Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    You ever overdo it a little and then take a day or two off because you're sore?

Or do you still lift even if you're sore?

Most I ever benched before I had nerve damage was 285, at Nellis AFB. I highly doubt I'll ever do that again either...
    @Gunny
    Day off?

No, i'm rather insane. It IS advisable but my OCD would burst out of my head or something Hell, I used to run 3 miles AFTER downing a pint of Jack. Lifted with a 102 temp.

I have issues
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Day off?

No, i'm rather insane. It IS advisable but my OCD would burst out of my head or something Hell, I used to run 3 miles AFTER downing a pint of Jack. Lifted with a 102 temp.

I have issues
    Wow... ... well I pushed it some yesterday. After reading that piece about gaining strength by lifting heavier weight, I decided to kick it up another notch and added another 10 and even 20 pounds to some exercises. Well, now I'm actually a little sore today. I was thinking about taking the day off...

I do have a trailer hitch that's kinda rusty that I HAVE to get sanded down and painted. I should do that today because Saturday is trash day to take garbage to the dump, and since it snowed my truck isn't leaving the shop. Going to need that trailer hitch on the Suburban for the trailer now.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Wow... ... well I pushed it some yesterday. After reading that piece about gaining strength by lifting heavier weight, I decided to kick it up another notch and added another 10 and even 20 pounds to some exercises. Well, now I'm actually a little sore today. I was thinking about taking the day off...

I do have a trailer hitch that's kinda rusty that I HAVE to get sanded down and painted. I should do that today because Saturday is trash day to take garbage to the dump, and since it snowed my truck isn't leaving the shop. Going to need that trailer hitch on the Suburban for the trailer now.
    Take a day off. Most people do. I usually take Sundays off. Been using it as a catch up day since the babysitting gig started. Puts me a day ahead for the week in case I have to miss a day cuz of rugrat.

It won't kill you though
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Take a day off. Most people do. I usually take Sundays off. Been using it as a catch up day since the babysitting gig started. Puts me a day ahead for the week in case I have to miss a day cuz of rugrat.

It won't kill you though
    On the days I do take off, I almost feel guilty... like I'm shirking my duty...

I been hittin' it pretty hard and it has become a routine. I'm pretty dedicated to it. Big time visible results already, and it is addicting. Even though I'll probably head out to the shop in a little while here, I'll probably do a quick set of something before I leave the house, because the gym is RIGHT THERE... it calls to me...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

On the days I do take off, I almost feel guilty... like I'm shirking my duty...

I been hittin' it pretty hard and it has become a routine. I'm pretty dedicated to it. Big time visible results already, and it is addicting. Even though I'll probably head out to the shop in a little while here, I'll probably do a quick set of something before I leave the house, because the gym is RIGHT THERE... it calls to me...
    Something I thought of ... I tend to assume everyone knows everything like me, but then I forget y'all aren't Marines at times I don't know how you split your workout, but if you split the major muscle groups so that you are not directly working the same ones every day, it helps youtr muscles and joints recover faster and also gives you something else you can do tht veers away from a sore or injured area.

For instance, last Friday I absolutely thrashed my legs doing cleans and front squats. I realized this most Sat morning when I woke up and was in a serious hurt locker from mid-back down So I switched gears and Sat did pullups and arms and skipped the run. Sun I worked chest and triceps and did run. Sorta Anyway, I gave my lower back and legs 2 days off from any direct work. One thing I never have and do not screw around about is my lower back. I'll pile on the weights, but if it gets too sore for my liking it gets a break. I've never had any back problems and am not encouraging any to show up at this late stage in the game. Not being able to use mine due to atrophy and being immobilized in the hospital was all the sneak preview I needed of THAT shit to reaffirm my stance.

I have to work out 6 days a week. It's like getting a fix, I guess. Same with running/walking. Six days a week. Other people do Mon-Wed-Fri or some such kind of crap but I can't work out like that. Smae amount of time more or less each day works best for me. I'm one of those people that feels myself getting out of shape if I miss a day (that IS bullshit but the mind am a terrible thing)

9. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Something I thought of ... I tend to assume everyone knows everything like me, but then I forget y'all aren't Marines at times I don't know how you split your workout, but if you split the major muscle groups so that you are not directly working the same ones every day, it helps youtr muscles and joints recover faster and also gives you something else you can do tht veers away from a sore or injured area.

For instance, last Friday I absolutely thrashed my legs doing cleans and front squats. I realized this most Sat morning when I woke up and was in a serious hurt locker from mid-back down So I switched gears and Sat did pullups and arms and skipped the run. Sun I worked chest and triceps and did run. Sorta Anyway, I gave my lower back and legs 2 days off from any direct work. One thing I never have and do not screw around about is my lower back. I'll pile on the weights, but if it gets too sore for my liking it gets a break. I've never had any back problems and am not encouraging any to show up at this late stage in the game. Not being able to use mine due to atrophy and being immobilized in the hospital was all the sneak preview I needed of THAT shit to reaffirm my stance.

I have to work out 6 days a week. It's like getting a fix, I guess. Same with running/walking. Six days a week. Other people do Mon-Wed-Fri or some such kind of crap but I can't work out like that. Smae amount of time more or less each day works best for me. I'm one of those people that feels myself getting out of shape if I miss a day (that IS bullshit but the mind am a terrible thing)
    Yep... I work from the top on down in muscle groups divided into different days until I get to my legs, and I did a total burn on my legs the other day too. Did front leg curls until I walked like I had splints tied to my legs, then did rear leg curls, much harder, then toe stands pulling up on about 120-130 on the cable. My legs didn't feel too bad the next day, just told me I can do more I guess, or more often. But yeah, I work like shoulders, upper back, pecks, lats one day, then bis, tris, abs and lower back next, and so on on down. I think I could work the biceps every day. Never seems like they ever get sore. I try and work out every day. Feels like I'm missing something if I don't. I did take today off though. Worked about 5 hours scraping, sanding and wire brushing the rust off the trailer hitch for the Suburban. What a filthy mess that was. Have to finish it tomorrow. But the day ain't over, and the gym is right behind me... I could get in a little late workout...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-09-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Started at the top today, shoulders, workin' down, adding weight again doing some sitting on the bench, pull backs, with the upright bench press bar, and I noticed the VEINS are starting to pop a little now too. I'm pretty sure that's to feed muscles I'm unrelentingly working out now. Never had huge, popping veins before, but, things are definitely changing.

I still have some pop and a little bit of chips, but going to do my dang best to cut out ALL sugar, and take it easy on the carbs too. Never was one to eat candy and cake and pies and all that.

You have a special diet, Gunny, or do you just eat whatever the heck you want? You eat before you work out or after?

@Gunny
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-10-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Started at the top today, shoulders, workin' down, adding weight again doing some sitting on the bench, pull backs, with the upright bench press bar, and I noticed the VEINS are starting to pop a little now too. I'm pretty sure that's to feed muscles I'm unrelentingly working out now. Never had huge, popping veins before, but, things are definitely changing.

I still have some pop and a little bit of chips, but going to do my dang best to cut out ALL sugar, and take it easy on the carbs too. Never was one to eat candy and cake and pies and all that.

You have a special diet, Gunny, or do you just eat whatever the heck you want? You eat before you work out or after?

@Gunny
    U have no "special diet". Generally, I eat healthy (depending on who you ask). Mostly protein in the form of red meat. Eggs. Some oatmeal. Most veggies. And jalapeno potato chips and Cokes (my secret )

Don't listen to me though. If I don't lift weights and eat protein I lose weight. I went from 205 to 155 when I was hospitalized and I manage to stay between 180-185 now but if I slack on eating I'll drop down. And if you don't think chasing a 18 months old 8 hours a day will get you too tired to eat, try it. He's the best weight loss program I've ever seen Problem is, I'm not trying to lose weight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

@High_Plains_Drifter

I don't always get on top of everything all the time because the little guy's schedule is definitely not in tune with mine. It's not in tune at all as a matter of fact. if I get lucky, I'm done with everything I need to do AND he decides it's nap time

You previously mentioned something about your tricep playing catch up. THAT is pretty-much exactly how I dragged my should kicking and screaming back up. I tried dumbells first trying to just rehab it and that not only sucked, but was really going nowhere. So I hit the Gunny default button and slammed some heavy weights (comparatively) on a bar and went to town doing doubles and triples with as much as my shoulder could take. Of course everything else was compensating, but it STILL brought the shoulder up to a decent amount of strength.

I went after it from all angles as well. Almost every upper body exercise works shoulders to a degree so I would vary them from time to time. To this day, my shoulder STILL is the limiting factor in my lifts, and it STILL hurts. The exercise determines how much. I have managed to go from not being able to lift my arm (when I first hurt it) up to my shoulder to almost a full range of motion.

There's a lot of time and frustration feeling like I'm getting nowhere involved, then I look back at what I was doing even 6 months ago and realize I've progressed. Just too damned slow dammit! One day at a time.

14. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@High_Plains_Drifter

I don't always get on top of everything all the time because the little guy's schedule is definitely not in tune with mine. It's not in tune at all as a matter of fact. if I get lucky, I'm done with everything I need to do AND he decides it's nap time

You previously mentioned something about your tricep playing catch up. THAT is pretty-much exactly how I dragged my should kicking and screaming back up. I tried dumbells first trying to just rehab it and that not only sucked, but was really going nowhere. So I hit the Gunny default button and slammed some heavy weights (comparatively) on a bar and went to town doing doubles and triples with as much as my shoulder could take. Of course everything else was compensating, but it STILL brought the shoulder up to a decent amount of strength.

I went after it from all angles as well. Almost every upper body exercise works shoulders to a degree so I would vary them from time to time. To this day, my shoulder STILL is the limiting factor in my lifts, and it STILL hurts. The exercise determines how much. I have managed to go from not being able to lift my arm (when I first hurt it) up to my shoulder to almost a full range of motion.

There's a lot of time and frustration feeling like I'm getting nowhere involved, then I look back at what I was doing even 6 months ago and realize I've progressed. Just too damned slow dammit! One day at a time.
    I hear that, progress is SLOW. Course I'm dealing with a 63 year old body. It's on the DECLINE, and I'm trying to do the opposite. I'm fighting a losing battle. Age will win sooner or later, but I can still slow it down, even considerably, and be a helluva lot stronger and healthier in the meantime. I've noticed that the triceps HAVE picked up a little strength. Not much, but enough to notice, so something is happening there. I use the cables to do the bench presses most of the time, because then that right triceps has to press what the left side is, and sometimes my arm wants to just collapse, but I catch it and work it through. Yeah other muscles do compensate, but I know that little that's left of the right triceps is working. I WILL keep working it. I've only been at it a little over two months now so I shouldn't get discouraged if I don't see enough change. I need to give it a year, or two, or whatever. The gym ain't going anywhere, and I'll keep pumping iron.

I'm starting a total diet change over too. Trying to eliminate ALL sugar and as much unsaturated fat as I can, so I've started reading labels on stuff and it's just mind numbing how much sugar there is in EVERYTHING it seems. The grape juice I like is HORRIBLE, and the Arizona Tea I buy by the gallon is full of sugar too, and those gallons of chocolate milk I like to pound down say they're 1% fat, but that's probably bad for me too, and that Carnation powder creamer I put in my coffee every morning, two or three cups, is loaded with FAT. No wonder I step on the scale, even when I haven't eaten much for a couple days, and wonder why I can't lose weight. I've been doing a lot of stuff wrong with what I eat, what I drink, when I eat and how much I eat. But today is day 6 of a completely overhauled diet, and I just stepped on the scale, lost 4 pounds already... unbelievable. I haven't gone DOWN in weight for so long, I literally had almost given up. I just needed to do some serious reading about proper diet, and then DO IT.
    @Gunny
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-18-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I hear that, progress is SLOW. Course I'm dealing with a 63 year old body. It's on the DECLINE, and I'm trying to do the opposite. I'm fighting a losing battle. Age will win sooner or later, but I can still slow it down, even considerably, and be a helluva lot stronger and healthier in the meantime. I've noticed that the triceps HAVE picked up a little strength. Not much, but enough to notice, so something is happening there. I use the cables to do the bench presses most of the time, because then that right triceps has to press what the left side is, and sometimes my arm wants to just collapse, but I catch it and work it through. Yeah other muscles do compensate, but I know that little that's left of the right triceps is working. I WILL keep working it. I've only been at it a little over two months now so I shouldn't get discouraged if I don't see enough change. I need to give it a year, or two, or whatever. The gym ain't going anywhere, and I'll keep pumping iron.

I'm starting a total diet change over too. Trying to eliminate ALL sugar and as much unsaturated fat as I can, so I've started reading labels on stuff and it's just mind numbing how much sugar there is in EVERYTHING it seems. The grape juice I like is HORRIBLE, and the Arizona Tea I buy by the gallon is full of sugar too, and those gallons of chocolate milk I like to pound down say they're 1% fat, but that's probably bad for me too, and that Carnation powder creamer I put in my coffee every morning, two or three cups, is loaded with FAT. No wonder I step on the scale, even when I haven't eaten much for a couple days, and wonder why I can't lose weight. I've been doing a lot of stuff wrong with what I eat, what I drink, when I eat and how much I eat. But today is day 6 of a completely overhauled diet, and I just stepped on the scale, lost 4 pounds already... unbelievable. I haven't gone DOWN in weight for so long, I literally had almost given up. I just needed to do some serious reading about proper diet, and then DO IT.
    @Gunny
    I'm only 4-5 years younger than you, btw.

It might behoove you to do a little research because I am going to go off memory and I probably have forgotten more than I remember. Don't get wrapped around the axle on reading food labels. They have been allowed to re-name and re-package what "is" is more than Bill Clinton over the years. A LOT of it is half-truths and/or just pure BS, based on fads.

Sugar used to be bad. Now, only processed sugar is bad, so it's okay to have natural sugar. True enough. However, factor in that carbs are currently "bad". Bullshit. HOWEVER, carbs break down into sugars -- simple or complex. So marketing says well, since carbs break down into sugars, we really don't have carbs in our products anymore. Just sugars.

When you get through all of that mumbo-jumbo double talk the bottom-line fact is sugar, protein and fat that is not metabolized and used will be stored as fat.

When I was on active duty, and a commercial electrician, I couldn't eat enough carbs and I was not fat. I carried more visible bodyfat (not much really) but I was burning the Hell out of it. Not to mention I was drinking and alcohol metabolizes into sugar. I was strong as an ox and could go all day.

Potatoes used to be bad for you (fattening). Bread too. Now they're great. Yippee. You pay people enough money for a study to come up with a result and they will spend as much as they can and find the result you desire.

My simple rule of thumb is I don't eat a lot of processed ANYTHING. Drives my daughter nuts . It REALLY drover her nuts when I was her only parent when she was a kid She didn't learn much from me, I can tell you THAT. I get my own food around here.

One thing I rarely eat is fast food. Maybe once a month or so. That and alcohol has a LOT of fat regardless how they're labeled. Anyway, if you don't eat processed food, you don't have a label to read It my be worth a read to look it up. I learned all this crap from books. You can probably google it nowadays

17. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'm only 4-5 years younger than you, btw.

It might behoove you to do a little research because I am going to go off memory and I probably have forgotten more than I remember. Don't get wrapped around the axle on reading food labels. They have been allowed to re-name and re-package what "is" is more than Bill Clinton over the years. A LOT of it is half-truths and/or just pure BS, based on fads.

Sugar used to be bad. Now, only processed sugar is bad, so it's okay to have natural sugar. True enough. However, factor in that carbs are currently "bad". Bullshit. HOWEVER, carbs break down into sugars -- simple or complex. So marketing says well, since carbs break down into sugars, we really don't have carbs in our products anymore. Just sugars.

When you get through all of that mumbo-jumbo double talk the bottom-line fact is sugar, protein and fat that is not metabolized and used will be stored as fat.

When I was on active duty, and a commercial electrician, I couldn't eat enough carbs and I was not fat. I carried more visible bodyfat (not much really) but I was burning the Hell out of it. Not to mention I was drinking and alcohol metabolizes into sugar. I was strong as an ox and could go all day.

Potatoes used to be bad for you (fattening). Bread too. Now they're great. Yippee. You pay people enough money for a study to come up with a result and they will spend as much as they can and find the result you desire.

My simple rule of thumb is I don't eat a lot of processed ANYTHING. Drives my daughter nuts . It REALLY drover her nuts when I was her only parent when she was a kid She didn't learn much from me, I can tell you THAT. I get my own food around here.

One thing I rarely eat is fast food. Maybe once a month or so. That and alcohol has a LOT of fat regardless how they're labeled. Anyway, if you don't eat processed food, you don't have a label to read It my be worth a read to look it up. I learned all this crap from books. You can probably google it nowadays
    Well, I'll tell ya what bro... been talking to my kid, and he was right up there almost 200 pounds about 2 years ago. Then he met this girl, who is now his wife, but she was a nutrition nut and got him going on the proper diet kick and reading labels about what's in food and stuff, but to the extreme, watching videos, reading books, etc, and he's lost almost FORTY POUNDS, and he's KEPT IT OFF. So I am listening to him.

But yeah, back in the day, even up 'til I was probably 40... 45 years old, I could eat ANYTHING, and as much of it as I wanted and never gain a pound. Course I worked my ass off too. I never had a sit down job in my life. But SIXTY... there's where the real problems have started. That's when it's really become a problem. I can be in the same ROOM with a DONUT and GAIN TWO POUNDS. I know part of that was also due to inactivity and I'm changing that, but, seriously, my eating habits were in the toilet. I had basically given up, thought oh what the hell, who cares, and I was eating the chocolate chunk cookies and chips and dip and pop and eating big meals late at night, just horrible. Kinda dumb for me to even wonder why I couldn't lose weight. Just laying back a couple days isn't going to do squat, it has to be long term. Ya gotta make a lifestyle change, and that's where I'm at. Oh, and the kid keeps emphasizing to drink LOTS OF WATER, and put a fresh squeeze and slice of lemon in it, and they buy all the organic they can find too. I don't have the grocery options they do though, not here in this little town.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-18-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I wouldn't listen to any one person. I never have. I have always got as much knowledge as I could and sifted through it, while taking notes in the school of hard knocks. The final arbiter is not going to be another person and/or a degree or not; rather, it will be your body and how well you can listen to it. What I tell you is what works for me. What you do with it is up to you.

Same goes with lifting. I think I've tried every workout under the sun and tossed most on the junk heap. For instance, I HATE bodybuilding. I've been lifting since 74-75 and think I lasted at actual bodybuilding about 3 months. It's too boring, tedious and time consuming for me.

Other people swear by it. Good for them. That means on the rare occasion I go to an actual gym I don't have to be bothered sharing equipment

20. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I wouldn't listen to any one person. I never have. I have always got as much knowledge as I could and sifted through it, while taking notes in the school of hard knocks. The final arbiter is not going to be another person and/or a degree or not; rather, it will be your body and how well you can listen to it. What I tell you is what works for me. What you do with it is up to you.

Same goes with lifting. I think I've tried every workout under the sun and tossed most on the junk heap. For instance, I HATE bodybuilding. I've been lifting since 74-75 and think I lasted at actual bodybuilding about 3 months. It's too boring, tedious and time consuming for me.

Other people swear by it. Good for them. That means on the rare occasion I go to an actual gym I don't have to be bothered sharing equipment
    I agree with that. I didn't buy the gym to get BULKED UP, I bought it to get healthy. Same with diet info, I agree, do what works. My son has talored his diet around losing weight, only, but since I'm working out every day, unlike him, I might need more protein than he does, or whatever. But one thing is for sure, I'm going to nip my drinking in the bud for awhile. Been reading bad stuff about that, especially hard liquor, and I like whiskey. Not going to throw out what I have, but I'm not going to touch it for awhile either. Word is if you're on any kind of weight loss program, then don't touch booze at all, not even beer. You were right how the body metabolizes it.

Worked the middle and legs today, and I sit backwards on the bench and pull back on the bars, which I can adjust forward and rear, but I can pull my entire stack of 160 lbs with my back doing pull backs. Gets a little hard on the hands though, build up your grip for sure. Doing crunches with 50 lbs now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Don't know if I asked you this before or not @Gunny, but if you rip it up pretty good and some parts get sore, do you still work those parts out?

I got pretty aggressive yesterday on an upper body workout. I'm feeling a lot stronger so I'm still adding weight, but now today I can feel it. The upper back I hit with more weight than ever before, and it's sore. But would you, do you, work out even sore muscles?

I hit the middle pretty good yesterday too, did crunches with 50 pounds. Not sore today. Tells me I can increase that workout.