Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

This is quite informative, and much I agree with. He breaks it down and provides evidence to back up his claim. He even uses the same term I've used for a long time now to describe new music... "cookie cutter."

Pretty good video...

This is why I can't listen to radio. It drives me nuts, and it seems like Wisconsin has some of the worst local channels anywhere in America. If it's not cookie cutter country, it's oldies people have heard a billion times, or it's just stupid pop. I have SiriusXM in the Camaro, but the Suburban just has the radio, and of course the CD player doesn't work and there's no inputs or bluetooth, so there's an upgrade coming there for certain, with a SiriusXM adapter and antenna. I like this Pioneer...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130501...AVH-501EX.html
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-28-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

That was a very good video, though the opening photo of two young women I really don’t like was kind of misleading and almost made me not watch.

The art of talented songwriting has all but disappeared. And talented Singer/Songwriters, like a Dylan, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, or even Bruce Springsteen, are memories.

And I really miss the old strong horn-section bands, like Chicago, Tower of Power, Blood, Sweat and Tears. As the guy says, now it’s all similar sounding drum machines and such, and very few instruments.

I am most intrigued by “Mere Exposure Effect”. I have felt that Hollywood has been doing a similar thing with so many gay characters/story lines. They are way over-represented, in an attempt to normalize it, and wear us down by our “mere exposure”.

Finally, I cannot watch singing competition shows, like The Voice, because pure, nuanced singing is non-existent. The rewards in applause and recognition come precisely when the person belts out a super loud note or phrase. If you listen to singers from the 40s, like say Sinatra, they really could put nuance and style into a song.

It’s all rather sucky.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    The art of talented songwriting has all but disappeared. And talented Singer/Songwriters,
    Off the top of my head and well worth a listen if you’re looking for current singer/songwriters -

Florence Welch, Anna Calvi, Miles Kane, Alex Turner, Joshua Tillman, Juanita Stein, Brandon Flowers, Alex Kapranos, Hannah Reid, John Grant, Neil Hannon, Matt Bellamy, Cat Power, Madeleine Peyroux.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

5. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I do not like most of the newer stuff at all. The women sound like they pinch their
    noses and whine through their throats.

No vocal quality like Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, or Karen Carpenter.

Most guys have gravelly voices and shout into a mike. Again singing
    from their throats. Lots try to imitate Mick Jaggar, who is a notorious throat singer.

Neil Diamond had vocal quality as did Eric Clapton, and Gordon Lightfoot.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

7. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

There IS good music out there, you just have to find it. That's why I have Spotify Premium, and the longer you have it the better it learns what your preferences are, so like today, every Monday, Spotify gives me about 50 songs it's picked just for me according to my listening, saves and searches. Sometimes it sucks, other times it's packed with great stuff. Best part is you get to tell it what songs you didn't like, and they won't play them again, and you can save the songs you do like. I go for music that's pure and has it's own uniqueness, and I like someone with a good voice. As a music lover, I'd be LOST without Spotify out here in the boonies. The utter garbage that's played by what local radio you can find is pathetic. You'll never hear anything new unless it's just as the video states, some cookie cutter pop crap that's simply being shoved down your throat. And new country, good God don't get me started. That has to be the worst music on the planet. One song sounds just like the next, and the singers all sound alike, and the song lyrics are all alike. I can't handle it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I do not like most of the newer stuff at all. The women sound like they pinch their
    noses and whine through their throats.

No vocal quality like Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, or Karen Carpenter.

Most guys have gravelly voices and shout into a mike. Again singing
    from their throats. Lots try to imitate Mick Jaggar, who is a notorious throat singer.

Neil Diamond had vocal quality as did Eric Clapton, and Gordon Lightfoot.
    EXACTLY... I always get the impression they're all trying to see who can sound YOUNGER, like they're 6 or 7 years old.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Here's a good example of what music should still sound like. As far as country goes, this is country, not the garbage they're shoving at people today, like George Strait calls it, "HICK HOP." So good music is still out there, you just have to find it. The chances of ever hearing it on the radio though are pretty slim, you need to stream music nowadays... this was the very first song in my Spotify Monday weekly music picks... I added it into my favorites...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

A very unique sounding song... I like these that have their own thing going on...