Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Have fun. You'll be so tired dragging that shit around and putting it together you'll have to wait a day to work out
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Have fun. You'll be so tired dragging that shit around and putting it together you'll have to wait a day to work out
    You guessed that right. I worked on putting it together until 8:30 last night and finally called it quits. Got all the big stuff done, just a million pulleys and the cables, couple other small things and tighten everything up yet. Going to finish my morning coffee routine and get back at it. Yeah just working on getting this much done was a work out. This thing is BUILT. My Golds gym had plastic pulleys, this has METAL, with BEARINGS, and the steel is heavy duty. Just really happy with it overall, very well made... I have no idea why the board rotates this picture. It is not off on the host site. The board likes to auto rotate pics to landscape, seems it has a problem posting portrait oriented pics...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-07-2018 at 09:44 AM.

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

What's the rubber mallet for? In case you get pissed off at all that assembling shit?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

What's the rubber mallet for? In case you get pissed off at all that assembling shit?
    LOL... for putting in some of the end caps... but... here it is... DONE... only took TEN HOURS. VERY pleased though. Can't really think of an exercise you can't do on this thing. The thing right behind the upright seat you throw over your shoulders and do crunches, that's very cool. Doubt I can get the six pack back that I had when I was 30 but I'm going to try...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-07-2018 at 03:39 PM.

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    LOL... for putting in some of the end caps... but... here it is... DONE... only took TEN HOURS. VERY pleased though. Can't really think of an exercise you can't do on this thing. The thing right behind the upright seat you throw over your shoulders and do crunches, that's very cool. Doubt I can get the six pack back that I had when I was 30 but I'm going to try...

Cat don't look very motivated

That looks pretty slick.

9. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Cat don't look very motivated

That looks pretty slick.
    She was wondering why the hell I closed the blinds on her open window... I had to close them for second to get the picture.

Yeah I've used it already. Got a little work out. I am so impressed with this machine. Everything works so smooth, all the adjustments are easy, you can do so many different exercises on it, and it's really built well, super heavy duty, went together really nice, quality finish and materials, I'm going to leave a good review on it on Amazon. Going to have to figure up work out routines though.

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

She was wondering why the hell I closed the blinds on her open window... I had to close them for second to get the picture.

Yeah I've used it already. Got a little work out. I am so impressed with this machine. Everything works so smooth, all the adjustments are easy, you can do so many different exercises on it, and it's really built well, super heavy duty, went together really nice, quality finish and materials, I'm going to leave a good review on it on Amazon. Going to have to figure up work out routines though.
    Glad it worked out for you. I'me extremely leery of things like weight machines because all too often they end up being the quality you find in the apartment complex "gym". Rinky-tink, lightweight BS. If you got quality, heavy duty stuff, probably worth the price alone.

I got the same with my Oly weight bar. I went after market and bought a Rogue 20 kg bar. The "45 lb" bar that came with the budget Oly weight wet I bought did not weight 45 lbs, was off balance noticeably, and the markings on the bar were off. Absolutely unsat and annoying as Hell. The Rogue bar was worth the price alone just because I don't need a slide-rule every time I get my grip on it

13. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Glad it worked out for you. I'me extremely leery of things like weight machines because all too often they end up being the quality you find in the apartment complex "gym". Rinky-tink, lightweight BS. If you got quality, heavy duty stuff, probably worth the price alone.

I got the same with my Oly weight bar. I went after market and bought a Rogue 20 kg bar. The "45 lb" bar that came with the budget Oly weight wet I bought did not weight 45 lbs, was off balance noticeably, and the markings on the bar were off. Absolutely unsat and annoying as Hell. The Rogue bar was worth the price alone just because I don't need a slide-rule every time I get my grip on it
    I'll tell ya, after the two days it took to put it together, carting all that heavy stuff, and then the work out I got this morning, I've lost 3 pounds already and I noticeably feel better. I can feel my strength and energy coming back with just that little. It's amazing what exercise will do for you. I'll see how this works out for a few months. I can't see needing any free weights. But I am SO GLAD I have this thing now. It's right here under my nose. I don't have to get dressed, walk through snow, heat up the shop and all that this winter to work out now, and I won't sit around on my fat ass letting myself go. I just hate that with a passion. Exercising kinda got under my skin in the military. It can be addicting...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'll tell ya, after the two days it took to put it together, carting all that heavy stuff, and then the work out I got this morning, I've lost 3 pounds already and I noticeably feel better. I can feel my strength and energy coming back with just that little. It's amazing what exercise will do for you. I'll see how this works out for a few months. I can't see needing any free weights. But I am SO GLAD I have this thing now. It's right here under my nose. I don't have to get dressed, walk through snow, heat up the shop and all that this winter to work out now, and I won't sit around on my fat ass letting myself go. I just hate that with a passion. Exercising kinda got under my skin in the military. It can be addicting...
    Eh ... I do ALL that "old school", caveman stuff. I don't use machines at all. I'll use just about ANYTHING too. In Kuwait, we used sandbags and a truck axle

As long as that is what works for you is what matters.

16. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Eh ... I do ALL that "old school", caveman stuff. I don't use machines at all. I'll use just about ANYTHING too. In Kuwait, we used sandbags and a truck axle

As long as that is what works for you is what matters.
    I got so bored and desperate last winter I tried using gallon Arizona tea jugs filled with water...

Yeah whatever works, just do it. The coolest thing about a universal gym is all the different kinds of exercises you can do with it. I've even got a little strap for going around your ankle so you can work the back of your legs and such. You can't forget your legs. Don't want to be all buffed out on top and your legs look like tooth picks. Sitting around getting soft will just get you into an early grave.

And another thing, they started me on a statin to lower my cholesterol, but I've read that the ONE THING you can do, that is the BEST thing you can do to lower your cholesterol, is EXERCISE. So I'm going to stop taking it and just see what happens. If it comes down, which I expect it will, I'm going to tell my doctor that I haven't been taking it, that it's down because I bought another nice gym and have been working out.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-08-2018 at 02:27 PM.

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I got so bored and desperate last winter I tried using gallon Arizona tea jugs filled with water...

Yeah whatever works, just do it. The coolest thing about a universal gym is all the different kinds of exercises you can do with it. I've even got a little strap for going around your ankle so you can work the back of your legs and such. You can't forget your legs. Don't want to be all buffed out on top and your legs look like tooth picks. Sitting around getting soft will just get you into an early grave.

And another thing, they started me on a statin to lower my cholesterol, but I've read that the ONE THING you can do, that is the BEST thing you can do to lower your cholesterol, is EXERCISE. So I'm going to stop taking it and just see what happens. If it comes down, which I expect it will, I'm going to tell my doctor that I haven't been taking it, that it's down because I bought another nice gym and have been working out.
    Speaking of ...

If there's one thing I don't leave out, it's legs. The hardest thing I'm doing right now is Olympic weightlifting. I already KNOW I can power up a LOT more weight. But doing it by the numbers with proper technique is a whole 'nuther ball game. The squat snatch and squat clean and jerk however don't miss many muscles at all. I found some "new" ones as a matter of fact

My legs and lower back suffered the most when I was in the hospital which is something I NEVER had to deal with. I was always naturally strong.

Your upper body ain't going anywhere your lower body don't take it.

20. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Speaking of ...

If there's one thing I don't leave out, it's legs. The hardest thing I'm doing right now is Olympic weightlifting. I already KNOW I can power up a LOT more weight. But doing it by the numbers with proper technique is a whole 'nuther ball game. The squat snatch and squat clean and jerk however don't miss many muscles at all. I found some "new" ones as a matter of fact

My legs and lower back suffered the most when I was in the hospital which is something I NEVER had to deal with. I was always naturally strong.

Your upper body ain't going anywhere your lower body don't take it.
    Exactly... I was wondering if you did squats. I guess you found one exercise I CAN'T do on the gym... the "clean and jerk." I did do some of that way back when, when I was working out at the base gyms. But I'm going to spend a few weeks just building strength, getting used to it again. I don't need to rip anything trying to lift more than I should.

I have the leg curl right in front on the gym, but like on my other old gym I'll use the curl and row bar hooked to the front bottom cable and put a bunch of weight on, because the legs just take it, and do toe ups too. The only part of the leg I couldn't work on with the old gym was the back, but this gym has that soft band that I can hook onto the curl cable in front and do back leg curls. I might even be able to just hook my leg behind the pad in front of the seat and do a reverse leg curl... I'll have to try it. Either way, I spend a whole session working just legs.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Exactly... I was wondering if you did squats. I guess you found one exercise I CAN'T do on the gym... the "clean and jerk." I did do some of that way back when, when I was working out at the base gyms. But I'm going to spend a few weeks just building strength, getting used to it again. I don't need to rip anything trying to lift more than I should.

I have the leg curl right in front on the gym, but like on my other old gym I'll use the curl and row bar hooked to the front bottom cable and put a bunch of weight on, because the legs just take it, and do toe ups too. The only part of the leg I couldn't work on with the old gym was the back, but this gym has that soft band that I can hook onto the curl cable in front and do back leg curls. I might even be able to just hook my leg behind the pad in front of the seat and do a reverse leg curl... I'll have to try it. Either way, I spend a whole session working just legs.
    Yeah, I do squats A-hole to the ground ones. From years of having beat up knees and ankles and doing squats only to parallel, it's a bitch doing a squat clean because my mind may be saying "we're bottoming out on this clean" but my legs and back are saying "my ass you are" Once I put enough weight on it defaults automatically to a power clean.

So I throw in a few sets of front squats after my cleans; I'll do back squats usually after I bench; and, I will overhead squat when I do snatches because there's not much choice in the matter. I do so much squatting just doing the lifts, that it doesn't take much. Back squats and deadlifts I do about once a weak.

I also walk/run just under 3 miles every day.

And the hardest workout of all: chase a 16 months old little boy around the house all day

23. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yeah, I do squats A-hole to the ground ones. From years of having beat up knees and ankles and doing squats only to parallel, it's a bitch doing a squat clean because my mind may be saying "we're bottoming out on this clean" but my legs and back are saying "my ass you are" Once I put enough weight on it defaults automatically to a power clean.

So I throw in a few sets of front squats after my cleans; I'll do back squats usually after I bench; and, I will overhead squat when I do snatches because there's not much choice in the matter. I do so much squatting just doing the lifts, that it doesn't take much. Back squats and deadlifts I do about once a weak.

I also walk/run just under 3 miles every day.

And the hardest workout of all: chase a 16 months old little boy around the house all day
    Ya got me here, bro... what's the difference between a front and back squat?

I don't run at all. I do a mile or so on the treadmill and and could run on that... maybe I should. Been just starting back on that too. I was really getting out of shape. Enough so to inspire me to buy that damn gym. I hate feeling soft and out of shape... just ain't me, and getting older is no excuse...

25. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Ya got me here, bro... what's the difference between a front and back squat?

I don't run at all. I do a mile or so on the treadmill and and could run on that... maybe I should. Been just starting back on that too. I was really getting out of shape. Enough so to inspire me to buy that damn gym. I hate feeling soft and out of shape... just ain't me, and getting older is no excuse...
    Back squat - what most people consider a squat. Bar on the back of your shoulders and squat down.

Front squat - hold the bar like you are going to military/front press it and squat down.

The balance between the two is completely different. The back squat uses the entire legs and back. The front squat pretty much isolates the quads. Everybody likes back squats more because you can lift a lot more weight. Especially when most people who don't know what they're doing usually won't go past parallel to the floor if even that.

I'm beyond the ego thing. It took everything I had at the time to do 10 squats with no weight and holding onto the arms into a chair just to get out of the hospital. I could at one time half-squat 405 with the best of them. Which amounts to being able to hold up 405 and squat down about 3-4 inches which means it amounts to not much at all. I wouldn't even consider touching that much weight now

27. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post