Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
Carter was an idiot. Naval Officer, but an idiot. He was my first Commander-in-Chief. He allowed the
Coast Guard's budget cut to the point that we did not even have fuel to conduct small boat training.
I had to train crews at the dock, or during an actual case / response.

Nice man, but idiot as CiC!
My first class on anti-armor mines "..... Recruits, THIS is where the shipping plug would be if we had one. Remove that and ...".

Totally agree on Carter. Nice man with good intentions. Probably one of the worst Presidents we ever had of the just not qualified variety. I don't count criminals like Obama in that group. In fairness, Carter inherited the clusterfuck known as the late 70s. He just made it worse. He also had a Congress much like Trump. Dems wouldn't support him because he was an independent from GA.

Congress actually cut the purse strings on the military after Vietnam. They were supposed to pay off war debt with it and instead and as usual, wasted it on pork barrel projects.

I would never want Carter as a CinC. That's how sure I was my first enlistment would outlast his Presidency before I enlisted.