Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    @Gunny... well I've had the gym about two weeks now and I've hit it every day except for one. I'm really starting to feel it already. My strength is returning and I can lift with "form," and nothing hurts when I lift. Several spots did when I started. I've already started adding weight.

I did try that stand in front, facing the gym and hook your ankle behind the bottom of the front leg curl and then rest your knee in front of the top pad, and you can do reverse leg curls, works good actually, but it's amazing how weak the back of the leg is. Three sets of 15 of reverse leg curls with 20 lbs will burn.

Oh, and I quit smoking too. Haven't bought any cigs since I put the thing together. I did buy a VAPE though. I got a SMOK, Devilkin. I had a different one a couple years ago and wasn't all that impressed with it so went back to cigs. I'll have to say they've come a LOOONG way since I quit. There's a lot more flavor juices and they taste better, and the new vape technology works so much better too. Yeah vaping may not be completely harmless but still, it's a lot less harmful than smoking, since you inhale BURNING shit and all it's toxins when you smoke, you're not when you vape. Ever tried it, Gunny?
    Leg curls are NOT good for the ego "Yeah, I can squat 300 lbs and leg curl 20!"

As far as the "habit" goes, I have done some SERIOUS study on THAT one. It started with the drinking and AA. Disclaimer: I have nothing against AA and found the people to be well-intended and want only what is best for the person and I will state here and now if anyone needs help and that works, get it. It didn't work for me, but that is because of me and the way my mind rolls.

I came to view AA (again, for ME) as replacing one addiction (the booze) with another (AA). I decided if that was the case and I just needed to replace the addiction, I was a gym rat since I was a kid. Had no choice about the gym thing because I couldn't walk. Drinking and working out are NOT conducive no matter what anyone says or thinks. So, I'm a work-out-aholic. I'll get over it. I'd rather a piece of iron do my thinking for me than what's in a bottle.

Moving right along, I got talked into trying that vaping stuff. Another "not for me" thing. The physical addiction to nicotine isn't that big a deal. A week or two and your body's clean. The psychological addiction of having that smoke in your hand and the hit from the smoke is quite another story. It's the habit that is the addiction. I didn't want to trade one addiction for the exact same thing just a different piece of equipment.

When I was in the hospital I survived just fine with the patch. There was nothing to the inpatient lifestyle that worked with smoking. I kick myself in the ass every day for picking up another cigarette. In both cases of addiction, being bored is the bottom line. Most everything bad in my life has boredom as the root to the evil. Smoking is a pain in the ass and expensive. I don't care about any of the rest of the crap about it. Just those two reasons. You'd think if it was such an "evil" they'd have come up with a real cure for it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Just can't underestimate the benefits of exercise though. I can't believe how much better I feel ALREADY.

Got up this morning and had my coffee, watched some news, the usual routine, and then figured I'd hit the gym quick before I went to a car show at the Chevy dealer where I bought the Camaro, and I did NOT want to quit. Had I not had to get in the shower and get going, I could have spent who knows how long on the gym... it felt that good. Yeah I'm afraid I'm kind of a lift-a-holic like you. I'm getting to the point where it doesn't make me feel tired or wear me out, it makes me feel BETTER as I go. Give me a year on this contraption and I should be a new man. Actually more or less just getting back where I was years ago. I can see the coming winter when it's colder'n a witches tit in a brass bra outside and there's NOTHING else to do, and just spend the DAY working out, and then the next day, and the next, and the next... shit... the gym has 160 lbs of iron but I can upgrade it to 210. Never know, might have to do that.

Best money I've spent in a long, long time. It's an investment in my own health. Sure I'm going to be feeble one day and maybe need a WALKER... ... but that day ain't gonna be anytime soon. You can slow down the aging process quite a bit with exercise. My "kinda" girlfriend, Heather, freaked out when I showed her the gym, and now she wants to come over and work out too. She's 46 and pretty dang hot already, not an ounce of fat on the girl, but yeah, she'd just be all that much hotter if she wants to start stopping by to lift too. She made a few comments about... "if I was dating anyone, it would be you"... kinda stuff... well my, my, my...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well, DEFINITELY feeling stronger. Have added 20 lbs. to just about every exercise except the legs, they seem a little slower to respond. But I'm doing stretches and warm ups before I start now too, and I'm hitting it every day. Definite visual difference too already, starting to see more definition with some minor bulking. Can't wait to see the 6 months difference, or even a couple years. I think the important thing is just STICK WITH IT. Shouldn't be too hard because I look forward to it.

Haven't smoked either. So far the new vape is working, and I don't hit that all that much either.

@Gunny
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@Gunny ... so, my only hold back is the atrophy in my right triceps, but I'll be damned if I think maybe, MAYBE, I might be having some effect on what little still works. I think it's actually getting stronger. I don't know if it's possible to build "NEW" nerve connections, but I mean, I don't think any of my nerves were ever SEVERED, they were CRUSHED, but they're still there. So this could be interesting, or not, but even if I can actually build up what little works, that would be a miracle in my eyes. Bench presses, either with the fixed upper gym swing arm or the independent cables are my only weak point. If I had no problems with nerve atrophy, I'd really be going to town. Well, I'm hittin' it pretty hard regardless, I just can't pack on the weight and do bench presses.

But, more muscle means more nerve, right? Could the nerve actually GROW?

This is interesting... maybe my right triceps can "talk" to my left, and help them... https://www.outsideonline.com/205506...nervous-system
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-08-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

@Gunny ... so, my only hold back is the atrophy in my right triceps, but I'll be damned if I think maybe, MAYBE, I might be having some effect on what little still works. I think it's actually getting stronger. I don't know if it's possible to build "NEW" nerve connections, but I mean, I don't think any of my nerves were ever SEVERED, they were CRUSHED, but they're still there. So this could be interesting, or not, but even if I can actually build up what little works, that would be a miracle in my eyes. Bench presses, either with the fixed upper gym swing arm or the independent cables are my only weak point. If I had no problems with nerve atrophy, I'd really be going to town. Well, I'm hittin' it pretty hard regardless, I just can't pack on the weight and do bench presses.

But, more muscle means more nerve, right? Could the nerve actually GROW?

This is interesting... maybe my right triceps can "talk" to my left, and help them... https://www.outsideonline.com/205506...nervous-system
    I really can't say what to do about injuries and/or nerve damage beyond my own experience. Depends on the injury. Some you just aren't getting past surgery to repair. Or you can be hard-headed like me. The nerve damage I have is permanent. I just accept it.

I injured my shoulder falling into a brick post on the porch when I first started trying to walk again and I tore "something". It took forever for me just to raise my arm above my head. I've managed to stubborn my way through most of it but I still don't have some range of motion (negligible). It's taken 2 years and it still hurts.

"How much I can lift" matters only insofar as "how much did I lift last time?" goes. I wouldn't take any bets that I'll ever climb under a 350 bench press again As far as the aforementioned injury and bench presses go, I just slowly worked myself up, making sure I worked the supporting muscles. The shoulder held me back until slowly over time it's eeked its way along.

I do believe that once a nerve is crushed it is gone. That you'd have to look up. I'm just going on some vague recollection.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

You ever overdo it a little and then take a day or two off because you're sore?

Or do you still lift even if you're sore?

Most I ever benched before I had nerve damage was 285, at Nellis AFB. I highly doubt I'll ever do that again either...
    @Gunny

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

You ever overdo it a little and then take a day or two off because you're sore?

Or do you still lift even if you're sore?

Most I ever benched before I had nerve damage was 285, at Nellis AFB. I highly doubt I'll ever do that again either...
    @Gunny
    Day off?

No, i'm rather insane. It IS advisable but my OCD would burst out of my head or something Hell, I used to run 3 miles AFTER downing a pint of Jack. Lifted with a 102 temp.

I have issues