Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Happy 71st Birthday to the United States Air Force

Don't really care what kind of liberal kiddy camp it's turning into, I had a good time in the Force, and I'd do it all over again in a hearth beat... but I'd be an officer.

In any case, Sept. 18th, 2018, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the AIR FORCE!!

2. Thanks Drummond, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes! Happy Birthday Fly Guys and Gals!

In charge of Search and Rescue planning and dispatch within the continental
    land, share the coast line up to 5 miles out with the USCG. Assist with long range
    SAR using PJ's.

Great Team we have!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

No offense to anyone who has served in the AF, but today's AF is about as useless as a poopy flavored lollipop. In this day of drones and naval fighters capable of reaching any location in the world, it is really just an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy.

That is NOT saying that the people who serve in the AF aren't just as brave and dedicated as those of any other branch, they are, that's just to say they could be folded into the Navy and the soon to come Space Force and an entire level of Generals and their staffs could be eliminated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    No offense to anyone who has served in the AF, but today's AF is about as useless as a poopy flavored lollipop. In this day of drones and naval fighters capable of reaching any location in the world, it is really just an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy.

That is NOT saying that the people who serve in the AF aren't just as brave and dedicated as those of any other branch, they are, that's just to say they could be folded into the Navy and the soon to come Space Force and an entire level of Generals and their staffs could be eliminated.
    No offense... but BULL SHIT.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    No offense... but BULL SHIT.

Tell me one thing the Air Force does that couldn't be done by the Navy.............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

No offense my hiney-hole!
    Have you EVER worked with them? They will launch assets in minutes where it takes the Navy an hour.
    USAF provides 24/7 security for the nation. Squadrons are on stand-by alert all across the continent.

Navy, though I like them, does not have that capability.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Have you EVER worked with them? They will launch assets in minutes where it takes the Navy an hour.
    USAF provides 24/7 security for the nation. Squadrons are on stand-by alert all across the continent.

Really? LOL Come on bro. There are naval stations in Ca and in Fla , from those two stations naval fighters could protect the entire continental US, and no they don't hours to launch assets when needed.

I'm not even saying get rid of AF personnel, obviously if you transfer responsibilities to the navy they will need more resources to handle the extra work load, makes sense for those resources to be the people and equipment already handling those responsibilities. But without the added bearacracy of an etire branch of the military.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Really? LOL Come on bro. There are naval stations in Ca and in Fla , from those two stations naval fighters could protect the entire continental US, and no they don't hours to launch assets when needed.

I'm not even saying get rid of AF personnel, obviously if you transfer responsibilities to the navy they will need more resources to handle the extra work load, makes sense for those resources to be the people and equipment already handling those responsibilities. But without the added bearacracy of an etire branch of the military.
    I could be off base here - but just a base on each coast? I know the fighters are quick once moving to protect assets and what not, but what if they needed to get to Minnesota for example?

For an F-15 to take that trip to intercept for example - a little less than an hour, at approx 2.5 speed of sound.

I think you can get a SR71 there much much faster, but not a practical aircraft, I don't think, not for protection and interceptions.

2 F15's were finally ordered INTO the air on 9/11 at 8:46am when the first tower fell. They said with startup process and what not they were actually in the air at 8:53am. The North tower has now been struck as well. They arrived in Manhattan air space at approximately 9:25am. Now they DID go to Long Island, delayed for some planes to clear, then off to Manhattan. The said they used the after burners, as one pilot said he had a bad feeling about the hijackings. Those fighters originated from Massachusetts. I think responses from either Florida or Cali would have obviously been much longer. I'm of the belief of having MORE stations than the few they have now, so that all corners of our nation can be reached in an equally quick response time. The F-15's were still ultimately 20 minutes away from Manhattan when flight 175 hit the WTC. At that time, fighters were also ordered up from Langley, even though they apparently didn't know if the 3rd or 4th hijackings yet, I believe.

At 9:24 Langley ordered them up, and they were in the air at 9:30. Granted, shit was confusing, but they arrived in Washington at 10am, and that's from Langley! The next Jet hit the Pentagon at 9:37am, but the Jets were still 150 miles away.

There was a lot of confusion and craziness that also delayed things that day. But in addition, they just can't get from coast to coast in an instant, nor even in the same states or neighboring states instantly. I'm also no expert on exactly where and whom flied all the jets that day, I'm only pointing out the delays that were involved in getting to places to intercept. I think if we only had 2 bases for jets to take off from, while everywhere reachable, the time constraints to get to some airspaces would take a pretty long time.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Tell me one thing the Air Force does that couldn't be done by the Navy.............
    Sorry, but your premise is just too nonsensical to argue. To argue a water based service dedicated to the sea can do anything and everything that a land based service dedicated to the sky can do is just ludicrous. The Navy and Coast Guard take care of the seas, the Army and Marines take care of the land, and the Air Force takes care of the skies, three specialized and very different missions. It would make far more sense to combine the Army and the Marines or the Navy and the Coast Guard than any of the others with the Air Force.

You've eluded to being in the military... I'm finding that very hard to believe, or you'd know better than to suggest such a daft idea.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-20-2018 at 01:00 AM.

12. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I could be off base here - but just a base on each coast? I know the fighters are quick once moving to protect assets and what not, but what if they needed to get to Minnesota for example?

For an F-15 to take that trip to intercept for example - a little less than an hour, at approx 2.5 speed of sound.

I think you can get a SR71 there much much faster, but not a practical aircraft, I don't think, not for protection and interceptions.

2 F15's were finally ordered INTO the air on 9/11 at 8:46am when the first tower fell. They said with startup process and what not they were actually in the air at 8:53am. The North tower has now been struck as well. They arrived in Manhattan air space at approximately 9:25am. Now they DID go to Long Island, delayed for some planes to clear, then off to Manhattan. The said they used the after burners, as one pilot said he had a bad feeling about the hijackings. Those fighters originated from Massachusetts. I think responses from either Florida or Cali would have obviously been much longer. I'm of the belief of having MORE stations than the few they have now, so that all corners of our nation can be reached in an equally quick response time. The F-15's were still ultimately 20 minutes away from Manhattan when flight 175 hit the WTC. At that time, fighters were also ordered up from Langley, even though they apparently didn't know if the 3rd or 4th hijackings yet, I believe.

At 9:24 Langley ordered them up, and they were in the air at 9:30. Granted, shit was confusing, but they arrived in Washington at 10am, and that's from Langley! The next Jet hit the Pentagon at 9:37am, but the Jets were still 150 miles away.

There was a lot of confusion and craziness that also delayed things that day. But in addition, they just can't get from coast to coast in an instant, nor even in the same states or neighboring states instantly. I'm also no expert on exactly where and whom flied all the jets that day, I'm only pointing out the delays that were involved in getting to places to intercept. I think if we only had 2 bases for jets to take off from, while everywhere reachable, the time constraints to get to some airspaces would take a pretty long time.
    Things have advanced considerably since 9/11 in terms of coordination and communication. Truthfully, we didn't take protecting the homeland seriously before that day. The AF or Navy would be on station much quicker than we saw on that day.

My "two bases" was just an example. There are actually 40 naval bases in the contintental US, and furthermore, IF the AF were done away with as an organization that wouldn't mean their existing bases would all be closed down, they wouldn't all be, many of them would simply be transferred to the Navy and continue in their current role.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Sorry, but your premise is just too nonsensical to argue. To argue a water based service dedicated to the sea can do anything and everything that a land based service dedicated to the sky can do is just ludicrous. The Navy and Coast Guard take care of the seas, the Army and Marines take care of the land, and the Air Force takes care of the skies, three specialized and very different missions. It would make far more sense to combine the Army and the Marines or the Navy and the Coast Guard than any of the others with the Air Force.

You've eluded to being in the military... I'm finding that very hard to believe, or you'd know better than to suggest such a daft idea.
    LOL How dare you question my service because I disagree with you on a topic.

Now I remember why I stayed away from this board for so long.

See yall around

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

LOL How dare you question my service because I disagree with you on a topic.

Now I remember why I stayed away from this board for so long.

See yall around
    I told you why. It doesn't to me like you have any military knowledge, which should come from military experience.

And if my opinion is too much for your delicate little self to handle then... bye.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-20-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Things have advanced considerably since 9/11 in terms of coordination and communication. Truthfully, we didn't take protecting the homeland seriously before that day. The AF or Navy would be on station much quicker than we saw on that day.

My "two bases" was just an example. There are actually 40 naval bases in the contintental US, and furthermore, IF the AF were done away with as an organization that wouldn't mean their existing bases would all be closed down, they wouldn't all be, many of them would simply be transferred to the Navy and continue in their current role.
    Perhaps you should read the National Search and Rescue Plan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...nd_Rescue_Plan

Read NORAD Treaty as well: http://www.norad.mil/

Pretty stupid to try and lecture someone who worked with ALL branches for years.
    Last edited by Elessar; 09-20-2018 at 04:28 PM.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Want to hear from a Navy guy here?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

For everyone's information. The NAVY has aircraft flying 24/7. How do I know? I live less than 2 miles from OCEANA NAVAL MASTER JET BASE, in Virginia Beach, Va.
    Naval Air Station Norfolk has rotational aircraft "EARLY WARNING" aircraft aloft...every second of every year.
    As for fighter aircraft. Yes, Langley has intercept aircraft on standby 24/7, but...They are ALERTED by NAVY E-2 Hawkeye's, who forward radar, and tactical data to Ground Air Facilities you may have seen, that look like the Disney EPCOT ball.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northr...an_E-2_Hawkeye

E-2A and E-2B Hawkeye
    In 1956, the U.S. Navy developed a requirement for an airborne early warning aircraft where its data could be integrated into the Naval Tactical Data System aboard the Navy's ships, with a design from Grumman being selected to meet this requirement in March 1957.[4] Its design, initially designated W2F-1, but later redesignated the E-2A Hawkeye, was the first carrier plane that had been designed from its wheels up as an AEW and command and control airplane. The problems facing the design engineers at Grumman were immense, and were compounded by having to constrain the design to enable the aircraft to operate from the older modified Essex-class aircraft carriers. These ‘smaller’ carriers were built during World War II and later modified to allow them to operate jet aircraft. Consequently, various height, weight and length restrictions had to be factored into the E-2A design, resulting in some handling characteristics which were less than ideal. The E-2A actually never operated from the modified Essex class carriers.

Without the Early Warning Aircraft..the AIR FORCE would have no targeting.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !