Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Crazy case of Stolen Valor

So not only did this guy represent himself as a veteran - but he damn done cut off his arm in order to look the part. And I don't think it was as much that he was nuts, as you must be a little to do such a thing, but also did so to profit. What a scumbag.

---

Stolen Valor: ‘Better Call Saul’ Actor Admits Severing Arm to Land War Veteran TV Roles

An actor who has appeared on the television shows Better Call Saul and Longmire admitted to a local news outlet Monday that he severed his arm and lied about how it happened by posing as a war veteran.

Todd Latourette, an Albuquerque, New Mexico, based actor who said he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, told KOB4 Monday that he sawed off his arm during a psychotic episode 17 years ago and had been off his medication at the time of the episode.

“I severed my hand with a Skil saw,” Latourette said. “The state of my mind was a psychotic episode.”

Despite the gruesome episode, Latourette was able to find work as an actor with an amputated limb over the years by concocting a story about being a war veteran. He most recently appeared as Skell in season four episode five of AMC’s Better Call Saul.

“I was dishonorable. I’m killing my career by doing this, if anyone thinks this was for personal edification, that’s not the case,” says Latourette. “I’m ousting myself from the New Mexico Film Industry. And gladly so, just to say what I’ve said.”

Latourette, who said he is back on his medication, said he chose to come forward because he no longer wanted to live a lie, even though he said it might affect his acting career in the future.

But the Albuquerque-based actor said he hoped his story would help those who struggle with mental illness and encourage them to stay on their medication.

Representatives for AMC have not commented on Latourette’s story as of Wednesday.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...eran-tv-roles/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So not only did this guy represent himself as a veteran - but he damn done cut off his arm in order to look the part. And I don't think it was as much that he was nuts, as you must be a little to do such a thing, but also did so to profit. What a scumbag.

---

Stolen Valor: ‘Better Call Saul’ Actor Admits Severing Arm to Land War Veteran TV Roles

An actor who has appeared on the television shows Better Call Saul and Longmire admitted to a local news outlet Monday that he severed his arm and lied about how it happened by posing as a war veteran.

Todd Latourette, an Albuquerque, New Mexico, based actor who said he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, told KOB4 Monday that he sawed off his arm during a psychotic episode 17 years ago and had been off his medication at the time of the episode.

“I severed my hand with a Skil saw,” Latourette said. “The state of my mind was a psychotic episode.”

Despite the gruesome episode, Latourette was able to find work as an actor with an amputated limb over the years by concocting a story about being a war veteran. He most recently appeared as Skell in season four episode five of AMC’s Better Call Saul.

“I was dishonorable. I’m killing my career by doing this, if anyone thinks this was for personal edification, that’s not the case,” says Latourette. “I’m ousting myself from the New Mexico Film Industry. And gladly so, just to say what I’ve said.”

Latourette, who said he is back on his medication, said he chose to come forward because he no longer wanted to live a lie, even though he said it might affect his acting career in the future.

But the Albuquerque-based actor said he hoped his story would help those who struggle with mental illness and encourage them to stay on their medication.

Representatives for AMC have not commented on Latourette’s story as of Wednesday.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...eran-tv-roles/
    I guess it depends on how you want to view it. It looks less a case of "stolen valor" and more a case of trying to hide a mental illness. The "stolen valor" part looks to be more consequential to that than anything else.

If he's been collecting benefits or anything like that, then it's a different story.

People with mental illness do weird shit.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I guess it depends on how you want to view it. It looks less a case of "stolen valor" and more a case of trying to hide a mental illness. The "stolen valor" part looks to be more consequential to that than anything else.

If he's been collecting benefits or anything like that, then it's a different story.

Bolded is quite accurate. If he did, then he needs to pay for it one way or another.

Underlined. Quite right. My older brother was discharged from the 'Corps for unsuitability,
    emotional instability. But he carried it further into the Bolded area above. He was sent packing
    as a Sgt/E-5. Over the next 30 years he claimed to be a Gunny, Senior Gunny, Master Gunny, W-4,
    and LtCol until I called him out on the old Military.com chat boards. This was after he told our
    Step-Dad after the wedding he was a retired Lt Colonel. I was going to call a recruiter to look him
    up over the claim if he did not back down and admit his 'behavior'.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

4. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Bolded is quite accurate. If he did, then he needs to pay for it one way or another.

Underlined. Quite right. My older brother was discharged from the 'Corps for unsuitability,
    emotional instability. But he carried it further into the Bolded area above. He was sent packing
    as a Sgt/E-5. Over the next 30 years he claimed to be a Gunny, Senior Gunny, Master Gunny, W-4,
    and LtCol until I called him out on the old Military.com chat boards. This was after he told our
    Step-Dad after the wedding he was a retired Lt Colonel. I was going to call a recruiter to look him
    up over the claim if he did not back down and admit his 'behavior'.
    I LOVE his rank structure

Senior Gunny - no such rank. in "the senior Gunny ..." used in a sentence, "senior" is a pronoun describing the GySgt with the most TIG.

Master Gunny W-4 - no such animal. A Master Gunnery Sergeant is an E-9 with a technical rank (works in his MOS) rather than a SgtMaj E-9 which is a command rank.

A CWO4 (Chief Warrant Officer 4 is a CWO-4.

A "Gunner" is a CWO5 who achieved the rank of E-9 enlisted prior to becoming a Warrant Officer, then climbed the WO ladder. There are usually like 1 or 2 of them max at any one time in the entire Corps.

Must have been REAL special to leap from all that straight to Light Col
    Last edited by Gunny; 11-02-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I LOVE his rank structure

Senior Gunny - no such rank. in "the senior Gunny ..." used in a sentence, "senior" is a pronoun describing the GySgt with the most TIG.

Master Gunny W-4 - no such animal. A Master Gunnery Sergeant is an E-9 with a technical rank (works in his MOS) rather than a SgtMaj E-9 which is a command rank.

A CWO4 (Chief Warrant Officer 4 is a CWO-4.

A "Gunner" is a CWO5 who achieved the rank of E-9 enlisted prior to becoming a Warrant Officer, then climbed the WO ladder. There are usually like 1 or 2 of them max at any one time in the entire Corps.

Must have been REAL special to leap from all that straight to Light Col
    I retired from Active Duty as an E-6, BM1 - although I did make E-7, BMC. I did not accept it
    but retired due to Quality of Life issues. HQ (detailer) said I was perfect for a position at the
    National Search and Rescue School as an Instructor but might have to travel to units for at least a
    week at a time. Asked him what I would do with a child as a single parent, and all he said
    was "You will figure something out". Then my Step-Dad died, leaving Mom a widow in Oregon
    and that sealed it.

When I was at the retirement gathering, the Senior Chief of the Chief Petty Officers Chapter
    (E-8) presented me with a lovely shadow box. It has a single Chief's anchor on it above the medal's
    bar, flanked by all my 'crows' from E-4 to E-6. I asked him why the Anchor and he said
    because You Earned it.

I do not claim to be an E-7 (Chief), just a BM1 or GS-11.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I was a lowly E-5, SSgt when I got out. Had just gotten a line number for TSgt but never sewed it on. Never claimed to be a TSgt either, even though I actually was, since I never sewed it on, I wasn't.

If I was going to lie about my rank, I think I'd make myself a Major General or something...

8. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

He said he did so in a bipolar episode. I have bipolar myself. I give reasons at times - but NEVER excuses. Take meds that are available and make the best of it. It is NOT an excuse to do wrong, IMO, or to gather favors of ANY kind.

But I will admit there are many cases that are above and beyond and any medication may not help much. But that's rare, and certainly not from an otherwise functioning person holding themselves down and living alone and involved in television and what not.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Anyone remember this expression from our Miliary Days?

This guy probably had the desire to perform "SHORT ARM" inspections on military members. He is the Definition with only ONE ARM.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m%20inspection
    Short arm inspection
    An medical inspection in the military where soldiers are checked for sexually transmitted disease.
    I failed the short arm inspection because I had a leaking faucet.
    #clap#dose#pecker checker#starched shorts#gonorrhea
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

He said he did so in a bipolar episode. I have bipolar myself. I give reasons at times - but NEVER excuses. Take meds that are available and make the best of it. It is NOT an excuse to do wrong, IMO, or to gather favors of ANY kind.

But I will admit there are many cases that are above and beyond and any medication may not help much. But that's rare, and certainly not from an otherwise functioning person holding themselves down and living alone and involved in television and what not.
    Then again he DID cut off his own arm. My granddaughter can be awesome as Hell one day and the next you're looking for the Exorcist's phone number.

Stolen valor to me are people like Frank Dux, Stephen Seagal and that type who base their entire shame on claiming to be war heroes and WTF-ever. This guy sounds like he just used it to cover for being bipolar to just have a job, not sham the public. I don't know all the particulars so I can't really say.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Then again he DID cut off his own arm. My granddaughter can be awesome as Hell one day and the next you're looking for the Exorcist's phone number.

Stolen valor to me are people like Frank Dux, Stephen Seagal and that type who base their entire shame on claiming to be war heroes and WTF-ever. This guy sounds like he just used it to cover for being bipolar to just have a job, not sham the public. I don't know all the particulars so I can't really say.
    But it shouldn't be an excuse, that's all I'm saying. Those with mental illnesses, to a very far extent, need to be held accountable just like everyone else.

A lot of folks with bipolar will use their illness as an "excuse" to get away with lack of responsibility, or to blame life's ills on the illness. A get out of jail free card, if you will.

Agree with you 1,000% tho!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

But it shouldn't be an excuse, that's all I'm saying. Those with mental illnesses, to a very far extent, need to be held accountable just like everyone else.

A lot of folks with bipolar will use their illness as an "excuse" to get away with lack of responsibility, or to blame life's ills on the illness. A get out of jail free card, if you will.

Agree with you 1,000% tho!
    I've always hated and generally dodged this one because I personally have no idea where you draw the line of mental responsibility. I mean, most cases are obvious, but some are not. I'm definitely not into excuses, but that leads to another "iffy" one with me because I have found one man's "reason" is a "excuse" to others, depending on POV. Pete does it constantly. Cries like a bitch, then when countered, accuses US of being the ones complaining. It's like Number 2 or 3 in his "the usual" handbook.

While not always practical and/or probable, case-by-case is the only response I can give.

Make no mistake. I think these frauds that make a living off bilking others based on stolen valor are lower than scum and I'd be first to bury one. This is actually the first time I've seen something on this topic that was a bit "iffy" to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I've always hated and generally dodged this one because I personally have no idea where you draw the line of mental responsibility. I mean, most cases are obvious, but some are not. I'm definitely not into excuses, but that leads to another "iffy" one with me because I have found one man's "reason" is a "excuse" to others, depending on POV. Pete does it constantly. Cries like a bitch, then when countered, accuses US of being the ones complaining. It's like Number 2 or 3 in his "the usual" handbook.

While not always practical and/or probable, case-by-case is the only response I can give.

Make no mistake. I think these frauds that make a living off bilking others based on stolen valor are lower than scum and I'd be first to bury one. This is actually the first time I've seen something on this topic that was a bit "iffy" to me.
    Maybe its closer to home for me since I have the illness. I was pushed also by my doc to get some sort of disability or SS crap. I told him no effing way. We didn't "need" it and I refused to collect money from the gubbimint as I detest others doing similarly.

Absolutely though, there ARE many cases of illnesses where folks are too overboard, too ill to even work or function and the illness is so bad that they need assistance, both financially and perhaps physically. I just hate it when I see someone wealthy, that can function, but may use the illness as an excuse. I DO NOT know this guy, and cutting off a limb is pretty darn extreme! Perhaps he wasn't taking meds back then. I don't know the story and don't pretend to. But he should have sought help, no excuses, no capitalizing off of it...

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post