Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 99 of 99
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    33,864
    Thanks (Given)
    18588
    Thanks (Received)
    18334
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    3086
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Hey... another thing @Gunny... I don't know about you, but my BACK seems to be the strongest part of my body. The exercises seem to be easy, and I've added more weight to my back exercises than any other part. I can just burn my back down and it just takes more, lat pull downs, straight back pulls on the press bar using arms, and pull backs keeping the arms straight and leaning/pulling back with the back, I can do almost the whole stack of 160 lbs, even the shoulders, I can work the holly hell otta that stuff and it just feels GOOD.

    You?
    Those are called seated pulley rows. My back is definitely the strongest. Purposefully so. Try not being able to walk or lift anything of significance. I deadlifted 225 a couple of weeks ago just jerking around being bored, but I didn't push it any further. Doing squat snatches and squat clean -n- jerks twice a week, I get plenty of back work in.

    Have a pullup bar in my bedroom door. I can single a pullup +20 lbs. Haven't pushed that one either. I always do 20 pullups. If I can do it in 1 set like I could when I was in the Corps, fine. If it takes me 20 x 1, so be it. I get my 20 and Chesty don't get his

    The reason I don't push deadlifts that hard is I'll just ease up to it. I could at one time hit 405. Never used straps. If my hands can't hold it, it's too heavy for me to be lifting. But ... it puts a LOT of pressure on every piece of soft tissue in your body from your neck to your toes. No reason to push that. I've got the rest of my life to increase the weight but only one spinal column

    I don't have machines. The lat pull down was the only one I usually ever used. Used to pull the whole stack. Another jarhead would have to grab my traps and push me down to the floor to do it or I'd have been just dangling from the end of the bar I forget how much it was. Crap like that was just our toxic masculinity kicking into competitive overdrive More often than not I just do pullups with a wide grip. Same movement.
    My quota of bullshit cop outs from closed minds is full today, Tomorrow's not looking good for you either.

  2. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
  3. #92
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    7,209
    Thanks (Given)
    3205
    Thanks (Received)
    3330
    Likes (Given)
    3247
    Likes (Received)
    1860
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18680547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Those are called seated pulley rows. My back is definitely the strongest. Purposefully so. Try not being able to walk or lift anything of significance. I deadlifted 225 a couple of weeks ago just jerking around being bored, but I didn't push it any further. Doing squat snatches and squat clean -n- jerks twice a week, I get plenty of back work in.

    Have a pullup bar in my bedroom door. I can single a pullup +20 lbs. Haven't pushed that one either. I always do 20 pullups. If I can do it in 1 set like I could when I was in the Corps, fine. If it takes me 20 x 1, so be it. I get my 20 and Chesty don't get his

    The reason I don't push deadlifts that hard is I'll just ease up to it. I could at one time hit 405. Never used straps. If my hands can't hold it, it's too heavy for me to be lifting. But ... it puts a LOT of pressure on every piece of soft tissue in your body from your neck to your toes. No reason to push that. I've got the rest of my life to increase the weight but only one spinal column

    I don't have machines. The lat pull down was the only one I usually ever used. Used to pull the whole stack. Another jarhead would have to grab my traps and push me down to the floor to do it or I'd have been just dangling from the end of the bar I forget how much it was. Crap like that was just our toxic masculinity kicking into competitive overdrive More often than not I just do pullups with a wide grip. Same movement.
    Yeah that's it, ROWS, I start with 80, then second set 90, then finish with 100 pounds. I use the bench press bar because it has an adjustment where I can move it way forward or backwards, so I sit on the seat facing backwards and do rows with the bench press bar. I started out with 50 pounds 3 three months ago. I actually could sit and use the curl cable on the front to do rows too. I bought a new curl bar on Amazon, works great, must weigh 10 pounds by itself...

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I wonder if the weight is the same on cables as it is with free weights... IDK. But I don't try and kill myself. I do push it but haven't been trying to SEE HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT. I do what feels good and do increase the resistance, but I get a good burn. I know "form" has a lot to do with what good you're getting out of your exercises. If I don't break a sweat, then I'm not working hard enough. I have started wearing my sweats when I work out now.

    I should try a pull up. I haven't been able to do even ONE for a long time. Got too damn fat, but, I'm losing weight. Down to 207 from 221. About half way to my target. About the only way to keep losing is to fast... A LOT. Been drinking protein drinks and taking my vitamins. I'll get there. I'm actually wearing a pair of my 36" waist jeans. Haven't been able to even PULL A PAIR OF THOSE ON for ages. Gets me real motivated to see those changes. I had given up.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-17-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    #Democrats are the party of trash
    #Democrats are destroying America

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    33,864
    Thanks (Given)
    18588
    Thanks (Received)
    18334
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    3086
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah that's it, ROWS, I start with 80, then second set 90, then finish with 100 pounds. I use the bench press bar because it has an adjustment where I can move it way forward or backwards, so I sit on the seat facing backwards and do rows with the bench press bar. I started out with 50 pounds 3 three months ago. I actually could sit and use the curl cable on the front to do rows too. I bought a new curl bar on Amazon, works great, must weigh 10 pounds by itself...

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I wonder if the weight is the same on cables as it is with free weights... IDK. But I don't try and kill myself. I do push it but haven't been trying to SEE HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT. I do what feels good and do increase the resistance, but I get a good burn. I know "form" has a lot to do with what good you're getting out of your exercises. If I don't break a sweat, then I'm not working hard enough. I have started wearing my sweats when I work out now.

    I should try a pull up. I haven't been able to do even ONE for a long time. Got too damn fat, but, I'm losing weight. Down to 207 from 221. About half way to my target. About the only way to keep losing is to fast... A LOT. Been drinking protein drinks and taking my vitamins. I'll get there. I'm actually wearing a pair of my 36" waist jeans. Haven't been able to even PULL A PAIR OF THOSE ON for ages. Gets me real motivated to see those changes. I had given up.
    The "free weights vs machines" argument is as old as the first machine. It's also like the proverbial asshole -- everybody's got one.

    A few things I know. One it depends 100% on what you want. Lifting is you vs the weight, not you vs anyone else's opinion and/or capability. Chasing someone else's capability unless you are a professional competitor is dumb and usually non-or-counter-productive.

    I get caught up in the mentality of comparing what I used to lift to what I am lifting and calling it "baby weight". In context, I am stronger than the average man. I never remember that part when I'm looking to 1 rep max with a weight I used to use for a warm up

    What I know about the argument is this: There has been one, professional weightlifter/bodybuilder/power lifter that I know of that claimed to build his body with machines. That was Casey Viator back in the 80s, a competitive bodybuilder and Top 10 in pro events for a few years. The claim was he built his body using nothing but the Nautilus weight machines. A LOT of people were skeptical. For one, Arthur Jones who invented both the Universal and Nautilus machines was footing his bill to pimp his stuff

    From personal experience, I was a regular at pushing over 300 on the bench on the Universal. First time I tried free weights (heavy ones), I got 185. Serious ego crush

    The science behind it is free weights require a lot of auxiliary muscles machines do not. You have to balance the weight in free weights. On machines, you have only to move the weight along the predetermined track. If you drop it, it makes a lot of noise but you can jump away from it and no harm no foul. The free weights you have to be in control of from start to finish. You can seriously injure yourself or someone else if you drop a weight/miss a lift with free weights. So you have to also add in the mental stress of knowing that. And stress DOES matter when lifting.

    As far as who decides what equates to what, who knows?
    My quota of bullshit cop outs from closed minds is full today, Tomorrow's not looking good for you either.

  5. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
  6. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    33,864
    Thanks (Given)
    18588
    Thanks (Received)
    18334
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    3086
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475323

    Default

    Here's another one. Try doing your entire routine with dumbbells instead of barbells. You got weights going everywhere, one in each hand in different directions and if you have a flaw/one side compensates for the other with the bar, the dumbbells will tell you REAL quick. It's an excellent way to try and "even" your body but it too is an ego killer. Especially in heavy pressing movements.

    Then you have kettlebells. They're even wilder because the weight swivels in your grip.
    My quota of bullshit cop outs from closed minds is full today, Tomorrow's not looking good for you either.

  7. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
  8. #95
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    7,209
    Thanks (Given)
    3205
    Thanks (Received)
    3330
    Likes (Given)
    3247
    Likes (Received)
    1860
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18680547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The "free weights vs machines" argument is as old as the first machine. It's also like the proverbial asshole -- everybody's got one.

    A few things I know. One it depends 100% on what you want. Lifting is you vs the weight, not you vs anyone else's opinion and/or capability. Chasing someone else's capability unless you are a professional competitor is dumb and usually non-or-counter-productive.

    I get caught up in the mentality of comparing what I used to lift to what I am lifting and calling it "baby weight". In context, I am stronger than the average man. I never remember that part when I'm looking to 1 rep max with a weight I used to use for a warm up

    What I know about the argument is this: There has been one, professional weightlifter/bodybuilder/power lifter that I know of that claimed to build his body with machines. That was Casey Viator back in the 80s, a competitive bodybuilder and Top 10 in pro events for a few years. The claim was he built his body using nothing but the Nautilus weight machines. A LOT of people were skeptical. For one, Arthur Jones who invented both the Universal and Nautilus machines was footing his bill to pimp his stuff

    From personal experience, I was a regular at pushing over 300 on the bench on the Universal. First time I tried free weights (heavy ones), I got 185. Serious ego crush

    The science behind it is free weights require a lot of auxiliary muscles machines do not. You have to balance the weight in free weights. On machines, you have only to move the weight along the predetermined track. If you drop it, it makes a lot of noise but you can jump away from it and no harm no foul. The free weights you have to be in control of from start to finish. You can seriously injure yourself or someone else if you drop a weight/miss a lift with free weights. So you have to also add in the mental stress of knowing that. And stress DOES matter when lifting.

    As far as who decides what equates to what, who knows?
    Yeah there's no way I'm going to be able to get as much good out of free weights as a universal gym, for one, because of the near total atrophy in my right triceps, and two, even when I use the front, bottom cable on the gym and do curls, I can feel a little catch in my back sometimes if I'm not consciously flexing my core to stand straight. The other thing about a gym for me was the ability to virtually get a total body workout on one machine.

    And it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm not going to pack on a lot of bulk, although I will put some on, I just enjoy the workouts, it feels great and it's healthy.

    Going to get a workout today shoveling SNOW... holy cow we got it good yesterday, and it's COLD.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    #Democrats are the party of trash
    #Democrats are destroying America

  9. #96
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    7,209
    Thanks (Given)
    3205
    Thanks (Received)
    3330
    Likes (Given)
    3247
    Likes (Received)
    1860
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18680547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Here's another one. Try doing your entire routine with dumbbells instead of barbells. You got weights going everywhere, one in each hand in different directions and if you have a flaw/one side compensates for the other with the bar, the dumbbells will tell you REAL quick. It's an excellent way to try and "even" your body but it too is an ego killer. Especially in heavy pressing movements.

    Then you have kettlebells. They're even wilder because the weight swivels in your grip.
    Been looking at barbells. I used to have a nice set, lost it somewhere after moving a dozen times. I might pick up another set. I know there's a lot of exercises you do with them, and them being free weights would be good.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    #Democrats are the party of trash
    #Democrats are destroying America

  10. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    33,864
    Thanks (Given)
    18588
    Thanks (Received)
    18334
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    3086
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah there's no way I'm going to be able to get as much good out of free weights as a universal gym, for one, because of the near total atrophy in my right triceps, and two, even when I use the front, bottom cable on the gym and do curls, I can feel a little catch in my back sometimes if I'm not consciously flexing my core to stand straight. The other thing about a gym for me was the ability to virtually get a total body workout on one machine.

    And it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm not going to pack on a lot of bulk, although I will put some on, I just enjoy the workouts, it feels great and it's healthy.

    Going to get a workout today shoveling SNOW... holy cow we got it good yesterday, and it's COLD.
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Been looking at barbells. I used to have a nice set, lost it somewhere after moving a dozen times. I might pick up another set. I know there's a lot of exercises you do with them, and them being free weights would be good.
    I went with the barbells to force my injured shoulder to keep up. I use dumbbells to isolate it and work it alone to build its strength up. Doubt it'll ever catch up, but if I focus on just rehabbing the injury I see a LOT of spinning my wheels. I literally started with 5 lbs and have worked my way up. The overload from the barbell weight has forced it to come along.

    Gives me something to bitch about and blame

    I lift how I always have. At least since about 81. I used machines before that because that's mostly what was available to me. I don't knock them. And on a day like you described today being, I'd be sitting INSIDE at my weights watching it snow OUTSIDE . Regardless the weather, I'm in the garage. It was bad when I lived in IL. I would have on long johns, sweats, clothes, heavy ass gloves, hat, snow boots and STILL have to run inside about every 20 minutes and thaw my hands. I was so bulked up it's a wonder I could move to lift

    It's still cold here insofar as that steel bar goes. I wear gloves between sets. But generally get away with just sweats and a hoodie.
    My quota of bullshit cop outs from closed minds is full today, Tomorrow's not looking good for you either.

  11. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
  12. #98
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    7,209
    Thanks (Given)
    3205
    Thanks (Received)
    3330
    Likes (Given)
    3247
    Likes (Received)
    1860
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18680547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I went with the barbells to force my injured shoulder to keep up. I use dumbbells to isolate it and work it alone to build its strength up. Doubt it'll ever catch up, but if I focus on just rehabbing the injury I see a LOT of spinning my wheels. I literally started with 5 lbs and have worked my way up. The overload from the barbell weight has forced it to come along.

    Gives me something to bitch about and blame

    I lift how I always have. At least since about 81. I used machines before that because that's mostly what was available to me. I don't knock them. And on a day like you described today being, I'd be sitting INSIDE at my weights watching it snow OUTSIDE . Regardless the weather, I'm in the garage. It was bad when I lived in IL. I would have on long johns, sweats, clothes, heavy ass gloves, hat, snow boots and STILL have to run inside about every 20 minutes and thaw my hands. I was so bulked up it's a wonder I could move to lift

    It's still cold here insofar as that steel bar goes. I wear gloves between sets. But generally get away with just sweats and a hoodie.
    That's why I put the gym in the house. There's some days I don't come out to the shop, and if it was out here and if I had to shovel snow, turn up the heat and all that just to work out, if I'm feeling lazy I won't, but when it's right in the house just a couple feet from me, I don't have an excuse not to workout. I still have to make myself START sometimes, but once I'm into it I'm gung-ho. Other days I can't wait to get to it.

    Stepped on the scale this morning and I was 206 even, so I've officially lost 15 pounds. Slow but sure. Was wearing 38's," but I have on my 36" waist jeans and they're not even tight. Maybe I'll even have to go buy some 34" because I plan on losing another 15 at least. Six pounds to go to 200, and I haven't weighed under that for a good 10 years. I'll be makin' history...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-19-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    #Democrats are the party of trash
    #Democrats are destroying America

  13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
  14. #99
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    7,209
    Thanks (Given)
    3205
    Thanks (Received)
    3330
    Likes (Given)
    3247
    Likes (Received)
    1860
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18680547

    Default

    @Gunny... I remember somewhere in this thread you said that you'd even lift sometimes after downing a bottle of Jack, that you "had issues,"...

    I'll tell ya brother, as much as I've been hitting it, I HAVE even came in from the shop a time of two after having a couple, and I'll have to tell ya, it just doesn't work for me. You gotta be an animal...

    IDK... the strength ain't there, the energy ain't there, seems like I'll hurt my damn self if I pushed it.

    I will tell you this though, bro, I'm on my second bottle of Prime Labs testosterone boosters, and I swear they are helping. I was ripping some curls the other day and FINALLY the next day my biceps were a little sore, whereas before it never seemed like how hard I pushed the bis, they never got sore. Same with the lats, but they were a little sore too. So the pills might be helping build bulk, and that is the idea.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-14-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    #Democrats are the party of trash
    #Democrats are destroying America

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •