Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default New Mexico woman sues hospital for resuscitating her

This will be an interesting case all the way around. Medication she is allergic to, and ignoring the DNR. So the woman who shouldn't even be here, of course instantly goes the route of $$$ - and she'll likely get a boatload!

---

New Mexico woman sues hospital for resuscitating her

A New Mexico woman who was brought back to life is suing the hospital for violating her rights.

The Albuquerque Journal reports lawyers for Jamie Sams filed a lawsuit this week in New Mexico state district court against Santa Fe's Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center.

The lawsuit filed on behalf Sams, a writer known for books on spirituality, says the hospital and a doctor who was treating her are to blame for her going into cardiac arrest. The lawsuit says Sams was given a painkiller even after she told staff she was allergic to it.

Court documents say the negligence was compounded when hospital personnel resuscitated her — something she did not want.

Christus spokesman Arturo Delgado declined to comment.

Sams is seeking an unspecified amount in damages.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...ating-59260167

A New Mexico author has filed a lawsuit against Santa Fe’s Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center claiming that the hospital violated her "do not resuscitate"(DNR) order and revived her after she went into cardiac arrest.

“The DNR met all statutory requirements, and was valid and binding upon Plaintiff’s health care providers, including Defendants Gagan and Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center,” the lawsuit said. "Defendants had notice of the existence that Plaintiff had signed the DNR. Plaintiff Sams was wearing a purple bracelet issued by the hospital and labeled ‘DNR.’”

Not only did the hospital ignore Jamie Sams' DNR, but she also claims that it was their fault that she suffered cardiac arrest in the first place. She said that the emergency room doctor, Jamie Gagan, administered an IV with Dilaudid, a medication that she is allergic to.

“As a result of being revived, Plaintiff continues to experience severe pain, disability and limitations and further, will incur extensive expenses throughout the remainder of her life,” the lawsuit states.

https://woai.iheart.com/content/2018...scitating-her/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I would imagine she has a good case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Interesting story. I had a DNR that was ignored by the University of New Mexico hospital in Albuquerque, NM. Common practice?

So when they brought me off life support, the nurse asks "You didn't really want this, did you?" (about the DNR) I'm thinking "Does it f-ing matter?"

So if I had sued I could be in the newspaper and a topic on Debate Policy and everything? Boy did I ever miss out
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Interesting story. I had a DNR that was ignored by the University of New Mexico hospital in Albuquerque, NM. Common practice?

So when they brought me off life support, the nurse asks "You didn't really want this, did you?" (about the DNR) I'm thinking "Does it f-ing matter?"

So if I had sued I could be in the newspaper and a topic on Debate Policy and everything? Boy did I ever miss out
    You might be rich too, bro. Might not be too late to sue either.

Get with the program, man. Everybody sues...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 11-17-2018 at 06:45 PM.

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    You might be rich too, bro. Might not be too late to sue either.

Get with the program, man. Everybody sues...
    Y'know, if I had ended up a veggie in a chair staring out the window I might care. You can ask Jimbob ... I just took it in stride. Probably didn't make much sense to him anyway. I was loopy from the anesthesia forever. Not to mention he and Kathianne think I talk funny. Yankees

I never considered suing. The military paid the damned bill so it wasn't like I was buried in debt or anything. I basically thought everything was funny even when it wasn't.

Besides, what if the doctor I slammed into the wall sued ME? If I was going to sue, it would be for them cutting that anesthesia so thin I came out of it enough on life support to yank the incabation tube out of my throat and THAT is what caused the stroke and me to flatline. I just don't think like that.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post