Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    7,946
    Thanks (Given)
    6932
    Thanks (Received)
    7060
    Likes (Given)
    1026
    Likes (Received)
    869
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17700073

    Default West's Old Mines - A Danger and a Draw

    This is interesting. I did not realize how many old mines there were standing
    pretty much 'open' and accessible.

    When Dad was stationed at Davis Monthan in Tuscon, he used to go out
    seeking old mines but was careful not to venture inside:

    https://www.apnews.com/41c193d6646a48c1a5d66ee6383b8e9a
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At your Six
    Posts
    9,049
    Thanks (Given)
    20121
    Thanks (Received)
    8614
    Likes (Given)
    2137
    Likes (Received)
    537
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8860740

    Default

    Excellent post...Great pic`s....I love old mines and old towns....and stories affiliated wit them...



  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    7,946
    Thanks (Given)
    6932
    Thanks (Received)
    7060
    Likes (Given)
    1026
    Likes (Received)
    869
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17700073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    Excellent post...Great pic`s....I love old mines and old towns....and stories affiliated wit them...
    Got a great Web site for them: http://www.ghosttowns.com/

    There are some really good pictures on that site!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  5. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At your Six
    Posts
    9,049
    Thanks (Given)
    20121
    Thanks (Received)
    8614
    Likes (Given)
    2137
    Likes (Received)
    537
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8860740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Got a great Web site for them: http://www.ghosttowns.com/

    There are some really good pictures on that site!

    Thank you....!



  7. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    7,946
    Thanks (Given)
    6932
    Thanks (Received)
    7060
    Likes (Given)
    1026
    Likes (Received)
    869
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17700073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    Thank you....!
    You are welcome!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  9. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    6,020
    Thanks (Given)
    2758
    Thanks (Received)
    2739
    Likes (Given)
    2697
    Likes (Received)
    1501
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13830567

    Default

    I lived in Montana a couple different times, worked for my ex BIL and his Dad's construction company, they had a lumber yard too, but in my off time I was up in the mountains. This is SW Montana and the mountains are absolutely riddled with mines. Lots of old cabins and such too. I just couldn't get enough of exploring all that. I probably knew the mountains around Sheridan, Alder, and Virginia City as well as anyone born there. There wasn't a road up into the mountains I wasn't on, other than the ones that had a gate because they were private property. It is fun, but I can see where it can also be dangerous. I've entered more than one mine that you had to squeeze under the saging timbers at the entrance, and if that caved in, you'd be sealed in, so you're definitely taking a risk. We were lucky.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-05-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    Democrats are the party of trash, the angry democrat MOB.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    7,946
    Thanks (Given)
    6932
    Thanks (Received)
    7060
    Likes (Given)
    1026
    Likes (Received)
    869
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17700073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I lived in Montana a couple different times, worked for my ex BIL and his Dad's construction company, they had a lumber yard too, but in my off time I was up in the mountains. This is SW Montana and the mountains are absolutely riddled with mines. Lots of old cabins and such too. I just couldn't get enough of exploring all that. I probably knew the mountains around Sheridan, Alder, and Virginia City as well as anyone born there. There wasn't a road up into the mountains I wasn't on, other than the ones that had a gate because they were private property. It is fun, but I can see where it can also be dangerous. I've entered more than one mine that you had to squeeze under the saging timbers at the entrance, and if that caved in, you'd be sealed in, so you're definitely taking a risk. We were lucky.
    Check out that link I sent to LTG....some of those mines might be
    in there.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Podunk, WI
    Posts
    6,020
    Thanks (Given)
    2758
    Thanks (Received)
    2739
    Likes (Given)
    2697
    Likes (Received)
    1501
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13830567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Check out that link I sent to LTG....some of those mines might be
    in there.
    I should dig through my old pictures and scan some of the ones I took 40+ years ago in Montana. I have pics of old mines and cabins... think I'll do that later today. Working out right now, then I need to hit walmart. Almost out of TP...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-05-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    THE DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING:

    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, AP, ESPN, BET, TBS, WASHPO, HUFF'N PUFF, MEDIA MATTERS, USA Today, BLOOMBURG, The ATLANTIC, The GUARDIAN, AXIOS, Salon, MOVEON, DU, SNOPES, POLITICO, NY SLIMES, COMPLEX, RUETTERS, YAHOO NEWS, FACEBOOK NEWS, twitter, GQ, NEWSWEEK, Gallup, EBONY, GOOGLE SEARCH, BING, VOX, and the list goes on...

    Democrats are the party of trash, the angry democrat MOB.

  12. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •