Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default “People do not want to do this work”

Sign of the times? The quote lifted for the title is certainly encouraging if nothing else -

”Soaring” staff shortages have resulted in roughly 10,000 posts being unfilled at major slaughterhouses, reports British farming industry magazine Farmers Weekly. The shift in the industry could cause animal protein companies to “seriously struggle” to complete Christmas orders, an industry leader said.

The shortage of workers has become more severe in the last 12 months, according to Nick Allen, the chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association (BMPA). In 2017, less than five percent of positions were unfilled. Now, 10 to 15 percent of the 75,000 jobs in the meat processing industry are vacant.

Throughput has not yet been impacted, however, its future is uncertain. “There were no major problems last year,” Allen said. “But we [the BMPA] could see a scenario where they [meat processors] say: ‘Sorry, we can only do so many animals this week’.”

Jonny Williams, senior livestock procurement officer for Scottish co-operative Farm Stock, disclosed that the reason behind the falling staff numbers is simply lack of interest. “It does not seem to be that the salary is the issue. People do not want to do this work,” he revealed.
    https://www.livekindly.co/10000-jobs...meat-industry/
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

2. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The more generations go by that the leftist liberals churn out sissy progressives from their leftist liberal indoctrination centers, commonly known as schools, the more lazy, pussified and entitled the kids become. Falling testosterone levels, heads pumped full of liberal garbage and the world is witnessing the results. It will be the ruin of everything someday.

I'm glad I'm as old as I am. I got to live the majority of my life in better times. Even if I was given the option to extend my life by 100 years or whatever, live indefinitely, I'd turn it down. I don't like the direction this world is taking. I wouldn't fit in 50 years from now. I'd rather be dead than see what kind of a total shit hole the liberals will turn the world into.

And I know you read my comments, Noir, even though you're scared to respond to something I've said. You are part of the problem. You're a gutless little, low testosterone liberal.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.

4. Thanks Elessar, Drummond, Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Hand out some visas that promise citizenship at the US-Mexico border and you'll be turning people away.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Sign of the times? The quote lifted for the title is certainly encouraging if nothing else -

https://www.livekindly.co/10000-jobs...meat-industry/
    I hope this isn't connected to the issue of EU migrant workers, clearing off back to their homelands because us British dare to want control of our own borders, immigration control ditto ?

It's infuriating, if so. Time us 'locals' started filling the jobs they're vacating (reducing unemployment levels into the bargain). It's called 'taking responsibility for your own destiny' .....
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

7. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Once the hourly wage rises to attractive levels, all those positions will be filled promptly. That's how things work.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

9. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes OAK liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Once the hourly wage rises to attractive levels, all those positions will be filled promptly. That's how things work.
    Agreed. You would think the other qualifier would be "be hungry enough" but leftwingers don't look at it that way. They'll starve until you spoon feed them for free.

I'm with HPD on that one. I mowed grass, washed cars, painted garages, hired out as a roofer's bitch hauling shingles up ladders all day -- and that was BEFORE I was 16. Pumped gas, Washed dishes, delivered pizza, cooked, did food prep work and been a bouncer in a biker bar between 16 and the Marine Corps. All for not much money.

That was in the 70s. There WERE "no jobs" to be had then. Not that was going to pay worth anything. Yet you could STILL scrape one up. I'm a meat chopping MFer for rent and groceries.

If the job's there and you're too good for it? Starve. I WILL caveat that with I would go with the starving thing before I would do service plumbing.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain, Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Agreed. You would think the other qualifier would be "be hungry enough" but leftwingers don't look at it that way. They'll starve until you spoon feed them for free.

I'm with HPD on that one. I mowed grass, washed cars, painted garages, hired out as a roofer's bitch hauling shingles up ladders all day -- and that was BEFORE I was 16. Pumped gas, Washed dishes, delivered pizza, cooked, did food prep work and been a bouncer in a biker bar between 16 and the Marine Corps. All for not much money.

That was in the 70s. There WERE "no jobs" to be had then. Not that was going to pay worth anything. Yet you could STILL scrape one up. I'm a meat chopping MFer for rent and groceries.

If the job's there and you're too good for it? Starve. I WILL caveat that with I would go with the starving thing before I would do service plumbing.
    Damn straight, brother. I grew up on a farm. We weren't given a choice. You worked, period, end of discussion. You went to school, came home and did your homework, and then WORKED on the farm. Weekends, chores first, then maybe do something for fun if everything else was done. But I baled hay, stacked it on wagons, piled it in the haymow, mucked out barn stalls, cleaned pig pens, fed the livestock, helped friends on their farms, I did whatever, and the vast majority if those jobs I did, including on our own farm, I made about $2 an hour, BUT, I owned a go kart, a minibike, two motorcycles, a boat AND had my own car by the time I was 16. I'd like to see one of these little low testosterone, too fat and stupid to join the military, entitled, brain washed little pussies today try and follow me around 40 years ago... pfft... they probably couldn't do the work I can do NOW. It's pathetic. New generations of worthless, fat, stupid, lazy punks. Not ALL mind you, but ENOUGH, and getting worse every year.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-09-2018 at 03:20 PM.

13. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Of course, and meat eaters can enjoy ever rising prices because of it (:
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I hope this isn't connected to the issue of EU migrant workers, clearing off back to their homelands because us British dare to want control of our own borders, immigration control ditto ?

It's infuriating, if so. Time us 'locals' started filling the jobs they're vacating (reducing unemployment levels into the bargain). It's called 'taking responsibility for your own destiny' .....
    Can’t speak for the slaughterhouse industry - but anecdotally from speaking with nurses I know the number of immigrant nurses is already way down this year compared to other years so we have that to look forward to ^,^

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Of course, and meat eaters can enjoy ever rising prices because of it (:

Yep, that's how it works. I don't mind paying premium price for premium meats.

I also like driving my V8 Chevy Suburban with a 42 gallon tank. I drive manly trucks, eat meat in 99% of my meals and I pay for it.

That's how the world works, Noir.

17. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I also like driving my V8 Chevy Suburban with a 42 gallon tank. I drive manly trucks, eat meat in 99% of my meals and I pay for it.

OMG NT... ALL that TOXIC MASCULINITY in your comment...

(I've got a V8 Suburban too... )
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.

19. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    OMG NT... ALL that TOXIC MASCULINITY in your comment...

(I've got a V8 Suburban too... )

I was also going to discuss the rising cost of ammunition for when I kill a moose with my .375, but I think we've already covered that.

I mean, really, it's almost $5 per round. But you're getting 800# of dressed meat out of the deal, so that really helps offset the cost of a bullet.

And I like my steaks rare. Gotta have lots of pink in those delicious steaks.

21. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, SassyLady liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

This is a nationwide issue for slaughterhouses in the U.K. so it wouldn’t just mean people paying extra for “premium meats” but also “fast food” and “cheap” meats.

For those who can pay extra, and who don’t mind paying extra, nothing much changes - but that will not be everyone, and it’s unlikely for this kind of a trend to reverse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Can’t speak for the slaughterhouse industry - but anecdotally from speaking with nurses I know the number of immigrant nurses is already way down this year compared to other years so we have that to look forward to ^,^
    I'm all for OUR OWN PEOPLE getting jobs where, previously, an immigrant had taken that job.

Or must our own people, courtesy of a diktat originating from 'PC' thinking, always expect to lose out on even the opportunity of employment ??
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

This is a nationwide issue for slaughterhouses in the U.K. so it wouldn’t just mean people paying extra for “premium meats” but also “fast food” and “cheap” meats.

For those who can pay extra, and who don’t mind paying extra, nothing much changes - but that will not be everyone, and it’s unlikely for this kind of a trend to reverse.

The actual cost to the consumer of a few bucks more per hour will be a couple of cents in the store.

You're making the same argument that liberals use for illegals picking vegetables, which, incidently, was the same one used to defend slavery for picking cotton.

As it turns out, picking cotton and vegetables is completely economical and people buy cotton today more than they did when slaves picked it for 'free'.

I don't care if my avacado costs a nickel more when the wage paid supports a legal American busting his ass doing his job. I really don't give a damn about a nickel at all, honestly.

Do the math on your slaughterhouse worker shortage, and you'll find that a few bucks more hourly is a few cents on the consumer end and will have no effect on your economy, except perhaps a boost from that worker actually making a decent wage with disposable income to pump back into the economy. Oh, and there will be increased tax revenue from that worker making more money, too, but that will also be very minimal .

Your glee in thinking that the worker shortage is somehow going to pan out into something substantial is way off target. The economy will adjust itself accordingly and the planet will continue to spin and normal people will continue to eat meat like we have for untold millennia . That's the beauty of free markets.

25. Likes SassyLady liked this post