Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default DP Image Hosting

So we all pretty much upload and share images from time to time. And I see that we all have our issues from time to time, whether that is viewing a thread and seeing the "Red X" because someone else's link broke to the image, to accounts with crappy limitations and various other problems. And yes, I know we also already have the option to attach images directly to our posts. But what that does is put the images into a SQL database, and can make the database larger and larger and then slower and slower in opening things.

So I figured lets try OUR OWN image hosting site. It's an entire image hosting site, professional, but will be kept for just us here at DP, to keep the speed for us, and hopefully the bandwidth at a minimum.

This site software allows for a LOT of options while it looks very minimal and is quite easy to use. The embed options after uploading are cool, and lots of them.

You can upload by pointing it to image URL's or by of course the usual way of just uploading images. Initially I have set it to a 5MB maximum per picture with 5 pictures being allowed to be uploaded simultaneously. A member MUST still create a new account on the site in order to upload. You can create albums as well and upload and organize your photos. Just as good as some of the other hosting sites out there, but just for US and I will try my best to do just that and limit it to just us!

Create an account, test it out and start using it, let me know what you think, ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer and figure things out, and we'll all learn together as we go along! I know the header images and what not suck, I rushed to get it going and will slowly go back and make the settings all optimized and hopefully make it look sleeker of course.

Tell me your thoughts!

http://www.dpimagehosting.com/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Test

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    A test post. One of my lucky captures of an Eagle in south Bama. Does this save space, Jim?

Attached Images Attached Images
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

3. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yups!

You didn't post from there though - bet you couldn't figure out the code to post here.

When you 1st upload an image, after it uploads, scroll down to and click on "embed codes", and you want to copy the one for "Full Image" and then "BBCODE" - and copy that code here.

If an image you had posted earlier. select a picture by clicking on upper right corner of it, and then on upper right of page click on "action" and then click on "get embed code" - and same directions from above from there. Click where it says "viewer links" - you want BBCODES - and then the best would be full image.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here's your image over there, posted via those directions:

(really same thing in end, just brings the CPU usage and bandwidth elsewhere)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yups!

You didn't post from there though - bet you couldn't figure out the code to post here.

When you 1st upload an image, after it uploads, scroll down to and click on "embed codes", and you want to copy the one for "Full Image" and then "BBCODE" - and copy that code here.

If an image you had posted earlier. select a picture by clicking on upper right corner of it, and then on upper right of page click on "action" and then click on "get embed code" - and same directions from above from there. Click where it says "viewer links" - you want BBCODES - and then the best would be full image.
    Ok..
    Last edited by Mr. P; 08-30-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is this correct? Great Blue Heron with an itch.

Last edited by Mr. P; 08-30-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: ID added

Above the Best

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

can I use the same profile name and password that I use for the site? When I created the account on image hosting I used the same email, user name and password that I have for the site, I received the email, validated the account but every time I try to log in I'm told I'm not using the proper user name password combination and am denied access.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    can I use the same profile name and password that I use for the site? When I created the account on image hosting I used the same email, user name and password that I have for the site, I received the email, validated the account but every time I try to log in I'm told I'm not using the proper user name password combination and am denied access.
    2 entirely separate - check your PM's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Tried to upload a pic and my file was too big. Doesn't say what the file size limit is, could you let me know, Jim? This looks just like... https://imgbb.com/ I hope @darin can see it...

Anyway, I shrank it by half to 2000x1124 pixles, 2.69MB, and here's a pic I just took of my veteran brother neighbor's 2010 Challenger R/T and my 2017 2SS Camaro...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-30-2018 at 04:17 PM.

13. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I believe 5MB for now.

15. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

It worked! Well done @jimnyc
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I know this might be an extra step for some, depending on their prior methods of sharing photos, if it all. If not for change, you are more than free to continue attaching directly to a post here as always, or your favorite host out there. This is simply in the hopes of helping speed and be proactive about the future, concerning bandwidth, storage & all the other crap.

You can create albums and all that jazz. It's got a ton load of ways to share your photos once uploaded. I can think about increasing the image limitations if folks all agree that limitation of 5MB is too small.

There are other free hosts out there, and they only share about a trillion images. This will be OUR image host and won't be used for the world and no guest image uploading. This should hope keep things smoother for just us.

I'll try to make it more pleasing on the eyes if I can.

Also, some places, as your storage increases and what not, they then want a membership fee. While I do ask that you become a member to keep things limited, there will of course never be any type of fees involved, no hidden agendas here - other than wanting to see if this helps in the long run and that the folks here will enjoy this robust software.

19. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I know this might be an extra step for some, depending on their prior methods of sharing photos, if it all. If not for change, you are more than free to continue attaching directly to a post here as always, or your favorite host out there. This is simply in the hopes of helping speed and be proactive about the future, concerning bandwidth, storage & all the other crap.

You can create albums and all that jazz. It's got a ton load of ways to share your photos once uploaded. I can think about increasing the image limitations if folks all agree that limitation of 5MB is too small.

There are other free hosts out there, and they only share about a trillion images. This will be OUR image host and won't be used for the world and no guest image uploading. This should hope keep things smoother for just us.

I'll try to make it more pleasing on the eyes if I can.

Also, some places, as your storage increases and what not, they then want a membership fee. While I do ask that you become a member to keep things limited, there will of course never be any type of fees involved, no hidden agendas here - other than wanting to see if this helps in the long run and that the folks here will enjoy this robust software.
    I had photo bucket for a while. It became very cumbersome, so I left.

I am not very'techie', more of a hammer-banger, so what is simple pleases me a great deal
    Last edited by Elessar; 08-31-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Jim...thanks for the offer, but..

I personally have approx. 3 GIGS of photos I could share here, if you like.

My P.C. is full of Family, Navy, Political, funny stuff. Up to you if you want me to upload the Thousands, or not.

My server for my website at http://icansayit.com has only about half of what I have.
    Let me know. By the way. My primary source of photos online is Google..Images. Everybody can use those. Just type what you want....it's usually there.
    Last edited by aboutime; 08-31-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I had photo bucket for a while. It became very cumbersome, so I left.

I am not very'techie', more of a hammer-banger, so what is simple pleases me a great deal
    I used Photobucket for a lont time too... until they started CHARGING.

23. Thanks Elessar thanked this post