Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default A New Toy For Gunny?

Something interesting coming out of a guy's garage in Colorado Springs:

Army might have found its new rifle in Colorado Springs garage

Caption +

The Army adopted its battle rifle in 1963 and has spent 55 years looking for a replacement for the M-16 and its variants.

They might have found it in Martin Grier’s Colorado Springs garage. Grier, a self-described inventor who has worked at a local bed and breakfast, built the new “ribbon gun” with a hobbyist’s tools. It looks like a space-age toy drawn by a fifth-grader.

But goofy origins and cartoon-looks aside, this could be the gun of the future. The Army is studying Grier’s gun and has ordered a military-grade prototype.

https://gazette.com/military/army-mi...5a0e767a4.html

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post

Caption +

The Army adopted its battle rifle in 1963 and has spent 55 years looking for a replacement for the M-16 and its variants.

They might have found it in Martin Grier’s Colorado Springs garage. Grier, a self-described inventor who has worked at a local bed and breakfast, built the new “ribbon gun” with a hobbyist’s tools. It looks like a space-age toy drawn by a fifth-grader.

But goofy origins and cartoon-looks aside, this could be the gun of the future. The Army is studying Grier’s gun and has ordered a military-grade prototype.

I see both positives and negatives in this new design. Lets just go with the first one I saw. Fires by using an electric pulse instead of a firing pin.. hmmmmmmm-- wouldnt that require a power source--as in a battery?
    How about shelf life of a battery and its failure at a critical moment.
    I suggest, just bring back the M-14...
    And why fire 4 bullets at once--wouldn't that be a waste of ammo? Especially when all 4 miss?
    THAT COULD BE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WASTED IN AMMO ALONE.. --Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 10-05-2018 at 05:07 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post

Caption +

This guy probably built this thing for like $50 , but an Army version will probably cost $10,000.

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I see both positives and negatives in this new design. Lets just go with the first one I saw. Fires by using an electric pulse instead of a firing pin.. hmmmmmmm-- wouldnt that require a power source--as in a battery?
    How about shelf life of a battery and its failure at a critical moment.
    I suggest, just bring back the M-14...
    And why fire 4 bullets at once--wouldn't that be a waste of ammo? Especially when all 4 miss?
    THAT COULD BE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WASTED IN AMMO ALONE.. --Tyr

Tyr. Yes, it might be a waste of billions. But...it only takes ONE bullet out of 4 to save your life.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'm with Tyr. M-14 works fine for me and I don't have to learn anything new. I'm not a "new is better for the sake of being new" type person.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Likes CSM, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Where the hell do you put the bayonet on that thing???
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

12. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Where the hell do you put the bayonet on that thing???
    I was wondering that about the M-4, Sergeant Major and came to the conclusion that if I had to carry one of those pint size rifles with no ass to them, I'd need a spear of a sword or something for hand to hand.

As far as this new thing goes, I think I have a further reach bare handed than trying to buttstoke with that thing. Guess it'd make an okay club. If it didn't bend ...
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I was wondering that about the M-4, Sergeant Major and came to the conclusion that if I had to carry one of those pint size rifles with no ass to them, I'd need a spear of a sword or something for hand to hand.

As far as this new thing goes, I think I have a further reach bare handed than trying to buttstoke with that thing. Guess it'd make an okay club. If it didn't bend ...
    I don't think they even teach bayonet anymore. I do know they upped the ante for hand to hand with what they call "Combatives" which is a fancy word for ju-jitsu. My sons are pretty good at it. Still, nothing like cold steel to make somebody think twice....
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

16. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I don't think they even teach bayonet anymore. I do know they upped the ante for hand to hand with what they call "Combatives" which is a fancy word for ju-jitsu. My sons are pretty good at it. Still, nothing like cold steel to make somebody think twice....
    I was a hand to hand instructor with the M-16A1. Guess I don't have THAT job to fall back on

Somebody decided back when I was in the 4th Marines to incorporate karate into the hand-to-hand with the rifle. The dumb throws they taught us when I was in boot camp were judo hip tosses and a heel trip. The post-Nam military REALLY sucked. We were still using all their leftover training aids. Everybody was smoking dope and/or drinking. If we HAD gone to war with Iran in 80 ... oh ... wee DID try a rescue ...'nuff said. We weren't ready.

18. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I was a hand to hand instructor with the M-16A1. Guess I don't have THAT job to fall back on

Somebody decided back when I was in the 4th Marines to incorporate karate into the hand-to-hand with the rifle. The dumb throws they taught us when I was in boot camp were judo hip tosses and a heel trip. The post-Nam military REALLY sucked. We were still using all their leftover training aids. Everybody was smoking dope and/or drinking. If we HAD gone to war with Iran in 80 ... oh ... wee DID try a rescue ...'nuff said. We weren't ready.
    Can't say I disagree. Post VN was a big pain in the ass. That's when the Army started becoming a "kinder, gentler" outfit...hated it.
    Thomas Jefferson

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Can't say I disagree. Post VN was a big pain in the ass. That's when the Army started becoming a "kinder, gentler" outfit...hated it.
    I hear ya, Sergeant Major. I remember thinking, "This is it? The Marine Corps? Toughest military on Earth, yada , yada, yada? My childhood was tougher and my dad would have eaten all three of my drill instructors. Most of the career force left were PTSD poster boys. There was no middle-NCO corps and zero's were nonexistent, token items. Had to save that whopping $199 pay on the 15th for the end of the month when the chow hall was as broke as everyone else. I never did get the white t-- shirts in cammies thing. Seemed kind of stupid to me.

There just wasn't any money. Apparently, Carter and Congress thought we fed, clothed and equipped ourselves. You'd think at least Carter would know better being a Naval officer.

22. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I hear ya, Sergeant Major. I remember thinking, "This is it? The Marine Corps? Toughest military on Earth, yada , yada, yada? My childhood was tougher and my dad would have eaten all three of my drill instructors. Most of the career force left were PTSD poster boys. There was no middle-NCO corps and zero's were nonexistent, token items. Had to save that whopping $199 pay on the 15th for the end of the month when the chow hall was as broke as everyone else. I never did get the white t-- shirts in cammies thing. Seemed kind of stupid to me.

There just wasn't any money. Apparently, Carter and Congress thought we fed, clothed and equipped ourselves. You'd think at least Carter would know better being a Naval officer.
    Carter was an idiot. Naval Officer, but an idiot. He was my first Commander-in-Chief. He allowed the
    Coast Guard's budget cut to the point that we did not even have fuel to conduct small boat training.
    I had to train crews at the dock, or during an actual case / response.

Nice man, but idiot as CiC!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Carter was an idiot. Naval Officer, but an idiot. He was my first Commander-in-Chief. He allowed the
    Coast Guard's budget cut to the point that we did not even have fuel to conduct small boat training.
    I had to train crews at the dock, or during an actual case / response.

Nice man, but idiot as CiC!
    My first class on anti-armor mines "..... Recruits, THIS is where the shipping plug would be if we had one. Remove that and ...".

Totally agree on Carter. Nice man with good intentions. Probably one of the worst Presidents we ever had of the just not qualified variety. I don't count criminals like Obama in that group. In fairness, Carter inherited the clusterfuck known as the late 70s. He just made it worse. He also had a Congress much like Trump. Dems wouldn't support him because he was an independent from GA.

Congress actually cut the purse strings on the military after Vietnam. They were supposed to pay off war debt with it and instead and as usual, wasted it on pork barrel projects.

I would never want Carter as a CinC. That's how sure I was my first enlistment would outlast his Presidency before I enlisted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Hmmm... IDK... I always figured something like a small laser gun was next.

Maybe the Pentagon is saving that for the new SPACE FORCE.