Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Call me crazy, but had I joined the Navy, I'd have wanted sub duty. I think they're cool. Course I may have lived to regret that but, I think it would have been an experience of a lifetime.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Call me crazy, but had I joined the Navy, I'd have wanted sub duty. I think they're cool. Course I may have lived to regret that but, I think it would have been an experience of a lifetime.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I could never have gone to subs. I like fresh air, sun, and seeing the sea on the surface, not below it.

Plus I am fairly claustrophobic. I hate the tube-type MRIs!
    Last edited by Elessar; 10-20-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Those of us who were SURFACE sailors thought differently....

We called SUB sailors...BUBBLE HEADS. And reminded them...They worked in a LONG TUBE full of SEAMEN.
    We always respected them for their service. It takes a special kind of person to survive that kind of duty. Most civilians have no idea what the stresses are for them. Much less what all at-sea, sailors need to survive.
    Subs have two crews. A Blue, and a Gold. When each crew returns from long deployments, the other crew is on the pier to relieve them.
    They earn their pay, and all Sub sailors are the Most Qualified people in the Navy. In order for them to Earn their DOLPHINS. They must be able to operate, and repair everything on the Boat to qualify as a Submariner.
    We complained about sleeping in Close quarters all the time, on our ships. But few could handle sleeping next to a torpedo, or other noisy space for three, or six months without going Bonkers.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

8. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I could never have gone to subs. I like fresh air, sun, and seeing the sea on the surface, not below it.

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    We called SUB sailors...BUBBLE HEADS. And reminded them...They worked in a LONG TUBE full of SEAMEN.
    We always respected them for their service. It takes a special kind of person to survive that kind of duty. Most civilians have no idea what the stresses are for them. Much less what all at-sea, sailors need to survive.
    Subs have two crews. A Blue, and a Gold. When each crew returns from long deployments, the other crew is on the pier to relieve them.
    They earn their pay, and all Sub sailors are the Most Qualified people in the Navy. In order for them to Earn their DOLPHINS. They must be able to operate, and repair everything on the Boat to qualify as a Submariner.
    We complained about sleeping in Close quarters all the time, on our ships. But few could handle sleeping next to a torpedo, or other noisy space for three, or six months without going Bonkers.
    I've watched a ton of videos on youtube about subs. IDK, I kinda like cubby hole type enclosures so, I think I'd have been well suited for sub duty. I know they spend most of their time submerged, but that's the appeal to me. Wandering the worlds oceans in secret, mostly undetected, what a trip, and go to the north pole and surface up through the ice and get a chance to see that, wow... not to mention that if a nuclear war ever broke out, you'd survive the attack. Might not be anything to surface to live on afterwards but, you'd witness the destruction. I like the technology of a sub too. I'd have at least given it a shot. I imagine they probably put vitamin D in their food...

This is awesome...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-20-2018 at 07:32 PM.

10. Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

A fellow from my home town (a couple of years younger than me) joined the Navy and went into subs. He started out on the fast attacks and ended after 25 years on the boomers.

I visited him once, the crew seemed to like slamming the hatch behind us. I guess they thought I might get a bit claustrophobic, but my pal just laughed and told them I was an old hole snipe.
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    A fellow from my home town (a couple of years younger than me) joined the Navy and went into subs. He started out on the fast attacks and ended after 25 years on the boomers.

I visited him once, the crew seemed to like slamming the hatch behind us. I guess they thought I might get a bit claustrophobic, but my pal just laughed and told them I was an old hole snipe.
    Alright bro... explain the "fast attacks" and "boomers," and you were on a sub?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-20-2018 at 10:57 PM.

13. Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Alright bro... explain the "fast attacks" and "boomers," and you were on a sub?
    I'm a Coastie, the ONLY time I was on a sub was to visit. Once helping out the morale Officer back in 1972 swap some movies and another time to visit my friend.

As I understand things, fast attacks are hunter/killers and boomers are the missile launching platforms.

At least, that was the way it was explained to me (he did say it real slow, so he might have been poking fun at me)

15. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    I'm a Coastie, the ONLY time I was on a sub was to visit. Once helping out the morale Officer back in 1972 swap some movies and another time to visit my friend.

As I understand things, fast attacks are hunter/killers and boomers are the missile launching platforms.

At least, that was the way it was explained to me (he did say it real slow, so he might have been poking fun at me)
    Must have been an awesome experience, pard. I've never been on a sub, but I know had I not been a zoomie, Navy submariner would have been my other choice.

17. Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Must have been an awesome experience, pard. I've never been on a sub, but I know had I not been a zoomie, Navy submariner would have been my other choice.

Talk about circumstances. This showed up in my Facebook status, so I guess the Coast Guard "did" have a sub (lol)

Original Fred’s Place Memories... USCGC TAMAROA (WMEC-166) Sinking in Drydock Memories... ”The Tamaroa was jokingly known as the only US Coast Guard Submarine... Of course recollections differ... Here are a few...”
    John W. Camp remembers... “I had just got transferred to the 3rd CGD, US Customs House, NYC when she went into drydock, at Bayonne, NJ. If I remember right, and one of the hands [a BM striker] came off liberty and opened the wrong valve [main] and SUNK the DRY DOCK. You might guess, there were big holes cut in the side of the Tam where the motors had been removed and water filled most of the ship... The BM striker got a 'captains mast' over it, with restriction to ship and busted back to seaman.”
    Edward J. Nerges remembers... “The actual date of the sinking was March 14, 1963. At approximately 0030, 14 March the port side of Section 3 of Floating Drydock #3 at the Ira. S. Bushey Shipyard, 764 Court Street, Brooklyn, New York, in which the Tamaroa had been since the morning of 8 March 1963, began to sink and list to port due to flooding from a source undetermined as of this date ( 27 March 1963).
    At approximately 0040 hours, 43 members of the ship's company onboard at the time safely evacuated the vessel without serious injury.

The Commanding Officer was the last person to leave the vessel and mustered on the pier with his crew at approximately 0047.
    The crewman responsible for the incident was 22 year old third class boatswain's mate from Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    The estimated cost of $850,000 for restoration of the Tamaroa was given to Headquarters on August 13, 1963. The crew of the Tamaroa did most of the work restoring her.”
    Paul Milligan was stationed on board the Tam and remembers the incident as well: “I was assigned to the Tamaroa when she entered Bushey Shipyard. I had orders to flight training and was relieved of all duties except officer of the day since I was due to depart within a few days of the incident.
    I remember the morning after the incident very well. I was home in my apartment on Staten Island the previous night. For some reason My alarm clock did not work that morning, and I overslept about half and hour. I was rushing madly to get dressed when I heard something on a news broadcast about a ship sinking, but paid no closer attention. Shortly after that I received a phone call from one of the other officers on board the Tamaroa who informed me not to hurry to work that morning because the ship sank in the dry-dock! When I got to flight training I spent the next 18 months explaining to the Navy Corpsmen and Yeoman why I had a service jacket that had obviously been immersed in water.

I believe John Camp's story has one minor inaccuracy in it. I remember reading the article in the Navy Times about how the Coast Guard found out who and how the ship sank. The article said the person responsible was court-martialed and was reduced to E-1 and sentenced to 18 months in Leavenworth Prison, because the court could not prove he did it intentionally. Also, the man involved had recently been promoted to BM3 prior to the incident. He worked for me prior to my being relieved to go to flight training. I also remember John Camp, although I can't remember whether he was a SNYN or if he had gotten his crow.”
    Phil Porteus who was on the deck force in the late 80's writes: “I served aboard the Tam in 87-89. I also worked at the Governors Island Fire Department afterward. There I heard stories from two different sources about the Tam sinking. This apparently was a different sinking than is mentioned on your website. It was circa 1980 and the Tam was at it's dock at Governors Island.
    Apparently two non rates that were disgruntled opened some strategic valves either in the engine room, shaft alley or aft steering. The after part of the Tam flooded and she went to the bottom in her berth. No one was hurt. The incident was reported to GI Security by the Quarterdeck of the Morgantheau which was berthed nearby. GI Security responded and found the OOD and JOOD locked in their staterooms. The Governors Island fire department responded with their pumper which was used to dewater the flooded sections of the ship. The two offenders were caught and court martialed.”

19. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I toured a sub docked on the Delaware river in Philly. Maybe there are others like that nearer to you?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I toured a sub docked on the Delaware river in Philly. Maybe there are others like that nearer to you?
    I toured one at NB Key West back in the 60s. That was close enough for me. Hat's off to anyone that can handle that duty. Not me. I don't even like these new "stealth" profile ships because there's no catwalk. I can't imagine 6 months at a pop with no catwalk.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

23. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default That's our Philly Abbey

Abbey. I've been there, down on the old Delaware Ave, waterfront. Admiral Dewey's Olympia too. And the Sailing ship used in the movie GODFATHER is now a restaurant.

But, that sub is the old class, diesel used during WWII. Our Subs today are larger, and much more room...yet still tighter than a pair of shoes on a huge pair of feet...So to speak!
    So, this is for them.

25. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Bilgerat, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Abbey. I've been there, down on the old Delaware Ave, waterfront. Admiral Dewey's Olympia too. And the Sailing ship used in the movie GODFATHER is now a restaurant.

But, that sub is the old class, diesel used during WWII. Our Subs today are larger, and much more room...yet still tighter than a pair of shoes on a huge pair of feet...So to speak!
    Yes, AT, exactly. I toured the Olympia, too. Very cool. So much beautiful woodwork on the Olympia.

I also once toured a visiting British Navy ship docked there. I was in my late 20’s, and they were searching folks on deck before they could do the tour. For firearms, I assume. Anyway, this cute Brit sailor who was about to look through me and my things turned to his buddies and said, “We’ll search this young lady below”. Wink, wink.
    I’m sure he used the line many times, but I still loved it.

(I guess I’m a #metoo failure, lol).
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

27. Thanks aboutime, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default You are Better than that Abbey.

Yes, AT, exactly. I toured the Olympia, too. Very cool. So much beautiful woodwork on the Olympia.

I also once toured a visiting British Navy ship docked there. I was in my late 20’s, and they were searching folks on deck before they could do the tour. For firearms, I assume. Anyway, this cute Brit sailor who was about to look through me and my things turned to his buddies and said, “We’ll search this young lady below”. Wink, wink.
    I’m sure he used the line many times, but I still loved it.

(I guess I’m a #metoo failure, lol).

After spend most of my life with other sailors, from other nations as well.
    Unless they are today's millennials who have been indoctrinated into the LGBTQ world of Political Correctness...Sailors usually have TWO things in mind...all the time. One of them is BEER, and, as you are well aware.... They LOVE BOATS?????

Before I met my future wife in 1967. When her cousin introduced us that year. I had to visit her in a local Plymouth Meeting Mall, where she worked at the "Mary Ann" clothing store for teenagers. Imagine the reaction when I showed up in my White Uniform, in July?
    I can only compare that day as a sailor to walking into Victoria's Secret...as the only male.

52 years later. I guess I chased her, until she caught me!
    So, this is for them.

29. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Bilgerat, Abbey Marie liked this post