Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Vitamin B12 shots? --- L-Methylfolate

Ok, so I've heard a million times during my life about people going to the doctor to get a vitamin B12 shot. Never fully understood nor did I care.

Long story short, no need for back discussion and why... but I DID NOT get this shot. My doctor DID explain to me about folks going to go get them, and why and what not.

We then went on to the next one, the L-Methylfolate. Now this one is more or less what you already. It's naturally produced by your body. You also get it with a lot of different foods and some green vegetables. But instead of the natural way, in this manner you are getting some sort of pre-cursor of the B12.... I'm sure you have seen the 'folic acid' and various other folic and folate things listed in ingredients.

So now, when they add this L crap instead of a B12 shot, it helps with people already taking an anti-depressant which I already do. He said you can look at it like a booster of sorts, and it may assist further with the original medication, and simply help more. But also said, it helps with energy and focus and what not.

Well, the man wasn't lying. Today is the 4th day of taking the medication when I first awake. And every day, about 45 minutes or so after taking it, it feels like you get a HUGE HUGE burst of energy. If anything, maybe too much, so I'm hoping that if using it, that maybe after a week or so the 'overwhelming' portion of it will subside. If not, maybe a lower dosage if possible? Either way by then it will be time to check in with the doc anyway.

In those 4 days I have gotten a TON load of stuff done with the new found energy. The focus isn't 100% there, but hoping with a little more time on that too.

The brand name of this medication is "Deplin". I think the generic is "Cerefolin". And he says its very expensive. BUT - that if it helps, he'll show me how to get it from Amazon!? This is listed as "medical food" - so you don't need a script unless you are actually getting the "Deplin".
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Nothing wrong with B-12.

Following my recuperation after my heart attack. My doctor prescribed B-12 in tablet form. I've been taking them every day since. And yes. I found I wasn't as sleepy during the day, and felt more like staying active...looking for things to do. IMO...it doesn't hurt. And, if the doc says stop. I will. Different strokes, for different folks...as they say!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

4. Thanks jimnyc, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Following my recuperation after my heart attack. My doctor prescribed B-12 in tablet form. I've been taking them every day since. And yes. I found I wasn't as sleepy during the day, and felt more like staying active...looking for things to do. IMO...it doesn't hurt. And, if the doc says stop. I will. Different strokes, for different folks...as they say!
    Yeah, no doubt your doc wouldn't have given it to you if it were a heart risk. It's simply something that the body produces, but the tablets will help with dopamine and serotonin - and things that some of us don't always produce appropriately.

Did you have any issues falling asleep at night though, as a result of the extra energy?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Can't really tell Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yeah, no doubt your doc wouldn't have given it to you if it were a heart risk. It's simply something that the body produces, but the tablets will help with dopamine and serotonin - and things that some of us don't always produce appropriately.

Did you have any issues falling asleep at night though, as a result of the extra energy?

My doctor also prescribed "Melatonin". The body naturally produces it, but my other meds...(I take 12 all together) AM & PM seem to work against sleep. We also used prescribed "Tamazapam". That's expensive over the counter, but it has to be prescribed.
    The B-12 does help not getting sleepy all the time. Old farts like to sleep when we get Tired of being ReTired????
    So, this is for them.

8. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

My doctor also prescribed "Melatonin". The body naturally produces it, but my other meds...(I take 12 all together) AM & PM seem to work against sleep. We also used prescribed "Tamazapam". That's expensive over the counter, but it has to be prescribed.
    The B-12 does help not getting sleepy all the time. Old farts like to sleep when we get Tired of being ReTired????
    I already take xanax, and then another medication for assistance in sleeping. But since I started this Deplin stuff, I had to take a little more to sleep, as I still didn't feel much sleepy at all on my regular schedule.

10. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I did some reading on B12 and Folic Acid deficiencies quite some time ago.

There's a whole spectrum of different forms of 'B' vitamin, and each work in different ways.

There's folic acid anaemia (forgive the British spelling) deficiency ... and there's B12 anaemia deficiency. It's important to treat each type with the right 'B' vitamin.

Someone suffering from chronic B12 deficiency can APPARENTLY be treated with folic acid, but not indefinitely. Folic acid would give a boost for a considerable period (up to seven years) if B12 deficiency was involved, but ultimately the nerve damage done from lack of B12 would make itself felt.

Once the damage is done, it can't be repaired. Anyone in that situation is stuck with permanent pain. Folic acid can mask symptoms, but as their cause isn't being treated with B12, the masking effect eventually fails.

So I'm wondering if this boost in energy is the difference between an anaemic state, and the levels of energy the rest of us have, normally ?

What's important is to have the fact, and the level, of anaemia determined ... AND ... once identified, treated with the correct form of 'B' vitamin.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...emia#treatment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerefolin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency

The presence of peripheral sensory-motor symptoms or subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord strongly suggests the presence of a B12 deficiency instead of folate deficiency. Methylmalonic acid, if not properly handled by B12, remains in the myelin sheath, causing fragility. Dementia and depression have been associated with this deficiency as well, possibly from the under-production of methionine because of the inability to convert homocysteine into this product.
    The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has found that "Large amounts of folic acid can mask the damaging effects of vitamin B12 deficiency by correcting the megaloblastic anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency without correcting the neurological damage that also occurs", there are also indications that "high serum folate levels might not only mask vitamin B12 deficiency, but could also exacerbate the anemia and worsen the cognitive symptoms associated with vitamin B12 deficiency"
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

12. Likes jimnyc, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Excellent research, Drummond!! And thank you!!

Some folks have a deficiency in some B levels and that's why they may get a shot, or take a preferred medication, to make up for it.

In my case, I take an anti-depressant for quite some time now. A long story on how they work, but they too work on the dopamine and serotonin levels on someone like myself, and helps make us feel "normal".

And then now with the L-methylfolate, what it does is work in tandem with the anti-depressant somehow, so I'm told.

Good, I tried to retrieve the Wall Street Journal article that my doctor printed out for me, but you need to be a member or pay for the access to their site. Dirty bastards. But I found another site now, that apparently quotes the entire article.

----

Could a vitamin make antidepressants work better?

• THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    • HEALTH JOURNAL
    • JANUARY 3, 2012
    Giving Antidepressants a Boost With a Vitamin

Deplin, a Prescription Form of Folate, Is Increasingly Used for Patients With Resistant Cases of Depression
    • By MELINDA BECK

That’s the tantalizing premise behind Deplin, a prescription form of the B-vitamin folate. Although it has been on the market since 2006, Deplin is generating growing buzz at psychiatric conferences and among clinicians and patients, particularly those who haven’t responded to antidepressants or did for a while only to have their depression return.

“Many of the patients I put on Deplin come back and say, ‘Wow, my medication is working again’ or ‘Hey, doc, this medicine never worked this well before,’ ” says psychiatrist Thor Bergersen, who practices in Needham, Mass., and New York City.

It’s long been known that folate—found naturally in green, leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts and some fruits—is important for cell growth and brain function. How and why is now becoming clearer. Recent research has found that the body converts folate (and folic acid, the synthetic version) into an active form called L-methylfolate, which is needed to produce serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, three neurotransmitters that are critical in regulating mood.

Trial and Error

For many patients, treating depression involves trying multiple drugs over a long period of time.
    • Nearly 20 million people in the U.S. suffer depression during their lifetime.
    •11% of Americans over age 12 take antidepressants.
    • Only 30% get well on the first antidepressant alone.
    • Up to 50% of patients never reach remission.
    • People with low folate levels are six times as likely to fail to respond to antidepressants as those with normal levels.
    Sources: CDC; NIMH; Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology

Aging, illness, genetics, poor nutrition, excess alcohol consumption and some medications can all reduce L-methylfolate levels, leaving those neurotransmitters in short supply, some researchers say. While many popular antidepressants slow the “reuptake” of serotonin or norepinephrine, making them available longer to the brain, such drugs may not work for long or at all if the brain isn’t producing sufficient quantities of the neurotransmitters in the first place, some experts theorize.

“This is a totally new way to look at depression. We may be getting at the very foundation of why many people never achieve a full remission,” says John Zajecka, director of the Depression Treatment & Research Center at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. Dr. Zajecka has helped investigate Deplin and is on the speakers bureau for its maker, Pamlab LLC, of Covington, La.

Pamlab officials say that Deplin, which contains L-methylfolate, can directly supply what some people need to make sufficient quantities of neurotransmitters that regulate mood. And it does so more efficiently than taking extra folic acid, which still needs to be converted, they say.

As convincing as that sounds, clinical evidence is limited. Pamlab, which currently has the market to itself, sells Deplin as a “medical food,” a category that isn’t held to the same standards the Food and Drug Administration demands of new drugs. Medical foods are intended to provide dietary management for a disease or condition; all ingredients must be “generally recognized as safe” and physician supervision is required.

Nearly 30,000 clinicians have prescribed Deplin in the past three years, according to Pamlab, and monthly prescriptions grew 31% to nearly 39,000 in October from January 2011. Still, that’s a tiny fraction of the more than 20 million prescriptions for antidepressants every month in the U.S.

Just two randomized, placebo-controlled trials have evaluated Deplin, with a total of 223 subjects. Both were supported by Pamlab. In one study, presented at the American Psychiatric Association’s meeting in May, 75 depressed patients were randomly assigned to take either 15 milligrams of Deplin or a placebo along with an antidepressant. After 30 days, 32% of subjects on Deplin had responded, compared with 15% on the placebo. However, an earlier study using a lower dose of Deplin found no difference with a placebo. Subjects reported no more side effects with Deplin than with the placebo in either trial.

About Folate

• Folate, a B vitamin found naturally in some foods, is needed to maintain cell growth and brain function. Deficiencies are associated with depression, certain types of anemia and birth defects. Poor diet, aging, illness, alcoholism and some medications can lower folate levels.

• Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, found in supplements and used to fortify grains.

• L-methylfolate, the active form of folate, helps produce the neurotransmitters critical to regulating mood. About 50% of Americans have genetic variations that reduce their ability to create L-methylfolate, which may raise their risk of depression.

Sources: CNS Spectrum; WSJ reporting

The biggest gripe with Deplin is the cost: One month’s supply of Deplin, either at 7.5 milligrams or 15 milligrams, can cost as much as $98 and not all insurers cover it. Pamlab has a licensed generic version called simply L-Methylfolate that went on the market in August and is priced somewhat lower. More insurers are covering that version, some with copayments as low as $20, says Pamlab, which also makes medical foods for managing other conditions, including asthma.

Pamlab officials say they hope eventually to win FDA approval for Deplin as a prescription drug. The company says it plans to start Phase II trials later this year; one branch of the trials will assess whether Deplin could effectively treat depression on its own.

Researchers also hope to determine which patients would benefit most from Deplin, to cut down on the frustrating trial-and-error process many people face in finding an effective antidepressant. One target could be people who have a genetic variation that reduces their ability to make L-methylfolate. Roughly 30% of the U.S. population has one abnormal copy of the gene known as MTHFR 677, and 12% has two abnormal copies, giving them less than one-third of the typical amount of L-methylfolate, researchers say.

But some people who had two normal copies of the MTHFR gene also responded well to Deplin, “so there are clearly other factors involved as well,” says Harold Koch, Pamlab’s chief scientific officer.

Despite the uncertainties, some clinicians say they are comfortable prescribing Deplin. “I have had people write me thank-you notes because it’s given them a boost of energy and happiness,” says Judy Paley, an internist in Denver, Colo.

“My patients who have responded are not people who are suggestible. They’ve been trying different medications for years,” says Andres San Martin, a Manhattan psychiatrist who specializes in treating resistant depression.

Other experts are more cautious. “It doesn’t appear to have a lot of downsides, but sometimes it takes a few years of use to recognize them,” says Ken Duckworth, medical director of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, an education and advocacy group. Dr. Duckworth also urges patients with resistant depression to try cognitive-behavioral therapy, aerobic exercise and substance-abuse programs, all of which have clear evidence of effectiveness. “And remember there is no silver bullet,” he says.

https://tmsbraincare.com/vitamin-mak...s-work-better/

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Excellent research, Drummond!! And thank you!!

Some folks have a deficiency in some B levels and that's why they may get a shot, or take a preferred medication, to make up for it.

In my case, I take an anti-depressant for quite some time now. A long story on how they work, but they too work on the dopamine and serotonin levels on someone like myself, and helps make us feel "normal".

And then now with the L-methylfolate, what it does is work in tandem with the anti-depressant somehow, so I'm told.

Good, I tried to retrieve the Wall Street Journal article that my doctor printed out for me, but you need to be a member or pay for the access to their site. Dirty bastards. But I found another site now, that apparently quotes the entire article.

----

Could a vitamin make antidepressants work better?

• THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    • HEALTH JOURNAL
    • JANUARY 3, 2012
    Giving Antidepressants a Boost With a Vitamin

Deplin, a Prescription Form of Folate, Is Increasingly Used for Patients With Resistant Cases of Depression
    • By MELINDA BECK

That’s the tantalizing premise behind Deplin, a prescription form of the B-vitamin folate. Although it has been on the market since 2006, Deplin is generating growing buzz at psychiatric conferences and among clinicians and patients, particularly those who haven’t responded to antidepressants or did for a while only to have their depression return.

“Many of the patients I put on Deplin come back and say, ‘Wow, my medication is working again’ or ‘Hey, doc, this medicine never worked this well before,’ ” says psychiatrist Thor Bergersen, who practices in Needham, Mass., and New York City.

It’s long been known that folate—found naturally in green, leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts and some fruits—is important for cell growth and brain function. How and why is now becoming clearer. Recent research has found that the body converts folate (and folic acid, the synthetic version) into an active form called L-methylfolate, which is needed to produce serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, three neurotransmitters that are critical in regulating mood.

Trial and Error

For many patients, treating depression involves trying multiple drugs over a long period of time.
    • Nearly 20 million people in the U.S. suffer depression during their lifetime.
    •11% of Americans over age 12 take antidepressants.
    • Only 30% get well on the first antidepressant alone.
    • Up to 50% of patients never reach remission.
    • People with low folate levels are six times as likely to fail to respond to antidepressants as those with normal levels.
    Sources: CDC; NIMH; Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology

Aging, illness, genetics, poor nutrition, excess alcohol consumption and some medications can all reduce L-methylfolate levels, leaving those neurotransmitters in short supply, some researchers say. While many popular antidepressants slow the “reuptake” of serotonin or norepinephrine, making them available longer to the brain, such drugs may not work for long or at all if the brain isn’t producing sufficient quantities of the neurotransmitters in the first place, some experts theorize.

“This is a totally new way to look at depression. We may be getting at the very foundation of why many people never achieve a full remission,” says John Zajecka, director of the Depression Treatment & Research Center at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. Dr. Zajecka has helped investigate Deplin and is on the speakers bureau for its maker, Pamlab LLC, of Covington, La.

Pamlab officials say that Deplin, which contains L-methylfolate, can directly supply what some people need to make sufficient quantities of neurotransmitters that regulate mood. And it does so more efficiently than taking extra folic acid, which still needs to be converted, they say.

As convincing as that sounds, clinical evidence is limited. Pamlab, which currently has the market to itself, sells Deplin as a “medical food,” a category that isn’t held to the same standards the Food and Drug Administration demands of new drugs. Medical foods are intended to provide dietary management for a disease or condition; all ingredients must be “generally recognized as safe” and physician supervision is required.

Nearly 30,000 clinicians have prescribed Deplin in the past three years, according to Pamlab, and monthly prescriptions grew 31% to nearly 39,000 in October from January 2011. Still, that’s a tiny fraction of the more than 20 million prescriptions for antidepressants every month in the U.S.

Just two randomized, placebo-controlled trials have evaluated Deplin, with a total of 223 subjects. Both were supported by Pamlab. In one study, presented at the American Psychiatric Association’s meeting in May, 75 depressed patients were randomly assigned to take either 15 milligrams of Deplin or a placebo along with an antidepressant. After 30 days, 32% of subjects on Deplin had responded, compared with 15% on the placebo. However, an earlier study using a lower dose of Deplin found no difference with a placebo. Subjects reported no more side effects with Deplin than with the placebo in either trial.

About Folate

• Folate, a B vitamin found naturally in some foods, is needed to maintain cell growth and brain function. Deficiencies are associated with depression, certain types of anemia and birth defects. Poor diet, aging, illness, alcoholism and some medications can lower folate levels.

• Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, found in supplements and used to fortify grains.

• L-methylfolate, the active form of folate, helps produce the neurotransmitters critical to regulating mood. About 50% of Americans have genetic variations that reduce their ability to create L-methylfolate, which may raise their risk of depression.

Sources: CNS Spectrum; WSJ reporting

The biggest gripe with Deplin is the cost: One month’s supply of Deplin, either at 7.5 milligrams or 15 milligrams, can cost as much as $98 and not all insurers cover it. Pamlab has a licensed generic version called simply L-Methylfolate that went on the market in August and is priced somewhat lower. More insurers are covering that version, some with copayments as low as $20, says Pamlab, which also makes medical foods for managing other conditions, including asthma.

Pamlab officials say they hope eventually to win FDA approval for Deplin as a prescription drug. The company says it plans to start Phase II trials later this year; one branch of the trials will assess whether Deplin could effectively treat depression on its own.

Researchers also hope to determine which patients would benefit most from Deplin, to cut down on the frustrating trial-and-error process many people face in finding an effective antidepressant. One target could be people who have a genetic variation that reduces their ability to make L-methylfolate. Roughly 30% of the U.S. population has one abnormal copy of the gene known as MTHFR 677, and 12% has two abnormal copies, giving them less than one-third of the typical amount of L-methylfolate, researchers say.

But some people who had two normal copies of the MTHFR gene also responded well to Deplin, “so there are clearly other factors involved as well,” says Harold Koch, Pamlab’s chief scientific officer.

Despite the uncertainties, some clinicians say they are comfortable prescribing Deplin. “I have had people write me thank-you notes because it’s given them a boost of energy and happiness,” says Judy Paley, an internist in Denver, Colo.

“My patients who have responded are not people who are suggestible. They’ve been trying different medications for years,” says Andres San Martin, a Manhattan psychiatrist who specializes in treating resistant depression.

Other experts are more cautious. “It doesn’t appear to have a lot of downsides, but sometimes it takes a few years of use to recognize them,” says Ken Duckworth, medical director of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, an education and advocacy group. Dr. Duckworth also urges patients with resistant depression to try cognitive-behavioral therapy, aerobic exercise and substance-abuse programs, all of which have clear evidence of effectiveness. “And remember there is no silver bullet,” he says.

https://tmsbraincare.com/vitamin-mak...s-work-better/
    Interesting material.

So long as the cause of depression is correctly identified, and treated with the right antidote, then of course, the problem is solved. The potential problem with treating depression with 'B' dependent therapy is in getting the right one for the condition. If a lack of the correct vitamin is the cause, then you'd need to be sure that all potential deficiency conditions possible from it are guarded against, or treated, with the right form of vitamin.

I think I read that Deplin is primarily a giver of folic acid (B9) but also contains some B12 ?

Anyway, I dug this out ... looks to be more to the point, and suggests a synergistic effect is gained from combining Deplin with specific anti-depressants:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...epression.html

Deplin, a derivative of folate (vitamin B9), is proving to be a powerful weapon in the treatment of depression.

Folate fuels the synthesis of key brain chemical messengers, like serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Shortages of these chemicals are implicated in major depression and other psychiatric disorders. That’s why folate deficiency is linked with depression – and why folate supplements help many depressed people.

The trouble is that many individuals can’t properly convert folate to the form called L-methylfolate, which is able to pass through the “blood-brain barrier” and enter the central nervous system. For millions of people, ingesting plain folate won’t do any good, because it can't get through to the brain.

Classified as a “medical food” rather than a drug, Deplin is essentially folate that has already been converted to L-methylfolate, so it can automatically be used to create serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain.

Recent data show that combining Deplin with a serotonin reuptake inhibitor – like Zoloft or Prozac or Paxil – more than doubles the response rate to the antidepressant. What’s more, the combination of Deplin and the antidepressant yields 84 percent greater improvement in symptoms compared with the antidepressant alone.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-25-2018 at 08:16 PM.

16. Likes jimnyc, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's exactly it, Drummond, you nailed it. The one I have is the Cerefolin, I think it's the generic of Deplin perhaps, not 100% sure. But like I said, the great part is, that I can get it from Amazon if it turns out to be something that works. For now he gave me a bunch of free trial packs.

It definitely, for sure, not only gives me a boost of energy, but along with that comes a boost in the desire to do things and being more positive.

Usually I'm up, and down and up and down. A fair amount of depression in there. And the hypomania sometimes occurs at night, causing issues with me being able to either fall asleep or remain asleep. So it will be interesting over a period of time to see if this helps.

18. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

That's exactly it, Drummond, you nailed it. The one I have is the Cerefolin, I think it's the generic of Deplin perhaps, not 100% sure. But like I said, the great part is, that I can get it from Amazon if it turns out to be something that works. For now he gave me a bunch of free trial packs.

It definitely, for sure, not only gives me a boost of energy, but along with that comes a boost in the desire to do things and being more positive.

Usually I'm up, and down and up and down. A fair amount of depression in there. And the hypomania sometimes occurs at night, causing issues with me being able to either fall asleep or remain asleep. So it will be interesting over a period of time to see if this helps.
    Ok, I hope this continues to work out for you. My only concern is whether there's any underlying issue of anaemia involved, and whether the right 'B' vitamin is identified as being right for you (since Cerefolin will be addressing the folic acid side of things). If I were you I'd make sure you included B12 supplementation to make sure. A fairly large dose ... min 100mcg per day ...

Your FDA is bound to have different dosage recommendations to the UK equivalent ... last time I checked, the FDA recommended a minimum 100mg per day of vitamin C as necessary for good health. The UK's recommendation was just 30mg ... just enough to ward off scurvy, if you can believe it !!
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-26-2018 at 11:59 AM.

20. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Ok, I hope this continues to work out for you. My only concern is whether there's any underlying issue of anaemia involved, and whether the right 'B' vitamin is identified as being right for you (since Cerefolin will be addressing the folic acid side of things). If I were you I'd make sure you included B12 supplementation to make sure. A fairly large dose ... min 100mcg per day ...

Your FDA is bound to have different dosage recommendations to the UK equivalent ... last time I checked, the FDA recommended a minimum 100mg per day of vitamin C as necessary for good health. The UK's recommendation was just 30mg ... just enough to ward off scurvy, if you can believe it !!
    I just also finished with a full blood workup, and both doctors spoke with one another, with my permission of course. I guess similar concerns, and I'll be going for other bloodwork again in 2 months and then again in 6 months.

22. Likes Abbey Marie, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Sir Drummond, and Jim

Perhaps I overlooked the fact you spoke of with anemia. I use several Blood Thinners to prevent clots in my arteries following my quadruple bypass several years ago. The thinning must be prevented to cause anemia, more white blood cells, so I guess the B-12 tabs are to fight that.
    So, this is for them.

24. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Perhaps I overlooked the fact you spoke of with anemia. I use several Blood Thinners to prevent clots in my arteries following my quadruple bypass several years ago. The thinning must be prevented to cause anemia, more white blood cells, so I guess the B-12 tabs are to fight that.
    Yes, I think you're right. Your doctors have targeted the version of anaemia they needed B12 specifically to counteract.

Anaemia (still, my British spelling .. sorry ...) can come from B9 or B12 deficiencies. It's like building a jigsaw puzzle -- you apply the right piece to make the picture whole. So, the right vitamin for the right version of malady ..
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-26-2018 at 02:55 PM.

26. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Sir Drummond....

Yes, I think you're right. Your doctors have targeted the version of anaemia they needed B12 specifically to counteract.

Anaemia (still, my British spelling .. sorry ...) can come from B9 or B12 deficiencies. It's like building a jigsaw puzzle -- you apply the right piece to make the picture whole. So, the right vitamin for the right version of malady ..

Maybe I should Identify you as SIR DOCTOR???
    So, this is for them.

29. Likes Drummond liked this post