Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Hey... another thing @Gunny... I don't know about you, but my BACK seems to be the strongest part of my body. The exercises seem to be easy, and I've added more weight to my back exercises than any other part. I can just burn my back down and it just takes more, lat pull downs, straight back pulls on the press bar using arms, and pull backs keeping the arms straight and leaning/pulling back with the back, I can do almost the whole stack of 160 lbs, even the shoulders, I can work the holly hell otta that stuff and it just feels GOOD.

You?
    Those are called seated pulley rows. My back is definitely the strongest. Purposefully so. Try not being able to walk or lift anything of significance. I deadlifted 225 a couple of weeks ago just jerking around being bored, but I didn't push it any further. Doing squat snatches and squat clean -n- jerks twice a week, I get plenty of back work in.

Have a pullup bar in my bedroom door. I can single a pullup +20 lbs. Haven't pushed that one either. I always do 20 pullups. If I can do it in 1 set like I could when I was in the Corps, fine. If it takes me 20 x 1, so be it. I get my 20 and Chesty don't get his

The reason I don't push deadlifts that hard is I'll just ease up to it. I could at one time hit 405. Never used straps. If my hands can't hold it, it's too heavy for me to be lifting. But ... it puts a LOT of pressure on every piece of soft tissue in your body from your neck to your toes. No reason to push that. I've got the rest of my life to increase the weight but only one spinal column

I don't have machines. The lat pull down was the only one I usually ever used. Used to pull the whole stack. Another jarhead would have to grab my traps and push me down to the floor to do it or I'd have been just dangling from the end of the bar I forget how much it was. Crap like that was just our toxic masculinity kicking into competitive overdrive More often than not I just do pullups with a wide grip. Same movement.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Those are called seated pulley rows. My back is definitely the strongest. Purposefully so. Try not being able to walk or lift anything of significance. I deadlifted 225 a couple of weeks ago just jerking around being bored, but I didn't push it any further. Doing squat snatches and squat clean -n- jerks twice a week, I get plenty of back work in.

Have a pullup bar in my bedroom door. I can single a pullup +20 lbs. Haven't pushed that one either. I always do 20 pullups. If I can do it in 1 set like I could when I was in the Corps, fine. If it takes me 20 x 1, so be it. I get my 20 and Chesty don't get his

The reason I don't push deadlifts that hard is I'll just ease up to it. I could at one time hit 405. Never used straps. If my hands can't hold it, it's too heavy for me to be lifting. But ... it puts a LOT of pressure on every piece of soft tissue in your body from your neck to your toes. No reason to push that. I've got the rest of my life to increase the weight but only one spinal column

I don't have machines. The lat pull down was the only one I usually ever used. Used to pull the whole stack. Another jarhead would have to grab my traps and push me down to the floor to do it or I'd have been just dangling from the end of the bar I forget how much it was. Crap like that was just our toxic masculinity kicking into competitive overdrive More often than not I just do pullups with a wide grip. Same movement.
    Yeah that's it, ROWS, I start with 80, then second set 90, then finish with 100 pounds. I use the bench press bar because it has an adjustment where I can move it way forward or backwards, so I sit on the seat facing backwards and do rows with the bench press bar. I started out with 50 pounds 3 three months ago. I actually could sit and use the curl cable on the front to do rows too. I bought a new curl bar on Amazon, works great, must weigh 10 pounds by itself...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if the weight is the same on cables as it is with free weights... IDK. But I don't try and kill myself. I do push it but haven't been trying to SEE HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT. I do what feels good and do increase the resistance, but I get a good burn. I know "form" has a lot to do with what good you're getting out of your exercises. If I don't break a sweat, then I'm not working hard enough. I have started wearing my sweats when I work out now.

I should try a pull up. I haven't been able to do even ONE for a long time. Got too damn fat, but, I'm losing weight. Down to 207 from 221. About half way to my target. About the only way to keep losing is to fast... A LOT. Been drinking protein drinks and taking my vitamins. I'll get there. I'm actually wearing a pair of my 36" waist jeans. Haven't been able to even PULL A PAIR OF THOSE ON for ages. Gets me real motivated to see those changes. I had given up.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-17-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Yeah that's it, ROWS, I start with 80, then second set 90, then finish with 100 pounds. I use the bench press bar because it has an adjustment where I can move it way forward or backwards, so I sit on the seat facing backwards and do rows with the bench press bar. I started out with 50 pounds 3 three months ago. I actually could sit and use the curl cable on the front to do rows too. I bought a new curl bar on Amazon, works great, must weigh 10 pounds by itself...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if the weight is the same on cables as it is with free weights... IDK. But I don't try and kill myself. I do push it but haven't been trying to SEE HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT. I do what feels good and do increase the resistance, but I get a good burn. I know "form" has a lot to do with what good you're getting out of your exercises. If I don't break a sweat, then I'm not working hard enough. I have started wearing my sweats when I work out now.

I should try a pull up. I haven't been able to do even ONE for a long time. Got too damn fat, but, I'm losing weight. Down to 207 from 221. About half way to my target. About the only way to keep losing is to fast... A LOT. Been drinking protein drinks and taking my vitamins. I'll get there. I'm actually wearing a pair of my 36" waist jeans. Haven't been able to even PULL A PAIR OF THOSE ON for ages. Gets me real motivated to see those changes. I had given up.
    The "free weights vs machines" argument is as old as the first machine. It's also like the proverbial asshole -- everybody's got one.

A few things I know. One it depends 100% on what you want. Lifting is you vs the weight, not you vs anyone else's opinion and/or capability. Chasing someone else's capability unless you are a professional competitor is dumb and usually non-or-counter-productive.

I get caught up in the mentality of comparing what I used to lift to what I am lifting and calling it "baby weight". In context, I am stronger than the average man. I never remember that part when I'm looking to 1 rep max with a weight I used to use for a warm up

What I know about the argument is this: There has been one, professional weightlifter/bodybuilder/power lifter that I know of that claimed to build his body with machines. That was Casey Viator back in the 80s, a competitive bodybuilder and Top 10 in pro events for a few years. The claim was he built his body using nothing but the Nautilus weight machines. A LOT of people were skeptical. For one, Arthur Jones who invented both the Universal and Nautilus machines was footing his bill to pimp his stuff

From personal experience, I was a regular at pushing over 300 on the bench on the Universal. First time I tried free weights (heavy ones), I got 185. Serious ego crush

The science behind it is free weights require a lot of auxiliary muscles machines do not. You have to balance the weight in free weights. On machines, you have only to move the weight along the predetermined track. If you drop it, it makes a lot of noise but you can jump away from it and no harm no foul. The free weights you have to be in control of from start to finish. You can seriously injure yourself or someone else if you drop a weight/miss a lift with free weights. So you have to also add in the mental stress of knowing that. And stress DOES matter when lifting.

As far as who decides what equates to what, who knows?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Here's another one. Try doing your entire routine with dumbbells instead of barbells. You got weights going everywhere, one in each hand in different directions and if you have a flaw/one side compensates for the other with the bar, the dumbbells will tell you REAL quick. It's an excellent way to try and "even" your body but it too is an ego killer. Especially in heavy pressing movements.

Then you have kettlebells. They're even wilder because the weight swivels in your grip.

7. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The "free weights vs machines" argument is as old as the first machine. It's also like the proverbial asshole -- everybody's got one.

A few things I know. One it depends 100% on what you want. Lifting is you vs the weight, not you vs anyone else's opinion and/or capability. Chasing someone else's capability unless you are a professional competitor is dumb and usually non-or-counter-productive.

I get caught up in the mentality of comparing what I used to lift to what I am lifting and calling it "baby weight". In context, I am stronger than the average man. I never remember that part when I'm looking to 1 rep max with a weight I used to use for a warm up

What I know about the argument is this: There has been one, professional weightlifter/bodybuilder/power lifter that I know of that claimed to build his body with machines. That was Casey Viator back in the 80s, a competitive bodybuilder and Top 10 in pro events for a few years. The claim was he built his body using nothing but the Nautilus weight machines. A LOT of people were skeptical. For one, Arthur Jones who invented both the Universal and Nautilus machines was footing his bill to pimp his stuff

From personal experience, I was a regular at pushing over 300 on the bench on the Universal. First time I tried free weights (heavy ones), I got 185. Serious ego crush

The science behind it is free weights require a lot of auxiliary muscles machines do not. You have to balance the weight in free weights. On machines, you have only to move the weight along the predetermined track. If you drop it, it makes a lot of noise but you can jump away from it and no harm no foul. The free weights you have to be in control of from start to finish. You can seriously injure yourself or someone else if you drop a weight/miss a lift with free weights. So you have to also add in the mental stress of knowing that. And stress DOES matter when lifting.

As far as who decides what equates to what, who knows?
    Yeah there's no way I'm going to be able to get as much good out of free weights as a universal gym, for one, because of the near total atrophy in my right triceps, and two, even when I use the front, bottom cable on the gym and do curls, I can feel a little catch in my back sometimes if I'm not consciously flexing my core to stand straight. The other thing about a gym for me was the ability to virtually get a total body workout on one machine.

And it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm not going to pack on a lot of bulk, although I will put some on, I just enjoy the workouts, it feels great and it's healthy.

Going to get a workout today shoveling SNOW... holy cow we got it good yesterday, and it's COLD.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Here's another one. Try doing your entire routine with dumbbells instead of barbells. You got weights going everywhere, one in each hand in different directions and if you have a flaw/one side compensates for the other with the bar, the dumbbells will tell you REAL quick. It's an excellent way to try and "even" your body but it too is an ego killer. Especially in heavy pressing movements.

Then you have kettlebells. They're even wilder because the weight swivels in your grip.
    Been looking at barbells. I used to have a nice set, lost it somewhere after moving a dozen times. I might pick up another set. I know there's a lot of exercises you do with them, and them being free weights would be good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Yeah there's no way I'm going to be able to get as much good out of free weights as a universal gym, for one, because of the near total atrophy in my right triceps, and two, even when I use the front, bottom cable on the gym and do curls, I can feel a little catch in my back sometimes if I'm not consciously flexing my core to stand straight. The other thing about a gym for me was the ability to virtually get a total body workout on one machine.

And it's pretty obvious at this point that I'm not going to pack on a lot of bulk, although I will put some on, I just enjoy the workouts, it feels great and it's healthy.

Going to get a workout today shoveling SNOW... holy cow we got it good yesterday, and it's COLD.
    Been looking at barbells. I used to have a nice set, lost it somewhere after moving a dozen times. I might pick up another set. I know there's a lot of exercises you do with them, and them being free weights would be good.
    I went with the barbells to force my injured shoulder to keep up. I use dumbbells to isolate it and work it alone to build its strength up. Doubt it'll ever catch up, but if I focus on just rehabbing the injury I see a LOT of spinning my wheels. I literally started with 5 lbs and have worked my way up. The overload from the barbell weight has forced it to come along.

Gives me something to bitch about and blame

I lift how I always have. At least since about 81. I used machines before that because that's mostly what was available to me. I don't knock them. And on a day like you described today being, I'd be sitting INSIDE at my weights watching it snow OUTSIDE . Regardless the weather, I'm in the garage. It was bad when I lived in IL. I would have on long johns, sweats, clothes, heavy ass gloves, hat, snow boots and STILL have to run inside about every 20 minutes and thaw my hands. I was so bulked up it's a wonder I could move to lift

It's still cold here insofar as that steel bar goes. I wear gloves between sets. But generally get away with just sweats and a hoodie.

11. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I went with the barbells to force my injured shoulder to keep up. I use dumbbells to isolate it and work it alone to build its strength up. Doubt it'll ever catch up, but if I focus on just rehabbing the injury I see a LOT of spinning my wheels. I literally started with 5 lbs and have worked my way up. The overload from the barbell weight has forced it to come along.

Gives me something to bitch about and blame

I lift how I always have. At least since about 81. I used machines before that because that's mostly what was available to me. I don't knock them. And on a day like you described today being, I'd be sitting INSIDE at my weights watching it snow OUTSIDE . Regardless the weather, I'm in the garage. It was bad when I lived in IL. I would have on long johns, sweats, clothes, heavy ass gloves, hat, snow boots and STILL have to run inside about every 20 minutes and thaw my hands. I was so bulked up it's a wonder I could move to lift

It's still cold here insofar as that steel bar goes. I wear gloves between sets. But generally get away with just sweats and a hoodie.
    That's why I put the gym in the house. There's some days I don't come out to the shop, and if it was out here and if I had to shovel snow, turn up the heat and all that just to work out, if I'm feeling lazy I won't, but when it's right in the house just a couple feet from me, I don't have an excuse not to workout. I still have to make myself START sometimes, but once I'm into it I'm gung-ho. Other days I can't wait to get to it.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I was 206 even, so I've officially lost 15 pounds. Slow but sure. Was wearing 38's," but I have on my 36" waist jeans and they're not even tight. Maybe I'll even have to go buy some 34" because I plan on losing another 15 at least. Six pounds to go to 200, and I haven't weighed under that for a good 10 years. I'll be makin' history...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-19-2019 at 02:32 PM.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@Gunny... I remember somewhere in this thread you said that you'd even lift sometimes after downing a bottle of Jack, that you "had issues,"...

I'll tell ya brother, as much as I've been hitting it, I HAVE even came in from the shop a time of two after having a couple, and I'll have to tell ya, it just doesn't work for me. You gotta be an animal...

IDK... the strength ain't there, the energy ain't there, seems like I'll hurt my damn self if I pushed it.

I will tell you this though, bro, I'm on my second bottle of Prime Labs testosterone boosters, and I swear they are helping. I was ripping some curls the other day and FINALLY the next day my biceps were a little sore, whereas before it never seemed like how hard I pushed the bis, they never got sore. Same with the lats, but they were a little sore too. So the pills might be helping build bulk, and that is the idea.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

@Gunny... I remember somewhere in this thread you said that you'd even lift sometimes after downing a bottle of Jack, that you "had issues,"...

I'll tell ya brother, as much as I've been hitting it, I HAVE even came in from the shop a time of two after having a couple, and I'll have to tell ya, it just doesn't work for me. You gotta be an animal...

IDK... the strength ain't there, the energy ain't there, seems like I'll hurt my damn self if I pushed it.

I will tell you this though, bro, I'm on my second bottle of Prime Labs testosterone boosters, and I swear they are helping. I was ripping some curls the other day and FINALLY the next day my biceps were a little sore, whereas before it never seemed like how hard I pushed the bis, they never got sore. Same with the lats, but they were a little sore too. So the pills might be helping build bulk, and that is the idea.
    @High_Plains_Drifter I've been looking for this thread because I remember you responded in it. Leave it to you to put it in Science and Health

I wouldn't recommend drinking and lifting to anyone. I was certainly setting no personal records at the time. I definitely wasn't lifting near my max. Thing is, I had to limit my lifting so I had "A workout". It was a Jack of All Trades, Master of none workout. In the early 80s I got too big for my uniforms. Twice. Expensive. Then I went on independent duty where I had to where charlies every day so my uniform had to fit every day. Plus, I had to be able to run 3 miles in 28 or less (28 is minimum to graze in with a pass). Then there's the time itself to work out.

My workout for years was tailored to fit me in my uniforms. When I retired, it was more about the time because suddenly I wasn't working out on the Corps' dime, and I was getting a Hell of a workout just being an electrician.

SO ... I could go through the motions, drinking or not. The difference between then and now is I have to actually concentrate and apply effort now.

Something else you've mentioned a couple of times I've really not commented on. I don't have an ab workout. I do different crap whenever the mood strikes for my abs. The abdominal wall is a muscle. It grows just like an other muscle with exercise. I used to do 400 situps every day before work (way back when) and wonder why I wasn't getting abs like Rambo (First Blood was new back then and suddenly put the demand on all of us to sport six packs).

Mostly, I'll do hanging leg raises from my pullup bar and it keeps my abs strong, which is my primary goal in working them.
    Last edited by Gunny; 04-20-2019 at 07:34 PM.

16. Likes FakeNewsSux, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@High_Plains_Drifter I've been looking for this thread because I remember you responded in it. Leave it to you to put it in Science and Health

I wouldn't recommend drinking and lifting to anyone. I was certainly setting no personal records at the time. I definitely wasn't lifting near my max. Thing is, I had to limit my lifting so I had "A workout". It was a Jack of All Trades, Master of none workout. In the early 80s I got too big for my uniforms. Twice. Expensive. Then I went on independent duty where I had to where charlies every day so my uniform had to fit every day. Plus, I had to be able to run 3 miles in 28 or less (28 is minimum to graze in with a pass). Then there's the time itself to work out.

My workout for years was tailored to fit me in my uniforms. When I retired, it was more about the time because suddenly I wasn't working out on the Corps' dime, and I was getting a Hell of a workout just being an electrician.

SO ... I could go through the motions, drinking or not. The difference between then and now is I have to actually concentrate and apply effort now.

Something else you've mentioned a couple of times I've really not commented on. I don't have an ab workout. I do different crap whenever the mood strikes for my abs. The abdominal wall is a muscle. It grows just like an other muscle with exercise. I used to do 400 situps every day before work (way back when) and wonder why I wasn't getting abs like Rambo (First Blood was new back then and suddenly put the demand on all of us to sport six packs).

Mostly, I'll do hanging leg raises from my pullup bar and it keeps my abs strong, which is my primary goal in working them.
    Well hey... ain't workin' out about HEALTH? ...

For the past month or so I've kinda slowed to working out every other day, sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row, and I've gained a lot of strength. I notice the benefits of lifting a lot with things I do, like running my chain saw. Last year before the gym I noticed that it felt heavier than usual, but when I recently got it out to start getting rid of an old pile of wood from trees cut down, it felt a hellova lot lighter. I enjoy more reps with less weight usually, like three sets of 20 for each exercise. My problem is the damn right triceps. I do believe I've made the tiny little bit that works, a LITTLE bit stronger, but I haven't woken up anything significant. I think those nerves and muscles are just dead for the rest of my life, and that does hold me back. I'd like to do some benches with some heavy weight, but that just isn't happening. I have to settle for doing lots of reps with less weight.

I haven't paid much attention to abs work outs. I notice that I'm usually always flexing my core all the time doing other stuff anyway. But for the most part, I have been sticking with it. I do enjoy it. Kinda turns into a habit. I knew if I put the gym in the house right under my nose, I'd use it. This Fall will be a year since I bought it. I think there's a big difference is my build already. Not so much bulk, some, but getting good definition. It'll be interesting so see the difference a year has made. I bet if I was 30 years younger and hadn't crushed nerves in my neck, I'd have packed on quite a bit of bulk already. But I'll tell ya something else, I notice that I'm in a hellova lot better shape than most guys I know my age, and in a lot better shape than a hellova lot of young people I see. So many FAT people, lard asses, just look like a friggin' bowl of jello.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-21-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Well hey... ain't workin' out about HEALTH? ...

For the past month or so I've kinda slowed to working out every other day, sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row, and I've gained a lot of strength. I notice the benefits of lifting a lot with things I do, like running my chain saw. Last year before the gym I noticed that it felt heavier than usual, but when I recently got it out to start getting rid of an old pile of wood from trees cut down, it felt a hellova lot lighter. I enjoy more reps with less weight usually, like three sets of 20 for each exercise. My problem is the damn right triceps. I do believe I've made the tiny little bit that works, a LITTLE bit stronger, but I haven't woken up anything significant. I think those nerves and muscles are just dead for the rest of my life, and that does hold me back. I'd like to do some benches with some heavy weight, but that just isn't happening. I have to settle for doing lots of reps with less weight.

I haven't paid much attention to abs work outs. I notice that I'm usually always flexing my core all the time doing other stuff anyway. But for the most part, I have been sticking with it. I do enjoy it. Kinda turns into a habit. I knew if I put the gym in the house right under my nose, I'd use it. This Fall will be a year since I bought it. I think there's a big difference is my build already. Not so much bulk, some, but getting good definition. It'll be interesting so see the difference a year has made. I bet if I was 30 years younger and hadn't crushed nerves in my neck, I'd have packed on quite a bit of bulk already. But I'll tell ya something else, I notice that I'm in a hellova lot better shape than most guys I know my age, and in a lot better shape than a hellova lot of young people I see. So many FAT people, lard asses, just look like a friggin' bowl of jello.
    I've been into fitness since as far back as I can remember, in one form or another. One thing has always stood out like that neon billboard in Times Square to me:

People will do the stupidest, most unhealthiest and dangerous things in the name of fitness and health. "Gym 'tards" at best are comical and at worst annoying and/or dangerous to themselves and everyone around them. I can't say I actually ever measured up to the "gym tard" level, but I have definitely done both unhealthy and seriously dangerous stuff. I would definitely include lifting and drinking in the latter.

The weight training until the past couple of years was always secondary to functional strength and endurance to me. I practiced martial arts, played basketball, kickboxed, rock-climbed, swam, ran, and just about anything that presented a physical challenge, not to mention all the Marine Corps crap I had to do The entire time I was on active duty. When I retired and decided to be an electrician, I was always hanging off crap, climbing ladders all day, humping conduit and other materiel, so I was getting my functional exercise.

My functional exercise now consists of chasing a soon-to-be 2 years old all day and if you don't think that'll do it for ya, give it a shot I have always been of the opinion that muscle that doesn't work isn't worth much. Kinda like having a 350 under the hood and a a transmission from an AMC Pacer. If you can't get that power to the ground it's just a lot of noise.

19. Likes LongTermGuy, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I've been into fitness since as far back as I can remember, in one form or another. One thing has always stood out like that neon billboard in Times Square to me:

People will do the stupidest, most unhealthiest and dangerous things in the name of fitness and health. "Gym 'tards" at best are comical and at worst annoying and/or dangerous to themselves and everyone around them. I can't say I actually ever measured up to the "gym tard" level, but I have definitely done both unhealthy and seriously dangerous stuff. I would definitely include lifting and drinking in the latter.

The weight training until the past couple of years was always secondary to functional strength and endurance to me. I practiced martial arts, played basketball, kickboxed, rock-climbed, swam, ran, and just about anything that presented a physical challenge, not to mention all the Marine Corps crap I had to do The entire time I was on active duty. When I retired and decided to be an electrician, I was always hanging off crap, climbing ladders all day, humping conduit and other materiel, so I was getting my functional exercise.

My functional exercise now consists of chasing a soon-to-be 2 years old all day and if you don't think that'll do it for ya, give it a shot I have always been of the opinion that muscle that doesn't work isn't worth much. Kinda like having a 350 under the hood and a a transmission from an AMC Pacer. If you can't get that power to the ground it's just a lot of noise.
    I took a little Martial Arts when I was in the Air Force, but I've probably forgotten more than I learned... I was always pretty active too. Played all the different phases of baseball from old enough to play up to Little League. Never played Pony League which included ages up into their twenties. I was too preoccupied with being a hoodlum. I thought that was the cool thing to do because they all liked cars and motorcycles. But, that was just a phase. My favorite was Wrestling. I wrestled for six years in high school. What I found so appealing was that you got matched up with someone that weighed the same as you.

My life changed when I joined the Air Force. That kinda put most things in perspective, but I sure did my share of partying and drinking, but at the same time, that's when I first started lifting. I didn't always have a gym or weights available after the AF so there were years when I didn't, but it was always on my mind. I never had a "sit down" job in my life though. I worked, physically, construction, the rail road, maintenance, all the way up to my last job with Harley Davidson. Never once did I have a job that was to go in and sit my ass down in a chair at a desk. That would have drove me crazy. I really liked helping my electrician buddy. Good honest work, and you're right, it's a lot of up and down on ladders, and squatting down and getting back up.

My lifting now is more to just stay in shape and keep what I have. I know though I can push it and probably could bulk up a bit. I don't think I'm too old not to. After seeing the gains I've made in the last six months, I know it just depends on how hard I want to hit it. And I agree about the 350 and a shitty transmission. I always figured there's two kinds of muscle, the kind you build from working your ass off, and the kind you build from pumping iron. I don't think they're the same.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-21-2019 at 08:51 AM.

21. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Blessed with Good genes and height ...lean...in shape...Light weights for speed...stretching for agility and balance....

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@Gunny Well, I'm always reading and learning about lifting, and recently about importance to not lift the same muscles every day. They need a day off because that's when muscle growth happens. Also that if you want to put on size you really need to push it. You need to lift heavy and completely burn down your muscles to the point where you can't lift any more. There's a word for that state of your muscles but it escapes me right at the moment.

But I'll tell ya, if I was 25 years old again, with the amount of lifting I've done in the last year and half, I'd be starting to look like AHH-nold. But, at 64, it's pretty freakin' hard to pack on size. That's not to say I haven't though because I have. You just have to work twice as hard to get half as much. I can feel it though, and it's pretty obvious this old fuck lifts. Gettin' cut pretty well and getting stronger. Stronger than I thought I'd be able to also. Been adding weight and surprised I can lift it.

Lift for life.