Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default What's Really Behind the Jim Acosta 'Controversy'?

Thew media sucks, all of them, even if some may do better than others.

If/when I watch the news, you really don't get the news and don't learn a whole lot about what's going on. You tune in, and you get to hear that station's take on things and their slant. And so much time has been consumed with politics that they rarely have time for the news people want to hear about. And yep, this includes Fox too, all of them. This doesn't mean that folks don't enjoy tuning into their preferred slants, but overall the news in the US anymore just plain 'ol sucks.

With that said, Acosta is a special animal, ruining conference after conference - where IMO he shouldn't be allowed to get to ruining a 2nd one. He never gives up the mic once in his hand. He should get special treatment from now on - you get 1 question and then you MUST give up the mic. Shove anyone at all away, which is touching someone because you think you deserve more time than the others - should be an immediate dismissal.

---

What's Really Behind the Jim Acosta 'Controversy'?

The superficial characteristic of the Jim Acosta "controversy" is that the recently banned -- actually just his "hard pass" was taken -- CNN White House correspondent is a boring narcissist who wants to make all press conferences about him. He never asks a real question. He just spouts his utterly predictable and tedious opinions as long as he can before asking the political equivalent of "When did you stop beating your wife?"

He's not the only one. He's just, for the moment, the most extreme of a bad lot. If you watch White House press conferences, you rarely hear a question of any substance. It's one preening accusation after the other and a complete waste of everyone's time.

So who benefits from this meaningless charade under the surface (although not far)? Who is profiteering off the grandstanding of Acosta and others?

It's not the American people -- that's for sure. It's the major media companies (ABC, CBS, etc.) who, acting as monopolies in a cartel of sorts, get maximum exposure -- mostly to the exclusion of everybody else -- and therefore increased revenue. A lot of it. Basically, the White House is giving the networks and a few select newspapers (NYT, etc.) free marketing. It's not intentional, but that's the way it has evolved.

It's no surprise then that Fox has backed up CNN in its lawsuit to "Free Jim" against the administration. They're all drinking from the same trough. That John Roberts is a better reporter than Acosta (who wouldn't be?) is of, at best, minor consequence. Preserving the cartel is what counts.

Completely lost in this charade is the American public that learns absolutely nothing from these cage fights... er, press conferences.

This isn't new. Back in the eighties (Reagan era), I spent a week in the press room at the behest of Universal Pictures for whom I was writing a film to star Whoopi Goldberg as a White House correspondent (yuk yuk!). You may have noticed the movie was never made.

At the time, the Acosta du jour was ABC's Sam Donaldson, ensconced in the front row asking one obnoxious question after the other that, like Acosta's, never seemed intended to elicit information. Their purpose was only to show off.

So why after all these years are these press conferences the same pointless activity? (Real reporters, like Catherine Herridge, would never be caught dead in one. They're too busy gathering genuine information.)

Look no further than the WHCA -- the White House Correspondents' Association -- the same folks who give you that self-congratulatory annual correspondents' dinner known as the "nerd prom." From Wikipedia:

The WHCA operates independently of the White House. Among the more notable issues handled by the WHCA are the credentialing process, access to the President and physical conditions in the White House press briefing rooms
    In other words, they determine who gets to sit in that room and where. Naturally, when the White House usurped their prerogatives and banned Acosta, they were irate, as any professional organization, acting in essence as a trade union, would be. Only it's not the working class they are helping or anything close. It's those big media conglomerates and their over-paid minions. What the WHCA is doing is of no value to the American public at large. Consciously or not, they are working to preserve a defunct and now reactionary system that does just the reverse, that preserves the status quo and the spoon-feeding of information and opinion to the largely unwitting masses.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/what...a-controversy/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Black Diamond, aboutime, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Special treatment: He doesn't get the mic and doesn't get called up. At all. Ever.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I've all but quit watching fox news. I could stomach a little in the morning but that was it, and even then the TV spent more time on mute than not, especially for some SHIT FACED DIRT BAG ASS CLOWN PIMPING HIS MOTHER FUCKING PILLOW... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MOTHER FUCKER... GIVE IT A FUCKING REST.

I had mediacom over yesterday to install a new main TiVo box, and when he left it was AAAAALLL fucked up. I get like THREE FUCKING CHANNELS and I'm supposed to get almost 200! Needless to say I'm not happy, and it's STILL fucked up, and that includes my other THREE TV'S AS WELL, since they ALL work off the main box. I've called Mediacom twice and made my feelings known. They've put in a LEVEL TWO TECH NOTICE... ya... big deal... and have suspended charging me for TV until it's fixed. Well I'll tell you what, when a technician does get here, and I've gone 4 or 5 days without TV, I'm telling him to TAKE ALL THIS SHIT OUT. I'm done with this TiVo garbage. It's been GLITCHY since they put it in. I'm going to get Hulu and whatever and that's it.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-16-2018 at 08:46 PM.

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I've all but quit watching fox news. I could stomach a little in the morning but that was it, and even then the TV spent more time on mute than not, especially for some SHIT FACED DIRT BAG ASS CLOWN PIMPING HIS MOTHER FUCKING PILLOW... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MOTHER FUCKER... GIVE IT A FUCKING REST.

I had mediacom over yesterday to install a new main TiVo box, and when he left it was AAAAALLL fucked up. I get like THREE FUCKING CHANNELS and I'm supposed to get almost 200! Needless to say I'm not happy, and it's STILL fucked up, and that includes my other THREE TV'S AS WELL, since they ALL work off the main box. I've called Mediacom twice and made my feelings known. They've put in a LEVEL TWO TECH NOTICE... ya... big deal... and have suspended charging me for TV until it's fixed. Well I'll tell you what, when a technician does get here, and I've gone 4 or 5 days without TV, I'm telling him to TAKE ALL THIS SHIT OUT. I'm done with this TiVo garbage. It's been GLITCHY since they put it in. I'm going to get Hulu and whatever and that's it.
    I quit watching Fox News a long. long time ago. I catch it every once in a blue moon.

I like Greg Gutfeld. About all I can say for it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post