Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase:

Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase: report
    By Louis Casiano | Fox News

A decorated Vietnam veteran and firearms collector was sentenced to seven years in federal prison Wednesday for a decades-old purchase of a rifle.

Alfred Pick, 70, purchased the M14 -- a fully automatic weapon illegal to own -- at a Ft. Worth gun show in the early 1980s, the Dallas Morning News reported.

The rifle, which had a scratched-off serial number, was similar to the one Pick used as an Army lieutenant in Vietnam, where he earned a Silver Star after participating in more than 100 combat missions and his brief time as a POW.

"The man is a Silver Star winner, he saved lives, he took care of his wife, he’s been in custody for a year, I would think that when a man turned 70 and is an American hero you don't destroy the rest of his life for one mistake," Mark Shackelford, a friend, told KDFW-TV.

Shackelford called the weapon the "piece de resistance" of Pick’s collection, adding that "He had shown it to me. I've never seen it taken out of the case.

Ryne Sandel, Pick's attorney, said his client had a "connection" to the rifle at the time.

Pick has accumulated dozens of weapons over the years, most of them collectibles, Sandel said.

Last year, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents looking for the rifle raided Pick’s Plano, Texas, home two weeks after his wife died of cancer and found the weapon.

"He's had it all these years, never robbed a bank or done anything with it," Shackleford said. "I would think that when a man turned 70 and is an American hero, you don't destroy the rest of his life for one mistake."

Some Vietnam veterans were less than sympathetic, the station reported, saying Pick should have known better since the rifle's serial was scratched out.
    Not sure if the sentence is just.
    If he had the gun in a collection had never used it in a crime and has not engaged in any criminal activity, I think 7 years is a bit much-- maybe 1 year would be just, or even gun confiscated and pay a hefty fine.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'd like to know precedent in sentencing for something like this. His veteran status shouldn't come into play except speaking generally to character.

Women get less time in jail for raping children than this guy gets for buying what amounts to a trophy
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

4. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase:

Tbh if the sentence is 7 years for owing an automatic rifle with the serial numbers removed etc. then I’d guess he’d rather of served it towards the end of his life than in the middle a few decades ago.
    Last edited by Noir; 10-18-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I'd like to know precedent in sentencing for something like this. His veteran status shouldn't come into play except speaking generally to character.

Women get less time in jail for raping children than this guy gets for buying what amounts to a trophy
    The kicker is the removed serial number. I think as a collector he should have known better.
    That might be the precedent.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

If he was black it would be life

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'd like to know why they raided his house, just because his wife died of cancer.

Did they know he had the rifle? Did someone rat him out?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    What the hell does race have to do with it?

How much do you know about BATFE Laws or
    sentencing guidelines?

There was no indication in the article that he had a valid BATFE permit to purchase
    an automatic weapon as a collector. Perhaps he did. Nor is there any indication
    of whether or not the gun show was BATFE sanctioned if it was to include automatic
    weapons.
    Last edited by Elessar; 10-19-2018 at 07:15 AM.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Really???
    Do give some kind of proof that backs up this outrageous liberal kind of stupid declaration you have made.
    As in, something to show how many blacks that have bought ""such guns"" at gun shows and were given life in prison sentences for that action.
    Otherwise, your comment reveals not only your bias but also your stupidity and/or insane belief in the usual liberal propaganda you are so damn fond of presenting here.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

12. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

If he was black half his city would have already been burned, vandalized and looted and his face on Page One daily at the miscarriage of justice done to the black man.

Fact is, he's white. Where's your rent-a-riot squad and incessant MSM yammering?
    Last edited by Gunny; 10-18-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I found the sentencing guidelines for possession of a firearm with serial number removed:

Fine not to exceed $250,000 - jail time not to exceed 10 years.

The only other question in doubt is a permit to own an automatic weapon from the BATFE.

Lots of things are not being identified in this case.
    Last edited by Elessar; 10-18-2018 at 10:55 PM.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

They hammered him because of the serial number tampering, clearly indicating that it was stolen at some point.

A full auto weapon missing the serial? He knew better but didn't care.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

17. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    They hammered him because of the serial number tampering, clearly indicating that it was stolen at some point.

I wasn't going to comment but, I have to agree with you, NT... he knew he had a hot weapon and what would happen if he got caught with it.

70 or not, do the crime, do the time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post

That was the kicker I indicated above.

The rest was/were my points that a lot had not been made
    public in the case. BATFE permit to own or possess? Gunshow BAFTE permit?
    Last edited by Elessar; 10-18-2018 at 11:01 PM.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I think it a bit too severe , unless he also had engaged in some type of criminal activity (either prior or since) or they had reason to believe he was a danger to society.
    Still a lot unknown about his character but the article never mentioned that he had any kind of previous criminal record.
    To me, giving 7 years was -- them sending a message , perhaps even to soothe the mmffking anti-gun liberals.
    His age, previous service and apparent good character(as a law abiding citizen having served with honor)should have garnered him more leniency imho.
    3 years to be suspended and maybe a 500/1000 dollar fine, seems about right to me..--Tyr

21. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Really???
    Do give some kind of proof that backs up this outrageous liberal kind of stupid declaration you have made.
    As in, something to show how many blacks that have bought ""such guns"" at gun shows and were given life in prison sentences for that action.
    Otherwise, your comment reveals not only your bias but also your stupidity and/or insane belief in the usual liberal propaganda you are so damn fond of presenting here.-Tyr
    Petey ignores, or else hides from these types of posts that reveal his true character and his liberal idiocy..
    A shame that he will not even attempt to prove even one iota of his outlandish and liberal inspired falsely made accusation -Tyr