Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default Salisbury Novichok attack: new war of words.

Here we go again.

The British authorities know Novichok was used in a nerve agent attack in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. They know where it came from. Two suspects responsible for deploying it have been identified, and arrest warrants issued.

STILL, Russia defies any and all moves to hold them to account for their own actions. Responsibility is denied. Anyone speaking out in favour of Russia's evident culpability is, we're told, 'lying'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...py-attack.html

Russia faced a fresh wave of international condemnation over the Salisbury spy poisoning as it claimed Britain was lying about the latest developments in the case.

Moscow was accused of “playing dice” with the lives of people living in the Wiltshire city by the UK during an emergency debate at the United Nations.

The US warned the world should be “chilled to the bone” by the developments set out in recent days.

US President Donald Trump, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron and Canadian PM Justin Trudeau earlier issued a joint statement with Theresa May agreeing with the British assessment that the operation was “almost certainly approved at a senior government level” in Moscow.

On Wednesday, two Russian nationals – Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov – said to be members of Russia’s military intelligence service the GRU, were identified as suspects by police investigating the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal in March.

GCHQ head Jeremy Fleming warned that Russia poses an “active” threat during a speech in Washington.

He called on the international community to reject the Kremlin’s “brazen determination to undermine the international rules-based order”.

But Russia claimed the UK had been “mendacious” and was trying to unleash “disgusting anti-Russian hysteria” during talks at the United Nations.
    So it goes on, with Russia effectively demanding, expecting, impunity in assassinating anyone it chooses, anywhere on the planet.

Such a power, I suggest - unless it reforms - can never be trusted as a responsible player on the international stage !

Should Balu, or any Russian spectator of this forum care to defend their Motherland's murderous ways ... bring it on. Explain to us why Russia must remain immune to accountability for these heinous acts.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-07-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes FakeNewsSux, Kathianne liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Russia? Untrustworthy? Who’d of thunk. I wonder how many murders he would have to commit in America before the opinion polls in the States dropped for Putin.

Despite it all however I was relieved to know at the time that Boris Johnson, when he still held the office of foreign secretary, was leading the charge and fight for Britain during the crisis, and stopping at nothing to hold Russia to task for their murder of British Citizens. Weren’t you?
    Last edited by Noir; 09-08-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    STILL, Russia defies any and all moves to hold them to account for their own actions. Responsibility is denied. Anyone speaking out in favour of Russia's evident culpability is, we're told, 'lying'.
    What's going on in Britain? Is there no free speech there at all? Is Heir Goebbels still alive or what? Does it have something to do with the muslim mayor of London? Putin seems real chummy with the muslims just like Hitler was, and they both have their reasons why.

5. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Russia? Untrustworthy? Who’d of thunk. I wonder how many murders he would have to commit in America before the opinion polls in the States dropped for Putin.

Despite it all however I was relieved to know at the time that Boris Johnson, when he still held the office of foreign secretary, was leading the charge and fight for Britain during the crisis, and stopping at nothing to hold Russia to task for their murder of British Citizens. Weren’t you?
    Admit it. You've been reading the Guardian again, haven't you ?

Better for Americans to comment than myself, but I'd guess that IF Putin is at all popular in America, it'd be because he's a strong leader. But other than that, I struggle to see why they would.

Not sure if sarcasm was your intention in your final paragraph. If it was, it was misguided. For example:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...-a3791951.html

Boris Johnson today said it was “overwhelmingly likely” that Vladimir Putin ordered the Salisbury attack.

Stepping up the accusations against the Kremlin, the Foreign Secretary put the Russian president in the frame for the use of a nerve agent to poison the former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter earlier this month.

Visiting the Battle of Britain Bunker museum in Uxbridge with his Polish counterpart, Mr Johnson said: “Our quarrel is with Putin’s Kremlin, and with his decision — and we think it overwhelmingly likely that it was his decision — to direct the use of a nerve agent on the streets of the UK, on the streets of Europe, for the first time since the Second World War. That is why we are at odds with Russia.”

His words went further than those of Theresa May, who has laid the blame for the attack on Russia but not directly on Mr Putin.
    We did take action, taking the tit-for-tat (as it invariably occurs ..) route of expelling Russian 'diplomats'. And by the way, Trump's own expulsions of them from American soil was impressive, and let me say, folks, very appreciated.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-08-2018 at 05:39 PM.

7. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    What's going on in Britain? Is there no free speech there at all? Is Heir Goebbels still alive or what? Does it have something to do with the muslim mayor of London? Putin seems real chummy with the muslims just like Hitler was, and they both have their reasons why.
    What I meant in my final sentence had nothing to do with British reaction or condemnation, or clamping down on free speech, and everything to do with the near-inevitable hand-wringing denials which emanate from Russia.

That said ... the British Left, in the guise of the Labour Party leader, Jeremy Corbyn, tried to divert culpability away from Putin. Here's an example of his 'spin' ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/581511...ury-poisoning/

JEREMY Corbyn was left isolated last night as he claimed “Mafia-like groups” could have carried out the Salisbury chemical attack.

Mr Corbyn refused to condemn the Kremlin for a third time in four days — as his MPs demanded he axe the spin chief who cast doubt on MI5 evidence.

The Labour leader wrote in The Guardian: “This is not a time for hasty judgments that could lead to a new Cold War.”

He said the Russian state may have “authored” the atrocity — but said “Russian Mafia-like groups allowed to gain a toehold in Britain cannot be excluded”.

He added: “Russian authorities must be held to account on the basis of the evidence.

"Our response must be decisive and proportionate.

“But let’s not manufacture division over Russia where none exists.”
    Sky News found 18 per cent of voters back Mr Corbyn over the attack — and 69 per cent the PM.
    Corbyn was trying to hold out on judging conclusively against Putin short of absolute evidence of his part in the attack.

JEREMY Corbyn sparked uproar this week with his repeated failure to condemn Vladimir Putin for the Sergei Skripal poisoning - but it should be no surprise given the Labour leader and his top team’s close links to Russia...

Mr Corbyn has often blamed anyone other than Russia when it comes to aggression by Moscow, usually directing his ire towards Nato, which he said was “the father of the Cold War”. In 2015 he also blamed the violence in the Crimea on the west, saying: “I am not condoning what Russia has done and is doing [in Ukraine].“But everything has an equal and opposite reaction and so the more you build up Nato forces, the more of an excuse the Russians have.” In 2014, as Russia invaded the Crimea Mr Corbyn wrote in an article for the communist newspaper the Morning Star saying Putin’s actions were “not unprovoked”.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-08-2018 at 05:53 PM.

9. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Admit it. You've been reading the Guardian again, haven't you ?
    I don’t read the guardian.

Better for Americans to comment than myself, but I'd guess that IF Putin is at all popular in America, it'd be because he's a strong leader. But other than that, I struggle to see why they would.
    Putins popularity has been well documented.

Not sure if sarcasm was your intention in your final paragraph. If it was, it was misguided. For example:
    Do you remember what Boris was doing during the Salisbury COBRA meeting?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Why not?

With who? Link?

Can you answer a question with something other than a question?

12. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Why not ?

OK. The Daily Mirror, then ? The Morning Star ??

I echo High Plains Drifter's question. Provide evidence of this assertion.

No. So why not enlighten us ? Providing, if it's a matter of doing so, proper context for whatever your reply is, of course.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Putin is not popular in the US. He was popular with some of us for punking out Barrack Obama. That should tell you how much Obama was hated that some of us would actually think our President being punked by a Russian President was funny.

That is one event, several years ago. In the big picture (d0 try to keep up) Putin is a threat on the international stage to anyone that stands in his way.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

15. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Why not ?
    Why would I want to read it?

I echo High Plains Drifter's question. Provide evidence of this assertion.
    Attached Pew Statistics, Republican approval as high as 25%, a big improvement on a few years ago, and just generally way too high I’m sure you’d agree.

EB7FFDB6-5574-4CEC-A284-96DD51E9634C.png

No. So why not enlighten us ? Providing, if it's a matter of doing so, proper context for whatever your reply is, of course.
    He arranged a photo shoot, and chose to attend the photo shoot rather than attended the Cobra meeting.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-09-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Attached Pew Statistics, Republican approval as high as 25%, a big improvement on a few years ago, and just generally way too high I’m sure you’d agree.

He arranged a photo shoot, and chose to attend the photo shoot rather than attended the Cobra meeting.
    Do you ever read what you post? What do you suppose US adults polled know about Vladimir Putin besides what the US media tells them? Do you know how often Putin is NOT in the news here? Generally, not much at all. Basically, he's out of sight out of mind to most Americans and they like it that way.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Do you ever read what you post? What do you suppose US adults polled know about Vladimir Putin besides what the US media tells them? Do you know how often Putin is NOT in the news here? Generally, not much at all. Basically, he's out of sight out of mind to most Americans and they like it that way.
    ... although, to be fair, American news tends to dominate news coverage anyway. I've visited New York several times, listened to the news broadcasts ... WINS News was always my favourite ... and it was always the same.

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Why, to get your doses of propaganda, of course !! Lefties don't view and REview reality as it unfolds, minus any attempt at filtering. Always, you need the necessary spin given to you in order to see things in the 'correct' way.

So I'm asking again. If not the Guardian, what IS your source of 'news' .. ? It has to be something pro-Leftie ... and the Mirror and Morning Star fit, in the absence of any other suggestions.

A mere 25 percent ?

So you want me to think you're making a serious point ??

1. Was he invited to that particular invoking of COBRA ? (COBRA meetings, as we both should know, aren't at all regular, and are only called in time of emergency)

2. What 'photo shoot' ?

3. I asked you to provide explanatory context. Where is it ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

... although, to be fair, American news tends to dominate news coverage anyway. I've visited New York several times, listened to the news broadcasts ... WINS News was always my favourite ... and it was always the same.
    That, I'll take your word for. I am on the inside looking out so have no way to judge it.

When I want international news, I generally go to the BBC or Jerusalem Post just to get an outside POV since what we get is the standard "Putin slept here", 2-3 line paragraph as it takes up space otherwise used for trashing President Trump.

I took 4 years of journalism; therefore, I take ALL journalism with a grain of salt

As far as the topic goes, it seems to me Noir wants to deflect from the topic by dragging the US into the fray which is a UK - Russian affair. If I recall correctly, The President of the United States said we support the UK in the matter. Doesn't matter what some poll Noir dredged up states. That is our official stance.

23. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Why, to get your doses of propaganda, of course !! Lefties don't view and REview reality as it unfolds, minus any attempt at filtering. Always, you need the necessary spin given to you in order to see things in the 'correct' way.

So I'm asking again. If not the Guardian, what IS your source of 'news' .. ? It has to be something pro-Leftie ... and the Mirror and Morning Star fit, in the absence of any other suggestions.
    I don’t buy any newspapers, when I have some spare change at an airport etc i’d buy ‘The Week’. I most news print is just commentary so I’m not much interested in that.

A mere 25 percent ?

So you want me to think you're making a serious point ??😏
    If you don’t think that’s outrageously high, fair enough, personally I think the 9% favourability from dem/ dem leaning is way too high.

1. Was he invited to that particular invoking of COBRA ? (COBRA meetings, as we both should know, aren't at all regular, and are only called in time of emergency)

2. What 'photo shoot' ?

3. I asked you to provide explanatory context. Where is it ?
    Yeah the Foreign Secretary probably wasn’t invited, the attempted murders would probably of been more in the remit of the Housing Development Minister.

Regarding the rest - I don’t know what more you want, he was the foreign secretary, he arranged a private photo shoot for portraits, rather than attend the cobra meeting.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-10-2018 at 01:23 AM.