Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Here's another one. Try doing your entire routine with dumbbells instead of barbells. You got weights going everywhere, one in each hand in different directions and if you have a flaw/one side compensates for the other with the bar, the dumbbells will tell you REAL quick. It's an excellent way to try and "even" your body but it too is an ego killer. Especially in heavy pressing movements.

Then you have kettlebells. They're even wilder because the weight swivels in your grip.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Here's another one. Try doing your entire routine with dumbbells instead of barbells. You got weights going everywhere, one in each hand in different directions and if you have a flaw/one side compensates for the other with the bar, the dumbbells will tell you REAL quick. It's an excellent way to try and "even" your body but it too is an ego killer. Especially in heavy pressing movements.

Then you have kettlebells. They're even wilder because the weight swivels in your grip.
    Been looking at barbells. I used to have a nice set, lost it somewhere after moving a dozen times. I might pick up another set. I know there's a lot of exercises you do with them, and them being free weights would be good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah there's no way I'm going to be able to get as much good out of free weights as a universal gym, for one, because of the near total atrophy in my right triceps, and two, even when I use the front, bottom cable on the gym and do curls, I can feel a little catch in my back sometimes if I'm not consciously flexing my core to stand straight. The other thing about a gym for me was the ability to virtually get a total body workout on one machine.

And it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm not going to pack on a lot of bulk, although I will put some on, I just enjoy the workouts, it feels great and it's healthy.

Going to get a workout today shoveling SNOW... holy cow we got it good yesterday, and it's COLD.
    Been looking at barbells. I used to have a nice set, lost it somewhere after moving a dozen times. I might pick up another set. I know there's a lot of exercises you do with them, and them being free weights would be good.
    I went with the barbells to force my injured shoulder to keep up. I use dumbbells to isolate it and work it alone to build its strength up. Doubt it'll ever catch up, but if I focus on just rehabbing the injury I see a LOT of spinning my wheels. I literally started with 5 lbs and have worked my way up. The overload from the barbell weight has forced it to come along.

Gives me something to bitch about and blame

I lift how I always have. At least since about 81. I used machines before that because that's mostly what was available to me. I don't knock them. And on a day like you described today being, I'd be sitting INSIDE at my weights watching it snow OUTSIDE . Regardless the weather, I'm in the garage. It was bad when I lived in IL. I would have on long johns, sweats, clothes, heavy ass gloves, hat, snow boots and STILL have to run inside about every 20 minutes and thaw my hands. I was so bulked up it's a wonder I could move to lift

It's still cold here insofar as that steel bar goes. I wear gloves between sets. But generally get away with just sweats and a hoodie.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I went with the barbells to force my injured shoulder to keep up. I use dumbbells to isolate it and work it alone to build its strength up. Doubt it'll ever catch up, but if I focus on just rehabbing the injury I see a LOT of spinning my wheels. I literally started with 5 lbs and have worked my way up. The overload from the barbell weight has forced it to come along.

Gives me something to bitch about and blame

I lift how I always have. At least since about 81. I used machines before that because that's mostly what was available to me. I don't knock them. And on a day like you described today being, I'd be sitting INSIDE at my weights watching it snow OUTSIDE . Regardless the weather, I'm in the garage. It was bad when I lived in IL. I would have on long johns, sweats, clothes, heavy ass gloves, hat, snow boots and STILL have to run inside about every 20 minutes and thaw my hands. I was so bulked up it's a wonder I could move to lift

It's still cold here insofar as that steel bar goes. I wear gloves between sets. But generally get away with just sweats and a hoodie.
    That's why I put the gym in the house. There's some days I don't come out to the shop, and if it was out here and if I had to shovel snow, turn up the heat and all that just to work out, if I'm feeling lazy I won't, but when it's right in the house just a couple feet from me, I don't have an excuse not to workout. I still have to make myself START sometimes, but once I'm into it I'm gung-ho. Other days I can't wait to get to it.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I was 206 even, so I've officially lost 15 pounds. Slow but sure. Was wearing 38's," but I have on my 36" waist jeans and they're not even tight. Maybe I'll even have to go buy some 34" because I plan on losing another 15 at least. Six pounds to go to 200, and I haven't weighed under that for a good 10 years. I'll be makin' history...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-19-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@Gunny... I remember somewhere in this thread you said that you'd even lift sometimes after downing a bottle of Jack, that you "had issues,"...

I'll tell ya brother, as much as I've been hitting it, I HAVE even came in from the shop a time of two after having a couple, and I'll have to tell ya, it just doesn't work for me. You gotta be an animal...

IDK... the strength ain't there, the energy ain't there, seems like I'll hurt my damn self if I pushed it.

I will tell you this though, bro, I'm on my second bottle of Prime Labs testosterone boosters, and I swear they are helping. I was ripping some curls the other day and FINALLY the next day my biceps were a little sore, whereas before it never seemed like how hard I pushed the bis, they never got sore. Same with the lats, but they were a little sore too. So the pills might be helping build bulk, and that is the idea.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

@Gunny... I remember somewhere in this thread you said that you'd even lift sometimes after downing a bottle of Jack, that you "had issues,"...

I'll tell ya brother, as much as I've been hitting it, I HAVE even came in from the shop a time of two after having a couple, and I'll have to tell ya, it just doesn't work for me. You gotta be an animal...

IDK... the strength ain't there, the energy ain't there, seems like I'll hurt my damn self if I pushed it.

I will tell you this though, bro, I'm on my second bottle of Prime Labs testosterone boosters, and I swear they are helping. I was ripping some curls the other day and FINALLY the next day my biceps were a little sore, whereas before it never seemed like how hard I pushed the bis, they never got sore. Same with the lats, but they were a little sore too. So the pills might be helping build bulk, and that is the idea.
    @High_Plains_Drifter I've been looking for this thread because I remember you responded in it. Leave it to you to put it in Science and Health

I wouldn't recommend drinking and lifting to anyone. I was certainly setting no personal records at the time. I definitely wasn't lifting near my max. Thing is, I had to limit my lifting so I had "A workout". It was a Jack of All Trades, Master of none workout. In the early 80s I got too big for my uniforms. Twice. Expensive. Then I went on independent duty where I had to where charlies every day so my uniform had to fit every day. Plus, I had to be able to run 3 miles in 28 or less (28 is minimum to graze in with a pass). Then there's the time itself to work out.

My workout for years was tailored to fit me in my uniforms. When I retired, it was more about the time because suddenly I wasn't working out on the Corps' dime, and I was getting a Hell of a workout just being an electrician.

SO ... I could go through the motions, drinking or not. The difference between then and now is I have to actually concentrate and apply effort now.

Something else you've mentioned a couple of times I've really not commented on. I don't have an ab workout. I do different crap whenever the mood strikes for my abs. The abdominal wall is a muscle. It grows just like an other muscle with exercise. I used to do 400 situps every day before work (way back when) and wonder why I wasn't getting abs like Rambo (First Blood was new back then and suddenly put the demand on all of us to sport six packs).

Mostly, I'll do hanging leg raises from my pullup bar and it keeps my abs strong, which is my primary goal in working them.
    Last edited by Gunny; 04-20-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@High_Plains_Drifter I've been looking for this thread because I remember you responded in it. Leave it to you to put it in Science and Health

I wouldn't recommend drinking and lifting to anyone. I was certainly setting no personal records at the time. I definitely wasn't lifting near my max. Thing is, I had to limit my lifting so I had "A workout". It was a Jack of All Trades, Master of none workout. In the early 80s I got too big for my uniforms. Twice. Expensive. Then I went on independent duty where I had to where charlies every day so my uniform had to fit every day. Plus, I had to be able to run 3 miles in 28 or less (28 is minimum to graze in with a pass). Then there's the time itself to work out.

My workout for years was tailored to fit me in my uniforms. When I retired, it was more about the time because suddenly I wasn't working out on the Corps' dime, and I was getting a Hell of a workout just being an electrician.

SO ... I could go through the motions, drinking or not. The difference between then and now is I have to actually concentrate and apply effort now.

Something else you've mentioned a couple of times I've really not commented on. I don't have an ab workout. I do different crap whenever the mood strikes for my abs. The abdominal wall is a muscle. It grows just like an other muscle with exercise. I used to do 400 situps every day before work (way back when) and wonder why I wasn't getting abs like Rambo (First Blood was new back then and suddenly put the demand on all of us to sport six packs).

Mostly, I'll do hanging leg raises from my pullup bar and it keeps my abs strong, which is my primary goal in working them.
    Well hey... ain't workin' out about HEALTH? ...

For the past month or so I've kinda slowed to working out every other day, sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row, and I've gained a lot of strength. I notice the benefits of lifting a lot with things I do, like running my chain saw. Last year before the gym I noticed that it felt heavier than usual, but when I recently got it out to start getting rid of an old pile of wood from trees cut down, it felt a hellova lot lighter. I enjoy more reps with less weight usually, like three sets of 20 for each exercise. My problem is the damn right triceps. I do believe I've made the tiny little bit that works, a LITTLE bit stronger, but I haven't woken up anything significant. I think those nerves and muscles are just dead for the rest of my life, and that does hold me back. I'd like to do some benches with some heavy weight, but that just isn't happening. I have to settle for doing lots of reps with less weight.

I haven't paid much attention to abs work outs. I notice that I'm usually always flexing my core all the time doing other stuff anyway. But for the most part, I have been sticking with it. I do enjoy it. Kinda turns into a habit. I knew if I put the gym in the house right under my nose, I'd use it. This Fall will be a year since I bought it. I think there's a big difference is my build already. Not so much bulk, some, but getting good definition. It'll be interesting so see the difference a year has made. I bet if I was 30 years younger and hadn't crushed nerves in my neck, I'd have packed on quite a bit of bulk already. But I'll tell ya something else, I notice that I'm in a hellova lot better shape than most guys I know my age, and in a lot better shape than a hellova lot of young people I see. So many FAT people, lard asses, just look like a friggin' bowl of jello.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-21-2019 at 06:25 AM.