it appears to be true. In my case anyway, and in general according to the sources. I weigh 185 now and am as big as I was when I was at 205. And I can't lift as much total wise, but I can lift more volume-wise.
    I'd KILL to be down to that right now, and ultimately that would be about where I should be. I was at around 195 for years and years. Wouldn't go up or down. Then I moved back to Wisconsin and holy shit, I LOOK at food and I gain weight. I need a total reset. I need to do protein shakes instead of chips and dip and a salad instead of a nutty bar and on and on, and I need to get on that gym and get the ole metabolism fired back up.

@jimnyc... I WISH I was a millionaire, pard... My living expenses aren't squat here in Wisconsin, so I have just enough money to get in trouble...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Both my wives were fitness gimmick freaks. Had to have the latest, greatest. Got used once or twice then if I was lucky it folded under the bed. If not, coat rack

Didn't do me much good. I don't use machines.
    I talked my wife and her friend into a fitness membership at a local gym in Tampa. I never went to the gym with them when they went, but I found out they'd hit the gym, do God knows what, probably sit on the ass and watch other people work out, and then hit McDonalds when they left. A total waste of money.

Had a girlfriend after I divorced the wife in Tampa that begged me to go to the base gym with me. When I found out I could take her, she and I always went together. Needless to say, she was hot when I met, and she just got hotter. I took this picture of her at Clearwater Beach...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-25-2018 at 06:14 PM.